As a kid I always wanted to build a LEGO rollercoaster, but I never had enough LEGO to try building one... until now.

After winning a large LEGO set in the battle bot contest last year I decided that I now finally had enough LEGO to try building a rollercoaster, so I did!

I always try, but it's quite hard to be original since there's so many creative builders out there. But when I did some research and I found that no one had ever posted pictures or videos of a true rollercoaster scaled to accommodate technic figures I knew I found my challenge!

The main challenges of building one was the fact that there's no tracks made by LEGO to work on this scale.
I experimented with making tracks with various parts, but making curves never really worked like I wanted it to, and even a small radius turn took way to many parts.
And then it hit me... I don't NEED curved tracks! all I need is ways to make the cart change direction!
After that realization my brain exploded with fun and creative ways to do just that.
Not only does it take less parts because you can stay very compact, it's technically way more interesting(to build), and more fun to watch:wink:

For those interested I made a separate video about the techniques I used to make everything work.

This was my biggest MOC ever, and it took me extra long because I Had a "dark age" in the middel of the build, but in the end I'm extremely happy with the end result.

Let me know what you guys think!

Wow, some great engineering was done here. At some point I thought Mindstorms has been involved. The only thing I wish to see it running a bit more smoothly, but it might not be so easy I believe.

4 hours ago, shadow_elenter said:

I Had a "dark age" in the middel of the build, but in the end I'm extremely happy with the end result.

Ha, that's very common situation, for me at least, especially getting stuck in the middle of the design process.

That's true it does not really refer to the title but the result is really cool!

And who knows, you are maybe at the origins of a new concept!

A truly amazing build and the the on board camera video stomach churning !

Worthy of HOF.

Thank you guy's for all the praise and support!!:grin:

On 7-1-2018 at 7:53 AM, Carsten Svendsen said:

I wouldn't call this a roller coaster per se, but it's FRIGGIN AWESOME anyway. I like it :thumbup:

I was also unsure about what to call it...

It's definitely not a regular rollercoaster.. nothing like this exists in real life

The thing is that in real life this would not be feasible because it would be WAY to expensive ant technically complex to to justify the cost .

But it's a ride made for amusement, designed specifically for the thrill factor, it has tracks, a speed launcher, upside down stuff... and a cart with safety features...
so I kept coming back to the word rollercoaster...
What woud you call it?

On 7-1-2018 at 1:53 PM, Doug72 said:

Worthy of HOF.

I really hope so, if you guys think it is worthy :grin:

But I'm in there already so I'm not sure if that is allowed.

Edited by shadow_elenter

Very interesting ideas in there. I understand you are using SBRICKS to switch from one function and one motor to the other? I imagine it would be extremely complex to make a mechanical switching that would launch each function separately and one after the other?

On 9-1-2018 at 8:42 AM, wissamms said:

I imagine it would be extremely complex to make a mechanical switching that would launch each function separately and one after the other?

That would be very hard to do, especially with the big g-force spinner and it's claw.
To make it stop after a specific amount of spins and then stop exactly in 1 specific spots and then reset after... Remember that without an SBrick there's no speed control.
For most other parts it could be done I guess, but I have SBricks so why not use them? Besides I like to control my MOC's, after all lego is meant to be played with:wink:.

On 18-1-2018 at 6:42 PM, TeamThrifty said:

I love this.. nearly missed it as the title didn't grab me, but so glad i've seen it now. Brilliant!

Wel glad you saw it anyway! 

speaking of being seen... my video just got featured on DISCOVERY CHANNEL !

There's a Show on discovery sience that's called daily planet, they show small video's of things you don't see every day in between the main story's and they featured my rollercoaster in a 50 second piece!

I got noticed on the internet and was approached by one of the shows staff and they politly asked permission to show my video, naturally I said yes! 
I couldn't be prouder so I just had to share this with you guy's:
here

8 hours ago, shadow_elenter said:

I couldn't be prouder so I just had to share this with you guy's:
here

The link isn't working, but congratulations! It is a dream of mine to be on Daily Planet.

Edited by BrickbyBrickTechnic