Sign in to follow this  
Professor Thaum

[Era II - Ch I - Cat. B - nmr 4] Keep off the grass

previously

Doctor's Thaum diary

Jameston, January 618, the 15th

Celestia Superb Orchid Search, 10th day

We left the shores of Celestia and we enter the inner island fives days ago. The rank vegetation drove the Garret twins to opt for

water travel, they built two basics but strongs rafts and we continue the travel through this thick jungle by the easiest way...

Indeed it seems that a travel on dry land could have huge impact on the untouch flore of Celestia.

coxl.png

I have to scold Callaghan many times to avoid the scraping of some beautiful but fragile flowers

like this beautiful one - thanks to the swampy area, no doubt that we have here another kind of Arum (Fig A).

e62q.png

We could see, a beautiful colored snake (Fig B), but we don't have many information except Iauln drawing because Callaghan refuse to help us for scientific testing

like knowing if it was poisonous or if its bite was painful or if it was a constrictor one.

The highlights of this swamp travel was a wonderful giant carnivorous plant like we have never seen before, once again Callaghan refuse to take part to any scientific test.

Iauln made some drawings while Sven and I were starstruck by such a beauty (Fig C.) We decided to call it  "hungarius uncontrollibus drosera" as it certainly use snap traps

to ensure prey catching.

z3yj.png Fig A.

Arum Bromeliaceae gigas

yfyt.jpg Fig B.               

9oso.png Fig C.

Hungarius Uncontrollibus Drosera

C&C welcome, this is sadly my last challenge 1 built, because of the dead of my PC and so the lose of many pics (not only those of the challenge :cry3: )

What a great entry! The swamp/grassland looks very "alive" and works well with the tiled water. The story around the build is great too - you really love to abuse Calaghan, eh? :laugh:

Do you know where the the parts of the first flower ("Fig. A") come from? I have never seen them before.

4 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

this is sadly my last challenge 1 built, because of the dead of my PC and so the lose of many pics (not only those of the challenge :cry3: )

Oh no! :cry_sad:

Can you not make new pictures of at least the missing challenge entries in time?

Those are some great imaginative plant designs.  The style of presentation with B/W photos, annotations, and the underlying story have made it a great series to follow.

5 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

C&C welcome, this is sadly my last challenge 1 built, because of the dead of my PC and so the lose of many pics (not only those of the challenge :cry3: )

Dang.  This happened to me this past fall as well.  Combined with the photobucket fiasco, I spent a month contemplating giving things up.  Stay with us Prof.!  We need your mercenary brand of science.

Prof - I know its frustrating loosing work ... Take the computer to an actual computer repairman if your not capable yourself (not the best buy kind) unless it cooked the hard drive a lot of your data may be recoverable from your hard drive.  

The build: I have enjoyed the "sketches" of the encounters ... I find it clever and find myself going back and forth from the drawing to the color photo to see how it was executed.  I love the "latin" species names as well.

12 hours ago, Kwatchi said:

...  Combined with the photobucket fiasco ...

I have several how to articles on the custom car forums (actual cars) that are ruined because of this ... Plus all of my linked custom builds (owned my own fab shop for a bit) all the links broken .... I never did migrate the 2000 photos anywhere else ... And im not paying that price ... I didn't mind paying the extra storage but that much to use my own photos? No thanks ... Lost customer forever even if they go back to free.

Thanks for the kind words, I will be off delay for the cat C. built : I have to rebuild it whole to retake pics (and it was pretty huge) and I had planned one more cat. B entry (pics lost too) but I think I will rebuild them both and post them even if I am off challenge.

13 hours ago, Drunknok said:

Do you know where the the parts of the first flower ("Fig. A") come from? I have never seen them before.

From a Lego "bionicle" or "hero factory" set of my older son. I don't remind.

13 hours ago, Drunknok said:

Can you not make new pictures of at least the missing challenge entries in time?

No, because the builts were pretty old (I made them in september and so took the pics) I had a story arc planned in Celestia searching the orchid before the challenge was created, but my builts don't last long because my youngest son is a fierce lego raider and a rapid builder. I have to rebuilt, and I will be off delay, but I will rebuilt them however. 

1 hour ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

Take the computer to an actual computer repairman

For the computer, no way to have the pics back, it is really dead. one of the hard drive is "cooked" also seems to be the motherboard. I hope the second hard drive is not as knackered.

Edited by Professor Thaum

A great jungle entry ! I always like jungle stuff... :pir-laugh:

I like all those carnivorous plants ! Great design !

May your computer rest in peace... Je compatis... :cry_sad:

A great job from you for all this challenge ! Congrats !

3 minutes ago, Faladrin said:

A great jungle entry ! I always like jungle stuff... :pir-laugh:

I like all those carnivorous plants ! Great design !

May your computer rest in peace... Je compatis... :cry_sad:

A great job from you for all this challenge ! Congrats !

Merci Faladrin, j'avoue être bien plus embêté par la perte de nombreux fichiers lego que par la mort de l'ordi.

1 hour ago, Professor Thaum said:

For the computer, no way to have the pics back, it is really dead. one of the hard drive is "cooked" also seems to be the motherboard. I hope the second hard drive is not as knackered.

Ahh quite unfortunate ... I would look forward to the completion of the story none the less even if not within the proper challenge timeframe

Great job with the raft on the river and all the vegetation. You've done a wonderful job with the subjects of the detail pics. :thumbup:

Probably the best one of your whole series, fantastic flowers and overall atmosphere to it. Amazingly wonderful work.

With all the creative and unique plants and creatures you have depicted for CatB I think you definitely deserve to be among the winners.

The one thing which is left for you to improve on to make a major improvement in quality is picture quality. I'd suggest two things:
1) Try to take photos in perfect lighting conditions. LED light may help if daylight is not sufficient. Hold the camera stable, take multiple pics of the same thing, and select the best. Your angles are already great, lighting can be improved.
2) Use some editing tool to do some small postproduction. It does not have to be 100% like taking hours to cut out all background etc. Just increase contrast and saturation a bit to lift the "gray veil" from the images. Just a quick example (probably a bit exaggerated):

profedit.jpg

A nice entry with tons of laughs! I liked the inclusion of the tiled river and the carnivorous plant! I'm sad to hear that your pc exploded or something :pir-look:

On 21/01/2018 at 12:53 PM, Elostirion said:

Probably the best one of your whole series, fantastic flowers and overall atmosphere to it. Amazingly wonderful work.

With all the creative and unique plants and creatures you have depicted for CatB I think you definitely deserve to be among the winners.

The one thing which is left for you to improve on to make a major improvement in quality is picture quality. I'd suggest two things:
1) Try to take photos in perfect lighting conditions. LED light may help if daylight is not sufficient. Hold the camera stable, take multiple pics of the same thing, and select the best. Your angles are already great, lighting can be improved.
2) Use some editing tool to do some small postproduction. It does not have to be 100% like taking hours to cut out all background etc. Just increase contrast and saturation a bit to lift the "gray veil" from the images. Just a quick example (probably a bit exaggerated):

profedit.jpg

Sorry to have not replied about this (I missed it :wall: ) : the photoshoping job you made is handsome but I'm unable to do so, I'm very bad with a PC (very very bad)... I'm just able to use LDD, a forum and some wordslike document, except this I'm quite an incapable with a computer.

Nice scene! The carnivorous plant looks terrifying, reminds me of some adventure movies in the 80's.

19 minutes ago, Professor Thaum said:

Sorry to have not replied about this (I missed it :wall: ) : the photoshoping job you made is handsome but I'm unable to do so, I'm very bad with a PC (very very bad)... I'm just able to use LDD, a forum and some wordslike document, except this I'm quite an incapable with a computer.

https://www169.lunapic.com/editor/

Upload your image (or copy-paste the URL).

In the navigation under "Adjust" select "Color Saturation", "Brightness" and "Contrast".

Whoever is able to MOC in LDD will be able to use this for sure. :-) 

151904506363384268?4976248890

16 minutes ago, Elostirion said:

Upload your image (or copy-paste the URL).

In the navigation under "Adjust" select "Color Saturation", "Brightness" and "Contrast".

I will have a look, thanks for the hint !