LEGODalekbuster523

LEGO DC Villains (Videogame)

1 hour ago, J4ck said:

And like TLBM with the Batgirl Polybag where it’s folded and stuffed in?

Yes...? 

I didn’t buy those games, but from the reporting I’ve read and researched about this game—I believe that to be the case. 

As a PC gamer who usually religiously pre-orders all Lego games for the figure, the recent trend of minifigures being packaged in deluxe versions of the game (that are console-only) are pretty disappointing. I understand it’s probably a better system than the slightly shady bin of figures that may or may not be in stock at the store, but I wish Lego/TT Games would do something for us PC gamers.

Amazon has me set up for day one delivery tomorrow. I'll be out running my work appointments over the afternoon, but tomorrow night I should have some first impressions to share.

Great work as usual

My fav was the Toy Man. Very well done :thumbup:

And I have to say that I loved he used the Arkham City Main Theme. :wub: Love that ost

After playing a couple of levels, I'm so far impressed on all fronts. Writing and voice acting are top notch, even when I don't immediately recognize the voice actor proper. I've actually audibly laughed at more than one joke.

Gameplay feels less "floaty" than some of the other Lego games, which is good. And the second level is going to be very well-loved by anyone who played the original Lego Batman back in the day; it even has a well-designed boss battle of the sort I always wanted to see back in that game.

There have been a couple of subtle nods to the classic Batman movies and to Arkham City as well.

Definitely jumping back in soon.

I’m loving the game so far! :wub:

Particularly the amazing voice cast and writing. I’ve played five or six levels so far, and all of them have been both engaging and surprising. 

I’ve not really free-roamed yet, but the hubs look spectacular and I love that you are required to traverse the hub to continue the story missions. I will say though, driving is super difficult and all the cars seem to have the turn radius of a mountain. :grin:

Other random thoughts: 

• I love the main theme song from the menu and the Hall of Doom. It’s probably from somewhere, but it’s spectacular! 
  • The level/set design is awesome—I particularly love the Iceberg Lounge. 
  • The last Lego game, aside from Dimensions, that I’ve played was Marvel 1–so I’m a bit surprised at how many actions/abilities can now be used with just a few controller buttons...although I find it annoying when you keep accidentally shrinking or growing when you are trying to do something else. 
  • The character creator is great! But my imagination was limited at the start—I basically just made Catman...the creator at the start seems rather limited and I didn’t want to make a half-baked character from the get-go. 

1 minute ago, Captain Nemo said:

Particularly the amazing voice cast and writing. I’ve played five or six levels so far, and all of them have been both engaging and surprising. 

I’ve not really free-roamed yet, but the hubs look spectacular and I love that you are required to traverse the hub to continue the story missions. I will say though, driving is super difficult and all the cars seem to have the turn radius of a mountain. :grin:

Other random thoughts: 

• I love the main theme song from the menu and the Hall of Doom. It’s probably from somewhere, but it’s spectacular! 
  • The last Lego game, aside from Dimensions, that I’ve played was Marvel 1–so I’m a bit surprised at how many actions/abilities can now be used with just a few controller buttons...although I find it annoying when you keep accidentally shrinking or growing when you are trying to do something else. 
  • The character creator is great! But my imagination was limited at the start—I basically just made Catman...the creator at the start seems rather limited and I didn’t want to make a half-baked character from the get-go. 

Good summary; I basically made me into the character creation, although slightly more muscular than real life... I do wish they had included hoodie options for initial creation, as my love of my (obnoxiously) bright teal hoodie would've been perfect for my purposes.

And this is the song:

I had to do quick research to find it. I knew it was Wolfmother from recognizing their sound from a different song, but I wasn't familiar with this one.

On 10/16/2018 at 8:54 AM, Robert8 said:

Great work as usual

And I have to say that I loved he used the Arkham City Main Theme. :wub: Love that ost

...and now, @Ashnflash has just followed it up with a custom Bricktober pack. :classic:

Just over halfway through the levels. I am seriously impressed with how good the writing is; there are several interesting and unexpected moments so far, and a few set up just for your custom character to look awesome (I highly recommend you either play as yourself or any original character you have a lot of fondness for, because these will fill you with pride). I do hate that Darkseid's presence was given away in trailers; the story is legitimately strong enough that it would have been something of a twist, although very well foreshadowed so as to get any DC fans with knowledge of the lore excited for it beforehand.

Beat the main story levels (there are a few more bonus levels I haven't beaten yet) and spent a little time running around in the main world. I stand by what I've said before; I love the story. It is extremely well-paced. Unlike Marvel 2 or Batman 3, which both had pacing problems as well as a "heroes gather a set of MacGuffins" for large chunks of story, this one is balanced out well; what you are doing, and who you are doing it as, is always changing up to keep things fresh. Even characters like Batman, Joker, or Harley, who can often be overused to the point of overshadowing everyone else, feel perfectly balanced for their roles. Your character stays very important to the plot without ever becoming a Mary Sue or getting overused, and frankly, this addition has made this one of the best Lego games hands-down. Future games definitely need to include this as well, as much as possible. While some of the movie-based ones obviously won't allow it, future original story games like Marvel and DC should, and with a little imagination, others could too; imagine a Lego Harry Potter game where you make a trio of original characters a la Harry, Hermione, and Ron, and have your own lessons and adventures at Hogwarts. I would buy the crap out of that game.

Here are some beats from the story I particularly liked. Obviously, spoilers ahoy :jollyroger:.

Spoiler

A couple of times, the normal camera switches to a security camera showing your characters, such as Joker and Captain Cold locked up in their cells. Not a huge detail but it shows how much extra attention TT Games is willing to put into their games now; it's just good design.

The boss fights are almost always awesome; fighting Batgirl in the Iceberg Lounge was the first to wow me (I always wanted to fight the Bat-family during villain levels of LB 1, but to no luck). King Shark and Black Manta vs Ocean Master, as well as Steppenwolf on the train, also come to mind as rather memorable.

HOLY STUDS is Darkseid's final boss cool. He starts off fairly normal and in-line with the other bosses against Lex and Green Lantern, but then afterwards switches to a larger form and fights you falling into an Apokolyptian void. Puts even the awesome final bosses from previous games, like Galactus, to shame. Reverse Flash using a cosmic treadmill to outrun his Omega Blasts made me practically squeal with joy; the normal minigame is altered slightly, so that you can see the beams behind you and are just avoiding them for a few moments to hit him in the face.

Some locations that didn't make it into the game world still get a good showing in levels; Themyscira, Nanda Parbat (home of the League of Shadows), and dinosaur island make up one really fun level.

Lots of shout-outs to all things DC. There's a shark in the Iceberg Lounge (Arkham City), Star Labs creates The Flash holograms (something the TV show has done at least once to solve their at-the-time dilemma), Lex's device from Lego Batman 2 is on display in the TT Logo intro (which is actually a canon part of this game's plot), there's a Gotham diner that very closely resembles the one from Arkham Knight's opening scene, and so on. I could probably keep going if I looked back through again.

DLC Character parts are all available in the customizer, and almost all of them can have their color changed. Zoom's Torso in teal plus the physical lowered-hood piece made a very cool Super Hero-esque look to my favorite hoodie in-game.

Neat twist with your character: you aren't just some criminal who broke into the AMAZO labs prior to the start of the game; you are ACTUALLY from Earth-3, like the Crime Syndicate, and it's implied that your character came over and broke in to gain the powers to fight back against them. This not only explains why you are so eager to join the fight with the Earth-1 villains, but also possibly why your character can't talk; the Crime Syndicate could have somehow rendered you incapable of speaking, and so you'd be seeking revenge. However, it also leaves these details vague enough for you to interpret them however you'd like, which is an A+ for nuanced writing.

THEN you get to decide if you want your character to join the Justice League as a hero or to continue as a villain with the Legion of Doom. Only changes the final 30 second cutscene, but is such a cool moment for your personal headcanon getting implemented in the game. I didn't think to check until just now, but it may even change your character's affiliations and information on the profile folder; I'll check that later.

If anyone has any questions about the game, as away. I'll be glad to answer what I can and figure out what I don't initially know.

So, I've beat all the levels (not 100%, obviously, but beaten nonetheless) and I've got a couple of spoiler-free nitpicks (packed inside a spoiler bracket so I don't clog up the whole page):

Spoiler

• Smallville feels...unnecessary. When it was announced, I assumed it would be bursting with jokes and references to the show, but all we really got was one overheard line of dialogue (that doubles as a Bojack Horseman reference???). Not even the trademark Talon was in there - and there's literally a mission from a Court of Owls Talon that could've made a whole bit about it! If Smallville is going to be so lackluster in terms of landmarks, it would've been much better off to include the likes of Atlantis, Themyscira, or Ferris Air instead.
  • Traveling on foot through the open world is the most painful thing I've ever experienced. The streets are all over the place - especially in Gotham - and the normal walking speed is just s o  s l o w. 
  • Not nearly enough open world missions. Gold bricks and races are aplenty, but I'm fairly certain I've finished every open world mission in the first day in just about two or three hours. I could very well be wrong, with more hiding behind a wall of gold bricks and races, but man, if that's all there are, 100%ing this one is gonna be kind of a slog.
  • This is the nitpickiest one yet, but the fantastic cast really seems to highlight all of the iconic voices they missed. No Tim Daly or George Newbern on Superman, no Phil LaMarr on John Stewart, no Ron Perlman for Deathstroke, no Khary Payton on Cyborg, no John DiMaggio for Aquaman or Lobo, and some actors were passed over despite already being in the game, like Michael Rosenbaum's Deadshot! Not to mention, absolutely no one came in for the DLC. In fact, the only one of those characters with any voice lines as far as I can tell is the Atom, and he is very clearly not Brandon Routh. Matt Ryan's Constantine didn't even make it in, and that guy seems ready to pay *you* to let him play John!
  • Speaking of DLC: the TV Green Arrow is recycling the design from LB3, which was outdated even then. C'mon, guys. 
  • The character customizer is a bit inconsistent, at least before you beat the story. I can understand why there would be powers locked for your player character, or why your player character couldn't pick a morality or affiliation before the end of the game - story. But why is that also restricted from what seems like half of the other custom character slots too? And why can't I pick an personality type for my player character? That's just lame, guys. That's just lame.
  • Beast Boy and Raven are both written and performed in the style of Teen Titans Go!, which I get - it's a popular show and this game has the same target demo - but man, BB is just so obnoxious that I hate playing as him. Every "yo yO YO!!" or "I gotz this!" just fills me with dread. Side note: not sure that whole "all the animals still have Beast Boy's hair just dropped on top" gag landed as hard as you wanted to, Tt. 
  • I've really gotta question some design choices. Obviously, the existing minifigs had to make it in for corporate purposes, and I know they gotta keep most characters up to date with their current looks, but there are so many New 52 designs that have since been tossed out that made it in for no good reason. Mister Miracle and Big Barda suffer the most for it, as does the almost unrecognizable Anti-Monitor. Plus, some alternate costumes that feel unnecessary when you see how many characters could really use them. Why a New 52 Poison Ivy alt when Harley's iconic design is nowhere to be found? 
  • The ability filter is incredibly nice, but also not terribly reliable. It's skipped over some people pretty often.
  • Actually, this might be the nitpickiest one, but there are some real overlooked bits of lore in the story that probably should've gotten some notice. For instance, no one really acknowledges that Mazahs is Earth-3's Lex Luthor, or that Kryptonite makes Ultraman stronger, both elements that could've made for some more interesting twists and moments without throwing any huge monkey wrenches into the plot.
  • It's...still pretty buggy. While I haven't fallen through the floor yet, like in LMS2, I did have way too many crashes, a few instances where my character would get stuck, or things like pausing, the map menu, or character swapping would lock up. I also had the strangest glitch I've ever experienced in a Lego game where everyone's voice was pitched down a couple of bars for no particular reason, so there's that.
  • Y'all make the best Jimmy Olsen figure of all time and I can't even play as him? Why you gotta do me like this, Tt? </3

Pretty much everything else here I'm in love with. Here are a couple of things I was especially surprised by, though (again, spoiler-free, but packed up to avoid clutter):

Spoiler

• Elevators actually make the upper floors of some buildings accessible by non-flying characters, so one way or another you can get where you need to go in the overworld without switching characters (usually)
  • That Superman design is gorgeous! Seeing it turn into the one from the sets in the character select is almost disgusting. Why haven't we gotten a Supes that nice yet physically???
  • The acting is pretty wonderful, especially after the travesty that was Lego Marvel 2's voice acting. Thank god that strike is over!
  • The character creator somehow got even better than Lego Marvel 2's! The color selection is very in depth, there's animation options and faction alliances, and just a whole heap of things to make your character come alive! It's never been more fulfilling to fill in the missed gaps in the character selection!
  • Speaking of, this roster feels really satisfying! There aren't many characters that feel explicitly left out, even if there are fewer heroes than usual. The League has every member you'd need to round out the most popular renditions, the Titans have at least three generations of members, and even teams like the Outlaws and the Rebirth JLA are nearly all here! Of course, the villain selection is nice and satisfying as well, with just enough of everyone's rogues galleries to feel evenly dispersed! Never has a screen full of super villains looked so satisfying!
  • Boss fights with actual superheroes!! I've been waiting for this since the first Lego Batman game left us in the cold without a Batman fight, and now we got that in spades! 
  • This game is so visually appealing it hurts. The big prize has to go to the classic logos that pop on screen whenever a new character is introduced. Lego's done those introductions before, but usually in plain text. This one does it the way every good comic book splash page has done it for decades - by throwing up the logo from their books! Not only do you get a name, but you also get a feel for the character! 
  • The Atom fight in the open world was such a fun surprise! It's a shame there aren't any more encounters like that - at least none that I'm aware of - but an impromptu showdown with such a uniquely powered hero in the open world is so satisfying!
  • Mirror Master is actually useful! As one of my favorite underused villains, seeing his iconic tech be the inspiration and key to one of the game's many puzzles was just superb!
  • The utilization of the lore makes this universe feel way more lived in and DC. Things like the Harley and Ivy relationship, the Task Force X level, the reference to Professor Ivo and Amazo in your character's introduction, it all feels like they're way less interested in explaining every toy in the box than they are with just playing with them.
  • Streaky. 
  • The most enjoyable-yet-recognizably-Damian-Wayne Damian Wayne perhaps of all time?
  • Y'know what I said up there about BB and Raven being written like their TTG counterparts? Well, in Raven's case, it actually works out pretty well? I'm especially fond of her intro line, "Did you bring me here for any specific purpose or are we just gonna hang?" Pleasantly chill, that.
  • Kite Man, heck yea!
  • Last but not least, the perfect example of the magic of this game: they included one of my all-time favorite villains - Klarion the Witch Boy - which I knew going in. What I didn't know was that they got his voice actor from Young Justice to reprise the role beautifully, or the amount of detail they'd added to his cat, Teekl, or that Klarion ever had a staff, or that I'd be playing as him every chance I got. I fell in love with one of my favorite characters all over again.

@Digger of Bricks Thanks for sharing them! 

On 10/16/2018 at 9:54 AM, Robert8 said:

Great work as usual

Thanks friend! Toy Man is mine too! I felt like it was appropriate to use that music :) 

On 10/17/2018 at 10:58 AM, Captain Nemo said:

Other random thoughts: 

I couldn't agree more! That voice cast is just incredible! They've never had such a great cast. Love all the Arkham Actors coming back as well as some from the Animated Series like Scarecrow! 

I couldn't get into LMS2 because of the fact that the cast was so bad. So this was so great and really immersive! 

Agree about the voice cast. It's just stellar.

Sadly Mark Hamill's age is starting to affect his famous Joker voice but still works

The only one missing was Arleen Sorking as Harley and it would have been perfect. 

7 hours ago, Ashnflash said:

@Digger of Bricks Thanks for sharing them

As always! Keep up the extraordinary work! :sweet:

On 10/16/2018 at 8:54 AM, Robert8 said:

Yeah, same here! :classic: If you ask me, I don't know why Lego haven't given us a Superman playset centered around that villain, as I'd imagine that it would be a cleverly creative one, something akin to Superman's take on the many Joker Funhouse sets we've seen over the years. :shrug_oh_well:

3 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

As always! Keep up the extraordinary work! :sweet:

Yeah, same here! :classic: If you ask me, I don't know why Lego haven't given us a Superman playset centered around that villain, as I'd imagine that it would be a cleverly creative one, something akin to Superman's take on the many Joker Funhouse sets we've seen over the years. :shrug_oh_well:

Yeah, really. Seeing as (pun unavoidable) he is very toyetic, there would be so much potential for good sets. My best guess is that they've not used him yet since he's not quite as well-known as Lex, Zod, and Brainiac, but since TLG's moved into lesser-knowns, he does seem like a plausible future figure.

It will be interesting to see how many characters do appear in sets like they do in this game, if any. LB3 had the characters, and even some sets, appear shortly thereafter, but with the rumored future DC sets right now, there don't seem to be any besides Poison Ivy and Firefly that we know of.

I've finished the story and have spent the last day or so free-roaming around. Overall it's been great fun--the story was well done, if a bit anticlimactic I think. I do wish it had a level or two of just villains being villains. As really exploring what a world without the Justice League would be like. We got a little of that, but I just wanted a bit more as the second half of the story is far more heroic based. There were lots of plot twists and crisscrosses which was amazing however! 

Some random thoughts: 

• Omega beams chasing through the speed-force! :thumbup:
  • "Look at all those posers--I liked Kite-Man before it was cool! Kite-Man...heck yeah!" 
  • Driving is utterly impossible. I've taken to riding a bike everywhere. I could fly...but this is better. Plus it has a turn radius and a bell. 
  • My main crew is Captain Boomerang and the Riddler. I take them everywhere and when I must fly I use Banshee. I love Boomer and I absolutely love Riddler's Rebirth design--kinda hoping we get that physically...seems lazy enough for Lego to release.
  • Aside from liking his design, Riddler's search ability is necessary for those quests where you have to track down like five people--they're otherwise impossible to find! :wall: 
  • Calendar-Man blowing up my phone with his dumb-ass texts about his made-up holiday. :grin:
  • Literally stealing candy from babies...I love you TT Games! :grin_wub:

Last one: 

• I've never seen/used the Camera function before (Although I think it was in Marvel 2). Still it's super fun to use, and at times utterly hilarious. I've been thinking of whipping up a spontaneous Caption Contest--members screenshot some pics from the game and then we put up a thread in Licensed for others to write captions for? Prizes would be tags. Anyone interested in this? 

6 hours ago, Captain Nemo said:

Anyone interested in this? 

Yes, and I would be down for finding screenshots for it as well.

Fiddling around with the character creator, I can't seem to get characters with guns to fire from their guns. I made Flashpoint Batman, and first he wouldn't fire at all, so I tweaked it. Then he did nothing but pie bombs on both Square and Circle, for some reason. Then he would fire the bolts from his hands. Then back to square one. Really weird glitch; anyone know any fixes?

Like the rest of you, I am greatly enjoying the game. I have a lot more to do (currently at about 45%). Question for you open-worlders: is the Bat-Signal on the GCPD rooftop? I went there twice and have yet to see the Signal. Thought a Batman/Commissioner Gordon selfie in front of the Signal would be pretty cool...

24 minutes ago, BaneShake said:

Yes, and I would be down for finding screenshots for it as well.

Fiddling around with the character creator, I can't seem to get characters with guns to fire from their guns. I made Flashpoint Batman, and first he wouldn't fire at all, so I tweaked it. Then he did nothing but pie bombs on both Square and Circle, for some reason. Then he would fire the bolts from his hands. Then back to square one. Really weird glitch; anyone know any fixes?

Awesome! :thumbup: I spent the afternoon taking some interesting photos, I just need to actually figure out how to screenshot them after the fact. :sceptic:

——

I’ve noticed some weird occurrences with the customizer too, but only ever regarding the abilities. I’ve been able to get bolts to fire from a single weapon, but I’ve not tried duel wielding. I think a big issue is that the abilities can often accidentally override each other without notice, which causes all sorts of issues. So basically it’s super important to be careful when selecting buttons and their corresponding actions. 

——

11 minutes ago, CommishGordon said:

Like the rest of you, I am greatly enjoying the game. I have a lot more to do (currently at about 45%). Question for you open-worlders: is the Bat-Signal on the GCPD rooftop? I went there twice and have yet to see the Signal. Thought a Batman/Commissioner Gordon selfie in front of the Signal would be pretty cool...

I haven’t checked, but presumably it is somewhere considering the fact its built on the loading screen’s micro scale model. I’ll have to look around. 

On 10/21/2018 at 12:13 AM, Robert8 said:

Agree about the voice cast. It's just stellar.

Sadly Mark Hamill's age is starting to affect his famous Joker voice but still works

The only one missing was Arleen Sorking as Harley and it would have been perfect. 

She hasn't done the Joker voice since the first Arkham game. It's also cheaper to just bring in Tara Strong because she does a million other voices. 

@Captain Nemo You should have Gordon take two selfies. One with Batman in the back. And then another without him there xD 

Edited by Ashnflash

Has anybody found Red Hood yet? I know he's not from any of the levels or the suitcases, but I'm not sure how else you'd unlock a character at this point?

UPDATE: Never mind! I should've assumed, but going through the gold brick puzzles and races in the open world open up new missions and boss battles - including Red Hood! 

I've also noticed a couple of errors since. Firestorm's bio lists him as Ronnie Raymond, when that's very clearly Jason Rushce's Firestorm. The Shade mentions that he can "see madness", which might be an aspect of Shade, but it's definitely a key trait of another DC character, Shade the Changing Man. Sounds like an easy mistake. Also, Blue Beetle's weapons are given electricity powers, even though traditionally (and even in LB3) Jaime's weapons are sonic. It's also a little weird that Red Robin and Nightwing don't have grappling hooks when Batman, Batgirl, and Robin do, but that doesn't seem so much like a mistake.

Edited by Numbuh1Nerd

On 10/23/2018 at 10:58 PM, Numbuh1Nerd said:

Has anybody found Red Hood yet? I know he's not from any of the levels or the suitcases, but I'm not sure how else you'd unlock a character at this point?

UPDATE: Never mind! I should've assumed, but going through the gold brick puzzles and races in the open world open up new missions and boss battles - including Red Hood! 

I've also noticed a couple of errors since. Firestorm's bio lists him as Ronnie Raymond, when that's very clearly Jason Rushce's Firestorm. The Shade mentions that he can "see madness", which might be an aspect of Shade, but it's definitely a key trait of another DC character, Shade the Changing Man. Sounds like an easy mistake. Also, Blue Beetle's weapons are given electricity powers, even though traditionally (and even in LB3) Jaime's weapons are sonic. It's also a little weird that Red Robin and Nightwing don't have grappling hooks when Batman, Batgirl, and Robin do, but that doesn't seem so much like a mistake.

TT games is not new to accidentally naming the original instead of the legacy characters. LB2 mistakenly called Tim Drake "Dick Grayson" when briefly out of costume. I find it weird that Cyborg also lacks his sonic canon, which is one of his signature weapons, and explosives as well, so there are definitely a handful of odd ability omissions. Like the fact that most Lanterns can't dig now, although Lantern powered characters might get OP if they were allowed to make constructs as thoroughly as they actually can.

Guys, I just noticed, when you do Black Adam's grapple-takedown (circle/b grab then circle/b again) he hits the enemy with a chair as a hilarious nod to Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.

With as many easter eggs as this game is chock full of, I am very tempted to put together a big video/set of videos the way Arkhamverse did for the Batman: Arkham games. If anyone notices something of the sort and wishes to send it to me, let me know.

On 10/21/2018 at 9:10 PM, Captain Nemo said:

Awesome! :thumbup: I spent the afternoon taking some interesting photos, I just need to actually figure out how to screenshot them after the fact. :sceptic:

The best way I've found is going into the extras photo gallery and saving it from there, although this sadly does leave the "exit" button prompt visible. I've gotten a handful of screenshots so far; do you want us to upload them here onto this page when we do?