LEGODalekbuster523

LEGO DC Villains (Videogame)

At Comic Con this past weekend, there were a few different booths that had the game set up for demo (DC Comics, LEGO, WB).  My 6 year old son and I had the chance to play.  The demo was set up for 20 minutes at a time.  My son played it and loved it!  It's a typical LEGO/TT game play game engine, which is fine.  It was fun to play the different characters.  I'm really looking forward to this game, as my son and I have really been getting into the LEGO games the last few months.

Fun trailer! Not too many new reveals, but it does officially show off Ra's al Ghul, Batgirl, and Condiment King now, although the last one was likely since his belt was in the customizer trailer.

:wub_drool: I audibly gasped when I saw that this trailer had been released! 

I may be more excited for this game than I have been for any other Lego product in a long time. Its just got everything! They even got Worf--they got WORF! 

It's interesting that Granny Goodness is a bigfig. She's usually depicted as being kinda short. Kalibak and Steppenwolf look as I expected, and I love love LOVE those Parademons! The decision to use the Batgirl of Burnside design makes me wonder if she'll be making an appearance in the sets soon, especially since she just got a new (worse) costume in the comics. Of course, the best part of this trailer is that Riddler is being played by Wally Wingert, the indisputable best Riddler of all time! 

Hey, my USA friends, I have yet to see what retailers offer the polybag Lex Luthor Superman figure with game. Does anyone know at this point? Thanks a lot!

14 hours ago, Numbuh1Nerd said:

Of course, the best part of this trailer is that Riddler is being played by Wally Wingert, the indisputable best Riddler of all time! 

They are seriously going all-out for the voice actors this time. Reverse Flash's, C. Thomas Howell, voiced him in The Flashpoint Paradox and Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay, and I sincerely consider him the best RF voice-actor out there. It'll be interesting to hear him in something that isn't highly mature-audiences focused.

On 8/23/2018 at 3:16 PM, BaneShake said:

They are seriously going all-out for the voice actors this time. Reverse Flash's, C. Thomas Howell, voiced him in The Flashpoint Paradox and Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay, and I sincerely consider him the best RF voice-actor out there. It'll be interesting to hear him in something that isn't highly mature-audiences focused.

They *did* say that everybody was going to be played by *the* guy for that character, and they've done a great job at holding up on that end! Usually I'm mostly excited for what characters are gonna be playable, but now it's like getting twice the reveals - who's in the game and what do they sound like? Hopefully next time we get a proper DC game we'll get the same treatment!

So I found a gameplay video of a Gorilla City level that I haven't seen anyone talk about. Here're a few of the things worth noting in it:

• Captain Cold is played by Steve Blum, who also played him in Batman: the Brave and the Bold
  • Solovar is a boss fight in the game
  • All gorillas in Gorilla City apart from Grodd and Solovar are minifig-scale Chima-types
  • There seems to be a Disney's Tarzan reference and at least one Planet of the Apes reference
  • Freeze powers have gotten a new visual, depicting an outline of what they'll create when used for puzzle solving
  • Plant manipulation seems to be a new puzzle-solving power in the game
  • Grodd can use his telekinesis to build objects, something I don't think he could do before
  • It seems most levels will have a preamble, similar to the Maria Hill debriefings in Avengers and the Daily Bugle bulletins in Marvel 2, this time featuring Lois and Jimmy
  • The Cosmic Treadmill now takes the place of "master building" as the speedster building power; you basically complete a Sonic 2 special stage to get all the Lego chunks to build something with
  • Random items such as coins, boxing gloves, guns, and hands pop up on screen with multipliers on them, possibly some kind of weird combo system?
  • Grodd isn't played by his DCAU actor (RIP Powers Boothe), but he could possibly be David Soblov from the Flash. If not, he must be a new guy
  • Solovar isn't any previous actor either, as it's clearly not the Flash's Keith David or the late David Ogden Stiers
  • Lois and Jimmy aren't played by their voice actors from the DCAU, JLA, or any television show I'm familiar with
  • Heatwave is also a mystery to me. He's not any previous portrayal's voice actor (funnily enough, the only actor to play him more than once is Steve Blum)
  • I don't recognize Cheetah either. I can't confidently say she isn't played by a previous voice actress, but if she is, they're definitely playing it differently. It's definitely not her DCAU actress or Morena Baccarin from Batman:B&B. It might be her Injustice 2 voice, but I wouldn't bet money on it.

Here's a link, if y'all wanna peep it for yourselves!

Edited by Numbuh1Nerd
Apparently Solovar IS telepathic! You learn something new every day!

On 8/23/2018 at 7:11 AM, CommishGordon said:

Hey, my USA friends, I have yet to see what retailers offer the polybag Lex Luthor Superman figure with game. Does anyone know at this point? Thanks a lot!

I believe from what I've seen and have been told, the Lex Luthor figure is "included" with the Deluxe Edition. There doesn't seem to be any mention of him from the various stores I've considered pre-ordering from (which I have yet to do). 

I take that to mean that the Lex Luthor figure is literally included--as in packed directly with--the Deluxe Edition of the game + whatever bonuses certain stores included. So whoever you buy it from, as long as you buy the Deluxe edition--you will receive the physical figure in addition to store exclusives.  

10 hours ago, Numbuh1Nerd said:

I don't recognize Cheetah either. I can't confidently say she isn't played by a previous voice actress, but if she is, they're definitely playing it differently. It's definitely not her DCAU actress or Morena Baccarin from Batman:B&B. It might be her Injustice 2 voice, but I wouldn't bet money on it.

I didn't recognize (or remember) her voice either--but apparently she is voiced by Erica Luttrell, who also voiced her LB3. 

I must say I'm really really impressed with the quality and consistency this game has for its voice actors. As a huge DC Animated Universe fan, it really means so much to just hear all these recognizable voices once again. :cry_happy:

2 hours ago, Captain Nemo said:

I didn't recognize (or remember) her voice either--but apparently she is voiced by Erica Luttrell, who also voiced her LB3. 

So I was right! She played Cheetah in not only LB3, but also Injustice 2 and JLA Adventures: Trapped in Time! Apparently she also played the de-aged Doctor Fate in JLA, and Cyberwoman on Arrow (as well as the less relevant Sapphire from Steven Universe)! Where did you find that information?

Thoughts as I watch the video:

-- Why did Youtube play an ad for Trojan Condoms on this?

-- Heatwave is definitely intended to sound similar to his live action counterpart, although not going for identical.

-- I definitely think there's been a budget increase for this game. It looks so polished, and with newer effects and fonts than previous games. Look at this compared to gameplay footage for even The Incredibles, and there's just something more to this one.

-- I like the animation of the figures actually getting rebuilt instead of just appearing.

-- Captain Cold has the greatest takedown animation.

-- That combat has definitely been revamped (or at least built on, possibly from Ninjago; I've not actually played that one yet.) I've spotted what may be counter icons, special move combo indicators (combos have, admittedly, been around since Lego Batman 1), and ability-specific armor (gold heat-vulnerable armor) on enemies

-- Banana lasers?

-- I love how cocky Lex is gliding around without even bothering to make steps.

-- That ice actually looks good

-- So glad to see the dig icon has been made into a shovel now. I hated how in LB3 it still used the pawprints that were introduced in Harry Potter, even though most digging wasn't done by animals, but by Lanterns, in the gameplay

-- The Jungle Temple look makes me nostalgic for Lego Indiana Jones. I loved those games.

-- That Cosmic Treadmill moment looks spectacular, but the music seems a tad odd

-- The obligatory riding-a-pig-like-a-horse running gag from this franchise is back, and I'm okay with that

-- I want that Grodd bigfig in my life

-- That boss fight isn't very original

Final thoughts on this vid: I am very excited for this game. Glad to have my preorder already on Amazon, will definitely want to review the game for my youtube channel.

EXCITING UPDATE (for me at least): After snooping on IGN's version of the gameplay, there are a few more characters shown off, and several visible in the roster pic:

44268333101_8118bc7c11_c.jpg

Others I didn't highlight: Hawkgirl next to Harley Quinn, Granny Goodness by Grodd and Grail (Darkseid's daughter, missed her in the initial labelling), possible Kite Man next to King Shark, Toy Man to the left of Two-Face.

The orange question-marked figure by Detective Chimp is beyond me currently; if anyone can figure it out, please let me know.

Mirror Master and Condiment King (by Gordon) are visible here as well, though we've gotten quick glimpses at them recently. 

And Poison Ivy and Riddler appear to be wearing variant costumes as well as Wonder Woman, although since it wasn't shown in the video, I didn't think to label them at the time.

Edited by BaneShake

23 hours ago, Numbuh1Nerd said:

Where did you find that information?

I looked up the Wikipedia page of the Cheetah character herself—specifically the section dedicated to her appearances in media outside the comics. That section listed Erica as voicing Cheetah for the game. 

For whatever reason you can often find out who is voicing a character on the characters’ page, while you cannot find that same info on the games’ wiki page. :wacko:

19 hours ago, BaneShake said:

...possible Kite Man...

The orange question-marked figure by Detective Chimp is beyond me currently; if anyone can figure it out, please let me know.

Kite Man—Hell yeah! 

The character next to Detective Chimp is Dex-Starr. 

Also, on your picture you have Jack Ryder listed next to Superwoman—that is actually Clark Kent, a variant of Superman. :thumbup:

1 hour ago, Captain Nemo said:

The character next to Detective Chimp is Dex-Starr. 

Also, on your picture you have Jack Ryder listed next to Superwoman—that is actually Clark Kent, a variant of Superman. :thumbup:

That makes so much sense now. The blue isn't a body, but his cat head, which would explain why the shape was weird. 

And I can see that's Clark now-- I think I saw Jack Ryder in a cutscene in footage and brain-lapsed the rest of my knowledge away for a moment.

Thanks, Cap!

5 hours ago, Captain Nemo said:

Doesn't he have the same design as the news broadcaster in the cutscenes? Because that literally can't be Clark Kent, since he's supposed to have disappeared with the rest of the League, right?

Well in the story, technically, Clark Kent/Superman disappears, but that would have no bearing on why he wouldn’t be on the character roster—for free play at the least (whether you even play him or any JL member in story mode). That character slot alphabetically belongs to Superman, of which Clark Kent is a costume variant apparently. 

But no, I’m positive he has a different design than that of the newscaster—who I believe is a non-playable Jack Ryder. 

Do we know who that is tucked between Gorilla Grodd and Granny Goodness? 

EDIT: Nevermind! My reading comprehension skills are low, BaneShake said it was Grail already! :grin:

Apparently she's the herald of the Anti-Monitor these days, Silver Surfer-style. I wonder if we'll see the Anti-Monitor in this game? Or maybe he'll be a tease for our first true Lego DC game? Or maybe that would be too similar to Lego Marvel's plot? 

Edited by Numbuh1Nerd

8 hours ago, Numbuh1Nerd said:

Do we know who that is tucked between Gorilla Grodd and Granny Goodness? 

EDIT: Nevermind! My reading comprehension skills are low, BaneShake said it was Grail already! :grin:

Apparently she's the herald of the Anti-Monitor these days, Silver Surfer-style. I wonder if we'll see the Anti-Monitor in this game? Or maybe he'll be a tease for our first true Lego DC game? Or maybe that would be too similar to Lego Marvel's plot? 

With a villain focus, the Anti-Monitor would be plausible. I would love it for sure.

2 hours ago, The Pearson said:

Are all the DLCs available for PC too?

I can't imagine why they wouldn't be.

Speaking of which!
We're looking at:
6 Level Packs

- Aquaman Movie Pack 1&2
- Shazam Movie Pack 1&2
- Batman: The Animated Series
- Young Justice

4 Character Packs

- DC Super-Villains: TV Series
- DC Super Heroes: TV Series
- Justice League Dark
- DC Films

I'd post the promo image, but I can't get it both legible and small enough to fit. It's not hard to find on Instagram, though, and features beautiful renders of the new Shazam figure, a CW Supergirl, the most recent Aquaman minifig, and the DCEU Batman!

The 1&2 intrigues me. Will we get those both at the same time, or will part 2 come later and be more spoiler-y? Will we get twice as many movie characters with these or only one set of characters for both levels?

And I definitely want to see the DC Films pack too; it's most likely just catching up the DCEU 'figs (here's hoping for a Deadshot variant!), but it would be interesting if it had non-DCEU looks as well, like TDKR Bane. And if this the full season pass, which seems likely, it's weird that none of the levels at the outset appear to be villain-based, and only one character pack seems to be fully villain. I don't mind, but weird for the title they're going for.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for one or two more surprises, although based on previous game DLC releases, that's no guarantee.

I don't think we're doing a very good job of keeping this place up-to-date :grin: Apparently they revealed Jon Kent's Superboy as a playable character a bit ago? 

lego superboy dc super villains.jpg