Sign in to follow this  
DarthsDonuts54

[Ep. XVII] [Empire] [Week 6] Rebels Sighted

A great start to your stormtrooper career, DarthsDonuts54! I think that the plains terrain is the most difficult one to work with, but you managed to make a very exciting scene out of it. That's because you realised that when the environment is only pretty basic, you need some serious action to still create a compelling build, and you managed to pull that off perfectly. I'm totally immersed into the action of your scene. Every single figure is in motion - especially that storm trooper flying up into the air with some really awesome posing - and all of them have a unique personality. There are ones that prefer to take precise shots from a covered place and other ones just go all in! I think it could have been even more intense if you depicted some figures that have already fallen to make it extra clear that they not playing a game of paintball here :tongue:

Your landscape has some great parts to it. I like the fact that you have a raised area, although I feel like the slope could have been a bit more gradual to make it look more natural, or else it could have been part of a ditch with some water flowing through to serve as the perfect place for an ambush. You have a puddle of water that is great to break up the expanse of green, but the strange thing is that it actually seems to sit on a somewhat elevated part of the plain, which is not really something water would do in reality. But still, you managed to make the shape of the puddle look really good, and the path of mud around it is a nice touch.

I'm not too big a fan of the expanse in the middle though, but as I said before, the plain terrain is definitely the trickiest in this contest. It should be flat and relatively empty, but still it should look interesting. You have a lot of interesting landscape elements to break up the monotony, but none of them in the middle portion of the build. I think a piece of rock or maybe even a fallen tree would have made it more interesting there. Also, instead of making the plain part a straight stroke in the middle of you square base, it could have been at an angle with respect to your base to create a more dynamic composition. Also, I think there can be a better way to use all of those stalk pieces. Of course you can't cover the entire plain with them, but having them spread out like that makes the plain look unnatural to me. It's hard to explain and maybe it might even be personal preference, but I think that it's most of the time better to group parts together to make an interesting structure instead of spreading them out (compare it to your rock: you have a single big one instead of little pieces of rock throughout your scene, which makes for a distinctive element in your scene and makes it look more like you really built something instead of spread parts out). So in this case, you could have made patches of the stalks, with maybe some kind of natural path between them (maybe for the animals that go drink in the puddle of water or something like that). It's fine to have some stalks a little bit removed from the patch to have some kind of gradual transition and the patch doesn't just abruptly stop in an unnatural fashion. 

Those are some of my musings that are hopefully a bit helpful to you. And you might help me a bit too: how was that round tree constructed? It could be a great technique to create architectural columns with... That's just one of the many things that transform your build from a boring plain of grass to an interesting and exciting scene with various highlights! A great entry on your Imperial CV.

5 hours ago, BEAVeR said:

Those are some of my musings that are hopefully a bit helpful to you. And you might help me a bit too: how was that round tree constructed? It could be a great technique to create architectural columns with... That's just one of the many things that transform your build from a boring plain of grass to an interesting and exciting scene with various highlights! A great entry on your Imperial CV.

For the round tree I borrowed the water tower design from 10246 Detective's Office.