Here is my take on modifying the Downtown Diner. I used two sets, and sort of mirrorbuild one set. The footprint is 56 studs. I widened the stairs on both sides with one stud to reach the 56 studs. 

Lego 10260 Downtown Diner XL modification ready!

Looks very very nice! Now just wondering where you'll put it! Seeing it this way, it kind of reminds me of the Biff Hotel in Back to the Future II, when they go to the alternative 1985. I bet you weren't striving for that, but still looks gorgeous.

Nice work! (and you know I don't often comment on many MOCs, aside from the modular rumours page!)

Doubled up like that, I think it would look good as an end-cap, taking the place of two corner modulars (like Brick Bank and Grand Emporium, for example) placed at the end of a 64 x ### row of buildings. Of course it would need to be centered on two 32x32 baseplates. You could mod the back so the tan apartment build touched the sides other modulars.

Edited by gotoAndLego

Looks good!  Only minor change I would make is to remove one of the two jukeboxes, probably the one that is endcapping two of the booths.  Maybe even move it up to the recording studio.  

The symmetrical mod for this makes the set look so much better, and great to finally see in real bricks! :thumbup: :sweet:

5 hours ago, paupadros said:

Seeing it this way, it kind of reminds me of the Biff Hotel in Back to the Future II, when they go to the alternative 1985. 

Hmm, it kind of does look that way. 

300?cb=20070125053257

3 hours ago, AFOLguy1970 said:

Looks good!  Only minor change I would make is to remove one of the two jukeboxes, probably the one that is endcapping two of the booths.  Maybe even move it up to the recording studio.  

Splendid idea, immediately moved the second jukebox upstairs!! 

Nicely done!  I definitely prefer it like that myself, but I think it would look better if the rounded tower section came up a bit further past the top of the rest of the building, like 4 studs.  That's what I had in mind for my mod that looked good in photo mockup, anyway... but I still haven't managed to grab a couple copies to give it a try.  I must say you've done a great job on the interiors, especially the diner itself, and I think I'll borrow from you there.  I'm also curious as to where you're going to put it in your town, so please share when you get there!  :classic:

21 hours ago, deraven said:

Nicely done!  I definitely prefer it like that myself, but I think it would look better if the rounded tower section came up a bit further past the top of the rest of the building, like 4 studs.  That's what I had in mind for my mod that looked good in photo mockup, anyway... but I still haven't managed to grab a couple copies to give it a try.  I must say you've done a great job on the interiors, especially the diner itself, and I think I'll borrow from you there.  I'm also curious as to where you're going to put it in your town, so please share when you get there!  :classic:

I raised the tower a 3 1/3 stud....it looks actually okay to me...!

Lego 10260 Downtown Diner XL mod with higher mid-tower.

Lego 10260 Downtown Diner XL mod with higher mid-tower

Lego 10260 Downtown Diner XL mod with higher mid-tower

1 hour ago, LegoSjaak said:

I raised the tower a 3 1/3 stud....it looks actually okay to me...!

I think that looks nice!  Not a drastic change, but I think it helps the whole thing feel more balanced and less squat.  Seeing your IRL version, I'm definitely going that direction myself once I get around to picking it up!  :sweet:

It works great as a standalone.  The one bad side has been eliminated with the mirror building on all three levels.  Now that there is ample parking available, it makes much more sense to have servers on skates and limited booth seating.  It can truly function as a drive in diner as well with your setup.  

20 minutes ago, AFOLguy1970 said:

It works great as a standalone.  The one bad side has been eliminated with the mirror building on all three levels.  Now that there is ample parking available, it makes much more sense to have servers on skates and limited booth seating.  It can truly function as a drive in diner as well with your setup.  

You just unveiled my secret.... want to make a one way driveway around it....combined with parking lots...

I think this stand alone xxl-version of DD is by far my favourite of all the xxl-ed modulars so far. It looks as if it was made to be displayed alone. Well done.

Here it is in it's natural habitat... made paving and bushes on each side to allow cars to drive around it....

Lego 10260 Downtown Diner XL with road around it in my layout!

On 22-1-2018 at 10:52 PM, Redhead1982 said:

I think this stand alone xxl-version of DD is by far my favourite of all the xxl-ed modulars so far. It looks as if it was made to be displayed alone. Well done.

Although it looks still small, it does look good as a standalone!

On 22-1-2018 at 7:45 PM, AFOLguy1970 said:

I will have to order some rollerskates and a few chicks....

Hello LegoSjaak,

We are Canadian Brickyard, a new YouTube Lego channel focused on building a Lego City (https://www.youtube.com/c/CanadianBrickyard) and sharing our build journey with our viewers.

After coming across your Downtown Diner MOC, we fell in love with the dimensions and esthetics to the point where we would love to build our own and incorporate it into our city.
With your permission, would you be willing to let us copy your design - and of course provide the necessary credit to yourself for designing the alternate build?

Regardless of your response, we would like to thank you again for your creativity!
Kindest regards,
Canadian Brickyard =)

On 22-1-2018 at 7:45 PM, AFOLguy1970 said:

I will have to order some rollerskates and a few chicks....

12 hours ago, Canadian Brickyard said:

Hello LegoSjaak,

We are Canadian Brickyard, a new YouTube Lego channel focused on building a Lego City (https://www.youtube.com/c/CanadianBrickyard) and sharing our build journey with our viewers.

After coming across your Downtown Diner MOC, we fell in love with the dimensions and esthetics to the point where we would love to build our own and incorporate it into our city.
With your permission, would you be willing to let us copy your design - and of course provide the necessary credit to yourself for designing the alternate build?

Regardless of your response, we would like to thank you again for your creativity!
Kindest regards,
Canadian Brickyard =)

No problem, copy ahead! It is always nice to inspire someone!