ALCO

Switch Modification

I have quite a few switches and have been interested in modifying some of them for a while now. I found a couple PowerPoint presentations from BrickWorld in years past discussing how to modify switches. The one thing they do not cover is moving the throw to the other side of the track. Now, I know there are switches from 4DBricks in just about every configuration including with the throw on the other side. But if I have an over-supply of switches, and have no need to purchase more, then modifying my existing stock makes more sense. Is there a write up on how to move the throw it is that really something I will have to figure out for myself?

I am unaware of any mods for LEGO produced switches that move the switch throw to the other side of the tracks.  Most of the mods I know of are to make single crossovers that fit the existing 8 stud spacing and 16x alignment geometry.

@legoman666, that is why I let someone else do the modifying and just by them off Bricklink.  I have bought a custom crossover from Sanders' Bricks on Bricklink.  He does great work.  I posted pictures in another switch mod post a few days ago on here.  They are great quality and you have to look very close to see the are modified.  Myself and another member of my lug are looking at buying some more for use at Brickworld Chicago.  If he does not have a particular modified switch AVALIABLE on his Bricklink store, just message him.  The crossover I wanted he did not have in stock.  After contacting him, he had it made within 24hrs and was ready to ship.  The nice thing is, I think he has done it so much, he is very proficient at the mods.  Check out his splas pages on Bricklink for more info.

Sal

On Sunday, January 14, 2018 at 9:02 AM, pirzyk said:

Not the white ones by chance? :)

No, they were definitely modified TLG switches.

On Sunday, January 14, 2018 at 12:31 PM, legoman666 said:

I've moved the throw to the other side on a handful of switches. It's a pain.

Any tips you can share?

22 hours ago, legoboy3998 said:

@legoman666, that is why I let someone else do the modifying and just by them off Bricklink.  I have bought a custom crossover from Sanders' Bricks on Bricklink.  He does great work.  I posted pictures in another switch mod post a few days ago on here.  They are great quality and you have to look very close to see the are modified.  Myself and another member of my lug are looking at buying some more for use at Brickworld Chicago.  If he does not have a particular modified switch AVALIABLE on his Bricklink store, just message him.  The crossover I wanted he did not have in stock.  After contacting him, he had it made within 24hrs and was ready to ship.  The nice thing is, I think he has done it so much, he is very proficient at the mods.  Check out his splas pages on Bricklink for more info.

Sal

Thank you for the resource! I will check it out. Not sure if he will share his methods since I am not interested in purchasing, but learning. I'll reach out and see!

Hello alias ALKO

At which rail turnaround conversion did you think? Do you mean something like that ??

An welchen Weichen Umbau hast du gedacht?? Meinst du so etwas??

My problem is not to modify the railroad tracks. My problem is my bad english do you have a translator ??

Mein Problem ist nicht die Eisenbahnschienen zu modifizieren. Mein Problem ist mein schlechtes Englisch hast du einen Übersetzer??

mfg  Udo

Hey Udo! Du kannst hier gerne was auf Deutsch posten, ich übersetze dann falls du willst ;)

Hey Udo! You can post something in German if you like, I will translate it for you ;)