Hi,

I would like to present my latest commissioned MOC, the Ferrari 458 Spider:

38830101654_839846d614_c.jpg

It is 1:10 scale replica of this iconic Ferrari. It has the usual features (independent suspension, openable doors, fake V8 engine, steering, etc.) and a few more noteable functions:

A 4-speed sequential gearbox (thanks to @Didumos69 for inspiration of the stepper mechanism)
A convertible roof

Here is a video showcasing the functions:

It was a real pleasure to design and build this car. Especially the rear end is a maze of functions with the mechanism for the roof, the gearbox, the rear suspension and the fake engine all cramped into that little space. And of course I also still had to get some beams across as well to give the model enough rigidity to make the suspension useful. I have rebuild that section dozens of times until it suddenly all snapped into place.

38642927065_90034b33a3_c.jpg

The stickers were made by @jaaptechnic, including a few you can't see on the photos :sweet:.

Comments and questions are appreciated.

Leg godt,

Jeroen

Nice and instantly recogniseable! I love the folding roof mechanism - any chance of showing some of the internals? The only thing I'm not such a fan of is that the bonnet has some rather large gaps in it.

Very nice! The convertible mechanism is excellent, better than your previous convertible, in which I saw quite some stress in the entire car when it converted. This time it's perfect. And it looks gorgeous!

Love how the curves are captured so well with the flex axles and panel combinations. The convertible roof is superb.

Whoever commissioned this is getting a real treat. Instantly recognisable.

I'm not at all fan of new Ferraries, but you made geeat moc. I take myhat off :thumbup: :caroler: -> :angel_sing: -> :blush:

Edited by I_Igor

Simply love it.

But why does Ferrari model need to be red. They are so much beautiful in black or yellow ;)

Great job Jeroen.

Ps still awaiting your F14 vid part two. (I have a little project in mind myself ;) )

Congratulations, very nice job :thumbup::thumbup:! You have beaten my version from my earlier days for sure :look:. I don´t wanna waste any words about some shortcomings which are not so much to my taste, rather enjoy your creations overall appearance with the flowing lines, it´s truly gorgeous :wub:.

Edited by brunojj1

Impressive.  Great job with the shaping overall- a very attractive model while keeping nice technical features (especially that convertible roof).  Well done!  :classic:

Thanks for sharing this, man it is fun to observe the evolution of the technic genre.  Functions are preserved....and the looks are just stunning.

Edited by nerdsforprez

Thanks for all the positive comments, that is much appreciated.

12 hours ago, TheMindGarage said:

Nice and instantly recogniseable! I love the folding roof mechanism - any chance of showing some of the internals? The only thing I'm not such a fan of is that the bonnet has some rather large gaps in it.

The model is already on it's way to my customer, so I can't make any more photos. I can try to explain the mechanism in words:
It are basically two rotating liftarms that drive the roof and the lid. The are geared 1:3, so the driving linkage of the roof turns 1 quarter and the driving linkage of the lid turns 3-quarter circle. When the linkage of the lid is at 6 o'clock the lid is closed. When it is at 9 o'clock (it turns counter clockwise) the lid is closed again. At about half two the lid is at it's maximum opened position. The linkage of the roof is tuned in phase such that the roof is closest to the lid when the lid is at it's most open position. It all just goes. If the roof would come up a bit earlier, or later it would collide with the lid.

11 hours ago, LvdH said:

Beautiful. Even though it's similar to Bruno's, it's so much different in many ways. Really nice job! Love the flowing soft axles especially. You're seriously making me consider a commissioned build one day...

Thx. You can always send me a PM :wink:

10 hours ago, steph77 said:

Simply love it.

But why does Ferrari model need to be red. They are so much beautiful in black or yellow ;)

Great job Jeroen.

Ps still awaiting your F14 vid part two. (I have a little project in mind myself ;) )

Thanks, I think >80% of the Ferrari's sold are red, so I guess I'll be building red Ferrari's for some time :wink:. The second part will come, I just need to shoot one more scene and then I am done. I'm curious about your little project...

10 hours ago, brunojj1 said:

Congratulations, very nice job :thumbup::thumbup:! You have beaten my version from my earlier days for sure :look:. I don´t wanna waste any words about some shortcomings which are not so much to my taste, rather enjoy your creations overall appearance with the flowing lines, it´s truly gorgeous :wub:.

Thanks, that means a lot coming from you. I'm still interested in your view. Would you mind elaborating (in PM if you prefer), as nice as all the positive comments are, critique is the only way to get better.

9 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

You are so quick from one build to the next. Well done again with another stunning MOC. 

Don't worry, I am not some kind of superhuman LEGO builder. I am not building sequential, but I usualy work on two or three models at the same time. For various reasons these models were all finished roughly at the same time.

Thanks again for all the positive comments.

Jeroen

Awesome creation. I like the panelling. The car is instantly recognizable. Too bad you don't have more photos.

Where is the knob that moves the roof? Is the front suspension of pushrod type?

Wow, the lines are awesome! The owner will sure be glad with this model :classic:

Too bad the commissions don’t allow you to share more details of the internals… It sure enables you to keep your “ideas” but doesn’t help the community to make progress.

Will you create models in 1/10 scale with instructions in the near future?