On 8/13/2018 at 10:02 PM, Drunknok said:

Or club them to death, whatever

LoL .

Nice story, I wonder what happens next

@Drunknok

Wesbert Thaum studied the compass. He took a measurement of the sun. Then he swigged an entire bottle of rum. 

"Calinstock" he said. "We're on Calinstock."

"What the heck! That's nowhere North or North East on the map! This is Crazy!"  Said Pip Angrily. 

"Uh, boss, we got the maps dry. Looks like a location of Carnian positions in the New Haven Sea." said a Marine. (Secret Info Sent by PM)

"Well, now what?" Asked Captain Riley. 

================================================================================

Explore Calinstock

Calinstock is a massive Island, and exploring it will not be easy. 

• Walk to the massive abandoned lighthouse on the hill. 
    • It is stone, and at least 5 stories in height. Who could have built it, long ago?
  • Walk the stone road going into the Jungle. 
    • A stone road, overgrown, but still visible leads into the Jungle. Where does it go?
  • Walk the Beach until you find something of interest.
    • Sandy, and littered with debris, you're sure to find something else.

Repair your Ships and Set Sail

Repairs will be easy, as you've done this once already. Picking a course is the hard part. 

• Explore the New Haven Sea.
    • Pick an Isle to visit and explore.
  • Return to Mesabi Landing
    • This will give you an ending turn, as soon as you get home. 

Only one option can be taken this turn.

@Mesabi

Nice, thanks a lot! "One option" means one of the five subpoints, not "Explore..." or "Repair and...", correct? Also: what effort is needed to gain the island information and rumours?

@Drunknok Aye, you may choose and build any of the five options. For 'Repair and...' repairing your ship and leaving the island are considered one action. So, for that, you can either do a repair build, or a build of your ships leaving, either of which would count for that option. :pir-blush:

As for Calinstock's rumours and info:

Island 1 is about the same size as Calinstock. For Capt Wolf to be given the Island 1 rumours and information, he had to do around 4 builds, before he was given the info. He ended up doing 5, total for the info, and extra rewards.

I would say, if you choose one of the 'explore' options this turn, you will be given a list of options to explore the island, which will probably require 2 builds to gain all the info, and 3 builds to gain the info, and extra rewards. 

That make sense? :classic:

Your secret info will be sent by @Bregir when he gets the chance. 

On 9/2/2018 at 6:48 PM, Mesabi said:

Your secret info will be sent by @Bregir when he gets the chance. 

Nothing came of this - should it be that way? @Bregir?

23 minutes ago, Drunknok said:

Nothing came of this - should it be that way? @Bregir?

I will get to it. Sorry for the delay.

1 hour ago, Bregir said:

I just hope it is not too important. It has been seven weeks, and the next deadline is in two days. :wink:

Chapter V - A change of plans

Calinstock. Instead of the far north, the expedition had ended up in the far east! What to do now?

Both the Nipper and the Cranky Parrot had been repaired to a point where they could sail near the coast at least. Though some more work would be needed before the long way home could be managed. For now the best option was to set up a base camp: the ships would provide security and could be used to explore the coast, while the nearby jungle provided some badly needed fresh food and water. And who knew what they would find here?

On its second patrol down towards the southern coast, the crew of the Cranky Parrot discovered a massive tower. It could be a lighthouse, but without a closer inspection it was impossible to tell. As this tower would make an excellent base camp, both ships were ordered to anchor nearby, with a small expeditionary force investigating the site.

LuTQeUr.jpg

Mr. Thaum was excited: "Interesting architecture... and watch this granite stone used for the walls, we have not seen this anywhere else around here!"

Pointing towards the interior of the island, they found an entrance to the tower. Some weird sculpture looked down on them:

r0j6yRX.jpg

"Most interesting! Maybe the depiction of an ancient guardian spirit? Or a god of whoever people built this? Most interesting indeed!"

Pip was less enthusiastic: "Dude, calm your studs. The rest of us will go inside, shoot everything that moves, then check out what else is to be seen. Sarge, you and your men follow me!"

And so it was done. Pip had a look at the lowest level, which was partly overgrown by vegetation. Sarge and the WTC Marines checked the other four levels, without finding anything of interest - not even something to shoot at! Whoever had built this tower, it had been abandoned a long time ago, leaving nothing but bare stonework behind.

hN8k1t9.jpg.GYQwJEh.jpg

TQjZ57y.jpg.XV7LUIG.jpg

After searching the whole tower, Pip gave the following orders: "This will be our permanent base of operations from now on. Sarge, make sure your men make this a habitable place. Also collect some food and water and store it on the first floor, we might stay here for a while. For the time being the Nipper and Cranky Parrot will anchor nearby."

She continued: "I want one of our messenger pigeons sent home to Mesabi Landing. Give it the following message:"

Found little island north of Serentia. Claim 500DB now! Currently on Calinstock. Will explore. Send troops and supplies. Pip.

With the orders given, and the pigeon flying, the WTC had set its foot on new lands in the far east. What would the future bring?

===========================================================================================

I chose "Walk to the massive abandoned lighthouse on the hill."

I also want to cash in on the offer of "500DB paid if you find land north of Serentia", for that is what I did early on. I am referring to this:

Spoiler
On 7/14/2018 at 8:24 PM, Drunknok said:

@Mike S: Found it!

On 1/2/2018 at 2:01 PM, Mike S said:

The Royal Society of Navigation and Discovery has offered a 500 DB reward to the first person to successfully discover and map habitable land north of Serentia. This will be split between the cooperating persons if joint expedition.

Concerning the trade MRCA, let me know if anyone wishes to convoy with my ships.

Also before I forget, @Ayrlego did you transfer fort licenses or was that someone else?

In the main Corrington PM, page 99 (or look for 2nd of January 2018).

I will happily do the transaction myself. :pir-grin:

Some more pictures of the tower build:

Spoiler

KLJqgo9.jpg

ihG8gow.jpg

fuueNUe.jpg

PUkBsFM.jpg

I will build on this for the depiction of the "WTC base camp".

As always, C&C are welcome.

Edited by Drunknok

On 10/23/2018 at 12:53 PM, Drunknok said:

I also want to cash in on the offer of "500DB paid if you find land north of Serentia", for that is what I did early on. I am referring to this:

Reveal hidden contents

I will happily do the transaction myself. :pir-grin:

Well that took longer than I expected! :laugh: Well done! Yes, go ahead and do the transaction yourself. Do we have a location of this island on the map yet?

Just now, Mike S said:

Well that took longer than I expected! :laugh: Well done! Yes, go ahead and do the transaction yourself. Do we have a location of this island on the map yet?

I will wait for the GMs to confirm, so far this is only IC talk. Yes, there was that little island found, and no, it is not on any maps so far.

OOC: what I have taken from this AMRCA so far is that there is no serious land to be found north of Serentia. I ignored quite a few winks with a wooden pole... :pir-grin:

Indeed. The island is just a small rock. Not suitable for wooding, watering or provisioning, and much less for a settlement.

(OOC: It was a story element, probably just an out cropping on a reef connected to serentia. So no land found in EGS terms, sadly, despite Drunknok's more than tireless efforts ;))

14 hours ago, Bregir said:

Indeed. The island is just a small rock. Not suitable for wooding, watering or provisioning, and much less for a settlement.

(OOC: It was a story element, probably just an out cropping on a reef connected to serentia. So no land found in EGS terms, sadly, despite Drunknok's more than tireless efforts ;))

The offer from @Mike S does not mention anything related to the EGS, so this is not an issue. The offer asks to "discover and map habitable land" - the discovery being done. The island may be small and whatever, but it was definitely habitable (proof being the person living there for quite some time).

However, I noticed I have yet to do the "mapping" for the story. I am sure the crew has done a map and stored it somehwere safe, it just is too much for a pigeon to carry home, so the whole "cashing in" has to wait a bit.

48 minutes ago, Drunknok said:

"discover and map habitable land"

I am fairly certain Mike here refers to land that can be settled, but I will let him make that call.

Again, the island was a story element. We can cut those out entirely, if it proves to lead to conflict and/or misunderstandings, and then the game will be the poorer for it.

9 minutes ago, Bregir said:

I am fairly certain Mike here refers to land that can be settled, but I will let him make that call.

Aye, a clarification would be appreciated. I am also not trying to start a fight over this - I am happy with either outcome.

9 minutes ago, Bregir said:

Again, the island was a story element. We can cut those out entirely, if it proves to lead to conflict and/or misunderstandings, and then the game will be the poorer for it.

Not sure what you are on about here, since everything on the IC side of an AMRCA is a "story element" anyway. Nobody is calling for a stop of the AMRCAs.

Again: I am not about to start a fight over this, and I am not claiming that this little island absolutely has to be the droids land we are looking for. From an IC perspective the expeditions leaders will do - they indeed found land, they have no clue about the implications of the EGS, and have a strong motivation to get the money they were promised. However, I am more than happy to put this into a side story of this AMRCA: the WTC asking for their money, the RSND refuting the claims, some back and forth via letters, maybe some IC drama, maybe another ship being sent to the north (this time westward).

Please let me know if you think this is something we could constructively work with. :classic:

Yes yes, no worries. You can have all the IC discussions with the RSND leadership you desire ;) :P
(Just make sure you clear the OOC side with Mike - it is his money, after all)

BTW, according to the story, do we actually know if that island was "north of serentia"? When we did the first aMRCA response, the idea was that it was just a tiny speck somewhere on the way to Serentia. (If I remember correctly) And by reading it (quickly) again, I am still not convinced of anything else :) Am I missing anything?

8 minutes ago, Bregir said:

BTW, according to the story, do we actually know if that island was "north of serentia"? When we did the first aMRCA response, the idea was that it was just a tiny speck somewhere on the way to Serentia. (If I remember correctly) And by reading it (quickly) again, I am still not convinced of anything else :) Am I missing anything?

This is debatable. I would argue that it is:

• My prologue starts with the Cranky Parrot having left Elizabethville and being out "on the open sea".
  • If you look at zone 22 here, this would mean the ship is nowhere near Lacryma, Isle de Tyche, Isla Phillip or Serentia anymore.
  • Since the course has been set to the north, the "small island" mentioned here can only be north of Serentia.
  • Assuming that the "mutinous mutters" (mentioned in the same part) would not begin right after the start, but only after a few days, it is also logical to assume that this small island is quite a bit away from Serentia.
  • The fact that the island is mentioned as appearing on no charts here also supports it being a good bit away from Serentia: otherwise it would show up on maps showing the waters surrounding Serentia.

In the end it is not stated clearly anywhere. What "habitable land" means is still left open too. I guess we will have to fill both issues with some IC life before resolving the payout.

I think the WTC will send a second ship anyway. I already forgot the hints that there was no land to be found in that general direction. :pir-grin:

Bregir is correct here. :sceptic: By habitable land, I meant land where a settlement could be placed in game. 

40 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Bregir is correct here. :sceptic: By habitable land, I meant land where a settlement could be placed in game. 

Well, that settles it, thanks for the clarification. :thumbup:

So the search has to continue...

Drunknok

Pips crew had explored the lower levels of the tower. Right now, she just wanted a drink.  What she did know is that they had only found bare stone so far so it was safe to say whoever had been here wasn't any more. And the passage to the upper stores were blocked by rubble.

As the Marines were moving supplies in preparing base operations, Wesbert Thaum bent Pips ear about the scientific importance of finding out who built the tower and where they had gone.  

"Granite work like this can not simply be ignored...  This tower was constructed for a reason the statue may hold clues to its importance.  Why did they leave with not a trace of any sign they been here was it plague or something unnatural.  They didn't leave in a hurry they took the time to clean this place out."

Pip grew quickly annoyed with the conversation and began to walk away.   It was just then she felt one of the tiles below her feet made a "click" then a "pop".  Pip and Wesbert stared worried at each other as beneath the floor began the continued sound of sliding stone and massive crashes that shook the whole tower.   

As the crashes grew louder and louder they finally let loose to one final crash that sent a cloud of dust billowing up through the tower.  Oddly just as soon as the cloud of dust came upon them a wind came up through the tower and cleared it. Once the team regained it self from the coughing and choking of dust they noticed there was an entrance and steps that had not been there before.  At the back of the main floor of the tower now stood steps leading down into a dark passageways.

Sarge and the Marines all looked to Pip for their next orders... 

• Explore the underground passage...
    One build required showing what other hidden traps and snares the team encounters while the passage below the tower.
    Next turn will reveal what is found at the end of the passage.
  • This looks like a lighthouse - answers will be above!
    One build required showing the team finding a way to the upper stories. Do they climb? Clear the rubble? Find an alternative route?
    Next turn will reveal something about the origins of the tower.
  • This tower is of little importance - we re still low on supply, and our vessels are damaged
    One build required showing the expedition resupplying. Not doing so may have consequences. Adding an extra build will also allow you to repair your vessels, which are currently in no condition to sail.

Only one of the three options can be taken this turn.

@Bregir @Roadmonkeytj

First of all: thank you once again for the work you put in here. Another turn with interesting options for me - and pretty quick. Well done, please send my regards to the whole team! :thumbup:

A question that was not adressed by the GMs is the messenger pigeon I sent home last turn. Did it make it through? If so: would you approve sending another WTC ship being sent, to arrive in time for the next turn? I would like to send reinforcements in both men and materials. A build in Mesabi Landing would be part of this, as well as a ship with the ability to make the voyage in this amount of time (i.e. high range).

I just need to know your opinions on this.

Also @Bregir: there are those "Secret Info sent by PM" yet to be sent. I hope you can find the time soon.

58 minutes ago, Drunknok said:

@Bregir @Roadmonkeytj

First of all: thank you once again for the work you put in here. Another turn with interesting options for me - and pretty quick. Well done, please send my regards to the whole team! :thumbup:

A question that was not adressed by the GMs is the messenger pigeon I sent home last turn. Did it make it through? If so: would you approve sending another WTC ship being sent, to arrive in time for the next turn? I would like to send reinforcements in both men and materials. A build in Mesabi Landing would be part of this, as well as a ship with the ability to make the voyage in this amount of time (i.e. high range).

I just need to know your opinions on this.

Also @Bregir: there are those "Secret Info sent by PM" yet to be sent. I hope you can find the time soon.

@Bregir will need to confirm but I see no objection to you adding resources as long as the build is additional to your current required. 

@Drunknok

The crew is still trying to piece the Carnian documents and maps together, but expect them to be ready soon. (PM, underway - we are just hammering out the details)

However, there had been no sign of the WTC receiving the carrier pigeon, and the best guess is that it has been taken by birds of prey. It would seem the expedition will have to make do, or prepare a ship to send home for communications...

OOC: We have decided that you will have to work with what you have - it is an expedition far from home and with many miles on the clock - so we want to maintain the challenges connected with this. Should you repair the ships (or just one of them), you can split up the expedition and attempt to send one or both home for reinforcements.

3 hours ago, Bregir said:

OOC: We have decided that you will have to work with what you have - it is an expedition far from home and with many miles on the clock - so we want to maintain the challenges connected with this. Should you repair the ships (or just one of them), you can split up the expedition and attempt to send one or both home for reinforcements.

Fair enough, thanks for the quick response. :classic:

On 9/2/2018 at 4:04 PM, Mesabi said:

"Uh, boss, we got the maps dry. Looks like a location of Carnian positions in the New Haven Sea." said a Marine. (Secret Info Sent by PM)

Concerning this...

On 10/21/2018 at 9:35 PM, Bregir said:

... and this.

@Bregir: With the KPA now done I hope you can find the time for this soon? Thanks in advance. :classic:

Chapter VI - Parting ways... for now

Pip had gotten bored of this piece of land. What good was an empty tower? Climbing through rubble to get to the top? Delving into the depth of some rotten cave below? Nah, this was all wrong...

In the meantime, the jungle had offered them a few pleasant surprises. Much needed surprises indeed, for they were low on supplies again.

While some parts of the jungle were... just... more jungle...                                  other places had tasty fruits.

nxhvNX5.jpg.ZJ31AC5.jpg

Some of the local wildlife was easy prey, and tasted eerily similar to chicken.

o6CT9kG.jpg

Mr. Thaum found a curious plant, that stored lots of water under its flower - perfect for long journeys on sea!

fa6kkx3.jpg

Even a freshwater spring was found nearby!

3quYt0H.jpg

The sea was equally kind, for it provided plenty of fish:

4HIfD2S.jpg.DPi78TU.jpg

With food and water being available plentiful again, the attention came to the ships. Some repairs had still to be done.

On the Cranky Parrot...

J5ljQQV.jpg.Mndoen0.jpg

... as well as on the Nipper.

Bvyc1sh.jpg

Finally, just before Merrynight, the work was done, and Pip made a decision: "We will let "Black Squad" get the Nipper back to Mesabi Landing, together with everything we found so far. From there they will get reinforcements and return with more ships and men, to continue were we leave for now. In the meantime the Cranky Parrot will circumnavigate Calinstock, making a map of the shoreline, and wait for our return here once that is done. We will all meet again at this place, and continue this expedition with new strength!"

And so the supplies were stored, with both ships getting their fair share, and the previous findings safely stored in the Nippers lower deck.

sg2llrx.jpg.hUU7sjw.jpg

With the Cranky Parrot slowly sailing away near the coast of Calinstock, Old One Eye set course into the West...

EibAO5d.jpg

====================================================================================

I am choosing the third option, namely "This tower is of little importance - we re still low on supply, and our vessels are damaged".

This is what I have posted on the 8th, as a WIP entry for this turn, so you can compare:

Spoiler

I will not have my entry up in time for todays deadline, but got an extension until the 12th - thanks again! The paperwork has just been handed in, and if the AMRCA team wants to think about story options for this one already, a short summary of what I will do this turn:

• choosing the third option, I will let the expedition gather supplies and repair both ships
  • the Nipper and "Black Squad" will be sent back to Mesabi Landing, to call for reinforcements, building materials, settlers and more maps of Calinstock and the surrounding area
  • the Cranky Parrot and its crew will start to circumnavigate Calinstock, with orders to gather intel on the coastline and end where they began (i.e. near the abandoned tower) to reunite with the reinforcements later on

I will edit this post later on with the full entry.

Some wide shots of the jungle build and the spring:

cOLo5NT.jpg

xIzldzG.jpg

9NW5d2d.jpg.2fYrfzl.jpg

As always, C&C are appreciated.

Edited by Drunknok