Anonknee Muss

Not enough CMF series a year? CMF Rota Discussion

How many CMF Series a year?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. How many series a year do you think we should have?

• 6+
  2. 2. What kind of regular to licensed ratio distribution would you like to see (3 Series a year)?

• Only regular series
    • 1:2 (what it is currently)
    • 2:1
    • Only licensed series
  3. 3. What kind of regular to licensed ratio distribution would you like to see (4 Series a year)?

• Only regular series
    • 1:3
    • 2:2
    • 3:1
    • Only licensed series
  4. 4. What kind of regular to licensed ratio distribution would you like to see (5 Series a year)?

• Only regular series
    • 1:4
    • 2:3
    • 3:2
    • 4:1
    • Only licensed series

9 hours ago, MAB said:

There is also an astronaut in Series 1.

That's not an astronaut. That's a Sci-fi Spaceman

6 hours ago, koalayummies said:

The repetition you speak of in the regular non-licensed series CMF (that has been going on for 8 years) is also present in the licensed themes and the repetition and frequency is even more offensive. Numerous repeat characters with slight variation and of limited use in the same series and repeat series in one year, so the diversity of characters isn't exactly there, they had to grab at straws to make Batman happen by pulling out sexual assaulter and prostitute characters from somewhat obscure batman material, in addition to the half a dozen variations of batman himself. 

Batman CMF: 6 bat mans (bat caveman, inflatable duck ring batman, rock star batman, lobster batman, construction bat cat man, pink fairy batman), Harley quinn, joker, Robin,

Batman CMF 2: dolphin batman, mermaid batman, batman fanclub, harley quinn again, joker again, Robin again

Ninjago: Lloyd the ninja, Lloyd the kid eating cereal, Garmadon evil, Garmadon flashback, Garmadon pajamas...

If they come up with an updated pirate or classic knight its not as bad as if they made outer space batman or pirate batman or classic knight batman or batman taking a dump or batman performing a field sobriety test or Tour de France Batman. I can't wait for Lloyd doing laundry and Lloyd parties too hard and rehab Garmadon, Olympic Garmadon, garbage man Garmadon...

To be fair, the Batman waves are mostly just doing that because A. It's kind of a running gag in the movie and B. nearly every other character was already put into a set. Lego's just learning that Batman isn't the only thing that sells, though, so that's likely to change. We're never going to escape the "every licensed wave must have some representation from the main characters" thing, but in most themes - particularly ones Lego doesn't have a finger in from inception - there are desirable variants to be had. Simpsons S2 had to have Bart, so they gave us the far more desirable and iconic Bartman. The Harry Potter wave has to give us Harry, Ron, and Hermione, but we're getting them in proper robes - something that's been sorely missed by fans in the main sets. 

The normal CMF line isn't restricted in that sense. None of those figures are required to be there for the sake of marketing. If Robert8 can design 11 wonderfully creative waves of non-licensed figures with so little repetition in his spare time, I don't think it's too much to ask for the designers who are paid to design them to do the same. Spacing out the time between those releases could give them enough room to hone in on and work out the fresh ideas and keep the repeats to a minimum. 

4 minutes ago, Numbuh1Nerd said:

Spacing out the time between those releases could give them enough room to hone in on and work out the fresh ideas and keep the repeats to a minimum. 

If only one "regular" series a year, as opposed to three a year, can insure much more well thought out designs and less archetype repetition, then I guess that would be most definitely justified.

10 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

The thing is about the concept of comic based DC or Marvel CMS lines, is that Lego manages to stick any sort of variant of a particular character into whatever set scenario they wish anyway. Unlike movie based sets, comic based ones don't necessarily need to be based upon a particular scenario presented in the graphic novel or comic saga which that version of the character was presented in.

Hmm, that's an interesting approach. :smug:

The costume variation in superhero stuff is painfully limited in terms of adapted designs. Outside of movie-based sets, we've had exactly zero Superman variants that were more significant than a different cape material or facial print. Even Batman's had very few costumes pulled from other sources in your average set. Excluding simple color swaps and movie-based sets, we've gotten the Beware the Batman costume, the New 52 costume, and the Rebirth costume. The odds of Lego using the likes of Flashpoint Joker or Electric Superman or Parallax Green Lantern in an actual set is slim to none, because all of those costumes aren't recognizable on average. The CMF line needs a Batman, but it doesn't care if that Batman is as simple as the Brave and the Bold suit or as drastic as the Red Son suit. Some of the most sought after versions of these characters are too unrecognizable to sell a set.

1 hour ago, Numbuh1Nerd said:

To be fair, the Batman waves are mostly just doing that because A. It's kind of a running gag in the movie and B. nearly every other character was already put into a set. Lego's just learning that Batman isn't the only thing that sells, though, so that's likely to change. We're never going to escape the "every licensed wave must have some representation from the main characters" thing, but in most themes - particularly ones Lego doesn't have a finger in from inception - there are desirable variants to be had. Simpsons S2 had to have Bart, so they gave us the far more desirable and iconic Bartman. The Harry Potter wave has to give us Harry, Ron, and Hermione, but we're getting them in proper robes - something that's been sorely missed by fans in the main sets. 

The normal CMF line isn't restricted in that sense. None of those figures are required to be there for the sake of marketing. If Robert8 can design 11 wonderfully creative waves of non-licensed figures with so little repetition in his spare time, I don't think it's too much to ask for the designers who are paid to design them to do the same. Spacing out the time between those releases could give them enough room to hone in on and work out the fresh ideas and keep the repeats to a minimum. 

Excellent points (and to be perfectly honest I don't mind all the variations of Batman or Garmadon etc, they're pretty fun and have given us some new parts and prints). And I completely agree on the second part, Roberts designs are fantastic and seemingly endless. There shouldn't be much of an issue to come up with fresh designs and characters like that, I'd like to see nearly all of his ideas in real plastic. 

12 hours ago, Robert8 said:

That's not an astronaut. That's a Sci-fi Spaceman

Really? Take away the ray-gun and he looks like a regular astronaut, especially compared to the more sci-fi style retro spaceman.

As to repeats, I quite like getting variations. Unless there is a specific uniform for a job and everyone dresses the same, repeats can be useful. It is good to have cowboys in different clothes, different mechanics, multiple zombies, etc. It looks much more natural if you use them to populate a city rather than just keeping them as a collectable.

3 hours ago, MAB said:

Really? Take away the ray-gun and he looks like a regular astronaut, especially compared to the more sci-fi style retro spaceman.

Technically, he was supposed to be a modern retake on a Classic Spaceman (you know, these guys), only with an added retro raygun to compound his standing as a Sci-Fi archetype, differentiating him from a more realistic astronaut archetype.

On 1/11/2018 at 11:41 PM, Robert8 said:

But I still think the regular series are better mostly because they bring minifigures that LEGO wouldn't produce otherwise. Like the costumes (Hot Dog, Banana, Gorila, etc), mythological minifigures, fairytale characters, castle (especially now when castle has been absent for a few years), pirates, western, holiday minifigures, etc.... I mean we are still getting western and islanders minifigures thanks to the CMF line. How cool is that?

The licensed CMFs are limited to the fans of that franchise. And both Batman Movie and Simpsons S1 and S2 have been way too repetitive

Everything you've said there perfectly reflects why I love the CMF line. As a long time fan of mythology, I love how I can have "not Poseidon" and "not Athena" as Lego figures, standing along side a minotaur, gorgon and a "warrior angel" figure. I love the Egyptian and Turkish Warrior we've gotten recently as I know we'd never get anything like them in a main line set. On the other hand, lines like Simpsons, Batman, Disney and Harry Potter only work if you're a fan of any of them. Outside of Maleficent, who I changed into a sorceress figure and some of the Z-list villains and heroes from the two Batman waves (when would we have ever gotten the Wonder Twins in a Lego set?), I feel all of the licenses have been a waste and frankly lack the creativity I feel the regular waves were swimming in. Even a weak wave still had some figures that interested me.

36 minutes ago, pawcanada said:

Everything you've said there perfectly reflects why I love the CMF line. As a long time fan of mythology, I love how I can have "not Poseidon" and "not Athena" as Lego figures, standing along side a minotaur, gorgon and a "warrior angel" figure. I love the Egyptian and Turkish Warrior we've gotten recently as I know we'd never get anything like them in a main line set. On the other hand, lines like Simpsons, Batman, Disney and Harry Potter only work if you're a fan of any of them. Outside of Maleficent, who I changed into a sorceress figure and some of the Z-list villains and heroes from the two Batman waves (when would we have ever gotten the Wonder Twins in a Lego set?), I feel all of the licenses have been a waste and frankly lack the creativity I feel the regular waves were swimming in. Even a weak wave still had some figures that interested me.

I found The Simpsons were useful for parts, but not so much with Batman and Disney. For example, most of the torso and legs are essentially non-licensed, in that you wouldn't necessarily think of the character if s/he didn't have the head. I'm hoping many of the HP CMF will be the same. Outside of the school uniform characters, the torsos, legs and heads might be very useful. For example, last time around I bought a load of Forbidden Forest at a discount, the parts were great for historic builds anyway, but the minifigures were also useful.  Hagrid and Harry are both too licensed for all their parts, whereas Voldemort and Narcissa have useful hair, heads, torsos and legs that when apart are generic enough not to be the character. 

With the release of the UniKitty "CMF" series right around the corner, do you think Lego is testing the waters with 4 series a year and if so, do you think it's possible Lego will try 4 series next year?

I think I am in a minority here, but I feel like three CMF series per year is more than enough - I would rather only have two. One licensed, one regular, done.

1 hour ago, J4ck said:

With the release of the UniKitty "CMF" series right around the corner, do you think Lego is testing the waters with 4 series a year and if so, do you think it's possible Lego will try 4 series next year?

Nope.

I think they are trying something new to take a Mixels-like slot in their overall scheme.  They are using one of their media franchises and combining it with the Mixels small bagged theme concept, and then wrapping it up with the blind bag concept.  Pretty far from another CMF in my opinion.

Yeah, I also don't see it as a CMF series. It may be sold in a similar way - as pocket money toys - but I don't think they need to test the waters for more CMF series. If they want to do 4 series, they will do 4 series. They already have (limited area) sales data for four series when they did Team GB and DFB. Of course, it could be said that they were special one off series and not real CMF, but that is just like Unikitty - not a real CMF series.

Do you think one of the reasons Mixels died was because children didn't have enough money for both Mixels and CMFs so they favoured CMFs? And if so, do you reckon the UniKitty blind bags are doomed?

18 hours ago, J4ck said:

Well, like @x105Black and @MAB, I don't think the UniKitty blind bag series counts as a CMS either. Now, maybe you're suggesting that the UniKitty series is a sort of protoform for a fourth series, if you will? :shrug_confused:

Unikitty isn't a CMF, but it's pretty much the same product. Collectible blind bags at $4

1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

Unikitty isn't a CMF, but it's pretty much the same product. Collectible blind bags at $4

I know they're not CMFs but:

1) It's easier to explain.

2) Brickset has tagged them as CMFs and placed them under the CMF theme.

10 hours ago, J4ck said:

Do you think one of the reasons Mixels died was because children didn't have enough money for both Mixels and CMFs so they favoured CMFs? And if so, do you reckon the UniKitty blind bags are doomed?

Did Mixels actually die. Or just come to the end of the natural product cycle?

I think the Unikitty bags will end at some stage. I guess how long they last partly depends on the success of the TV show.

3 hours ago, MAB said:

Did Mixels actually die. Or just come to the end of the natural product cycle?

Splitting hairs.  Murder vs natural death, both are deaths.

This designer interview is definitely of relevance to this discussion topic, especially this snippit:

New Elementary - LEGO® MINIFIGURES INTERVIEW: TARA WIKE & AUSTIN CARLSON

And when it comes to numbers of series, do you do three a year, or four a year…?

Tara: That’s been the tradition. Internally, we have different milestones where we are proposing concepts, and quite often we’ll come up with “what if we did six different series” or “what if we did something only in this one country” or whatever. The way that it’s shaken out for the last few years has worked out to about three series, but that’s never guaranteed. It could be more, it could be less. Every year, we have to kind of make our pitch internally and see what comes our way.

That was a pretty good interview. I especially liked them touching on what they can and can't do with a figure and still have it count as a minifigure. Six series would probably be excessive (even for me), but one for every season could be nice. The region-locked series I'm less keen on, but they've been done pretty sparingly.