This was my fourth entry into the Colossal Castle Contest, for the Video Game Castle category. This model is based off of the watchtowers in Riften from the game Skyrim. The birch trees are versions of John’s tree design shown in our tree tutorial. I did include the stairs that make up most of the tower’s interior, though I wasn’t able to get a decent picture of them.

Nordheim has various large watchtowers along the main roads leading to the city. Sir Glorfindel is on his way to visit the dwarves there, and bring them news from their kin in Hradcanny.

overview-3.jpg

High-1.jpg

ScreenShot81.jpg

path.jpg

chest.jpg

More pictures on brickbuilt.
As always, comments and suggestions welcome :classic:

You've captured this region of the game and its distinctive style very well.  I love your take on the autumn birch trees and the stone foundation of the tower, and your furniture is very clever.  All-around great job.

Splendid outpost, SK - way better than the original, IMHO! :laugh:  The colors and woodwork are excellent, and I've loving that chest design too!  The little cup is quite clever as well! :thumbup:

That is very accurate to the original! I especially like the stonework on the base of the tower.

Great build SK, I really like the birch trees!  The roof looks really good and so do the inside details, especially the chest and goblet!

Lovely rendition in ABS :classic:
But to me it's almost the landscaping in its elegant and natural style which steals the show here!

The similarity between the image and the build is great! I really love how you incorporated the small "crosses", where the gabble meets. It's not that difficult or spectacular, but it adds a great touch :thumbup: 

When it comes to the LEGO-part: of course, your wooden pannels and stonework is nice as well, but we're used to that :wink: The details I probably like the most in this MOC, are the small supports for the roof. The hinges are simple, yet sooooooo clever at the smae time! Mind if I borrow that idea some time?

Lastly, a big thumb-up for the landscaping: no tower, castle, house, ... can be complete without a decent surrounding, and I feel like that's were you really excel at. The trees, the rockwork... Hat off, sir. Really.

I love the birch trees they look just like the game.  The base is fantastic.  The tower is spot on, I really like the way you did the roof.  Great job.

On 1/9/2018 at 12:28 PM, The Stad said:

You've captured this region of the game and its distinctive style very well.  I love your take on the autumn birch trees and the stone foundation of the tower, and your furniture is very clever.  All-around great job.

Thanks, glad you could see the Skyrim influence easily! 

On 1/9/2018 at 1:04 PM, Garmadon said:

Splendid outpost, SK - way better than the original, IMHO! :laugh:  The colors and woodwork are excellent, and I've loving that chest design too!  The little cup is quite clever as well! :thumbup:

Thanks Garmadon, John feels the same way :laugh: The chest design was my favorite detail, so I'm glad you like it, and that you noticed the cup design.

On 1/9/2018 at 8:08 PM, KevinyWu said:

That is very accurate to the original! I especially like the stonework on the base of the tower.

Thank you!

On 1/10/2018 at 1:41 AM, narbilu said:

Wow nice outpost! But the coolest detail I think is the chest...

Thanks, everyone loves a good chest full of loot :laugh:

On 1/10/2018 at 6:31 AM, Kai NRG said:

Great build SK, I really like the birch trees!  The roof looks really good and so do the inside details, especially the chest and goblet!

Thanks Kai! The birch trees were fun to build.

On 1/10/2018 at 11:30 AM, Gideon said:

Lovely rendition in ABS :classic:
But to me it's almost the landscaping in its elegant and natural style which steals the show here!

Thanks Gideon, I built the tower first, and was surprised at how big of a landscape was required for it to fit.

On 1/10/2018 at 12:40 PM, TitusV said:

The similarity between the image and the build is great! I really love how you incorporated the small "crosses", where the gabble meets. It's not that difficult or spectacular, but it adds a great touch :thumbup: 

When it comes to the LEGO-part: of course, your wooden pannels and stonework is nice as well, but we're used to that :wink: The details I probably like the most in this MOC, are the small supports for the roof. The hinges are simple, yet sooooooo clever at the smae time! Mind if I borrow that idea some time?

Lastly, a big thumb-up for the landscaping: no tower, castle, house, ... can be complete without a decent surrounding, and I feel like that's were you really excel at. The trees, the rockwork... Hat off, sir. Really.

Thanks Titus! The crossed gables were something I knew I had to include. Feel free to borrow the roof support design!

On 1/10/2018 at 2:55 PM, Blufiji said:

Very nice rendition.

Thanks Blufiji!

On 1/10/2018 at 2:56 PM, zoth33 said:

I love the birch trees they look just like the game.  The base is fantastic.  The tower is spot on, I really like the way you did the roof.  Great job.

Thank you :sweet:

The roof looks great, as the partially-pressed down tiles create a very organic and nice texture. The gables are particularly nice, and I am glad you posted the tutorial on them. But really, as others have been saying, it is the way the tower blends into the landscape, as though it truly belongs there, that set this build apart and make it special. For some reason I also love the knight with the bedroll strapped to the back of his saddle; that works so well, I will have to copy it someday.