Sign in to follow this  
Mads Lindum

Who do you think uses LEGO and what do you get when using LEGO?

Hello everyone! 

I am currently writing an assignment at Copenhagen Business School regarding LEGO and their brand identity. In this relation I am looking for information about what you as consumers are getting of valuable inputs by using the LEGO brand. I therefore have two questions: 

1. Who do you believe a typical user of LEGO is? What characteristics does this person have? And what values does LEGO reflect on such a user? 

2. What do you, as a user, get from consuming LEGO? Do you feel like a creative person? Or what do you feel? 

I really hope you would like to help me, and answer these questions, maybe start a little debate about the topic, it would be a great help! Thank you in advance! 

24 minutes ago, Mads Lindum said:

1. Who do you believe a typical user of LEGO is? What characteristics does this person have? And what values does LEGO reflect on such a user? 

A child. More likely to be a boy than a girl, most likely to be aged 5-10. I don't understand what you mean by reflect in this context.

26 minutes ago, Mads Lindum said:

2. What do you, as a user, get from consuming LEGO? Do you feel like a creative person? Or what do you feel? 

I mainly MOC, so I feel creative.

7 minutes ago, MAB said:

A child. More likely to be a boy than a girl, most likely to be aged 5-10. I don't understand what you mean by reflect in this context.

I mainly MOC, so I feel creative.

Thank you for your answer!

The first question is more about how you perceive other consumers as being. If we take another example, the users of Ralph Lauren i perceive as being comfortable young men with a good social standing. :) 

4 hours ago, Mads Lindum said:

1. What @MAB said. The child has one or two siblings who, depending mostly on age, may also be into LEGO.

One or both of the child's parents have at least some higher education (post-secondary school education such as a university degree), a non-manual occupation and live in an urban or suburban environment. The parents are likely mid-thirties to late forties. They probably played with LEGO themselves when they were kids. The family takes at least one distant (possibly foreign) holiday a year. They hope their LEGO-playing children will go to university and get good jobs when they are older.

2. A combination of things: creative, aesthetic appreciation, geeky, a sense of belonging to a community of AFOLs that has become cool (or cool-ish in a kidult way), a sense of satisfaction when I've obtained specific LEGO that I have been after, a feeling of accomplishment when I MOC something and it's just as I imagined it would be.

Edited by AmperZand

19 hours ago, AmperZand said:

1. What @MAB said. The child has one or two siblings who, depending mostly on age, may also be into LEGO.

One or both of the child's parents have at least some higher education (post-secondary school education such as a university degree), a non-manual occupation and live in an urban or suburban environment. The parents are likely mid-thirties to late forties. They probably played with LEGO themselves when they were kids. The family takes at least one distant (possibly foreign) holiday a year. They hope their LEGO-playing children will go to university and get good jobs when they are older.

2. A combination of things: creative, aesthetic appreciation, geeky, a sense of belonging to a community of AFOLs that has become cool (or cool-ish in a kidult way), a sense of satisfaction when I've obtained specific LEGO that I have been after, a feeling of accomplishment when I MOC something and it's just as I imagined it would be.

Thank you very much! - Awesome answer :D

1. A child, who likes to construct & create their own imagination in to real life. Lego values; using imagination, sparking creativity, playing is fun, learning on multipable levels (while playing), quality of the product.

2. Lego for me, as an adult, is a great outlet for creativity & my on going imagination. At the same time it's a great 'stress' reliever, where I can loose myself & time. ;)

Edited by -zenn

1. Children are overwhelmingly the primary majority user. Their most basic characteristic is a developing mind. Lego knows that kids have very open minds so they create toys that are highly adaptable and changeable to the kids desires in a medium (bricks) that is very diverse and completely compatible across all themes and genres. After enough pieces the kids can create their own toys. 

2. Therapy, entertainment, mental stimulation and enjoyment. Yes, building things other than what is dictated in the instructions demands creativity (sometimes the build in the instructions also spurs creativity) and seeing other peoples designs and creations is also incredibly inspiring.