BrickbyBrickTechnic

[WIP] 2-stage Tractor | 42054 C model (Refinements to attachment)

I'm not sure if 2 stage tractor is the right term, but @Milan posted this beautiful picture at some point and some lights turned on in my head:

Capture8

CURRENT STATE:

IMG_8024

So I decided to build one. It will have the same 4 steering modes shown above. Referencing the picture down below, the yellow axle controls front wheel steering, parallel track, and combined front wheel and chassis. The black axle only controls articulated steering, in order to align the chassis to let the other modes work. Therefore, everything must be aligned in order for parallel track and combined front wheel and chassis. It is all controlled by a gearbox. Additionally, there will be a PTO and I will make a lawn mower attachment with 2 functions (both motorized).

Here are some pictures. First (2nd-5th picture) are the 4 steering modes and then how they are controlled. Please excuse the photo quality:

IMG_7950IMG_7952IMG_7953IMG_7954IMG_7955IMG_7947IMG_7949

That's all. Please leave criticism and comments. I will post a video of steering soon.

BbBT

Edited by BrickbyBrickTechnic

You are a master of 42054, look forward to seeing how this progresses.

quick question - are you still planning on making a slurry tanker or other trailer type attachment for your saddle trac c model? 

Im hoping to try and create a simple trailer for my set which has a single axle with 42054 wheels, either as a separate mini trailer or a single axle version of the saddle trac slurry tank. I haven’t been able to find a picture of this anywhere (probably as it isn’t realistic?).  Interested on your opinion on this.

I don’t really understand the technical advantage of having a dual steering system on a tractor instead of a all wheel steer one with different modes.

But You did your creation perfectly, I’m curious too see the final result, good continuation :)

So far steering modes are good, but IMHO your moc is to wide :sadnew:

3 hours ago, Doug72 said:

I  congratulate you on in getting four steering modes.

Doug

1 hour ago, Paknaloid said:

You are a master of 42054, look forward to seeing how this progresses.

quick question - are you still planning on making a slurry tanker or other trailer type attachment for your saddle trac c model? 

It's in the back of my mind- I know what pieces I'm going to use and how I'm going to build it. But first I must go on an alternate model spree (I've got a lot of ideas).

1 hour ago, Superkoala said:

I don’t really understand the technical advantage of having a dual steering system on a tractor instead of a all wheel steer one with different modes.

But You did your creation perfectly

Thanks a lot! I'm not too sure about that myself (I'm not a tractor enthusiast :laugh:) but it was a good challenge to come up with an interpretation of the system. 

1 hour ago, Aventador2004 said:

Yes, I remember the Valta tractors mentioned, good luck!

Thank you!

24 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

So far steering modes are good, but IMHO your moc is to wide :sadnew:

Thanks. I'll try changing the rear so it is less wide, or making the whole thing longer (the front is kind of locked in now due to all the mechanism, which is it's most efficient now after 6 iterations) 

It's just my general complain (even my Unimog is half a stud to wide). Nevertheless it is interesting concept :thumbup:

Some time I got this far

800x533.jpg

there was also 4x4 drive. Stucked on gearbox, which could switch steering modes.

16 hours ago, Jurss said:

Some time I got this far

Looks like a very nice start! I see how you got stuck with it though. I assume to switch modes the axle with the 20z gears would slide?

1 hour ago, I_Igor said:

perhaps my solution for New Holland supersteer could help you 

It seems, that You have something different, articulated steering point is very close to front axle.

1 hour ago, Jurss said:

It seems, that You have something different, articulated steering point is very close to front axle.

It is a bit different but it is the same principle like on steering mode under number 2. just in my case whole exle articulates like front part of Valtra tractor

On 1/14/2018 at 4:32 AM, I_Igor said:

@brickbybricktechmnic perhaps my solution for New Holland supersteer could help you 

Not sure how that would help, but an interesting solution nonetheless. I have rebuilt the steering, and the solution is somewhat like that but not so close to the articulation point.

13 hours ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

Not sure how that would help, but an interesting solution nonetheless. I have rebuilt the steering, and the solution is somewhat like that but not so close to the articulation point.

Articulated point as far away that is true, but it has same principle, now next step is to integrate CLAAS 3 way steering in this model to gain those steering modes :wink:

Update: I have rebuilt the steering mechanism and added the front bodywork. Now, the steering mode gets controlled by a lever in the cab, which I think is great.

IMG_7959IMG_7957IMG_7960

That's  all- comment below!

All it is is there was more topics to look through, not everyone has hours to look through topics.

It's good, keep working.

I'll be honest with you, I didmr comment on the front because they are all startimg to look the same.

BUT, the back is looking good! It looks like it is sticking out to far from the mower itself though. 

Front looks good IMHO, it is simple, smooth and narrow as it should be. The only complain is that you have turned left tire the erong way.

Rear attachment is good but I think it is unfinished

4 hours ago, aminnich said:

I'll be honest with you, I didmr comment on the front because they are all startimg to look the same.

Makes sense. The last 3 have been tractor-type. But I try and change it up each time. After this I am taking a long, long break from 42054.

2 hours ago, I_Igor said:

The only complain is that you have turned left tire the erong way.

Rear attachment is good but I think it is unfinished

Multiple people have pointed the tires out. I will change them but for now I am lazy. Rear attachment is a sketch to reserve the parts. It will be refined.

43 minutes ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

Multiple people have pointed the tires out. I will change them but for now I am lazy. Rear attachment is a sketch to reserve the parts. It will be refined.

It's OK, the whole project is interesting because tractors are very interesting subject for mocs.

17 hours ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

Well, clearly no one cares about the front. How about a lawn mower attachment instead?

haha, you should try building a helicopter WIP...

I'am  half way through the tractor part of 42054 and I gotta say i'm loosing interest in it. I guess following instructions layed out for 10 year olds is hardly challenging. I love all these C models on this forum and tractor ones are great.

this one is looking mighty good so far with very compact front end. I think I would rather build one of your c models than carry on with the A model. that last tractor you did looks great but ill wait to see what this ends up like before choosing and hope you will do instructions?

all these tractors are inspiring me to do my own MOC tractor (but not c model)

:thumbup:

6 hours ago, MangaNOID said:

this one is looking mighty good so far with very compact front end. I think I would rather build one of your c models than carry on with the A model. that last tractor you did looks great but ill wait to see what this ends up like before choosing and hope you will do instructions?

all these tractors are inspiring me to do my own MOC tractor (but not c model)

Thanks a lot! I will definitely be doing instructions for this MOC (though potentially not for a month or two). Tractors are fun builds (now I can say so myself). If you do find a nice tractor to build, just do it :classic:

Another (LEGO) tractor fan here! 

I think you are doing an awesome job with all these c-models. Personally speaking i'm more a 'lurker' than a frequent commenter. That doesn't necessarily mean we are not interested in your creation though. Keep up the good work!