Mesabi

[META] A quick overview of the map

I wouldn't worry about running out of room in BOBS. Regardless if your projection is right or wrong, there is plenty of space, discovered and undiscovered, to explore and develop. I also wouldn't expect any information on latitude and longitude as that could give away the total size of the map (I could be wrong on this). I am confident that the map will slowly be revealed by player actions, challenges, etc. as the game progresses. 

43 minutes ago, Drunknok said:

Actually it just requires a point of reference, which could be anywhere.

Quite on the contrary - it quite specifically can't be anywhere - it has to be somewhere! :pir-wink: And ask the pope, the French, and the English if it was easy to agree on... :pir-grin:

43 minutes ago, Drunknok said:

That's just like... your opinion, man.

Thanks, man. For a moment I thought the lizard people had highjacked my body and was using me to spread their personal opinions on the BoBS forums... :pir-grin:

Of course it is. I have arguments, though. As I said, I think too much knowledge at this stage will take a lot of the excitement out of BoBS, and I personally don't see what advantage other than instant gratification an answer would give.

And I would rather not play a game, where all the other players have meta-knowledge about the world. I might be spared the knowledge, but if I know person X knows, and he sails south for exploration, why the heck would I sail north? So I claim that the less we know collectively, the more exciting the world will be. And meta-knowledge can be RP poison. As I said, I prefer IC exploration with real surprise and excitement. And yes, that is my considered opinion. Like.... my opinion, man.

42 minutes ago, Capt Wolf said:

Europeans didn't know the size of the Earth before it was circumnavigated, and that momentous event hasn't taken place yet in BoBS.

Technically, wasn't the guy in the classic ages who figured it out Greek? (Even if he did it in Egypt?) :pir-wink:

But you may well be right that the "new Europeans" of the pre-enlightenment/discovery didn't know. I am fairly certain scientists knew the earth was round, though, but I can't really corroborate it. Columbus definitely thought he was heading for India.

Which, btw, brings me back to the above point - if we don't know the size of the globe, we will be surprised the day we hit the "back-end" of Halos. We might even land there and start colonising before we figure out, that it is in our backyard. Who wouldn't want that surprise? :pir-grin:

41 minutes ago, Flavius Gratian said:

I agree completely with you that the mystery of it all is an integral part of BoBS.

As it was for the age of discovery :pir-blush:

10 minutes ago, Captain Genaro said:

I wouldn't worry about running out of room in BOBS. Regardless if your projection is right or wrong, there is plenty of space, discovered and undiscovered, to explore and develop. I also wouldn't expect any information on latitude and longitude as that could give away the total size of the map (I could be wrong on this). I am confident that the map will slowly be revealed by player actions, challenges, etc. as the game progresses.

Exactement! :pir-blush:

Aren't the three main factions based off of real places? Spain, France, and England right? Locate them there and have them take up that general area. The farther islands are like the Spanish main...Although I don't think that it really matters. :hmpf_bad:

20 minutes ago, TheCubbScout said:

...Although I don't think that it really matters. :hmpf_bad:

Hehe... everything matters in BoBS... especially if you're a Corry. :tongue:

IIRC, the Greek size calculation for the Earth was off more than the Maya.

Given the topography and existing BOBS lore, I would think that the equator is somewhere south of New Oleon, even if the world is determined to be larger than the Earth. Most of the islands would lay between the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn, however large the tropical zones are determined to be. There is precious little depiction of cold weather, which leads me to believe that most of the game play happens in the tropics.

If this world is larger than the Earth, then the relative sizes of the polar and temperate zones could be larger. I remember some lore that says the waters north of the Madrice Peninsula are colder.

2 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

Yeah I guess you're right. :pir-sweet: If i'm being honest, I mostly just wanted an excuse to use that emote. For some reason I really like it. :hmpf_bad: :pir_tong2: 

On 1/11/2018 at 12:19 AM, Kai NRG said:

Don't worry, you will all be conquered by the almighty Oleon so maps are insignificant and will be drawn anew ! :tongue: :tongue: