Johnny1360

Sets with large sized extra pieces

Sorry if a thread like this already exists, I did search back over 20 pages. 

Anyway almost all sets have extra bits, mostly small common parts. Every now and then a set comes along that has a rather substantial or large useful element as an extra piece, not contained in the parts list. 

Such was the case for me with set 60148 ATV Race Team, had an extra light grey plate 2x16, very useful. I have purchased two of these sets at least six months apart and they both had it. This set can be found very cheap now as well, like $12.

So just wondering if anyone else has come across such sets. And if so which sets. 

Edited by Johnny1360
Added some stuff

I've had this a few times - I think in some cases those large parts get manually added; so you end up with two on occasion.

70362 has extra sword part, 70366 has extra lance part. as in 60148 this items not packed into bag inside box. in all three cases the item is long and narrow.

my speculation. as we know, lego checks is bag contains all parts by weight. as 1x1 plates, tiles etc. too light - we get them as extra. here I think the same story but on box level. I think scales that checks set accuracy isn't enought to catch missing plate 2x16 or clay's sword so we got extra.

You tend to get large extra pieces when those pieces are loose in the box or in one of those stretchier, non-numbered bags. Presumably those contents don't undergo a weight check as precise as the parts contained in the regular crinkly bags, so an extra is included to ensure they don't get left out

I think the biggest parts I've seen come as extras like this are the medium sized dragon wings introduced in LEGO Elves.

Ghostbusters HQ too, if I remember well.

I would guess that in the case of the pole (and the dragon wing mentioned above) the extra part is there because the part can break more easily (either in the box or when playing).

On 1/26/2018 at 11:49 AM, antp said:

Ghostbusters HQ too, if I remember well.

I would guess that in the case of the pole (and the dragon wing mentioned above) the extra part is there because the part can break more easily (either in the box or when playing).

I have doubts about that, because the larger dragon wing from Vikings never comes as an extra, and it’s both the same thickness and same material as the newer, smaller wing. That’s why I figure it’s more likely weight-related.

On 1/26/2018 at 4:00 AM, Aanchir said:

You tend to get large extra pieces when those pieces are loose in the box or in one of those stretchier, non-numbered bags. 

This in fact does seem to be the case. Got an extra flex axle white 19 studs long and extra sticker sheet in set 42076, yesterday. They were loose in the box as well, woo hoo. 

On 28/01/2018 at 1:15 PM, Aanchir said:

I have doubts about that, because the larger dragon wing from Vikings never comes as an extra, and it’s both the same thickness and same material as the newer, smaller wing. That’s why I figure it’s more likely weight-related.

But Vikings were sets from a few years ago, that's not really comparable.

Maybe they started to include extras of some more fragile parts to avoid too many after-sales service costs or disappointment from the buyers.

Extra parts are there to compensate the more automated process (and/or less control). If I remember well in the 80s only 1x1 round plates sometime came as extra (and just because they were as pair, on a sprue), but not all the other small parts like they do now.

Edited by antp

1 hour ago, antp said:

But Vikings were sets from a few years ago, that's not really comparable.

Maybe they started to include extras of some more fragile parts to avoid too many after-sales service costs or disappointment from the buyers.

Extra parts are there to compensate the more automated process (and/or less control). If I remember well in the 80s only 1x1 round plates sometime came as extra (and just because they were as pair, on a sprue), but not all the other small parts like they do now.

That larger dragon wing has still been in use as recently as last year, in the Goblin King's Evil Dragon set from Elves. Unlike the smaller wings (like the ones in another of last year's Elves sets, Rosalyn's Healing Hideout), an extra of the larger ones is not included.

Received an extra dbg chain 16 long in set 60183 Heavy Cargo Transport, not in the part inventory. Quite desirable piece for me. 

6 hours ago, Blk69 said:

My set also had this extra 2x16 plate.  Love getting a free bie.  

I would be fairly OCD if there was a large extra part like that left over.  Probably would end up taking the model apart, and then putting it back together to see if I forgot a step where the part was needed.  It does happen from time to time.  

On 3/21/2018 at 7:27 AM, AFOLguy1970 said:

I would be fairly OCD if there was a large extra part like that left over.  Probably would end up taking the model apart, and then putting it back together to see if I forgot a step where the part was needed.  It does happen from time to time.  

Funny I did exactly that, though didn't have to totally disassemble the truck to figure it out. 

Received a extra Flex Axle Black 16L with my latest set 42078 Mack Anthem, can always use more flex axles, yay.