Sign in to follow this  
Darnok

[COR - Era II - Callenge 1 - Cat. A] The Garnet Inn

The "Garnet Inn", run by old Osmond Garnet and his daughter Jewel, is a jack-of-all-trades pub. It serves a variety of beers and wines, you can get a fine meal there - many ingredients are grown in its own garden behind the house, or come from the nearby jungle - but "Ol' Osmond" also offers postal services and sells a couple of newspapers. Customers are served in the lower level, Jewel and her father live and sleep upstairs.

SOaEN5j.jpg

C6cl4RL.jpg

Situated at a road eastbound into the deeper jungles of Celestia, and literally the last building of Jameston on this route, over the last weeks the "Garnet Inn" has become a popular last stop for expeditions before finally moving into the wilderness.

enSQoRj.jpg

At this place, a few days after Reinhard had met quite a strange lady:

617, Day 21 of the 11th Month, In Jameston

Almost a week has come and gone, but now I finally have made up my mind. Even if I never planned to end up on this island, I will be damned if I do not make the best of it! If there is indeed a fabled orchid in the jungle out there, it can as well be me who finds it. A few discoveries on the way there would be most welcome!

The preperations are made, I will start tomorrow in the morning. Today I will visit the "Garnet Inn" one last time. The owners daughter, Jewel is her name, seems to profess an unusually good knowledge of the plants around here. She does venture into the jungle for hours every few days, and often brings back leaves, berries and whatnot to put into her (delicious) meals. If I could convince her to come with me, that would be a great help...

wVAUWpf.jpg

I thought that I could just ask. "Dear lady Garnet, we do not know each other too well, but I have noticed your considerable expertise when it comes to the nearby jungle. I ham heading for the wilderness tomorrow in the morning, and a person like ou would be a great help! What would you say when I ask you to join me on my expedition?"

Jewel replied: "I thought you would never ask. I have so many ideas! It is just that my fath..."

We got interrupted by Ol' Osmond:

IATQr9V.jpgJRwkeAU.jpg

"Enough of this nonsense already! Jewel, you will not go on one of these foolish expeditions.

Silly flowers deep in a deadly jungle?! Do not be so childish! And you mister: get out of here and do not come back!"

I had to leave, but heard Jewel whisper "come back in the earliest of morning" before being kicked out by her infuriated father.

===================================================

617, Day 22 of the 11th Month, In the jungle near Jameston

In the early morning, just before the black of the night turns into the darkest blue of dawn, I waited behind the "Garnet Inn", curious as what to expect. I did not have to wait long, when one of the upper windows opened in absolute silence, and young Jewel climbed down a rope!

0SefPwy.jpg

t0ji8mq.jpg

What a surprise! There was not a lot of time for discussions, for her father seemed to have noticed the open window. Just when he came out of the front door, furiously yelling at us, we legged it into the nearby jungle.

Now the sun is up for two hours already, and we have made a good bit of progress on the paths made by those expeditions coming before us. My first real adventure in the New World has just started!

===================================================

Dramatis Personae:

Q0uMC3L.jpg

Reinhard Wolffson, 48 years old, moved to the New World after the death of his father. An experienced explorer already, he hopes to discover many more wonders and secrets all over the Brickseas. Somewhat stranded on Celestia, he now is heading for the deep jungles of the island, looking forward to find a fabled "superb orchid" - and study as many things as possible on the way there.

Jewel Garnet, 32 years old, daughter of "Ol' Osmond" Garnet. Until just recently, she heped in running the "Garnet Inn", and is well known for both her cooking skills as well as her curiosity - but most of all for her desire for adventure and freedom. She knows the jungle close to Jameston inside out, but never moved far away from the town. She sees Reinhard as a chance to finally follow her dreams. Where this will take her? Only time will tell.

======================================================================================================

This post is my entry for Category A of the Superb Orchid Challenge. If you want to follow the surrounding story of Reinhards expedition on Celestia, have a look at this thread.

First, some more pictures of the builds outside:

Spoiler

GUImwDo.jpg

uQaqmG3.jpg

x5esbag.jpg

8P53fyC.jpg

ZHuiq5C.jpg

uBzd48Z.jpg

UTebjXO.jpg

EF6bU4o.jpg

The roof (including the upper level, which has no interior) can be taken off, and the building itself can be taken apart right in the middle. More pictures of that, including details from a scene shown in the story thread:

Spoiler

0t8BDKf.jpg

GPXrAdr.jpg

hQt62gr.jpg

V7IKGVN.jpg

Pp500NR.jpg

:

C&C on the story as well as on the build itself are of course welcome.

Edited by Drunknok
Fixing typos.

Nice build. I like the roof and the overall style. I'm gonna be honest though, I'm not a fan of the "flesh" color and the yellow heads. I don't think it meshes well. Other than that, I really like the build overall. The removable roof makes it seem like an official Lego playset. Nice job .

Fantastic build Drunknok, and Jameston is very happy to have such a handsome looking inn! I like the mix of colours in the masonary bricks and the wavy roof, but the stand out feature for me is the windows and how you have used the inverted brown slopes and arches to create the frame. I will be remembering this technique! As for the interior - well it is remarkable. As someone who really dislikes making interiors, I am really appreciative of the extraordinary level of detail you've put in here.  All in all a great entry, one of my favourites so far!

In the first shot, to remove the pesky background, have you tried angling the build inside the lightbox, then taking the photo square on? (does that make sense?) That should then make it easier to remove the background in an editing program such as GIMP or photoshop. Just a suggestion.

This really an excellent build! Probably your best so far (at least that I can think of)! I particularly like all the vegetation and the garden outside the house, as it's one of the things I'm lacking in my builds.

On 10.1.2018 at 4:37 AM, TheCubbScout said:

Nice build. I like the roof and the overall style.

Thanks!

I'm gonna be honest though, I'm not a fan of the "flesh" color and the yellow heads. I don't think it meshes well.

Between minifigs? I think it is a matter of taste. I did not mix them for a while, but by now I appreciate the diversity in both colours and facial expressions.

The removable roof makes it seem like an official Lego playset. Nice job .

I take that as a huge compliment, thank you!

On 10.1.2018 at 5:08 AM, Ayrlego said:

Fantastic build Drunknok, and Jameston is very happy to have such a handsome looking inn!

Thank you!

I like the mix of colours in the masonary bricks and the wavy roof, but the stand out feature for me is the windows and how you have used the inverted brown slopes and arches to create the frame. I will be remembering this technique!

Two things: the inverted slopes and arches are dark red, not brown (it is hard to tell, I have to work on my pictures, I know!), and that whole "technique" is directly taken from the Brickbeard's Bounty. It looks neat for sure, but I will not claim it being my own idea.

As someone who really dislikes making interiors, I am really appreciative of the extraordinary level of detail you've put in here.

If you want to improve in that specific field: just start small. It might be one thing where your lack of bricks is not an issue: LDD gives you all the options, and single pieces of furniture are not big projects - so less likely to crash the program.

On 10.1.2018 at 8:26 AM, Professor Thaum said:

That's a great one ! Very nice inn for Jameston (as already said) and a great cat A. entry

Thanks!

On 10.1.2018 at 10:49 AM, Flavius Gratian said:

This really an excellent build! Probably your best so far (at least that I can think of)! I particularly like all the vegetation and the garden outside the house, as it's one of the things I'm lacking in my builds.

Thank you, another big compliment! As for vegetation: apart from the garden I use very few different parts. I am lucky to have a PaB wall with the parts in question though, as "more is better" is true when it comes to jungle vegetation! :pir-grin:

4 minutes ago, Drunknok said:

Between minifigs? I think it is a matter of taste. I did not mix them for a while, but by now I appreciate the diversity in both colours and facial expressions.

Alright, I do suppose it's your build.:pir-sweet: Whatever works best for you. :sweet:

I like this inn, I don't know why but its windows, with these slopes and arches, remind me of those of the last bounty (brick bounty?) and it's good to see naval design combining with land architecture. And nice pics!

5 minutes ago, Bodi said:

I like this inn, I don't know why but its windows, with these slopes and arches, remind me of those of the last bounty (brick bounty?) and it's good to see naval design combining with land architecture. And nice pics!

See my post a bit above: it looks like that because it is taken from there. :pir-grin:

Nice build (and story) and I actually really like the roof (which I haven't seen it anywhere else I believe). Also the "modularity" of the set gives it credits too!