kbalage

Best way to create rc mod instructions

Hi folks! First of all please move/merge this topic if there was already something similar discussed, I did not find anything and it's too technical for the Technic pub I think :) 

I'm struggling a bit to find the most straightforward way to create instructions for my RC mods. I'm sure you know that creating proper instructions can take way more time than modding a set or creating a moc that's why most people does not spend their precious time on instructions... I'm really willing to share what I'm doing but I'm still looking to find a well balanced method what is reasonably fast to do but also consumable for non-EB members as well. RC mods are particularly tricky because I only change certain parts of the set so it seems to be counterproductive to create a full instruction set from A to Z. Here are the options I found so far with pros/cons:

- Digital 3d file with building steps.
   Pros - all steps can be checked and the model can be fully observed in 3d.
   Cons - most people are not familiar with LDD and other applications, needs full model to be built in 3d, new sets might have parts missing in the application

- Full building instruction set generated from digital 3d file
  Pros - most detailed and can be understood/used by anyone
  Cons - very time consuming to make

- Step-by-step assembly video 
  Pros - reasonably quick to make, can be used by anyone
  Cons - not everyone likes to play/pause the videos, lots of unnecessary steps needs to be added from the original instructions

- Video about partial disassembly and showing how to add RC components
  Pros - possibly the quickest to make
  Cons - needs to have the set assembled first,  might not be the easiest to follow

I came up with these options, what is your view? What would be the best way to do it, is there anything else I missed?

I think the most useful for a (new) builder is either:

1. I have it built, now want to modify. So what disassembly steps then new steps are needed (i.e. your last one).

2. I don't have it built, but want to build it incorporating your mods. What do I need to change during the normal steps?

As you say, the first one may well be easier/quicker than the second, but it depends a bit on the model.

In terms of format, video is possibly quickest to make if it can be done in one sitting, but I think photos are maybe easier to build from, particularly to newcomers.

On top of this if you have the LDD available as well, then that's a bonus - it's particularly useful for more experienced builders who may wish to alter based on part availability, or to improve things (e.g. 42056 showed multiple people working on improving various aspects, and at least from outside it looks like there was quite some collaboration in the end?) - but I don't think the LDD is much use to most newer builders.

Since you are talking about just for your RC mods. I think the partial disassembly video method would be about the best option for you. Saves you time while still getting it out there quickly. Even though I am not really a fan of continuous pausing I think it would be acceptable, depending of course on the complexity of the mod. Ultimately I am a fan of full building instructions and really appreciate the time that goes into them. 

2 minutes ago, Johnny1360 said:

Since you are talking about just for your RC mods. I think the partial disassembly video method would be about the best option for you. Saves you time while still getting it out there quickly. Even though I am not really a fan of continuous pausing I think it would be acceptable, depending of course on the complexity of the mod. Ultimately I am a fan of full building instructions and really appreciate the time that goes into them. 

+1

Many models have a digital build available - there's a topic with a list of them on Eurobricks. You can use those as a starting point, show the disassembly and then show the installation of new parts. 

I think the choice between PDF instructions (photo or LPub) and video instructions will come down to what you're more comfortable doing. Both will be time consuming if you want them to look good. 

1 minute ago, BusterHaus said:

I think the choice between PDF instructions (photo or LPub[3d]) and video instructions will come down to what you're more comfortable doing. Both will be time consuming if you want them to look good. 

+1

1 minute ago, Lipko said:

Why not a photo sequence? Almost the same as a video.

That is very good idea; @kbalage as I work with vareus computer equipment, photo sequence is much better controlable on portable machines and slower / older comouters and even I would rathet spent 1000€ on LEGO Technic than on computer that will be in 3 years to slow anyway...

3 hours ago, Lipko said:

Why not a photo sequence? Almost the same as a video.

+1

Just disassemble, and take photos. This way even the buildability sequence can be set, and in the end You will have proper instructions (like Madoca, and KevinMoo does). I believe this is the most efficient way.

Thanks guys for your valuable input! I did not consider the photo sequence as the last instructions I created for the Star Wars motors had like ~400 steps and I thought it's a pain to go through that amount of images (and a couple of hundred MBytes to download), that's why I compiled them into a video and shared that way. But for the RC mod it might be significantly less steps, so I'll give it a try. I'm more comfortable with photos/videos than the 3d instructions, it's not about the building part but for some reason could not figure out how to use LPub properly. My motorized C model based on Yoshiny's mod for 42029 is still sitting in a computer folder for like a year now...

Historically, for the Lego sets that Lego gives the option of motorising, they make you build the entire model first, then give further instructions from there.  Sometimes this involves back-tracking and removing a few pieces before adding the Lego motor/s.  However, Lego has also planned for this, so the number of extra steps to motorise the model is usually kept to a minimum.

If you are adding RC to an existing set that was never planned (by Lego) to be motorised, I can imagine that there might be times that the number of steps to remove pieces could be removing more half of the model, and in that case it might be easier/quicker to just give instructions to build the whole model from the beginning with RC.

I guess what I am trying to say is that you might have to look at each model individually and decide which approach makes the most sense.

Keep your target audience in mind too.  If you are creating instructions for AFOLs, then they can be a little more terse.  If you are creating instructions for the lowest common denominator (kids 7+), then you will have to 'spell' the instructions out a bit more so they are easy to understand.  If you are doing a photo sequence, you may have to edit the photos to add arrows, axle/liftarm lengths, etc.

@Splat I'm willing to add RC to a set where it is not planned originially by Lego, e.g. I just did it for the 42077 B model. The aim is to use minimal amount of extra parts (apart from the PF components of course). The target audience is general, I had AFOLs and kids building my previous mocs so I'm trying to keep things as detailed as possible. I'll create a photo sequence for now and I'll have a look again to LPub to see and compare the effort needed for digital instructions.

Based on the ideas and feedback I decided to create an image sequence. The challenge was to organize the 200+ images per option in a way that they can be aligned to the original instructions so I don't have to reproduce all the steps which were unchanged. I wanted to set up a workflow that works for me and can be used for future RC mods with multiple options and still easier to use than my previous video instructions. If you have a moment I'd be glad to have some feedback on it:

http://racingbrick.com/2018/01/lego-technic-42077-buggy-b-model-rc-mod-building-instructions/

Looks great! Not sure if it's an error, but I clicked on the 2 L motor conversion, and the images look like it has the buggy motor instead. Maybe slideshows mixed up a bit?

The images for steps are excellent. I think the number you have is excellent for newcomers, and closely models what LEGO does. Maybe not ideal for an experienced builder, but that's not who you're targetting I think (a more experienced builder can always just click 3-4 images ahead anyway!)

Great work!

@JonathanM many thanks for checking it and for your feedback as well! It was an error indeed, I copied and then updated the content from one page to the other and forgot that the galleries have unique IDs so if I change it on one page it will be changed on the other one as well :) Recreated the galleries on the 2 L motor page, should be ok now.  You're right, the target audience also includes inexperienced builders.

Edited by kbalage