VBBN

[PRESS RELEASE] 21313 LEGO Ideas: Ship in a Bottle

Thats sweet the 60th Anniversary ship fits inside @Bricked1980, I'm sure there will be some sweet mods with various builds put inside. 

Here's some pics and build notes. It a lot of fun to build including the bottle and base, SNOT galore. The ship may not be to everyone's liking in regards to the size or in comparison to the original submission but it has a great amount of snot-building and is a very attractive ship. The pictures with the ship inside the bottle just don't do it a lot of justice and in-person without the bottle-glare and the ability to move to avoid the transparent connection obstructions, it looks a lot better. 

The bottle is close in scale to a typical liquor/rum bottle. Though the original submission is absolutely fantastic its very clear that they went with the smaller bottle size for the overall display of the set. This is one set that is actually classy to display as opposed to something like a Modular building or large Technic set where visitors might ask why as an adult do you have dollhouses or remote controlled cars. :tongue:

Transparent to transparent connections: anyone who's done MOCing will likely know this type of connection offers a greater deal of resistance and sometimes Kragle-like clutch power compared to non-transparent piece connections. Some of the connections of the numerous transparent clear pieces also required above-normal levels of force for full connection. I'm sure they'll be fun removing them later if anyone chooses to. 

There's no connection of the bottle to the base but due to fraction of a stud projection of four 1x1 plates it is cleverly prevented from sliding around and remains perfectly centered on the stand.

And some pictures. The bottom of the bottle is almost like looking at a snowflake under magnification:

40035433561_28434241cd_c.jpg

Ship, Dark Orange, Reddish Brown and Brick Yellow :wub::

40035433601_88daf173c0_c.jpg

An interesting perspective to build in for a few steps:

40035433621_2c99a0cbcb_c.jpg

One of the greatest instruction steps ever!!!!! :laugh: :grin:

40035433641_6d3b0f6138_c.jpg

Argh! The crew of the Skull's Eye Schooner is looking to board!

40035433661_eb607280db_c.jpg

Of all the Ideas sets I've gotten the current standing is:

1. Ship in a Bottle (if I had Saturn V it would probably take 1st or 2nd)

2. Women of Nasa

3. Ghostbusters Ecto-1 

4. Old Fishing Store.

Edited by koalayummies

Thanks a lot @koalayummies for the great mini review. I was on the fence about getting this set but having seen some of the reviews online I may just have to get it. 

I actually like the ship in the final version of this set. It might be smaller than the original Ideas submission but I appreciate the fact they had to scale it down to fit inside the smaller bottle. And the bottle does look much more realistic and in scale with a real wine bottle compared to the designers original Ideas model which was too big in my opinion.

The photo of the set next to Skulls Eye Schooner is great and gives a good idea of the size of this set.

Edited by Bricked1980

Yeah its a good size. But what else can fit?

Taxicab in a bottle complete with road surface:

40015053042_98ff6b0a10_c.jpg

Sears Tower in a bottle:

40015053082_f93189c2c2_z.jpg

"Hot Noodle Dog" cart in a bottle:

40015053112_eed2d30a94_c.jpg

And finally bunny with tree in a bottle:

40015053142_bc8f5462b1_z.jpg

Things that did not fit: Women of Nasa (can get 2/3 of the dioramas), Ideas Ghostbusters car (almost, required too much roof-contraption removal), Architecture White House, Ninjago City.

Unanswered questions: how many subsequently smaller moc ships in smaller bottles can be fit inside? 

So I can see this being an ongoing thread...."what have you managed to squeeze/imprison inside the bottle"? 

I can see me giving into temptation next week, my 7yo already asked several times this evening "are we getting it?".

Oh and who came up with precisely 284 1x1s as the ideal number? :laugh:

Gnaj reviewed the Ship “on” a Bottle! It’s the best LEGO’s Ideal set ever IMO :head_back: Check it out if you can’t decide if you want to buy it or not... 

11 hours ago, koalayummies said:

Yeah its a good size. But what else can fit?

That’s a great idea to make fit other things! My favorite is the Taxicab in a Bottle...

9 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

Jang reviewed the Ship in a Bottle too...

Just watched the review. This really does make the set look great. From looking at photos online I had assumed it might be tricky to actually see the ship clearly as a result of all the joints and seams in the bottle pieces. Luckily that is not the case at all though and it looks brilliant.

Jang raises a pretty good point in his review. The wax seal on the bottle has the initials of the lego designer who worked on the set and not the original fan who came up with the idea.

In my opinion it would have been better to use the fan's initials. The final set does differ quite a lot from his original design, but then the set wouldn't exist in the first place if it wasn't for him.

9 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

The wax seal on the bottle has the initials of the lego designer who worked on the set and not the original fan who came up with the idea.

In my opinion it would have been better to use the fan's initials. The final set does differ quite a lot from his original design, but then the set wouldn't exist in the first place if it wasn't for him.

Agreed, this is a Lego “Ideas” set. The Lego designer changed quite a lot the model and I prefer the final model than the fan model but it’s after all the idea of the fan designer...  

Jang also made a review with the 60th Anniversary Black Seas Barracuda ship in the bottle:

6 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

Thought people might like to see this...

http://www.brickfanatics.co.uk/lego-ideas-21313-ship-in-a-bottle-skulls-eye-schooner/

Skulls Eye Schooner gets the Ship in a Bottle treatment!

Dang thats a very nice micro build until image 'item' 16 and 18 which are illegal builds. 4274 connector peg w/knob into the bottom of a brick like that doesn't go into 'click'/always in compression. 

Mini-SES-35.jpg

So my copy of the set arrived today, and after a some fiddling I managed to fit the mini Black Seas Barracuda that I cobbled together on bricklink from the 60th Anniversary set instructions into the bottle with the flags at the top of the masts intact. Good news is I made the thing fit with only a bit of modification to make the masts a tiny bit shorter and it still looks great! Bad news is the ship still barely fits and with the way the bottle is constructed I doubt I'll be able to get the ship out again. All in all I can say I'm very happy with this set and I look forward to displaying it in my living room.