VBBN

[PRESS RELEASE] 21313 LEGO Ideas: Ship in a Bottle

21313 LEGO Ideas: Ship in a Bottle

Ages 10+.  962 pieces.

US $69.99 - CA $89.99 - DE 69.99€ - UK £69.99 - DK 599.00 DKK

*Euro pricing varies by country.  Please visit shop.LEGO.com for regional pricing.

Create a timeless classic with LEGO® bricks!

Show you are a true craftsman when you create a Ship in a Bottle with LEGO® bricks! Build this beautiful ship named ‘Leviathan’, including the captain’s quarters, masts, crow’s nest, sails, flag and 6 cannons. Place it inside the brick-built bottle, featuring a buildable cork and wax seal. Then showcase your nostalgic, nautical creation on the display stand, complete with the ship’s nameplate and a compass with a spinning needle.

• Features a LEGO® brick-built bottle, ship and a display stand.

• Bottle features a detailed, buildable cork with NEW wax-seal-style element and over 280 translucent-blue, water-style elements inside.

• Ship features a raised deck at the stern, captain’s quarters, 6 cannons, 3 masts, a crow’s nest and assorted elements including printed sails and the ship’s flag.

• Display stand features the ship’s ‘Leviathan’ nameplate, a built-in ‘compass’ (non-functioning) with detailed compass rose and spinning gold-colored needle, 2 globe elements and gold-colored detailing.

• Includes a booklet with building instructions, plus information about the set’s fan creator and LEGO® designers.

• Bottle on stand measures over 3" (10cm) high, 12” (31cm) wide and 3” (10cm) deep.

• Ship measures over 3" (8cm) high, 5” (14cm) long and 1” (5cm) wide.

Available for sale directly through LEGO® beginning
February 1, 2018 via
shop.LEGO.com, LEGO® Stores or via phone:

US Contact Center                             1-800-453-4652
CA (English) Contact Center             1-800-453-4652
CA (French) Contact Center             1-877-518-5346
European Contact Center                  00-800-5346-1111            

LEGO, the LEGO logo and the Minifigure are trademarks of the LEGO Group. ©2018 The LEGO Group. All rights reserved.

21313_Ship_in_a_Bottle_Reveal_04.jpg

21313_Ship_in_a_Bottle_Reveal_08.jpg

21313_Ship_in_a_Bottle_Reveal_09.jpg

21313_Ship_in_a_Bottle_Reveal_03.jpg

21313_Ship_in_a_Bottle_Reveal_02.jpg

21313_Ship_in_a_Bottle_Reveal_10.jpg

Awesome! Been waiting for this to drop, looks like it'll be worth it! Lots of nice transparent parts, especially the massive curved ones, and the stand looks great. Also like the excellent detailing on the ship for the cannons, it's very well done.

Edited by Leonardo da Bricki

I think the original ship was more detailed while obviously the bottle was largest. I don't like this reduction.. It's a boat in a flask.

31 minutes ago, kevin8 said:

I think the original ship was more detailed while obviously the bottle was largest. I don't like this reduction.. It's a boat in a flask.

I really like the set and will likely pick it up, but I felt the same way about the ship reduction. It is much squattier than before.

This is really cool, I'm very excited. While I agree the ship looked nicer in the submission the bottle was also huge in comparison and the rigging and canons (were they the technic tube pieces cut down?) were probably an issue for the design team. The bottle is a lot more realistic in the official set and it doesn't look like too much work to build it more like the submission if one wants. Nevertheless I am certainly looking forward to it as its a fantastic and very attractive set and a really original idea. 

In the original Idea, the ship looked like a ship, I don't know what to call this brown blob :sceptic: but I think it looks awful!

The bottle is OK, though...

Edited by AndersI

Hard to determine whether this is a good price considering that a lot of them are trans blue round 1x1's.  Otherwise, it looks nice, but I will probably pass.  Still think they should have gone with the Tram.  

4 hours ago, kevin8 said:

Personally, I think the size reduction of bottle makes it look a whole lot cleaner, and I like how it turned out. But yes, in turn, the ship got shrunk as a result, and does seem to resemble a polybag build. :sceptic:

I'm mixed on my opinions on this one. 

First, the price-per-part ratio sounds good at first, but when you figure that 280 of those pieces are 1x1 trans light blue studs, then you are left with about 680 elements which makes more sense given the $70 price tag. So I mean the price is fair given what you get, but not as astronomically crazy as some people have been pointing out. (better deal than the Architecture sets though which rely on those smaller elements)

Compared to the original, I think that the ship looks far worse and less detailed due to the decrease in size and parts count, however I like the look of the bottle (and the stand) far more, so it's a tradeoff. 

With that said, I love the concept of this set, and I think that given the restraints Ideas sets sometimes have, this is a pretty good translation of the original MOC into a set-worthy design, and definitely something I plan to pick up eventually.

The bottle looks amazing, but they absolutely butchered the ship. I don't even understand why, 5 minutes of googling you can find great looking mini-ships that would fit here, so it's shocking the designers couldn't make a proper ship for the smaller size with a natural looking keel, masts and ropes. I was expecting a ship in a bottle, not a great bottle with a gross approximation of a ship inside.

Price a tad too high whatever way you spin it compared to other Ideas sets.

Overall I'd be surprised if the original designer isn't disappointed.

As it is, I'll probably buy it, but find a MOC for a ship, as this one looks horrible from outside the bottle.

I hate to be too mean since I've never designed anything for LEGO before nor have I ever designed a smaller scale ship. With that I give major kudos to the original designer because the submitted ship was amazing looking (granted it was larger scale). This ship doesn't look like a ship. I do like the printed element on the sail, but the rest I can throw into a parts bin.

With that said, the bottle does resemble a bottle better (but again, smaller). The height is over 3 inches tall...I grabbed my ruler. This is going to be tiny on a shelf which is where you would want to put it. I'm disappointed.

And I agree with almost 300 of those pieces being trans round plates, the price isn't anything amazing. About average. If it ever comes down in price (which a lot of IDEAS sets have), I may have to look at picking it up though. I'm debating on MOCing my own ship for the bottle OR if I should just try to bricklink the pieces of the bottle and hopefully be cheaper (you never know these days, sometimes it is easier to buy a set instead of individual pieces).

EDIT: I wonder if the Black Seas Barracuda from the anniversary set will look okay in the bottle?? That ship looks like a great translation at a small scale. Now it might be worthwhile to pick this up.

Edited by TheLegoDr
added text regarding BSB

I think the ship is really nice! Especially the sails, though it could use some kind of figure head. Don’t really like the way the trans clear outside pieces click together because it makes the ship harder to see- but can’t really be avoided, so oh well. Anyway it looks a lot like a bottle, and I love the stand! Definite buy for me. Can you fold down the mast to put the ship back in, or does the bottle snap in two?

Edited by Lego-fire

11 minutes ago, Lego-fire said:

Can you fold down the mast to put the ship back in, or does the bottle snap in two?

No, if you look closely you can see that the bottle neck is completely sealed.  I expect the base of the bottle will come off so the ship can be slid in fully assembled.

Is it just me or the box art is always outstanding in the LEGO Ideas sets 

It's like they invest like half of the budget just in the box art alone

If the instructions start with the bottle and ship is build afterwards inside, I will buy it. Otherwise I will pass.

Original was much better looking.

I’ll buy many of this set and I’ll give it to my friends, not accustomed to the magnificent LEGO world, I think it's a great little work of Art, and those who criticize it, I’m sure they are not able to create wonderful  MOCs.... otherwise, let me see!!!!!

7 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Personally, I think the size reduction of bottle makes it look a whole lot cleaner, and I like how it turned out. 

I agree. 

Other than the ice cream cannon smoke, and maybe the above board cannons, I don't miss much from the original.

I really hope two things,

Firstly, a series of these would be awesome

Secondly, perhaps this leads the way to even more "models" that are for decoration only and not for playsets.

This set is the first new set to get me excited in a long time. I really like it.

Edited by Criosphynx

Neat concept. The bottle and stand are beautiful, but that "ship" is making my eyes hurt. I appreciate the creativity of the overall design, but the blunt bow and cartoonish gunports are just ugly. Frankly I'd like it a lot better without the cannons and gunport clips, and the sails surely could've been more realistically formed, even at that scale. I'll probably buy it, but I'd have to modify or replace that ship. Still, neat concept.

I was looking forward to this because I thought the original idea was amazing. But I'm disappointed. As others have said, the bottle is nice, (even though it looks like it's got a few unsightly gaps in it), but the ship is surprisingly poor and in my opinion lets the original down.

I might pick one up if it doesn't sell well and ends up getting a discount, but as it stands the UK price of £70 is far too high - making this an (unfortunately) easy pass.