grego18f

[WIP] Mack Granite GU-813 - Review added

40 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

I know I'm late to the party, but I like how the steering wheel is linked to the steering mechanism.

Yep, this why I have chosen a non-suspended front axle!

On 13/01/2018 at 5:42 PM, aminnich said:

Are you planning on making instructions for this?  

Figured I would ask now, because I can see into the future and lots of people are asking for them 

Well, I have zero knowledge in making instruction... I will try the LDD file though (or publish photo sequence later if I do not succeed).

On 13/01/2018 at 6:47 PM, I_Igor said:

...but as I'm always spoil-sport, there is one question that I would like to ask - can you make front bumper with metalic silver / Chrome parts (in future)?

I don't have any chrome parts . I don't plan to buy some because I am a student and don't have more money for that :wink:

23 hours ago, Technivor said:

If you still want to make a rear pendular axles I've found a easy way to fix the slipping gear issue:

It is made for 6 studs wide chassis but you can easily modify it for a 5 or 7 wide!

Nice solution! I will try it some day but not this time because I used the tamdem axles from my Volvo frame (inspired by @efferman):

moc.png

23 hours ago, Jurss said:

Why exhaust pipes are not cylinders but axle connectors?

I used this setup because it is the best I have found at the moment.

Btw, thank you for your comments!

EDIT: Done

800x600.jpg

Edited by grego18f
Teaser

Wow! Good job! Looks very cool!! How about it's playability? Any video?

2 minutes ago, Aleh said:

Wow! Good job! Looks very cool!! How about it's playability? Any video?

Thanks!

Well, there are two L motors for driving (with 12t/20t - 8t/24t) and a servo motor for the steering. The rear suspension allows driving on not so flat surfacse so the playability is pretty good I think (the best RC model I made so far). There are a working steering wheel and a fake engine. The fifth wheel is from @efferman and allows for coupling a steerable trailer. There is also a rear coupling.

As there isn't enough light, I will certainly add photos tomorrow. I am terrible at making videos so don't expect it to early :laugh:

@grego18f no problem if you do not have chromed parts; that is why I asked for future. To be in situation with not enough money I understand (I don't have it despite I'm a professor). As professor I can only wish you to be successfill student and when you finnish studying to have job that is worthy both you as person and your needs. Now back to topic; your version of Mack is very good :thumbup: I like it very much

15 hours ago, grego18f said:

As there isn't enough light, I will certainly add photos tomorrow. I am terrible at making videos so don't expect it to early :laugh:

Yes, but it's always not too late to start learning and filming video. As I did with my Lonestar...

23 hours ago, Aleh said:

Yes, but it's always not too late to start learning and filming video. As I did with my Lonestar...

:laugh:

Anyway, I manage to take some photos. They are quite hard to take (and bad) due to low light exposition (bad weather here in France).

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

Feel free to comment :wink:

So LDD is begun... and I have an issue.

640x340.jpg

I don't know how I have created this angle between the frame and the "ground" but this brings me headhaches ...

Can someone fix it? thank you :classic:

LDD file

This came together much faster than I anticipated, it looks great! I was intruded by the very clean hood design and it's nice to see the rest of the truck followed suit! Very well done :wub:

10 hours ago, aminnich said:

like this ?

Yes, thanks!

Sadly, LDD crashes everytime on my computer. I cannot add a single 5x3 beam on the front (as another parts). I tried to reinstall LDD but nothing changed... I don't really understand because the last version of Solidworks runs very well on it...

7 hours ago, DugaldIC said:

This came together much faster than I anticipated, it looks great! I was intruded by the very clean hood design and it's nice to see the rest of the truck followed suit! Very well done :wub:

Thank you very much! Comming from a talented car builder like you, it means a lot. I hope to finish my supercar one day :classic:

About the truck, I tried to be close to the real thing (pretty close to the blueprint I used).

7 hours ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Been watching this one for a while, it looks terrific! Very clean design, with smooth lines. :thumbup:

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Aleh said:

Wanted truck! Waiting to build it!

I try my best in the instruction process. If the LDD isn't a success, i'll break the truck into sub assembly so that it will be easier to understand the build.

For the crashing issue: make sure, You have the latest DirectX driver on the computer installed. Next to check EDIT/Preferences - if compatibility mode is in the lowest setting, and You can switch off the High-quality rendering options too, in case. Also please check if your computer meets the minimum hardware requirements for LDD: http://ldd.lego.com/hu-hu/download

For the build: I recommend to use groups for the build process, it makes the model much easier to understand and follow. Don't rely on LDD's building instruction maker, it is useless for technic.

+ Watch out for the colors You use, LBG= Medium stone grey in LDD, not the light stone grey which is used in the file.

I hope this helps, great MOC by the way, I really like the cabin shapes! :thumbup::classic:

8 hours ago, agrof said:

For the crashing issue: make sure, You have the latest DirectX driver on the computer installed. Next to check EDIT/Preferences - if compatibility mode is in the lowest setting, and You can switch off the High-quality rendering options too, in case. Also please check if your computer meets the minimum hardware requirements for LDD: http://ldd.lego.com/hu-hu/download

For the build: I recommend to use groups for the build process, it makes the model much easier to understand and follow. Don't rely on LDD's building instruction maker, it is useless for technic.

+ Watch out for the colors You use, LBG= Medium stone grey in LDD, not the light stone grey which is used in the file.

I hope this helps, great MOC by the way, I really like the cabin shapes! :thumbup::classic:

Wow, thank you very much for the tip :thumbup:

I think I am done with the LDD: 1506 parts (without the horns)

I'm sorry if it looks messy but everything must be understandable for the build... And someone can try to put all the parts together if he/she wants :wink:

800x446.jpg

LDD file

This is very nice!  One of the best looking Technic long-nose trucks I've seen.  This looks far better than the Lego one just released. 

Edited by dhc6twinotter

Cool truck you designed here! Do you plan more HQ photos, video and features descirption?

On 18/01/2018 at 4:29 AM, dhc6twinotter said:

This is very nice!  One of the best looking Technic long-nose trucks I've seen.  This looks far better than the Lego one just released. 

Thank you!

On 18/01/2018 at 9:49 AM, rm8 said:

Cool truck you designed here! Do you plan more HQ photos, video and features descirption?

Thanks!

Yep, I will post better photos and will certainly try filming a video. When it is OK with this, there will be a proper description.

6 hours ago, grego18f said:

Yep, I will post better photos and will certainly try filming a video. When it is OK with this, there will be a proper description.

Just keep in mind that max size is 1024p

So, it is time for the review!

A while back, after seeing Ingmar Mack Granite, I thought it could be interesting to try it into TECHNIC. Sadly, I failed miserably…until this year because I succeeded in obtaining a bonnet good enough. The model taken for inspiration is an axle back Granite, the GU813:

maxresdefault.jpg

Of course, I could have done an axle forward one, but it would have been more difficult to put the LED lights and I think the axle back is more representative (from what I saw in Quebec).

This truck has a classic configuration but this was intended.

Some specifications:

-          1/17 scale model

-          Steering by a Servo motor

-          Drive by 2 L motors

-          Working steering wheel

-          Working fake 6 cylinders engine

-          Lockable fifth wheel allowing steered trailers

-          Rear coupling for oversize transport

-          And obviously opening doors and bonnet

Here are some photos taken between two rains:

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

I have not decided to fully detail the functions here as the video looks sufficient to me. But if you want more, let me know :wink:

There is a digital file. I am sorry if it looks messy but did not figure out how to put some parts together …

Nevertheless, I hope you enjoy this model! Any advice or comment are welcome :classic: