Hi!

I'm building a prototype conveyor belt system from an inner bicycle tube. The problem is that the belt won't really take the V-shape of the rollers.
Is there anyone with tips? It's gonna be used in gravel screening and crushing plant.

26647896_10210847848097817_915195319_n

26647834_10210847847057791_481753430_n

26553065_10210847846617780_607020242_n

Thanks! :)

Edited by 3650tom

3 minutes ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

Maybe try putting a tight rubber band on the center of the bike tire; it could pull it inward. 

That sounds like it could work!

You could try replacing some of the gears in the middle on the ends with smaller ones so that it has a V shape at the ends too. Without the flat ends, it might be more V shaped.

I have seen working conveyors on model railways (OO / HO scale) that used de - inked type writerr ribbons effectively. Maybe a similar material but wider would work.

To kept belts on the end rollers they should be crowned. i.e. diameter in centre of roller should slightly larger than the end diameters.

The rubber innertube will never trough because of the tube thickness plus the conveyor is too short i.e the transition from the vee of the idler sets to the flat pulleys is non-existent.  

Try using some fabric material that is flexible in both warp & weft then paint with some liquid neoprene so it looks like a rubber belt.  

Weight of product (rocks / bricks) on belt will help make it trough.

cheers

OMR

Looks like it would work if you just made the tube wider to cover the entire thing, also in real life, there's a lot of weight on the conveyor to keep it down.

Make the conveyor much longer and of a thinner material, and it’ll begin to sag down in the middle.

3 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

Make the conveyor much longer and of a thinner material, and it’ll begin to sag down in the middle.

+1

8 hours ago, OneMoreRobot said:

Weight of product (rocks / bricks) on belt will help make it trough.

+1

On 6-1-2018 at 10:12 PM, TechnicRCRacer said:

Maybe try putting a tight rubber band on the center of the bike tire; it could pull it inward. 

On 7-1-2018 at 10:57 AM, Leonard Goldstein said:

Hi @3650tom,

very interesting :thumbup:

Like others said: use thinner material. A "lightweight tube" like this might solve your problem: https://www.bike24.de/1.php?content=8;product=12979;menu=1000,4,22,36

Keep us informed :wink:

Regards

Leonard Goldstein

On 7-1-2018 at 8:27 AM, Jurss said:

+1

On 7-1-2018 at 4:44 AM, mocbuild101 said:

+1

On 7-1-2018 at 4:44 AM, mocbuild101 said:

+1

On 7-1-2018 at 2:34 AM, Aventador2004 said:

Interesting project!

On 7-1-2018 at 1:29 AM, Carsten Svendsen said:

Looks like it would work if you just made the tube wider to cover the entire thing, also in real life, there's a lot of weight on the conveyor to keep it down.

On 6-1-2018 at 10:34 PM, fanders said:

You could try replacing some of the gears in the middle on the ends with smaller ones so that it has a V shape at the ends too. Without the flat ends, it might be more V shaped.

On 6-1-2018 at 10:34 PM, fanders said:

I made new post where you can see the updates! ;)
Thanks for the tips and the nice comments!

instead of using a moutain bike tube, you could use a race-cycling tube cut in half, they have a diameter of just more than 1cm non inflated so you get a 3.14 wide band and they are prety long so you have plenty of length. race cycling tubes are thinner and rounder so 2x better i think

20 minutes ago, TheNextLegoDesinger said:

instead of using a moutain bike tube, you could use a race-cycling tube cut in half, they have a diameter of just more than 1cm non inflated so you get a 3.14 wide band and they are prety long so you have plenty of length. race cycling tubes are thinner and rounder so 2x better i think

Hi, I made an update on the conveyor belt!