I’ve been troubled by the vulnerability of LEGO parts on heavy models for a long time. Especially some crucial parts related to drivetrains, like universal joint, bevel gear, etc.

One solution I can think of is to distribute torque by using multiple drivetrains.

Instead of using 2 groups of motors driving the wheels on each side respectively, I built a live axle chassis with a dual-drivetrain system. In this way we don’t lose the benefit of differential while cornering.

I actually designed 2 experimental MOCs utilizing this system. Today I’m gonna show you one of them -  Mitsubishi Pajero.

38995478664_a8e553d14f_b.jpg

Bodywork is based on the very first generation of Pajero series, which was introduced in 1982.

Some details have been exaggerated for a better looking, like the bull bar, rooftop, and engine hood.

39673309012_47d20be8bf_b.jpg

39704435041_e97f588054_b.jpg

This MOC is built more for aesthetic purposes.

Due to wheelbase concern, it’s only rear-wheel drive. Luckily both front and rear suspensions are quite responsive, which will help just a little bit on tractions when driving off-road.

39704427841_93a5361a00_b.jpg

Each drivetrain is driven by an L Motor, rotates in opposite directions, and together they drive a single differential.

I also managed to put a 2-speed linear gearbox in it. some renders to show them all:

38806683865_84d64eddab_b.jpg

38806659585_2754a61caa_b.jpg

25832330448_ac3de216b7_b.jpg

Outdoor test:

I never expected it to have a great performance given the fact that it is 2-wheel drive and those 62.4mm tyres have a really bad traction.

I think it is acceptable for its configuration.

More photos:

39673324892_43ceac12b1_b.jpg

39704420751_042d4b90c9_b.jpg

39673318922_00579b9513_b.jpg

38806810995_6a1ea7bbeb_b.jpg

39704419261_b8fb67b195_b.jpg

Upcoming New MOC

This new MOC is a 4x4 model with a similar but different drivetrain.

It is still an unfinished prototype, but I can’t help giving you guys a sneak peek of it.

Stay tuned and enjoy :classic:

24835656847_c9c9c09e5a_b.jpg

Edited by KevinMoo

It's very visually accurate! 

I particularly like the use of two drivetrains from the motors to the differential, is it like that on the real model?

Love it! Very cool. Just reposted to LTR

I've always loved your work and this is another gem from you :wub:

More importantly, though - how are you? I seem to recall you weren't doing too well some weeks ago.

2 minutes ago, suffocation said:

I've always loved your work and this is another gem from you :wub:

More importantly, though - how are you? I seem to recall you weren't doing too well some weeks ago.

Thanks. I’m doing better. It takes time to recover.

42 minutes ago, letsbuild said:

is it like that on the real model?

To be honest I really don’t know. This MOC is not aimed to recreate the real drivetrain.

Really like all your MOC's. Have build them all and looking forward for any new MOC's in the future!! This new has a very unique drive train and it will be fun to try this out...thanks!!

2 hours ago, KevinMoo said:

To be honest I really don’t know. This MOC is not aimed to recreate the real drivetrain.

Either way, looks great! 

Wow... I love how compact your designs always are. The looks are splendid and great functions to boot. Keep on building!! Can’t wait for the new one 

This is awesome  I love the compact mechanics of it all! And the body looks great, the added bits like the bull bar really suit it :wub:

Great model, and beautifully photographed. The windows do look a bit high, but when searching for pictures I saw the Pajero junior also has a pretty high body profile.

Very smart drivetrain:wub:

Looks great! There's lots of interesting assemblies - including the door handles, which I like. 

I also like the use of a small wheel as the steering wheel - it's a much more realistic size than the pre-made ones.

Wow, this is great. The drive train is very interesting - nice to see an old school linear gearbox updated with powered shifting and for the dual drive trains.

The use of connectors on the bodywork and seats is inspired - the row at the side of the bonnet and along the top of the sills really helps give it shape - nice work!

Also great to see the steering wheel on the right side (both senses of the word!) :)

Excellent work! The drivetrain and the chassis are very well done. The symmetry in the dual drivetrain is a very 'good smell' imo. And I love the bodywork style :wub:!

Edited by Didumos69

As I said before, level of detail, presentation and overall look of your models is the same as  top-builders do:thumbup:

Its the little details that appear when you look for the third or fourth time, like the passenger grab rail on the dash, or how the rear tow bar is integrated into the rear bull bars

There is a lot of clever design, and integration of beams and joints, certainly another master class in building.