• Pop-Up Book
    • Boat House Diner
    • The Lighthouse
    • Jaguar E-Type Roadster
    • The Dive Shop
    • RuPaul's Brick Race
    • The LEGO Christmas Story House
    • None

Which project do you think will be LEGO's choice for the Second 2017 Ideas Review?

4763008-Projects_in_Review-HnLomVTTaiC1R

Likewise, what do you think LEGO's choice will be for the Third 2017 Ideas Review?

5047613-Projects_in_Review-puZPln3mN2XMO

My vote for Space Shuttle in Saturn V scale is in the desire for it to be made and not necessarily in the belief that it will be approved because I don't understand the decision process.

My vote for the pop up book on the other hand is in the belief that it is a very nice and original idea and the most likely of that batch to get approved if any do. Plus pop up books were always pretty sweet as a kid.

I voted The Wonders of Peru because of a combination of fondness for the project in context with other projects, and likelihood of selection in the same context.  Otherwise, I'd say that NF-15B Research Aircraft has a good chance.

I voted The Lighthouse because I want it.  I could see the Pop-Up Book getting the green light, though, and I would enjoy it.

I hope the pop-up book will get approved. It's an awesome idea for a LEGO set

Also, that would mean they would need to re-release the Grandma Visitor

1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

I hope the pop-up book will get approved. It's an awesome idea for a LEGO set

Also, that would mean they would need to re-release the Grandma Visitor

Or a slightly different version.  Or they might choose the concepts and stories to represent a little differently.

I personally like the Jungle theme.  The Castle, which should appeal to me, leaves me wanting.

I don't know if Lego has some kind of rule for or against allowing multiple sets from the same author.
The pop-up book is from the same author as the Maze set, so I hope it's not a criteria against this set
since I'd like to see it go into production.

If Lego does refuse new ideas from the same authors then it's going to be slim pickings in the third review,
because four sets belong to authors which allready have (had) a set in production.

I would love Gilmore Girls - Luke's Diner, but NF-15B Research Aircraft is most plausible. Of the marketable ideas, it has the least in common with current Lego products.

Jaguar E-Type Roadster is plausible, but Pop-Up Book is more probable.

10 hours ago, Humdrum said:

I don't know if Lego has some kind of rule for or against allowing multiple sets from the same author.
The pop-up book is from the same author as the Maze set, so I hope it's not a criteria against this set
since I'd like to see it go into production.

If Lego does refuse new ideas from the same authors then it's going to be slim pickings in the third review,
because four sets belong to authors which allready have (had) a set in production.

They do not have such a rule, and have chosen a second project from a designer in the past.

This one isn’t really that much of a game for these two reviews, sadly. 

Second Review - None. 

Gilmore Girls Diner has no brand synergy. It fails same way Golden Girls did. 

Peru is the most interesting. Colorful, but likely no real market for what is essentially a Peru tourism set. 

I am Your Father is Star Wars pre existing license. Not gonna happen

Space Shuttle has been done so many times by Lego in so many scales that it won’t be considered for Ideas. The only Idea this set brings is the requested scale. It’s just “what you already made, but bigger/smaller” 

Research Aircraft. Only real contender. But they have those so saturated in Creator sets that it really has no differentiation. Plus jet fighter problem. 

Saturn V Launch Tower is an add on for another set. Instant fail. 

Third Period

Pop up Book is the easy winner. It’s too obvious. Unique, clever, eye catching, family friendly. 

Lighthouse, Bout House Diner and Dive Shop are all really continuations of the wonderful Old Fishing Store. While each is wonderful I don’t see them building a line of these. At least not through Ideas. Not impossible but really unlikely. 

A Christmas Story House, let’s be honest, it’s a crude flat build that is riding an IP alone and doesn’t appear to include any of the charms of the IP. A Christmas Story set might be viable. But this isn’t it. 

RuPauls Drag Race. Not just no, hells no! No way, no how, never! Lego is NOT going to kick over that can of worms. Not brand friendly. 

Jaguar, put this down as an outside chance. It’s a gorgeous model that doesn’t seem too huge. Plus I don’t think Lego has a Jaguar License in effect. But the pop up book is a better fit Ideas set. 

2nd review - can't see anything really making it, although I would buy the Saturn V Launch Tower if it were made.

3rd review - Lighthouse, Boat House Diner and Dive Shop can't see them making these, the rest with the possible exception of the pop up book I also think are no-no's

All in all makes for a bit of a bleak time for new Ideas sets.

Edited by LucyCol
spelling

My guess for the second review would be the Space Shuttle because "real" space sets sell well and the crazy success for the ideas Saturn V would likely make it a winner. The others have limited appeal or licensing issues -- not always the  death knell (BBT, BttF, GB, Beatles YS), but Gilmore Girls? Really? Not to mention that "newish rule" about licensed submissions in existing themes kinda voids I Am Your Father... But it WOULD be a nice set.

For the third review I say Pop-Up book because it's different in the same way that designer's maze set was different. And they like "different" at Lego Ideas. If not that one then I could see the Jaguar happening as it would fit well with Caterham and with the other large cars they've done (VW Bus, Bug and Mini Cooper).

I would love to see the three Fishing village sets happen. The Old Fishing Store is probably my favorite build of 2017 and I'd love to have a whole row of similarly themed buildings along my city shoreline. But I think it's too soon after OFS for another one; plus having three at once only makes them compete with themselves. What I COULD see happening is these getting their own product line with an annual or semi-annual release. The same sort of deal Mr. Reed landed with his Architecture series. At the very least, the designers could make a few $ selling the plans online should the sets never materialize. Here's hoping!

--Mr Bill

None, and book. Although I wouldn't buy it. It's clever but not much to look at.

On 19.1.2018 at 12:57 PM, MAB said:

None, and book. Although I wouldn't buy it. It's clever but not much to look at.

On 19.1.2018 at 4:54 PM, AnnaBuildsLego said:

I agree with the general sentiment that none will be chosen from the 2nd batch, and the only one from the 3rd group will be the Pop-Up Book. 

I agree and now the first statement have come true and one set is already approved for the next review..

So sad about the shuttle and the launch tower.  I just hope the creators will release some instructions... I would pay good money for them!

Not surprised here except maybe the fact that they can already confirm a green light for at least one project in the next batch.  Of course, I am assuming the frontrunner is the pop up book.  Greenlighting it now gives the team a chance to test structural integrity and perhaps tweek the various storyline(s) that would go with it.  Pop up book is definitely the labyrinth of this round.  

No surprise there. This was probably the worst batch so far

The fact that they already confirmed a project will pass the next review, makes me think it might be one of robenanne's projects

I expect the Pop-Up Book will make it, and it deserves it.  But I want more of the Old Fishing Store theme.  They need to just approve all of his stuff and make them.

First of all, I’m sorry for all the builders and for the people who wanted those to become official sets. But I’m personally really happy with this decision! Now I can hope for the Pop-Up book + the Boat House Diner or the Lighthouse! I know they might not select two projects in the same review but I will keep hoping :classic: I’d say the already approved project is the Pop-Up Book without any doubts, that’s a project that everyone adores! If any other projects don’t get approved, I’ll wait until the other review - and I really hope they select a real modular in the first 2018 review- the arcade which seems to reach 10 000 or one of the beautiful buildings by italovergnat or the new brilliant golden century building if they reach + the tree house which seems to reach! We (or at least me :grin:) really need a modular from the ideas line, there are very creative ones and I just can’t wait for one year for a modular, that’s too much :cry_sad: Anyway, for the third review, I really hope at least the Pop-Up book would be/is approved, it really deserves! 

Looks like EB users are fairly on the ball when it comes to predictions.

I didn't check out this poll until after the most recent results were announced. I tried to vote for my predictions for the next review, but it wouldn't let me cast a vote in just that poll and not the other one. Obviously I know what the results were, and I could easily go ahead and vote for "none", but I didn't want to look like I cheated by waiting until the announcement when in reality I'm only voting in that poll so I can vote in the following one, so even though I already know nothing was approved in the Second 2017 Review, I went ahead and voted for everything. :laugh:

For the Third 2017 Review, I'm picking the Pop-Up Book and the Jaguar. I think the Pop-Up Book is the likeliest, and probably the one that's already been approved. While I think it's a fantastic project, and one I supported myself, I'm rather irked at my procrastination, since one of the many, many projects I've been contemplating for years is a LEGO pop-up book of my own, and I've never gotten around to building and submitting it. If it happens, it will actually be the second time someone else gets a set made from an idea I had earlier but never got around to submitting (the first being the Beatles' Yellow Submarine). It's a problem I've had for a long time that I'm struggling to overcome. But I can't begrudge Jason Alleman any success that comes his way, especially since he's created tons of other amazing projects over the years that haven't garnered as much success as they've deserved. If anything, JK Brickworks is overdue for a second approved Ideas project. I just need to get to work on my remaining projects.

I wonder how well the Old Fishing Store has been selling. It was a great set, and I would love to see any of these other seaside buildings as an official set. However, if the Old Fishing Store was a financial failure it is unlikely Lego would make another similar big set in this theme.