cimddwc

[mod] A more streamlined Diner

Hi everyone,

while one can accept the 10260 diner as an older building that had the Streamline Moderne diner and "jukebox" design added later (or as an architectural choice in the first place), I thought I'd modify my set to give the tan part a streamlined look, too. And I later added another floor, featuring the "ninja shop" from 70620 Ninjago Ciry with its rounded shop window, though with completely white edges. (And I built it mirrored since I'll place it at the right end of a row of houses.)

38992962854_a7940d0431_c.jpg

In its original height, different angle:

38992966324_0408dcba1a_z.jpg

And with extra floor:

38992964764_78fd85f9ce_z.jpg

There were some nasty half-plate-height distances to deal with... with the original set's upper floor being 9 snotted studs tall at the facade, half a plate taller than the wall behind it.

Back side is kept simple:

24833508777_2ae405cc2d_z.jpg

Shop interior, taken from Ninjago City and added a couple of ninjas:

38992963234_3095f50196_z.jpg

» Flickr album

By the way, I've kept the original walls with their nice window techniques in storage to use later on another building.

Hope you like it...

I like the streamlined version without the extra Ninja-floor! Could you also make a nice airstream caravan, to go with this set?

I didn’t expect less from someone who makes better modulars than TLG! I really love your MOD and prefer the version without the extra floor! I really started to want to modify my own too, did you use a lot of bricks for your collection? Could you give an approximate number of used extra bricks? Many thanks :classic:

Thanks!

Well, since I kept the original walls for another building and built all tan walls with my own parts, I can't really tell how many extra bricks that would be, sorry. You'll certainly need some plates, several tiles and the arch bricks for the corner...

Amazing! Such an aesthetic improvement, as the building now looks like an all new construction as opposed to a Populuxe reface of an older building (if that's how we are to interpret the official set). :thumbup:

Like the others have said, I prefer the three story variant over the four story one. But, do you think there may be a way to incorporate bow/arch parts into the White frame of the wraparound shop window, as so to mirror the streamlined style of the wraparound window of the Diner's ground floor?

I don't think there's a way to do that in a symmetric and continuously rounded style, and since the structure sticks out from the wall by more than 1 brick, the window panel would probably cause problems on the sides,. too.

That has an amazing impact upon the overall look of the building and radically improves its overall stylistic coherence. I like the idea of integrating the curved features from Ninjago City, though I think it does stand out a little incongruously at present. Maybe it would fit it more naturally if there was more white in place of tan elements across the rest of the facade?

Rounding the upper floors has definitely improved the design.  Now, it really looks like it belongs in Miami Beach! The ninja addition is fun as well.  

This looks so much more cohesive as a building... I too like the 3-story variant a bit better. I guess the only downside is that this would probably fit in with other modulars even less, since it doesn't have the older-style architecture as a bridge to them. 

Oh! This is how Downtown Diner should have looked from the beginning! I like the Modern Streamline part of the DD, and I also like the façade of the main building. But I do not think they fit together and wish the whole building was designed in Modern Streamline. You have made it a complete building, cimddwc. This is so much how it ought to be.

Besides that, I am with the others - I also prefer the three storey version of the building.

Edited by laka

Wow, the one in the original height looks so good. I will for sure see if I can manage to mod it in a similar way too. :thumbup:

Very nice. I like how it appears as though it's a singular design (i.e. design and built to look like that instead of looking like an older building which was given an Art Deco inspired partial makeover at a later stage in life). I really like how the curved design is mirrored on the upper floors.

I think a little more colour variation in the first two upper floors, perhaps the windowsills or the protruding architraves in white or another colour, would be more visually interesting.

Looks great.  I love when themes are mashed up.  The only thing I may have done differently was copy that one curve of the white bottom window frame onto the top white window frame.  I hope that makes sense.  

Cheers!

:classic: Beverly

Although it's a beautiful building, I'm pretty sure you have to wear uni-lens sunglasses and know at least one wobbly-tube-arm-lightbulb-headed-robotmen to go on in.

MAC

Thanks, everyone!

Regarding additional color: Well, I thought about it, but I think that might stand out a bit too much...

Fantastic. This curved corner is what I had in mind since I first saw it. Regarding the additional accent color, I was also wondering, so I've just done a quick photoshopping. It doesn't look bad at all to me.  (Hope you don't mind).

Captura%20de%20pantalla%202018-01-17%20a

I don't mind at all, and you're right, it does look good in this configuration.

Since I'll keep the building in my city in the 4-story version, I won't change it, though, since the extra floor has enough white in my opinion.

Yup, looks way better than the original! For some reason I like the fact that the upper floors have a science fiction/star wars touch to them. :D

1 hour ago, peedeejay said:

For some reason I like the fact that the upper floors have a science fiction/star wars touch to them. :D

Well, the Streamlined Moderne styling of that era was heavily associated with the projections of futurism from that time, so hence the impression. :classic: