Ghostengineer

Steamer 10205 power functions?

Good morning everyone.   I’m fairly new to Lego trains(about a year now) and have amassed a collection.  Today I just ordered steam locomotive and tender 10205. It has no motor and I don’t do 9v.  Everything I have is equipped with power functions.  I’m wondering is there any way to install power functions to the 10205? Any help would be appreciated..

Looking at the layout you'll probably have to do something similar to 10254 and house the PF battery box in the tender, the receiver somewhere in the cab/firebox area and stick the PF train motor in as the front bogey.

If the PF battery box is going to be in the tender, you'd best also integrate the PF motor into the tender also.  Otherwise you'll have the same problems that 10254 suffers from--no weight over the driven axles, and chronic wheelspin.   By integrating the PF motor into the tender, you'll get the benefit of the battery box's weight being directly over the driven axles.  It also won't affect the aesthetics of the locomotive.    Granted, you'll likely need to build a custom frame for the tender, to accommodate the bulky motor, and its top pin...   That's the direction I'd go.   I integrated a PF train motor and PF battery box into the Emerald Night tender in this way, and had pretty decent results.   OR, you could use the Green Passenger car 10015, and integrate PF into that...