LegoModularFan

Negative views about the Market Street

What I would like to see is a release of a grand building with no interior included using the normal range of parts. Then have a separate "upgrade" kit to finish the interior for those (like me) who prefer finished interiors. It would probably never happen but who knows. 

2 hours ago, fordtruckin said:

What I would like to see is a release of a grand building with no interior included using the normal range of parts. Then have a separate "upgrade" kit to finish the interior for those (like me) who prefer finished interiors. It would probably never happen but who knows. 

Would it be like only one upgrade pack or multiples so you can choose how to furnish the building? I don't think selling the interior separately would be really necessary. I think most (if not all) people prefer a fully furnished interior.

Your comment made me think of something else, though. What about a set à la City people pack but that's all about furniture? A set all about dressers, beds, desks, tables, ovens, bathtubs, toilets, showers, carpets, lamps, etc. That'd be amazing for customizing the interior of Modulars.

6 hours ago, Terrasher said:

Your comment made me think of something else, though. What about a set à la City people pack but that's all about furniture? A set all about dressers, beds, desks, tables, ovens, bathtubs, toilets, showers, carpets, lamps, etc. That'd be amazing for customizing the interior of Modulars.

Why not. But the furnitures of that City set risk to be not detailed as the furnitures of the modulars... and non lego fan customers? Would they buy it? 

Edited by LegoModularFan

7 hours ago, LegoModularFan said:

Why not. But the furnitures of that City set risk to be not detailed as the furnitures of the modulars... and non lego fan customers? Would they buy it? 

If you google "lego furniture pack" or something along the lines of that you can see old cuusoo projects with fantastic furniture. Non lego fan customers? If they have a modular they can always refurnish it if they want...

On 11/01/2018 at 5:59 AM, Grrr said:

I didn't buy it at the time. Firstly, I didn't think the design was especially strong, but more particularly, it was the way the Lego Factory theme was marketed that made the final decision.

Lego Factory was not marketed the way Lego Ideas is today. Lego ideas takes a small number of models, brings them up to Lego designer standards, and markets them. A great result in a modular-ish fashion is the Fishing Store. Lego Factory on the other hand was purportedly going to allow you to upload a moc-design, and have it produced as a set with a production run of 1. If this were going to be the approach, I foresaw a lot of poor lego factory sets being produced, and therefore decided that completionism on this line would be silly and futile. As such, I decided not to buy the Market Street.

In retrospect, I regret not buying it (especially as I left it on the shelf at a very low price at a closing down sale); , but it's price now makes it difficult to justify buying it now. I'm happy enough to classify it as a modular, but imagine many who similarly regret not getting the set quietly continue to go on about it not being an official modular so they have a "complete" set of modulars.

You know, you could go on Bricklink and part it out . . ? It's not like there are any stickered parts. 

I'll have to chime in with the majority here:

While I DO consider it an offocial modular (if Lego does, why shouldn't I?), I still consider it to be among or propably the worst of the line, for the following reasons:

• color scheme doesn't work for me at all
  • 'Market' area is empty and thus pointless
  • weird off-color, structured bricks that propably should create a sort of run-down feel, but jsut look out of place
  • stacking two old-school 2x4 windows on top of each other looks rather dumb
  • So does using them directly at ground level
  • the balcony railings look amateurish
  • lack of windows on the back

That being said: In the video they did for the 10th anniversary of the modulars, Jamie showed the original design of Maret Street, which was mostly dark red and tan, somewhat a mixture of the color schemes for CC and FB. That looked WAY better than the blue color scheme they went with. And most of the other flaws can be fixed relatively easily.

Thus, one of the items on my bucket list of things to do is creating a MOC that echoes that dutch building feel. I'll rpopably borrow a few details from MS for it (e.g. the curved stairs & general facade proprtions), but it will be very different.

On 1/10/2018 at 11:22 AM, LegoModularFan said:

Hey guys,

After seeing the poor MS is even not considered like an official modular, I started to make some research about it, what is it’s minus? Perhaps the interior or it’s designed by an AFOL? What’s the problem about it? The only thing I don’t like is it’s windows 1x2x3 pane. Otherwise, I like it a lot and it is a different architecture. Even Jamie says in the 10th anniversary video that it was a very important modular and was encouraged to continue the line.

It’s biggest negative is it’s scale is a little off compared to the other modulars. Which can be very distracting to the eye. Green Grocer is also a hair overscale But is less noticeable due to color choices. It also feels less refined then the regular modulars. It feels a bit blockier. More like a traditional Lego set. The steps of the front roofline feel very awkward alongside the other facades. Especially with the large gap of open air caused by the garden area. It breaks up the visual flow of the rooflines. 

@Blk69 @RogerSmith @Faefrost Many thanks guys, now I really started to see it’s minus when compared to other modulars... 

On 13/01/2018 at 12:07 PM, RogerSmith said:

Thus, one of the items on my bucket list of things to do is creating a MOC that echoes that dutch building feel. I'll rpopably borrow a few details from MS for it (e.g. the curved stairs & general facade proprtions), but it will be very different.

I still plan to BL it by changing the things which I don’t like. I already started to have an idea about what to change (mostly thanks to you :classic:) and how to change/which techniques to use to make it look better! But if it seems to require a lot of work and after all that work I may not be happy with it, I will not waste my time, I will instead try a MOC like @Palixa And The Bricks who made some excellent canal houses!

Edited by LegoModularFan