When almost everything in Technic is already done only the aesthetics make the difference, so now we are normal Lego with functions inside.

10 hours ago, jorgeopesi said:

When almost everything in Technic is already done only the aesthetics make the difference, so now we are normal Lego with functions inside.

I don't agree. Maybe most mechanical functions have been done, but they always can be done better.

Edited by Didumos69

My stance is that I would like a good mixture of functionality and aesthetics. As if one attempts to fit too much complexity into a model, It can compromise the aesthetics greatly. However, it all depends on the goals of the original builder, were they wanting to model an actual vehicle, or did they want to replicate a function in a vehicle? As this will determine one's mindset for building. 

I feel that the lack of responses on some posts could be due to the commonality of topics found on this form, as one can see from the HOF, a large portion of models are cars, thus one may not see as many responses on those topics, due to them saturating this forum. As with these vehicles, the functionality is limited to what the real car can do. Then during these cases, differentiation between models will depend on their aesthetics, rather than the functionality, as if the functionality is identical, the aesthetics sets one apart from the other. I understand that everyone has their own niche of building subjects, however, more unique vehicles will receive more attention. If builders want to stand out, the functionality should be the main focus when presenting the model, though some viewers will just see the aesthetics at a glance, and that will sway their view.

5 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

Maybe most mechanical functions have been done, but they always be done better.

I agree, and gearboxes are a great example of this.

a bit late to the party but...

Its’ interesting to find myself awe-inspired by some MOC's (not just these forums but the whole plethora of technic MOC's on the internet) but to be a little let down by the visible build quality on a video for example (hard to judge build quality unless you build something). one I remember was a great looking scaled MOC with lots of functions but it seemed to wobble around so much, not looking very structurally sound or rigid in the chassis. Surprising in my view considering the great MOC's this person has built. But that could have been just a fun quick build instead of taking it too seriously. That’s fine LEGO should be fun of course not deadly serious to try and be the best.

I was full of a function function first view when starting back in Lego just over a year ago but...

Myself I have only done 1.5 technic MOC's both being quite different from each other. a TC entry that was packed full of functions that admittedly looked quite poor, and a current one which I wanted to pack full of functions but interestingly enough the aesthetics are tacking over this build which I thought would never happen to anything I build, although (in my case for example) space can be a limiting factor in functions when trying to balance looks and functions. In other words I am really enjoying the challenge of looks priority over the functions this time. 

I think aesthetics or functions whatever way one goes in their models interests me as long as they do the best they can for the direction that one has gone.

I believe Lego Technic is about solving problems at its core, and combining form and function is the most fundamental aspect of this. I don't consider a model complete if I feel like the builder did not solve this problem. Your WIP topics seem to indicate that you might share the same feelings :)

On 1/13/2018 at 11:35 AM, Didumos69 said:

Another aspect of the showing-off-side of this forum is that apparently Technic models are only front-paged when they look awesome. Why not front-page a great working gearbox? Or a game-changing proof of concept. This is a Technic forum after all.

I think there is a distinction between "lego technic modeling" and "engineering with lego technic pieces". A great working gearbox would fall in the latter category, and only appeals to a subset of people at the technic sub-forum, let alone everyone on eurobricks. On the other hand a regular working gearbox, other functions and aesthetics, all combined in a polished package as a car, vehicle or whatever the builder imagined, falls into the former category. It appeals to a much larger audience, therefore much more suitable for frontpaging as it is a better tool for selling this sub-forum to other members, or newcomers (I feel like calling them the uninitiated :D).

However, these two categories I mentioned do not have clear boundaries, it's more like a spectrum. And the fact that there is an audience here on any range of this spectrum creates the welcoming atmosphere.

4 minutes ago, zweihander said:

And the fact that there is an audience here on any range of this spectrum creates the welcoming atmosphere.

I wish we could shout 'noob' more, like people in the online tank game I play. :devil:

No I don't actually.  :wink: