Clonecommando007

Why does everyone like Fabuland?

This is an honest question, not a complaint. I looked at all the fabuland sets on brickset, and the line ended before I was even born, ok? :-D So I'm not trying to sound like a baddie or anything. But I've heard lots of great stuff about fabuland, and at first glance at the sets, it's just simple buildings with oversized animals. So please, take this question seriously, why does everyone like fabuland? It resembles what would today be considered a kids line. Was there somekind of story, or magical appeal to it?

Please let me know! I'd really like to know what all the love of fabuland is about. X-D

This is an honest question, not a complaint. I looked at all the fabuland sets on brickset, and the line ended before I was even born, ok? :-D So I'm not trying to sound like a baddie or anything. But I've heard lots of great stuff about fabuland, and at first glance at the sets, it's just simple buildings with oversized animals. So please, take this question seriously, why does everyone like fabuland? It resembles what would today be considered a kids line. Was there somekind of story, or magical appeal to it?

Please let me know! I'd really like to know what all the love of fabuland is about. X-D

Fabuland is a state of mind. The line does contain some interesting parts we've never seen elsewhere, but to really get it, you need to catch up here. *y*

its the love of innocence!

animals loving each other having a good time!

bright colors cool buildings

basic stuff

and if you are 4 years old you just love it!

my first sets ever where fabuland!! (and my brother was buying Classic space at the time)

i guess its a "you had to be there" situation!

Indeed it is a love of innocence - in fact, Hinkley is the most innocent person on EB!*

*Disclaimer: Hinkley is not innocent of stealing Sinner's bucket.

:-D

Indeed, though, Fabuland is yearn to be a child. Man. Man-child. THERE you go.

Quick! Run! Before Hinckley gets here with his huge Fabuland hammer and/or axe!

Well... They're cute, and TLC made some really cool parts, such as the abovementioned hammer and/or axe. :-$

Will

and if you are 4 years old you just love it!

If you are 31, you also just love it! *wub* Ugh, I hate writing my age down. Not that I have a problem being 31, but if I stumble on this topic a year from now I'll think "Where did that year of my life go :'-( ?"

I love Fabuland for many reasons, but mostly nostalgia. Fabuland was a gateway from Duplo to System. It felt like a more advanced building toy but it wasn't beyond my matrix reasoning with the bigger parts. My first two Fabuland sets were the 328 Roadster and 137 Hospital and playing with them felt like I was obeying an instinct. It's such a simple idea, people with animal heads, but they bring such joy and creativity. Then, they canceled the line in the States... :'-( They discontinued Fabuland because I guess it wasn't selling well. The line continued in Europe and when I wrote to the LEGO company to ask them to make more ( :-D I wish I still had that letter) they sent me a mail order catalog where they had re-released Fabuland for the States only through the mail. They came straight from Denmark so they took 6-8 weeks to get there, but I was so excited. 2 or 3 years had passed since they were selling them in the States so half of the sets had the creepy googly eyes, but there were new doors and windows, slides, merry-go-rounds, ferris wheels and the paddle steamer! I was so happy! Then my parents said I was too old for Fabuland. :'-( So after a couple more years of collecting I was forced to get only System sets but that was right when Pirates came out and I was okay with it. I didn't want anyone to think I was a baby or a girl if I was getting Fabuland, but I always felt like my parents didn't understand me. It wasn't about the age limit, I wanted a walrus figure... :-$

That was the other important thing about Fabuland is that they all had character. Each set came with a booklet and gave a specific personality to each character so it was great for me because I loved to tell stories when I played so it was great to have such a huge resource of different characters to put into different situations. We had a sandbox behind our garage and I was constantly playing "Shipwreck" X-D . Of course that ended when my parents pointed out that every time I brought the hose over to the sandbox, I was washing the sand out into the yard. It was built with rail road ties, not like the modern plastic sandbox tables...

But yes, I've always had a fascination with them that is 1% unexplainable. Literally, a lot of the relationships in Fabuland Housewives were based on relationships I had the characters build when I was playing with them as a kid. All the original couplings (except the gay ones :-$ I didn't understand that when I was nine ;-) ) were how I paired them up when I was a kid. :-D :-D :-D Oh, someone call the mental home...

Yes i really like the innocents of this line and the cuteness of the animal figures!

I liked the little mini sets that where produced aswell like the baker boy rabbit and the little fisherman elephant!

I think probably my main likeness for fabuland is Hinckleys fabuland housewives, it's so adorable! :-D

well honestly, i only had one motorcycle of fabuland as a child but my niece had lots of this stuff and it just was great! the figs were really, it was all so innocent and simple but at the same time allowed a child so much room for fantasy and imagination. Sure the bricks were big, but that allowed to build larger houses with 2 or more floors which was quite impossible with the small normal bricks, because it would take too much time.

That being said, even though fabuland is very popular on the second hand market, it think it's now more for collectors than for kids. Many afols would by it today out of nostalgia, but i think the kids today would find it stupid and boring.

If i ever got turned into my sig-fig that the first place i'd is fabuland!!!! thats so i can destoy it!!! >:-) I hate fabuland! its so badly done and those damn oversized animals. And especially that damn walrus *evil laugh* destoy fabuland burn and destroy it all!!!!! >:-)

If i ever got turned into my sig-fig that the first place i'd is fabuland!!!! thats so i can destoy it!!! >:-) I hate fabuland! its so badly done and those damn oversized animals. And especially that damn walrus *evil laugh* destoy fabuland burn and destroy it all!!!!! >:-)

Somebody is in trouble now... :-D

Anyways, thank you all for explaining. I will read through the fabuland housewives and try to develope some love for fabuland like the rest of Eurobricks. X-D

My sister was the one with Fabuland back in the day, but it was good fun to play with I remember. Lego for me was more about building models, but Fabuland brought the make-believe character interaction to life.

I loved the detailed pieces too like the fridge and the tiles with various things printed on (my sis had Catherine Cat's kitchen).

It wasn't about the age limit, I wanted a walrus figure... :-$

Funny, most men start dreaming of a certain hourglass figure. :-P

Somebody is in trouble now... :-D

Anyways, thank you all for explaining. I will read through the fabuland housewives and try to develope some love for fabuland like the rest of Eurobricks. X-D

haha i don't think you can get banned for not liking a theme, but i might get in trouble when i try to tke down the master of the EDIT: fabulands muhahahaha >:-)

EDIT: hmm now who could that be *looks at post below, hmm i know!!! comming to get you hinck muhahahaha.ahah m

Edited by hollisbrick

Funny, most men start dreaming of a certain hourglass figure. :-P

yeah well...that never happened. :-$

I actually won a big fabuland set in a building contest, with a post office and a store :-$

While i did build a really crap entry :-D

I also have the walrus boat, the police bike and some car.

I still have these and when making crazy comics they can be real fun i think.