eric_son_of_joseph

Santa Fe Super Chief MOC

Good day,

I could not justify purchasing set 10020 at the current aftermarket prices, so I took some time to make my own.  Some design choices were borrowed from the official set when I felt I could not improve upon them, while others were made to minimize cost.  White parts represent elements which do not yet exist in the desired colors.

https://flic.kr/p/21UPE2r

Stud.io file

Cheers,

Eric

Edited by eric_son_of_joseph
Added Stud.io file

Oh my goodness, how did you incorporate the new magnet into the front of the locomotive? That is really cool! Looks a lot brighter too...

Really great update on that model!  I think you've made some great choices.  Looks like the coupling's between cars aren't using magnets, despite the one included at the front of the engine, or am I not seeing that correctly?

@Steamdemon

Thank you very much.  You are correct, that is the old magnet.  It just barely fits on front. 

@deraven

Thank you, I appreciate it.  The model uses a lot more pieces than the official set.  I would love to see what the LEGO designers could come up with using a much higher piece count than the original. 

The magnets are actually connecting on their sides in some of the pictures.  Thank you for pointing that out about the couplings, I didn't even notice.

@*thomas*

Thank you so much :D

@legoman666

Thank you, sir.  I almost bought some but decided against it to keep the cost down.  They would fit if placed sideways, but again, prices were a little too high. I also felt like the sides were lacking texture.  The raised round tiles help with that.

This is the best 6-wide Santa Fe Super Chief loco I've seen in a long time! I especially love the rounded top over the headlights and onto the nose, I may have to steal that!

Over all, fantastic work, I've just fave'd your photo stream on Flickr... keep up the good work!

33 minutes ago, legoman666 said:

Very nice nose. I need to hook you up with some portholes.

JMTyr9Zh.jpg

Vinyl decals, right? I could use some of those in dark red.

I recently built my own version of the Santa Fe (with two carriages) in bluish greys, largely based off the original design but with mods where I couldn't get the parts in those colours. I have to say that the nose on your version is markedly better than the original!

Might have to try replicating the nose on mine before I put the stickers on.

Well done Eric!!!

Beautifully done! The front headlights and use of the 2 stud deep curved elements for the nose and below the windscreen definitely create the character.

Wow!!!

I thought that on the 6 wide scale TLG really came up with the best design. But: No. Not even close ...

Your design is as much EMD F7 as it possibly can get!

Congratulations. On the 6-wide scale, your design is topping everything I have seen.

Regards,
Thorsten

Wow. Everything I could have said has been already. Simply beautiful! I actually agree on the side portholes, those add nice texture!

Thank you all so much for taking time to write such kind words.  It was another Train Tech community topic which motivated me to start this model.  I really liked the direction @firstofminifigs was taking.

I couldn't take it anymore... Santa Fe Super Chief MOD/MOC

@Murdoch17

My Christmas train locomotive is a mod of your Emerald Night mod :blush:

@Vilhelm22

That is a great idea, but I was not able to incorporate the PF lights.  I'll need to learn some better, smarter building techniques before I try to add them. 

Cheers,

Eric

Very nice MOC, I like it!

Have not aired my Santa Fe in a long time, but got some inspiration now...

I too like Your solution on the nose. Is the magnet in front stuck to the frame and not the boggie?

On 8-1-2018 at 2:35 AM, Aaron said:

Vinyl decals, right? I could use some of those in dark red.

@Aaron, I could make them for you (of course). 

You SF looks very nice Eric!

What a great take on the Super Chief.   I've always admired the original, except for the blocky nose.   Love what you've done to smooth it out some!   Great job!

11 hours ago, JopieK said:

@Aaron, I could make them for you (of course). 

You SF looks very nice Eric!

I was just floating the idea. I'm going to see what I can do with what I already have first before I spend any money on decals.