GT_8Ricks

42077 - Rally Car - MODs and Improvements

I have turned this into a Mods and Improvement topic, since we didn't have one (or I haven't been able to find it).

Yeah, I really liked that review setup, and Jim (btw, 11111 posts :thumbup:) has given his approval for me to use it.
I really like your MOD, too.

5 minutes ago, steph77 said:

Thanks. Pleased to hear you like it both of you :wink:

The 4 Cylinder inline engine is something TLG could have done in the first place. Would be a nice change, to the omni-present-V6.

I still need to build mine. Maybe I will go for Full-RC with some MODs. It looks like a very nice set to do some MODding.

Btw, why is there even a second chair? Ahh wait, Rally Cars often have the "Co-pilot". Hard left, medium right, crest ahead...

When modding mine i have this picture in mind. (Renault Mégane) here Under next to my mod:

Still some work to do but proportions are quiet ok. I also think that an standard Renault Yellow/Black livery could be cool. 

NIVZVr.jpgpt4eHt.jpg

But first, the gearbox...

@Steph : Can't wait to see the final version of this MOD. Good idea for the 4 cylinders. Maybe you can add a turbo ?

I think the best modification to do concern the wheel arches. Can't you find the new wheel arches panel ?

Just now, Nebulaire said:

I think the best modification to do concern the wheel arches. Can't you find the new wheel arches panel ?

Absolutely! He does have at least one of those hehe

6 minutes ago, Jim said:

It looks like a very nice set to do some MODding.

Btw, why is there even a second chair? Ahh wait, Rally Cars often have the "Co-pilot". Hard left, medium right, crest ahead...

It is.

In this design, Chairs are used to stiffen the frame :wink:

Just now, Jim said:

Absolutely! He does have at least one of those hehe

Yes, hé hé.

I already tested it, but the wheels are ways ways to shorts for it....

Take 2.

f4p9rr.jpg

These two days work goes on. I placed the gearbox inside. Actually I have a smooth functional 4+N+R transmission. I still have to build and integrate a stepper or other mechanics to command the gearbox.

I also work on the design errata. After trying to use the new wheel arches panel, which doesn't match on this model, I choose a simple flex axle in red that goes from the front to the rear in a continuous line.

From mechanical point of views add a torsion bar for the rear suspension and I am actually working on a second one for the front axle witch is a little tricky.

Here are more pictures of the actual state of the WIP:

View of the complete car with full bodywork:

wOdL0E.jpg

w62RQZ.jpg

LpDsSj.jpg

View of the car with the bodywork removed. I love it like this. One of the next thing to do will be to simplify the bodywork connection to the frame so that it will be more easy to remove it:

XIMgRE.jpg

3kiuHo.jpg

View of the anti-roll bar and gearbox commands:

QRH3zt.jpg

Detail of the upper part of the gearbox (simple 4 speed standard configuration)

9oFHHK.jpg

Interior view. I complete the design with a 5/11 panel in order of closing all the gaps in the frame. Interior looks credible like this.

xU27CZ.jpg

And finaly the pilot's space in a more detailed picture:

JUYOFD.jpg

As always any comments, idea or contribution is welcome.

Steph.

Edited by steph77
Editing links as it doesn't work in main editor

Your modifications so far are great. Good job putting the engine in the front, the gears and the steering are much needed improvements. I would change the front end too. It needs an air intake (grille) at the front to cool your engine. I'm not a fan of the overall colour of the car but I understand if you cant change it. Maybe change the seat colour to a light or dark grey.

H

Take 3

Works goes on. Today one major update : functional and integrated shifter. I can say now I have a fully functional 4+N+R sequential gearbox :excited:

RcVzUr.jpg

I also take count of members opinions, idea and suggestions: I made new front grids and new seat

General view : I really appreciate this model more and more. In the battle to integrate the gearbox shifter I had to get back to initial rear suspension setup.

mboPcH.jpg

Rear view,  I made some changes to the original design who was to flat and realy much too blue: the black parts in the centre of the hood are the shifter commands.

2Yfc9c.jpg

After hours, in fact more than one day of work, I finaly get the idea to place the shifter at the back of the car. Much more practicable like this

12srgt.jpg

9fSQ9d.jpg

So what do you think about this guys?

Steph

EDIT: To @Horace T : picture of the new colored seat. I do not have the necessary parts in light or dark grey as there are two panels 1X5 to place.

Edited by steph77

23 hours ago, Horace T said:

the gears and the steering are much needed improvements.

What do you mean by this?

Amazing improvements steph!

Looks are always debatable, but the standard set really falls flat on mechanicals and authenticity, when news first broke about a rally car i was hoping for a transverse I4 engine and gearbox, pretty much like this. I might rebuild mine into the A model and give it some modifications, see if i find it acceptable like that

6 hours ago, vectormatic said:

Amazing improvements steph!

I might rebuild mine into the A model and give it some modifications, see if i find it acceptable like that

Thanks,

I think this set is a really perfect start point for Mods. I am pleased that my work can give you some inspiration so you go further with your own model.

5 hours ago, Bartybum said:

Damn dude that red trim on the sides looks mint ?

Thanks. I find it gives some homogeneity to the side view and 3/4 front views of the car.

This pictures was missing in my previous post: detail of the new seat:

Qxj0Kx.jpg

S.

Edited by steph77

Any chance of covering up the remaining gaps above the red flex axles with some small panels, or making the rear look nicer?

Edited by Bartybum

23 hours ago, Bartybum said:

Any chance of covering up the remaining gaps above the red flex axles with some small panels, or making the rear look nicer?

Here we go.

Take 04

VPfBEs.jpg

Yesterday was time to mod the back of this car. Here is the result. Mail goal was to recreate a rear windshield , keep the spoiler and add some relive at the trunk

here it is:

4veDzQ.jpg

z2YLhv.jpg

And also keep main functionalities of these parts, it still open largely:

LAxtDf.jpg

You can see in picture below that I add two indicators on top of steering whell. Also, the trunck design match perfectly the gearbox command setup. It actually has a better access to the paddle shifter.

The rear trunk links ave also been revised and it offer now a 3 position possible setup.

W18yeS.jpg

From the mechanical point of view I rebuilt totally the gearbox stepper as it was only 80%reliable.

After test, based on 100 gear changes up and down I am actually at 92% of success gear change.

Can someone who own Porsche and/or Bugatti tell me if I am ok with those stats?

Steph. 

Edited by steph77

Looking good ?? only thing is now to give it a little bit of booty. Those rear bumper panels could also do with a redesign

Take 4 is freaking awesome! I love the red flex axles as wheel arches.

most-definitely-its-a-yes-from-me.jpg

20 hours ago, Bartybum said:

Looking good ?? only thing is now to give it a little bit of booty. Those rear bumper panels could also do with a redesign

Thx. I've tried yesterday but wasn't convicted by bumpers replacement. However I do command them and I must receive my parts in 3-5 days

19 hours ago, Jim said:

Take 4 is freaking awesome! I love the red flex axles as wheel arches.

Thanks Jim! it's so a little thing (red flex axles) that I do not understand TLG didn't go with them at first.

13 hours ago, vectormatic said:

looking good! the overall profile and rear remind me of a mk3 renault megane coupe now, cool stuff!

it does :)

And finally the very small mods of yesterday:

- Continuous white line of the windshield profile until the trunk end,

- B pillar

- Getting back the driver seat by one stud with consequence of removing doors lock system. I finally found it was a good stuf but with one ugly aspect (springs) view from the inner of the car.

On the other side I now have a credible space for driver's leg.

I now wait for the parts I ordered, hoping they will be useful...

o2Ob7Q.jpg

SHC3Ng.jpg

fbX0ip.jpg

NB: I also ordered 3 of those new orange gear selector..

Edited by steph77

Very clever modifications. What you have done with the engine and added gear box is very clever indeed. I think this set was made to be modified.

H

Thanks all!

Another complementary thought omitted in the first post: I really enjoyed this exercise of modification. Starting from a healthy base (the official model) I was able to focus on one theme at a time. Each one constituting a mini project in the project.
We start with the new chassis, integrating both the known attachment points of the body and imagining the spaces for the suite, it was the most difficult. Then each submodule is thought of as a proper entity: The selector, the BV .... then come the retouches, the trunk, the wheel arches. This allowed me to go step by step, without discouraging myself and concentrating on the essential with each time a significant analysis time but which is an integral part of the experience.

Another thing omitted, the entire BV is made with the parts of old generation (driving rings in pair length) This forced me to be creative to avoid friction. So for example the changeover catch have all their own fixing points perfectly independent of the rotating axes of the gearbox.

In the end the 99 euros invested have brought me infinitely more play time, fun shared with my son and the final satisfaction that the simple assembly of the set. Also, knowing during the initial editing that I was going to modify it, the editing time was used to understand the designer's ideas, to remove the essence, because it was these elements that were finally maintained and that forged the final success of the MOD.

I am therefore looking forward to the next model of its kind, with great potential for change, because it is clear, it will not be the last;)

Thanks again for your feedback

Edited by steph77