Steamdemon

Which old TV shows would you want to see make a comeback?

There's been shows that you've only just remembered the name of, and haven't aired since. For me, I remember catching a few episodes of 999 (basically Rescue 911 in the UK)...and I've literally just found a few episodes online. The closest thing to that is Close Calls on Camera. If they aired 999 reruns on another channel, that would be great...however, I don't think that would happen.

What I want to know is if there are any shows you would like to see make a comeback. Could be American, could be British. Heck, could come from anywhere around the globe.

I watch a lot of cartoons, so the shows that I'd like to see return are mostly animated shows which got canceled prematurely and should be continued so that they can get the proper ending they deserve. These include Spectacular Spider-Man, Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Tron Uprising, Thundercats (the 2011 reboot), Teen Titans (CN needs to redeem this franchise after utterly ruining it with TTG), and Futurama. The latter already returned from cancellation once, so I don't see why it couldn't do it again. Sure, Futurama isn't really a story-driven show and is probably fine the way it ended, but I just can't get enough of it. :grin:

Also, I grew up with the Disney Afternoon shows and Disney XD has done a pretty good job with the DuckTales reboot, so I wouldn't mind seeing modern incarnations of the other shows as well, like Darkwing Duck, Rescue Rangers, and TaleSpin, so that today's generation of kids can enjoy these shows too.

Fortunately we already got a conclusion to Samurai Jack and it seems that Young Justice and Animaniacs will be returning soon as well, so thankfully I don't need to include those on this list.

I know it'll never happen, but 1993's Sonic the Hedgehog never got the ending it deserved after being cancelled after it's second season, which ended on a cliffhanger of all things. It really saddens me that a show that really bucked the trend of awful adaptations of video games got the shaft this badly. If you've never seen it, it's pretty fun. Jaleel White plays Sonic surprisingly well, and Jim Cummings' Dr. Robotnik is probably my favourite rendition of that character. I'd skip the pilot though, as it's not really representative of the rest of the show. Maybe it's nostalgia speaking, but I really love 93's Sonic the Hedgehog.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya's another great show that I'd love to see get another season, although seeing where The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya ended it, I'm fine with how that series ended. That being said, I'd love to spend more time with the SOS Brigade. The Disappearance of Yuki Nagato-Chan was cute, but I'd love a continuation of the original show.

Edited by Kintobor

1 hour ago, Kintobor said:

I know it'll never happen, but 1993's Sonic the Hedgehog never got the ending it deserved after being cancelled after it's second season, which ended on a cliffhanger of all things. It really saddens me that a show that really bucked the trend of awful adaptations of video games got the shaft this badly. If you've never seen it, it's pretty fun. Jaleel White plays Sonic surprisingly well, and Jim Cummings' Dr. Robotnik is probably my favourite rendition of that character. I'd skip the pilot though, as it's not really representative of the rest of the show. Maybe it's nostalgia speaking, but I really love 93's Sonic the Hedgehog.

That show was good, but personally, I think aside from that cliffhanger it was fine the way it ended. The main story was wrapped up, so I don't think it needs a comeback. In fact, I'd say that, while an inferior show, Sonic Underground is more in need of a conclusion as the main arc there never got finished. That is not to say I wouldn't want to see more of 1993 Sonic, but yeah, not gonna happen.

By the way, I also really wish CN would let Tom Warburton do his KND sequel, Galactic Kids Next Door!

Not "old" by any means, but I'd love to see Green Lantern TAS and Beware the Batman come back. Since DC's launching a new streaming service with Young Justice getting a new season, it's not entirely impossible.

TUGS was a really interesting show. Annoyingly, only 13 episodes were made. And I'm talking about the show by the original creators of Thomas and Friends. The opening theme was phenomenal. A reboot of the show would be awesome.

On 1/14/2018 at 11:37 PM, Oky said:

Thundercats (the 2011 reboot)

Teen Titans (CN needs to redeem this franchise after utterly ruining it with TTG)

I loved Thundercats (both versions) and would love to see it return in one form or another.

I actually really enjoy Teen Titans Go, but I do agree that the original Teen Titans cartoon was very good.

I'm so happy with the new reboot of Voltron (despite only minor failings), and would love to see other series from my childhood re-emerge.  We already mentioned Thundercats, but also Silverhawks, He-Man (which I am currently re-watching), and other such shows.  I was a big fan of both Ewoks and Droids when I was younger, but I know those won't be brought back.  They won't even give R2-D2 and C-3PO worthwhile parts in the sequel trilogy.  As much as I loved G.I. Joe and Transformers when I was a kid, I'm not too interested in them now, though I did enjoy G.I. Joe: Renegades.  Nor am I interested in what they're doing with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchise (which has so much more potential).

I'd love it if some fan that, like me, grew up with these cartoons made a really cool modern and mature animated series that reflected the best elements of these series and franchises from the 80s and 90s.  I think that I'd prefer that to a reboot, if done well.

3 hours ago, x105Black said:

As much as I loved G.I. Joe and Transformers when I was a kid, I'm not too interested in them now, though I did enjoy G.I. Joe: Renegades.  Nor am I interested in what they're doing with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchise (which has so much more potential).

That's a shame as both TMNT reboot series that have been made were excellent and Transformers Prime was great as well.

I forgot to mention Invader Zim. I know there's supposed to be a movie coming out, but I'd like the series to return as well.

On 1/14/2018 at 9:37 PM, Oky said:

Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes

I recently bought the first season and am loving it all over again. I really wish we could have had a season 3 of this; it is probably one of the best animated comic series ever, if not the best.

At the same time, it ended about as well as it could have--toward the end of season 2, they knew it was getting canceled in favor of the other (lesser) Avengers series, so they crammed in all the good ideas they hadn't used yet whereever they could.

A show I loved as a kid was Mighty Max--it had a cool concept, crazy adventures, and a great voice cast. I haven't revisited it as an adult (I'm afraid maybe it hasn't aged well, or was never as good as 8-year-old me believed), but if a remake series came out, I would definitely seek it out to watch it.

these are both not exactly things to bring back but i'd love to see a spin off of Grimm and a successful spin off of Babylon 5... of course neither will happen

4 hours ago, x105Black said:

I'd love a complete reboot of Babylon 5, to be honest.  Great series.

best show of all time IMO

John Doe, with Dominic Purcell from Prison Break and Legends of Tomorrow. Fantastic show, though too early for it's premise.

With the introduction of shows such as Lost and Heroes, John Doe could've been a hit. Too bad it got cancelled after just 1 season.

I just thought of two more shows. After Tartakovsky was able to give Samurai Jack the ending that it deserved, I would love to see Adult Swim give him the opportunity to finish Symbionic Titan as well.

Also, Celebrity Deathmatch. I loved that show as a kid and there are certainly a few celebrities these days that I'd love to see beat the clay out of each other. There were talks of bringing it back a few years ago, but sadly it didn't happen. One can always hope though.

On 1/24/2018 at 5:02 PM, x105Black said:

I'd love a complete reboot of Babylon 5, to be honest.  Great series.

If it was so great, why do you want it rebooted?

4 hours ago, Oky said:

If it was so great, why do you want it rebooted?

I'd love to see it reinvented for a modern audience.  But it was fantastic when I watched it years after it originally aired.

Anyone here wish to see Gravity Falls make a comeback in some way, or do you feel it's better left as it had concluded? A little while ago, I'd rewatched both seasons of the show after having first checked it out only last August; and while I was quite satisfied with the way it wrapped-up, I still wish there could be at least a follow-up miniseries or maybe Disney + movie (much like the one upcoming for Phineas and Ferb). :shrug_oh_well:

I'm generally wary of reboots or revivals... but I'd be interested in seeing what they would do with Dexter. That left off in such a bad place that I can't imagine it going anywhere but up. Plus given the way things ended they'd be pretty free creatively as far as location, secondary characters, etc. to take it wherever they wanted. 

Master of the Universe would be great.  I would like to see Justified return.  The Shannara Chronicles.  Dexter only to have a proper ending.  Hannibal from NBC was good.  

On 4/27/2020 at 8:14 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

Anyone here wish to see Gravity Falls make a comeback in some way, or do you feel it's better left as it had concluded? A little while ago, I'd rewatched both seasons of the show after having first checked it out only last August; and while I was quite satisfied with the way it wrapped-up, I still wish there could be at least a follow-up miniseries or maybe Disney + movie (much like the one upcoming for Phineas and Ferb). :shrug_oh_well:

Well, just like any fan of the show, after only 2 season I am left wanting more too, but I do think it wrapped up nicely, so there's no need to revisit it really I think. Maybe a sequel series where the kids are grown up could work though. A crossover movie with Rick and Morty would be awesome, but probably wouldn't be on Disney+! :laugh:

11 minutes ago, zoth33 said:

Master of the Universe would be great.

That's already returning, with a celebrity voice cast including Mark Hamill as Skeletor no less!

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/masters-of-the-universe-revelation-everything-we-know-so-far-02-2020/

Just now, Oky said:

Well, just like any fan of the show, after only 2 season I am left wanting more too, but I do think it wrapped up nicely, so there's no need to revisit it really I think. Maybe a sequel series where the kids are grown up could work though. A crossover movie with Rick and Morty would be awesome, but probably wouldn't be on Disney+! :laugh:

That's already returning, with a celebrity voice cast including Mark Hamill as Skeletor no less!

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/masters-of-the-universe-revelation-everything-we-know-so-far-02-2020/

Oh great.  His voice will work perfectly.  

1 hour ago, Oky said:

Well, just like any fan of the show, after only 2 season I am left wanting more too, but I do think it wrapped up nicely, so there's no need to revisit it really I think. Maybe a sequel series where the kids are grown up could work though.

I've heard others make that same suggestion for a follow-up, and I don't really see why, as the kids' voice actors were already adults. I mean, is it narratively necessary to have them grow-up right away if there were to be a follow-up? Couldn't it just be set during the following summer? :shrug_confused: