grego18f

[WIP] Mack Granite GU-813 - Review added

Hello everyone!

EDIT: Review added

So, it is time for the review!

A while back, after seeing Ingmar Mack Granite, I thought it could be interesting to try it into TECHNIC. Sadly, I failed miserably…until this year because I succeeded in obtaining a bonnet good enough. The model taken for inspiration is an axle back Granite, the GU813:

maxresdefault.jpg

Of course, I could have done an axle forward one, but it would have been more difficult to put the LED lights and I think the axle back is more representative (from what I saw in Quebec).

This truck has a classic configuration but this was intended.

Some specifications:

-          1/17 scale model

-          Steering by a Servo motor

-          Drive by 2 L motors

-          Working steering wheel

-          Working fake 6 cylinders engine

-          Lockable fifth wheel allowing steered trailers

-          Rear coupling for oversize transport

-          And obviously opening doors and bonnet

Here are some photos taken between two rains:

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

I have not decided to fully detail the functions here as the video looks sufficient to me. But if you want more, let me know :wink:

There is a digital file. I am sorry if it looks messy but did not figure out how to put some parts together …

Nevertheless, I hope you enjoy this model! Any advice or comment are welcome :classic:

Older post:

After a long time without any MOC, I succeeded in replicating the shape of the granite axle back hood.

maxresdefault.jpg

Here are some photos. I apologise for the poor quality witch gives a worse look than in real life.

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

The model will be driven by 2 L motors and steered by a Servo motor (and of course LEDs lights in front and rear). It will have the basic 6x4 configuration as I have not found any piece of information about a 6x6 version...

Thing is that I  don’t really know witch solution to choose:

- Springless rear tandem suspension and front pendular axle;

- No suspension at all but transmission ultra reinforced for maximum torque (a bit like Designer Han trucks);

It would be really kind from you to give your feedback :classic:

Have a good day!

Edited by grego18f
Review added

I have a feeling we might see more and more MACK builds with the new set coming out. 

This build has a great start. I don't know if you are finished with the front or not. But the grill is either too short or the body is too wide. I don't know which one though. 

Following with interest for sure! 

Goodluck! 

@aminnich I see want you are pointing out. I don't have the parts in grey, so the sides of the grill are black. That is why the grill doesn't look wide enough. Each dimension is based on blueprints.

https://www.the-blueprints.com/modules/vectordrawings/preview-wm/mack_granite_axle_back_8x4_gu814_2010.jpg

Thank you for your interest!

Edited by Milan
Converted oversized image into the link.

Now this is what I call legendary Mack :thumbup:

...and you have chosen the right scale. Bonnet looks excelent

Hi there! Bonnet looks realistic!
Would you like to try to build a 8x4 version?

Since you can not replicate leaf spring suspension, make at least rear tandem axles. 6 x 4 version is very good choice

Thanks for your replies!

@M_longer: I have spent a whole morning into modifying the grill but I ended up create some weakness in the bonnet...

Btw, there is some small progress:

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg800x600.jpg

I have decided to give-up with the suspensions. This enabled to route the remote steering to the front of the axle (with Akermann).

The bottom shaft is the drive and the one on top of it is the steering.

At this stage, it is still possible to go for full manual.

Have a nice day!

Why you decided to replace the TLG stock cylinders to this smaller ones? I think there is enough room for at least 4 of them...

BTW front looks very good! Keep building!

And how does the front grill allow to open the bonnet?

Edited by Aleh

1 hour ago, Aleh said:

Why you decided to replace the TLG stock cylinders to this smaller ones? I think there is enough room for at least 4 of them...

I know there is the room for 4 of them but I prefer a smaller engine with the right number of cylinders. Its a matter of taste :wink:

1 hour ago, Aleh said:

And how does the front grill allow to open the bonnet?

Are you refering to the bonnet guard on the bumper? The bonnet can open (not fully like it was designed) and two rods behind the bumper generate enough friction to keep it into position.

1 hour ago, Aleh said:

BTW front looks very good! Keep building!

1 hour ago, ArsMan064 said:

Looks interesting now! Engine is built great!

Thanks for the answer! And how about 8x4 wheel formula? Like on the photo?

8 hours ago, Aleh said:

And how about 8x4 wheel formula? Like on the photo?

Well, the 8x4 was not what I planned at the begining. Nevertheless, if I manage to modify the Akermann linkage so that it uses current parts, maybe I will have a look on it :wink:

Here is how it looks like in 6x4.

maxresdefault.jpg

So the cabin is basically done...

All the RC unit is in place, and I have 12 studs between the L motors and the rear wheel archs. I will try to put a simple gearbox. the rear tandem will be the same as the one on my Volvo FH16 project.

Here are some pics:

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

Are you planning on making instructions for this?  

Figured I would ask now, because I can see into the future and lots of people are asking for them 

Cab looks great :thumbup:

...but as I'm always spoil-sport, there is one question that I would like to ask - can you make front bumper with metalic silver / Chrome parts (in future)?

This looks great!

btw if you still want to make a rear pendular axles I've found a easy way to fix the slipping gear issue:

New design for my Freightliner m2 112 rear axles.New design for my Freightliner m2 112 rear axles.

It is made for 6 studs wide chassis but you can easily modify it for a 5 or 7 wide!

Looking forward to see it finished!

18 hours ago, Technivor said:

This looks great!

btw if you still want to make a rear pendular axles I've found a easy way to fix the slipping gear issue:

It is made for 6 studs wide chassis but you can easily modify it for a 5 or 7 wide!

Looking forward to see it finished!

This simple design could be very usefull since @grego18f decided to make 6 x 4 version :thumbup: