Anonknee Muss

Not enough CMF series a year? CMF Rota Discussion

How many CMF Series a year?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. How many series a year do you think we should have?

• 6+
  2. 2. What kind of regular to licensed ratio distribution would you like to see (3 Series a year)?

• Only regular series
    • 1:2 (what it is currently)
    • 2:1
    • Only licensed series
  3. 3. What kind of regular to licensed ratio distribution would you like to see (4 Series a year)?

• Only regular series
    • 1:3
    • 2:2
    • 3:1
    • Only licensed series
  4. 4. What kind of regular to licensed ratio distribution would you like to see (5 Series a year)?

• Only regular series
    • 1:4
    • 2:3
    • 3:2
    • 4:1
    • Only licensed series

I wanted to reach out and ask people's opinion on the current format of the CMF Series.

I also created this to discuss the series in a different way. I believed talking about the current rota in the other CMF threads would derail the threads.

So, I must ask what is your opinion?

Edited by J4ck

Interesting topic @J4ck.

However, I believe there is an error in your second question, as you've written that the current regular to licensed CMS ratio is 2 to 1. Both 2017 and 2018 have from what we know a 1 to 2 ratio in regular to licensed CMSs. 

I think 3 series per year is good enough. 

I'm ok with a licensed per year. 

But I still think the regular series are better mostly because they bring minifigures that LEGO wouldn't produce otherwise. Like the costumes (Hot Dog, Banana, Gorila, etc), mythological minifigures, fairytale characters, castle (especially now when castle has been absent for a few years), pirates, western, holiday minifigures, etc.... I mean we are still getting western and islanders minifigures thanks to the CMF line. How cool is that?

The licensed CMFs are limited to the fans of that franchise. And both Batman Movie and Simpsons S1 and S2 have been way too repetitive 

One licensed series per year is ok 

8 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

I think 3 series per year is good enough. 

I'm ok with a licensed per year. 

But I still think the regular series are better mostly because they bring minifigures that LEGO wouldn't produce otherwise. Like the costumes (Hot Dog, Banana, Gorila, etc), mythological minifigures, fairytale characters, castle (especially now when castle has been absent for a few years), pirates, western, holiday minifigures, etc.... I mean we are still getting western and islanders minifigures thanks to the CMF line. How cool is that?

The licensed CMFs are limited to the fans of that franchise. And both Batman Movie and Simpsons S1 and S2 have been way too repetitive 

One licensed series per year is ok 

^ Ditto to all of this:thumbup:

Three per year, one of which is based on a licensed property.

For other licensed properties, as Lego seem to be more open to making "people packs" (e.g. "Fun at the Park / Beach / Outdoors" in Lego City and the "Justice League" party set), I'd prefer for them to just make similar "people packs" IF a licensed property genuinely needs / warrants additional minifigures.

7 minutes ago, Agent 86 said:

For other licensed properties, as Lego seem to be more open to making "people packs" (e.g. "Fun at the Park / Beach / Outdoors" in Lego City and the "Justice League" party set), I'd prefer for them to just make similar "people packs" IF a licensed property genuinely needs / warrants additional minifigures.

Hmm, interesting idea.

It's funny, but I had never thought of the JL Anniversary set as a "people pack" before. I suppose the same can be said for Star Wars' Battle Packs/Army Builders.

I wouldn't mind upwards of four series a year, every once in a while. Definitely on the side of  one licensed series (or less) a year.

I'm starting to think that 4 per year might be a better option. There has definitely been a lot of focus put on licensed/movie themed CMF series lately, and I'm having trouble imagining that changing anytime soon, considering the supposed Harry Potter series later this year, the demand for another Disney series, and 2019 having two theatrical Lego movies being scheduled for release, both of which will presumably get their own CMF series.  An extra series per year may be needed to balance things out.

Edited by spiderfan2000

8 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Interesting topic @J4ck.

However, I believe there is an error in your second question, as you've written that the current regular to licensed CMS ratio is 2 to 1. Both 2017 and 2018 have from what we know a 1 to 2 ratio in regular to licensed CMSs. 

Oh yeah. Thanks for letting everyone know @Digger of Bricks. Is there a way to change it?

1 hour ago, spiderfan2000 said:

I'm starting to think that 4 per year might be a better option. There has definitely been a lot of focus put on licensed/movie themed CMF series lately, and I'm having trouble imagining that changing anytime soon, considering the supposed Harry Potter series later this year, the demand for another Disney series, and 2019 having two theatrical Lego movies being scheduled for release, both of which will presumably get their own CMF series.  An extra series per year may be needed to balance things out.

That's exactly what I was thinking, fans of the regular series can have two and be satisfied, and fans of the licensed series can have 2 and be satisfied.

8 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Interesting topic @J4ck.

I've changed it.

4 hours ago, J4ck said:

That's exactly what I was thinking, fans of the regular series can have two and be satisfied, and fans of the licensed series can have 2 and be satisfied.

It's a good, diplomatic solution, but I've always been under the impression that both designers and manufacturing factories can only handle three series a year.

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

It's a good, diplomatic solution, but I've always been under the impression that both designers and manufacturing factories can only handle three series a year.

That's probably also true for stores. Otherwise there could well be 5-6 series hanging about on shelves at any one time.

22 minutes ago, MAB said:

That's probably also true for stores. Otherwise there could well be 5-6 series hanging about on shelves at any one time.

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I've thought it was because people just don't have the money for a series every 3 months. The target market is kids after all, they probably don't have money for more series per year.

40 minutes ago, MAB said:

17 minutes ago, J4ck said:

I've thought it was because people just don't have the money for a series every 3 months. The target market is kids after all, they probably don't have money for more series per year.

These two are both quite plausible also.

The data says it, ideally for us adults, 4 series a year would provide a nice balance between regular (for the people that love the classic series) and gives Lego the opportunity to experiment with licensed series (which people like but not too much of). Lego probably won't do this as children are the main target market and don't have enough money for 4 series a year.

34 minutes ago, J4ck said:

The data says it, ideally for us adults, 4 series a year would provide a nice balance between regular (for the people that love the classic series) and gives Lego the opportunity to experiment with licensed series (which people like but not too much of). Lego probably won't do this as children are the main target market and don't have enough money for 4 series a year.

Agree. A Licensed/Regular/Licensed/Regular line-up would work for me

They could do that over a three series a year repeating pattern too.

Year 1: Licensed/Regular/Licensed

Year 2: Regular/Licensed/Regular

Goto Year 1.

5 minutes ago, MAB said:

Goto Year 1.

That's a really awesome idea!

10 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Agree. A Licensed/Regular/Licensed/Regular line-up would work for me

It would probably work for the vast majority of people.

Thats an interesting poll. I was surprised to see that most others prefer the 3 series in a year which I believe is plenty. The poll numbers are low currently but the general consensus seems to want more regular series over the licensed which has come up in many a discussion here. I personally like the decrease in the standard CMF line. The characters seem to be more thought out in recent years.

4 hours ago, 22kane said:

Thats an interesting poll. I was surprised to see that most others prefer the 3 series in a year which I believe is plenty. The poll numbers are low currently but the general consensus seems to want more regular series over the licensed which has come up in many a discussion here. I personally like the decrease in the standard CMF line. The characters seem to be more thought out in recent years.

Thinking about it in retrospect, I voted for 4 series a year however, I can just about manage 3 series a year. So I agree with you that we shouldn't have any more series per year maybe?

The crazy unhinged Lego fan part of me says there could never be enough CMF!!! But then the rational and realistic thinking side says thats crazy-talk and its at a good balance where it is now, 3 or 4 per year (see the crazy side put that '4' in there). Plus sometimes we get lucky and get a free minifigure pack (with purchase of 'x') like the excellent cave-people pack or seasonal promotions that are basically a previous CMF with a slight change. 

7 hours ago, koalayummies said:

The crazy unhinged Lego fan part of me says there could never be enough CMF!!! But then the rational and realistic thinking side says thats crazy-talk and its at a good balance where it is now, 3 or 4 per year (see the crazy side put that '4' in there). Plus sometimes we get lucky and get a free minifigure pack (with purchase of 'x') like the excellent cave-people pack or seasonal promotions that are basically a previous CMF with a slight change. 

That's a good thought but me personally I don't think the Minifigure pack should be counted towards CMF.

On 15/1/2018 at 10:35 AM, MAB said:

Goto Year 1.

So "Basic" :D

I was fine with three but the licensed themes started appearing more and more frequently and the CMF appeal has reduced as a result. The great thing about regular series was that they always used to provide us with new moulds and accessories (musical instruments, sports equipment, tools, weapons, animals, etc). However, with licensed figures most of the focus is on the figure with fewer moulds or useful 'everyday' items.

On January 16, 2018 at 12:37 AM, J4ck said:

That's a good thought but me personally I don't think the Minifigure pack should be counted towards CMF.

I didn't say that they should be or are counted towards CMF. I said some of the free-with-purchase characters are often very close to figures in the CMF line (bunny suit guy, caveman/woman, chicken suit guy) and that those free minifigures are just a nice bonus to the current distribution of actual CMF sets per year. 

Summary: 3 CMF series per year is good. Fans of minifigures sometimes also get lucky with the occasional free-with-purchase figures throughout a year. 

On 1/15/2018 at 4:35 AM, MAB said:

Goto Year 1.

That sounds awful.  Half of the time, anyways...