LEGODalekbuster523

LEGO DC Villains (Videogame)

18 hours ago, BaneShake said:

The best way I've found is going into the extras photo gallery and saving it from there, although this sadly does leave the "exit" button prompt visible. I've gotten a handful of screenshots so far; do you want us to upload them here onto this page when we do?

Thanks! 

If you could send them to me attached in a PM, that would be great. :thumbup:

On 10/19/2018 at 1:11 AM, Numbuh1Nerd said:
  • Not nearly enough open world missions. Gold bricks and races are aplenty, but I'm fairly certain I've finished every open world mission in the first day in just about two or three hours. I could very well be wrong, with more hiding behind a wall of gold bricks and races, but man, if that's all there are, 100%ing this one is gonna be kind of a slog.
  • This is the nitpickiest one yet, but the fantastic cast really seems to highlight all of the iconic voices they missed. No Tim Daly or George Newbern on Superman, no Phil LaMarr on John Stewart, no Ron Perlman for Deathstroke, no Khary Payton on Cyborg, no John DiMaggio for Aquaman or Lobo, and some actors were passed over despite already being in the game, like Michael Rosenbaum's Deadshot! Not to mention, absolutely no one came in for the DLC. In fact, the only one of those characters with any voice lines as far as I can tell is the Atom, and he is very clearly not Brandon Routh. Matt Ryan's Constantine didn't even make it in, and that guy seems ready to pay *you* to let him play John!

I just wanted to add some new perspective to these two bits of criticism:

• There are actually plenty of open world missions, and even open world boss fights! I was just a big ol' dummy, as they were hiding behind a couple of the races and gold bricks! Perfectly satisfied with that aspect!
  • Brandon Routh apparently did record for Ray Palmer! I was only really hearing the one line, and he does in it in kind of a weird tone, so I thought it was an impression. Routh apparently is also the voice of Shazam in this game! I should also note that Vixen - while not patterned off of her television counterpart like Ray is - is in fact played by Megalyn Echikunwoke, who portrays the modern Vixen in the Arrowverse! 

Oh, and Billy Batson is played by the same kid who played him in DC Showcase: Superman/Shazam!, which is also the same kid who plays Steven Universe!

Well, I was going to give my impressions of the new Aquaman level, but when I started to do so, my freaking television seems to have bricked on me, somehow, and won't turn on at all. If I get the chance, I'll have some thoughts in the next few days about it.

UPDATE: Well, there'll probably be a more considerable delay on that. This morning my TV started smoking, so it's officially dead.

Edited by BaneShake

I'll give mine! It's probably best to let this level sit until you've seen the movie if you wanna go in completely dry (pun intended). This seems to adapt the first chunk of the movie - loosely, but closer than the DLC from LEGO Marvel 2, or so it seems. Of course, I haven't seen it yet, but it lines up with a lot of what we know already (including the line that made Amber Heard agree to play Mera!) and has some moments that feel more in line with a movie than a usual LEGO level. So, be warned there!

Most of the characters (save for Manta) seem to have one of two powersets - either Aquaman or Mera. Mera's aquakinesis lets her use Lantern construct spaces, and Arthur's trident lets him use baton switches. The designs are all really nice (although I still think Mera's outfit is the wrong color) and make me wish we got more sets based on the movie. 

If you're minikit hunting, switch over to player 2 for most of the level. Mera doesn't really have anything to do in terms of progression, but nearly all the minikits and the graffiti poster are on her side of the level. Plus, she can complete most of them herself, so you can make some serious progress in the very first run-through!

Voice-wise, it seems all they got was a decent impression of Jason Mamoa's Aquaman, as everyone else has been silent so far. Arthur narrates the level in Story Mode, so you get plenty of him. They cover up his drinking with hot chocolate (which I thought was pretty funny) and one of his voice lines when you call him in is the Justice League "My man!" which makes me feel like that DCEU character pack is going to reuse the same recordings for that Aquaman (which makes a lot of sense, not complaining). I don't know if Black Manta speaks or not, but his grunts are the same ones from the Black Manta we had before.

Interestingly, Orm's title card thingy seems to be made of promotional art for the movie, with an "Aquaman's" over his name complete with movie logo. I think even the typeface for his name is from a poster.

UPDATE: This level definitely adapts a scene in the movie, but without any of the important parts. It's only barely gonna give you more information than any of the trailers. Also: that line I mentioned from Mera wasn't in the movie after all - I think it might actually have been from the comics? Either way, it's a line about Mera that Amber Heard specifically mentioned as winning over for the role. I should also note that the movie starts out with some narration from Arthur as well, so that's a rather convenient little parallel! As far as major inaccuracies, all I can really point out is that Mera has a different outfit in that scene in the movie than her usual one as the game presents it, but who really cares, y'know?  Otherwise, not much to else to say after having seen the movie. (Except, y'know, go see this movie it's so cool and fun and sweet, it's really the best possible version of an Aquaman movie and I'm not even saying that as a dig on the character it's just genuinely that good and unashamed of its source material and i couldn't stop smiling from the moment act 3 kicked off for about a half hour after the credits rolled just aahaahghghghahah AQUAMAN)

Edited by Numbuh1Nerd

Having played through both parts of the Aquaman DLC, I feel like the DLC quality is definitely going up compared to past games. These are about the level of quality in the base game's levels, and though they are still a little too short compared to a standard level, they are closer to what they should be (Lego Batman 3, as I distinctly remember, had levels so short as to feel insignificant). I hate that the first level is essentially all boss fight, but it also has some clever boss fight moments, so it is still a very well put-together boss fight for the franchise's standards.

I did notice, several times, that it felt like the devs weren't allowed to see proper footage of some things from the movie, but were given the general details instead. The second level is particularly guilty of this, although it gets the spirit of the scene across well enough.

The characters are pretty awesome, too, although most are far too similar, with almost everyone having slight variations of Aquaman's powerset. Atlanna looks great with her silver trident, though, and Mera's water-weapons in combat look so cool. The Trench Creature, however, looks all wrong. The head and face are just recolored from the Swamp Monster from Monster Fighters, which is soooo bad because A) the head shape is entirely different, and B) the eyes aren't given big slit pupils in either the movie or the comics. Then the dumb things are colored a light baby blue, which is even dumber looking than the bad head piece. The movie has them as black and red, and the comics have them (usually) as black with glowing electric blue lines, similar to other deep sea creatures.

The B:tAS DLC isn't so much B:tAS as it is Mask of the Phantasm. You play as Batsy and Phantasm in the World's Fair scene from the movie...give or take. The only voice over is Lobo narrating it. The whole stage is cell-shaded like the Scooby-Doo world in Dimensions. Unlockable characters include Batman, Phantasm, Joker, Harley, Mad Hatter, Two-Face, Man-Bat, and Captain Clown. Feels like a couple of those were chosen just because they didn't have counterparts already in the game. I'm a little bummed by the character selection - I was really looking forward to a Nightwing or a Batgirl, or a Tim Drake Robin (although I should've assumed that wouldn't be the case when I saw all the designs were the original series designs and not the New Batman Adventures redesigns) - and they really could've added some more polish to the characters they chose. The designs are fine, but again, no new voice acting or terribly interesting animations as far as I can tell. I understand why they wouldn't fork over the extra cash to get Roddy McDowall or pull Arleen Sorkin out of retirement, but they had Kevin and Mark in the studio already, and more unique animation really only costs passion. It leaves me praying that the Young Justice DLC has more put into it. Kid Flash, Superboy, and Red Arrow at the least had better have unique voice lines - all their actors are already in the game - and it would certainly be a shame not to have Jesse McCartney do some stuff for Dick. 

Following up on the above (which are all very accurate statements), B:tAS, as a level, is very stylized, and the boss fights both felt fun. However, this feels like it may be the SHORTEST DLC level in any of these games that I'm aware of (the only "smaller" level I can think of is the Batman 75th from LB3, but the amount of time it takes to complete the puzzles across its meager one room took longer than beating this level for me). It truly feels a little too unsubstantial; not only is it two rooms, and about four puzzles total, but you only have to use Phantasm once. 

My biggest gripe, though, is how excruciatingly obnoxious Lobo's dialogue is. If they had left his voiceover out during the gameplay, it would've only been mildly weird, but he Just. Never. Shuts. Up.

Minor note, Batman would look great with an original type-1 cowl (since it was even designed to look like the one from B:tAS), but here it uses the type-2 cowl, which feels like the least accurate of the cowls created. More perplexingly, the promo image uses the type-3 cowl.

Anyone else having this issue? or have i missed something?

I have 100% complete game with all 242 characters at this point my issue is that even though i can transform into Clark Kent(movie) during game play he is showing as "locked" on the character select screen as the alternate form of Superman (movie)

On 3/19/2019 at 10:12 PM, BaneShake said:

Following up on the above (which are all very accurate statements), B:tAS, as a level, is very stylized, and the boss fights both felt fun. However, this feels like it may be the SHORTEST DLC level in any of these games that I'm aware of (the only "smaller" level I can think of is the Batman 75th from LB3, but the amount of time it takes to complete the puzzles across its meager one room took longer than beating this level for me). It truly feels a little too unsubstantial; not only is it two rooms, and about four puzzles total, but you only have to use Phantasm once. 

My biggest gripe, though, is how excruciatingly obnoxious Lobo's dialogue is. If they had left his voiceover out during the gameplay, it would've only been mildly weird, but he Just. Never. Shuts. Up.

Minor note, Batman would look great with an original type-1 cowl (since it was even designed to look like the one from B:tAS), but here it uses the type-2 cowl, which feels like the least accurate of the cowls created. More perplexingly, the promo image uses the type-3 cowl.

This one definitely did feel underwhelming as a level, and I agree: Lobo's narration wears on you FAST. Yet another instance where Kevin Conroy would've made a world of difference. Plus, that's not even Lobo's schtick. If they wanted a universal narrator, get Phantom Stranger or Ambush Bug or something. 

I'm honestly shocked that they got Zachary Levi to play Shazam in the game! They definitely didn't get anyone else, not even Asher Angel for Billy (I think Freddy didn't even get any voice lines). The level is a big improvement over the B:tAS one, but the character selection is a little limited (obviously, because their saving half the cast for the second part). We only get Billy, Freddy, and four of the Deadly Sins Enemies of Man (Pride, Envy, Gluttony, and Wrath). The Sins have far more colorful designs than they have in the movie, which is kind of a bummer in the game's favor. There's only a couple of Sins in the movie that look identifiable at a glance, but the games are all pretty distinguishable. 

So, has anyone EVER figured out how to make the character customizer behave? I still can't get energy blasts to shoot from Flashpoint Batman's guns. Either it shoots from his hands or it doesn't shoot at all.

EDIT: I finally figured out a decent enough solution. You can't have custom bolts on the guns if you want them to fire. Leave no ability on the Tap Square option and they'll at least fire regular, non-customizable bullets.

Edited by BaneShake

Guys! Good update, and one I've not seen mentioned on here: several Lego Movie 2 characters have been updated into the game: Batman, Alfred, Harley Quinn, and Green Lantern all have their unique looks from Apocalypseburg in the game now. Not even as a character pack, they're simply in the game now! I'm on PS4, and if anyone else can confirm other consoles, that would be awesome.

On 4/20/2019 at 11:38 AM, BaneShake said:

Guys! Good update, and one I've not seen mentioned on here: several Lego Movie 2 characters have been updated into the game: Batman, Alfred, Harley Quinn, and Green Lantern all have their unique looks from Apocalypseburg in the game now. Not even as a character pack, they're simply in the game now! I'm on PS4, and if anyone else can confirm other consoles, that would be awesome.

Switch's got 'em, too!