VBBN

[PRESS RELEASE] 21313 LEGO Ideas: Ship in a Bottle

The original designer could get a taller ship in because he took advantage of the diagonal height of the bottle; making the bottle rest on its edge in the stand. 

Lego has chosen to rest the bottle flat on the stand, thereby cramping the available height for the ship - thus restricting what their designers can come up with in that space.

That's just my take on it - don't really know or not if the original model was unstable enough to cause Lego to go with this revised take on the design

Yes, it's smaller than the original submission, but aside from the ship itself I am more fond of the overall presentation of the official set.  If I were to buy it, I would likely try to modify it to sit diagonally to fit a slightly larger ship, but I'm not quite interested enough in the project to commit to the purchase.

4 hours ago, DennisW said:

The original designer could get a taller ship in because he took advantage of the diagonal height of the bottle; making the bottle rest on its edge in the stand. 

Lego has chosen to rest the bottle flat on the stand, thereby cramping the available height for the ship - thus restricting what their designers can come up with in that space.

That's just my take on it - don't really know or not if the original model was unstable enough to cause Lego to go with this revised take on the design

This has been mentioned a couple times about it but its not just the tilt. The walls of the submission bottle are 10 studs between the rounded edge pieces, official set is 4 studs between the rounded edges. So the original submission bottle is 150% larger and utilized the tilt. The original probably looked a bit like a ship in a gallon milk carton in person. They went with a more realistically sized and scaled bottle and thus overall display piece over a bottle that had to be made out of scale in order to accommodate a ship of certain size and detail. I'm confident it looks just fine in person. 

The focus of the original set was the ship and displaying the ship - any additional aspects such as the stand were themed like a Pirate ship.
The focus of the new set is the bottle and the realistic nature of the stand

I prefer the original designer's version - the ship would have been an instance buy, the bottle was also supported on what looked to be an absolutely amazing segment of a ship with a cannon. This would have easily been something i would have brought or brick-linked tons of in order to make a ship using this as a basis for the upper deck.

2715692-o_1b0k2da9jaom1c0ktiv1imu1ctq12-

Was it common for ships to have this level of decoration on their sails?

Edited by Owad
typo

On 1/11/2018 at 10:09 AM, anatem said:

Overall I'd be surprised if the original designer isn't disappointed.

Thats exactly what I thought when I saw it. I think it's a great set and I'll be getting one. With that said I do feel bad for the designer of the original "Idea". The designer goes to a Lego store closest to where they live and autographs sets on the day of release. He's signing a set that was drastically changed and he had absolutely no say in it. It's not a bad design at all, it just doesn't look like the one he (Jake Sadovich) designed. I know if I built something really different and it was voted to be an official set then completely re-designed, I would be totally bummed.

I'd say it's comparable, and I would still be proud that my efforts resulted in an official LEGO set based on my idea.

9 hours ago, 22kane said:

[...] He's signing a set that was drastically changed and he had absolutely no say in it. [...]

I'm not sure if the designer did not have any say in it. If I'm correct, the designers are usually always consulted by the Lego-designer that transforms the Idea into a real set.

Aside from that: if you enter a set on Ideas, you adhere to the rules of Ideas, in which it is stated: "The LEGO Group makes all final decisions on how a project becomes a LEGO set, including the final model design"So: you know that your design can be altered to make it a set Lego can make and market.

Although I do understand the criticism of this set, I think Lego has done their best to produce a set that's not way too expensive. A set more closely to the size of the original idea would have cost in excess of a 100 euro/dollar/pound and I honestly believe that they simply would not be able to sell enough of them to make it profitable.

11 hours ago, jfbat said:

Although I do understand the criticism of this set, I think Lego has done their best to produce a set that's not way too expensive. A set more closely to the size of the original idea would have cost in excess of a 100 euro/dollar/pound and I honestly believe that they simply would not be able to sell enough of them to make it profitable.

I'm not disagreeing with that and I know changes need to be made to be more cost effective, i.e- The Fishing Store. I think the set is great, I just felt bad for the designer because it turned into a "based on..." set more than anything. I do like the way Lego redesigned the base too.

11 hours ago, jfbat said:

I'm not sure if the designer did not have any say in it. If I'm correct, the designers are usually always consulted by the Lego-designer that transforms the Idea into a real set.

I'm not aware of how the entire process works so maybe you're right and he knew all the changes that would take place.

I like the concept, it's a great display set that might attract people who are not aware of all the designs/sets that Lego is creating these days

The bottle is way better than the original, so that's a good thing. I like the transparant parts a lot. I hope I'll see those in good quantities, condition and price on bricklink, this year and the next. 

The price is not so good and the reason why I'm not getting the set 

Its a unique enough item that I'm planning on getting one, and has enough interesting pieces that I might get 2. But, even though it has a price per part of 7 cents, since 280 of those parts are just 1x1 rounds it actually seems a little pricey. I'd have felt it was a better price at about 59.99.

I am somewhat disappointed. Nice job with the bottle and display, but they butchered the ship. :-(  

It bears no resemblance to the original slender, masted, creation. 

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/eca1b08b-1b29-46a6-97a1-9b2580e1dce2

Hopefully someone will come up with modified version of the ship so those so inclined can try to reproduce something closer to the original. Will it fit inside this new bottle though?  Probably not.  I guess that's the source of the whole problem. 

I look forward to the Ideas sets, and I may still buy this, but it's not on my "must buy" list like the last couple of sets. 

Designer video for the ship in a bottle released. What do you think about it guys?

Glad they started also to focus on the model than only the designers themselves with the new designer video format.

And here’s an interview with the fan designer:

Edited by LegoModularFan

Great videos and thanks for posting them here @LegoModularFan. Jake seems pleased with the final model and what the Lego designers said about the reasons for changing the bottle size was what a few had speculated. Only a few more days now.

Keep flip-flopping on this one. 

Love the concept, not quite the execution (unlike the Old Fishing Store which ticked both boxes)

Thought required to see if something else works in the bottle other than the polybag-esque ship.

Edited by Lucarex

When I first saw this on Lego Ideas, I loved it and voted for it. I would like to buy it as it looks unique and something different. But when it was finally released as Lego Ideas set, I was disappointed with it as it looked very different from the original idea. I would not buy it as it's overpriced in my opinion.

On 1/14/2018 at 1:54 PM, jfbat said:

Aside from that: if you enter a set on Ideas, you adhere to the rules of Ideas, in which it is stated: "The LEGO Group makes all final decisions on how a project becomes a LEGO set, including the final model design"So: you know that your design can be altered to make it a set Lego can make and market.

I am not too sure about that cost part.  Saturn V is costing more than 100 pounds and yet it's one of the most successful Lego Ideas set ever. (I heard on the vineyard that it is one of the most profitable Lego Ideas set as well).

Also at least half of Lego sets cost more than 100 pounds easily. I failed to see why Lego chose to "cheapen" this Lego Idea to be less than 100 pounds while Lego is happy to charge premium price on some other lego sets? Lego Idea Review board is sketchy at the most of time as I failed to see their "generic" explanations for several "non-approved" Lego Idea sets.  At least, there is a market for those "non-approved Lego Idea sets" anyway.

Edited by Diablo667

17 hours ago, Diablo667 said:

Also at least half of Lego sets cost more than 100 pounds easily.

Right now in the LEGO Shop website there are only 50 sets that cost 100 pounds or more... out of 600+ products.

I don't really care about the tinyfication of the ship in a bottle. I think the smaller, rounder bottle looks much better than the bigger, squarer one. Price still sucks (especially CAD), seeing as more than a fourth of the pieces are 1x1 blue studs. The original ships looks a hundred times better than the official LEGO set, though.

It's on sale early at shop.lego.com!  Just placed my order, and I got the free 60th anniversary set as well :classic:

3 hours ago, NathanR said:

It's on sale early at shop.lego.com!  Just placed my order, and I got the free 60th anniversary set as well :classic:

Argh! What land ye be in? Still showing as 'coming soon' for the US.

2 hours ago, koalayummies said:

Argh! What land ye be in? Still showing as 'coming soon' for the US.

I be off the edge of yer map... in France. Looks like Europe gets sets a bit early, I remember ordering the Ideas Saturn V a day before scheduled release.

5 hours ago, NathanR said:

I be off the edge of yer map... in France. Looks like Europe gets sets a bit early, I remember ordering the Ideas Saturn V a day before scheduled release.

Hahaha most excellent response! :laugh: 

If anyone is picking up the free 60th anniversary set with their purchase of ship in a bottle, you might like to know that the mini build of Black Seas Barracuda can fit nicely inside the bottle if you remove the flags from the top of the masts. Here's a video showing how it looks. Looks pretty impressive to me, possibly better than the main ship that the set comes with...

Edited by Bricked1980