Digger of Bricks

Who's Your Favorite Film Composer and/or Score?

So, to start off the second page of this discussion, what's your favorite classic film scores/themes from movies dating from the pre-2000's? My top five probably would be...

1. John Williams's The Raiders' March
  2. John Williams's theme to Superman (1978)
  3. John Williams's score for Jurassic Park (1993)
  4. Danny Elfman's theme to Batman (1989)
  5. Alan Silvestri's score to Back to the Future (1985)

17 hours ago, Ghost Onyx said:

My favorite soundtrack of his is from "the Secret of Kells."

Oh man. I need to watch that movie again; I got chills just reading your comment. That is a fantastic film, helped in no small measure by its haunting score.

Edited by rodiziorobs

6 hours ago, rodiziorobs said:

Oh man. I need to watch that movie again; I got chills just reading your comment. That is a fantastic film, helped in no small measure by its haunting score.

I think the movie and the soundtrack really deserve more love. Everything about it is just gorgeous. If you loved that, I would also recommend "Song of the Sea". It also has a beautiful soundtrack, also composed by Bruno Coulais. 

I have to say John Williams and his Star Wars compositions. I especially like some of his most recent work in The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi.

Here's Some of my favourites from each of these composers.

David Newman                                                             Alan Silvestri

Scooby Doo (2002)                                                      Back To The Future Trilogy (1985-1990)

Scooby Doo 2 Monsters Unleashed (2004)                 Ready Player One (2018)

The Brave Little Toaster (1987)                                    The Polar Express (2004)

Duck Tales The Movie (1990)                                       Contact (1997)

Stuart Little (1999)

Stuart Little 2 (2002)

Who Framed Rodger Rabbit? (1988)

James Horner                                                               Thomas Newman

Balto (1995)                                                                  Wall-E (2008) 

Deep Impact (1998)                                                      Saving Mr. Banks (2013)

Randy Newman                                                            John Williams

Cars 3 (2017)                                                                Jurassic Park (1993)

Home Alone 2 (1992)

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)

Hans Zimmer                                                                Daft Punk

Interstellar (2014)                                                          TRON Legacy (2010)

Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

Thunderbirds (2004)

Mark Mothersbaugh                                                     Michael Giacchino

The LEGO Movie (2014)                                                Jurassic World (2015)

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs (2009)                   Speed Racer (2008)

Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom (2018)

The Incredibles (2004)

Barry Gray                                                                     Julian Nott

Thunderbird 6 (1968)                                                     Wallace & Gromit Shorts (1989-1995)

Thunderbirds Are Go! (1966)                                         Wallace & Gromit Curse of The Were Rabbit (2005)

Henry Jackman                                                             George Bruns

Wreck It Ralph (2012)                                                    The Love Bug (1969)

Ralph Breaks the Internet (2018)                                   The Jungle Book (1967)

J.A.C Redford                                                                Harry Gregson-Williams and John Powell

Oliver & Company (1988)                                               Chicken Run (2000)

Sorry about the big post!

Edited by LB2341

I think the best scores to listen to without the movie are the ones by Hans Zimmer. Interstellar and Gadiator, especially with Lisa Gerrard are increadable masterpieces. Also Clint Mansell has done some great stuff. These are scores which you can listen in isolation and imagine entirely new epic movies, they are so good. But terms of scores that work well with one particular movie, you can't beat John Williams Superman theme. There's no reason to change it. How many times have they rebooted James bond with different actors but kept the same theme? Superman should always be Johns theme IMHO, its just perfect for that character, so much so that if you're making a Superman movie, and you don't feel that the John Williams theme works with it, then you are making the movie wrong!!! It's that good. 

Honerble mentions go to the themes for the movies Sunshine, Starman, Rocky, Edward Scissorhands and the land before time. Yes, the cartoon with the dinosaurs :laugh:

On 1/4/2018 at 12:27 AM, Umbra-Manis said:

1. Tron: Legacy - Daft Punk | A Complete redefinition of what a film soundtrack can be. If you haven't listened to it, rectify that immediately. 
10. Blade Runner - Vangelis | A masterpiece, and the guy can't even read music.

On 1/5/2018 at 3:24 PM, rodiziorobs said:

of course Danny Elfman, for the Simpsons and for defining Batman musically (seriously, his score is Batman)

1 hour ago, LB2341 said:

Mark Mothersbaugh

Those are a few of my favorites as well.

Daft Punk is so good, and TRON: Legacy shows them reaching their peak (they're still at their peak now, actually).  If you are interested in their music as score, check out Interstella 5555: The Story of the Secret Star System.

That Vangelis score for Blade Runner is fantastic.  He is another guy who just makes great music.

Danny Elfman would probably be my favorite film composer.  The Simpsons theme and Batman score are among his best work (and he won a Grammy for Batman).  He is at his best when working with Tim Burton.  His scores are a part of what makes these movies so memorable.  For example, think of classics like Pee-Wee's Big AdventureBeetlejuiceEdward ScissorhandsSleepy Hollow.  But he has done so many more, he is a very prolific musician.  And his music for The Nightmare Before Christmas is on another level.

Mark Mothersbaugh is underrated.  He has made fantastic music for television, film, and video games, and was the leader of Devo (of Whip It fame).  I particularly like his score for Happy Gilmore, and all of his work with Wes Anderson on great films like Bottle Rocket, Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums, and The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou.

Continuing a discussion relating to Studio Ghibli, I was particularly enamored with Joe Hisaishi's score for The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, which was a wonderful, beautiful film.  He is the same composer for the fantastic Princess MononokeHowl's Moving Castle, My Neighbor Totoro, Spirited Away, and other Ghibli films, as well as the pre-Ghibli Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.  My favorite track from The Tale of the Princess Kaguya would be The Procession of Celestial Beings.

I'm also a big fan of the films of René Laloux.  The soundtrack to La Planète Sauvage (or Fantastic Planet in English) by Alain Goraguer is a great one.  Many criticize the repetition, but I like the dark mood it creates.  My favorite from that film would have to be Le Bracelet.

I'd also like to mention Giorgio Moroder's Academy Award and Golden Globe winning score for Midnight Express.  The song Chase is a great example of his music, and he has had a fantastic and prolific career.

John Williams, Hans Zimmer and Ennio Morricone (Hollywood).

A. R. Rahman (Bollywood).

Joseph Koo, Raymond Wong and Tun Dan (cinema of China/Hong Kong).

There are many other greats out there, to be sure. However, these are my favourites.

Honourable mention must go to Nobuo Uematsu who makes every video game he touches feel like an interactive movie. 

On 1/5/2018 at 9:12 PM, PepperoniBricks said:

One easier to overlook would be Christopher Drake and his many, many animated DC soundtracks. I'd say the highlight would be The Dark Knight Returns!

Last night, I just checked out the two part animated adaptation of TDKR, and yes, I too was rather impressed with its score! I liked how at times they weaved some 1980's electronics into some pieces to complement its alternate historical setting, a really nice touch I thought. :smug:

Any other DC Animated scores you could suggest? :classic:

On 3/31/2018 at 8:59 AM, LB2341 said:

Sorry about the big post!

Not at all, I'm really impressed! :thumbup: :oh3:

On 3/31/2018 at 10:28 AM, allanp said:

...and the land before time. Yes, the cartoon with the dinosaurs :laugh:

Ah, I forgot about that score. In retrospect, it was quite beautiful. :blush:

9 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Last night, I just checked out the two part animated adaptation of TDKR, and yes, I too was rather impressed with its score! I liked how at times they weaved some 1980's electronics into some pieces to complement its alternate historical setting, a really nice touch I thought. :smug:

Any other DC Animated scores you could suggest? :classic:

Yes, absolutely. Shirley Walker's classic tunes from Batman: Mask of the Phantasm are appropriately moody and beautiful, often at the same time. Batman: Under the Red Hood has a fitting score, especially the main theme, which feels incredibly sorrowful before building up to a more dramatic leitmotif. Wonder Woman's is heavily ancient-Greek styled. And Batman: Assault On Arkham had a rather fun and upbeat montage song for introducing the villains: my particular favorite part is when it switches to a quick theme for KGBeast (you'll know it when you hear it). Really, all of them have some strong merits to them, even when if the movie it came from was one of the weaker ones.

Although I probably put John Williams at number one, I rate Basil Pouledouris as my close second as he's done some of my favourite scores, like Starship Troopers and Robocop as well as the amazing score to Conan the Barbarian. He does bombast really well. 

Regarding tracks themselves, I'd probably put the list something like this.
1: Starship Troopers - Fednet March/Klendathu Drop.    Just an awesomely powerful piece of music.
2: The Empire Strikes Back - The Asteroid Field.     I don't why, but to me its just what comes to mind whenever something is flying through space, The Battle of Endor is up there too, as the space battles were always my favourite parts.
3: The Trio - The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly        Just a highly enjoyable piece of music that builds up one of cinemas most iconic scenes perfectly.
4: Man of Steel - Flight       I really enjoyed the movie and it has my favourite score from Zimmer, this being a standout!
5: The Rocketeer - Main Theme      One of my favourite underrated movies with such an inspiring and fun score. 

I could probably fill lists of scores all day, but I'd say these are the ones I tend to return to a lot! I've also just realised I have a thing for themes relating to flight. Hrmmm.

4 hours ago, Catanas said:

Man of Steel - Flight   I really enjoyed the movie and it has my favourite score from Zimmer, this being a standout!

Same here! I much prefer that piece from his score over the film's unofficial theme, An Ideal of Hope . Gosh, I haven't rewatched that movie in a while, come to think of it.

The Rocketeer - Main Theme   One of my favourite underrated movies with such an inspiring and fun score.

Oh sure, that's a pretty fun score of James Horner's. :classic:

P.S. Your drawing of The Rocketeer in minifigure form is one of my favorite art pieces of yours! :thumbup: :blush:

I've also just realised I have a thing for themes relating to flight.

Well, sometimes they are the best pieces for particular film scores. For instance, two of my favorite film score flight pieces are Big Hero 6's First Flight by Henry Jackman, and How to Train Your Dragon's Test Flight by John Powell.

8 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

P.S. Your drawing of The Rocketeer in minifigure form is one of my favorite art pieces of yours! :thumbup: :blush:

Henry Jackman, and How to Train Your Dragon's Test Flight by John Powell.

Thank you very much! It's still one of my favourites too actually. :)  And ooohhh, that's quite a good one. I like that! The flight theme is also one of the only things that was truly memorable to me about the Green Lantern movie too. We're going to fly now.

1 hour ago, Catanas said:

The flight theme is also one of the only things that was truly memorable to me about the Green Lantern movie too. We're going to fly now.

I've never watched the film nor listened to its score before, but yeah, I too kinda like that actually! I see it's composed by James Newton Howard, who is one of my favorite film composers, as his scores for both Peter Jackson's King Kong and Disney's Atlantis: The Lost Empire are absolutely glorious! :wub:

Edited by Digger of Bricks

A lot of good soundtracks here! I am not the biggest Zimmer-fan, but he has some soundtracks that are really good!

I want to mention a few composers and soundtrack I haven't seen mentioned here:

Star Trek The Motion Picture - Jerry Goldsmith (Not the best movie, but the soundtrack is AMAZING)
On Her Majesty's Secret Service - John Barry (If anyone was wondering what the Incredibles soundtrack was based on, look this one up)
The Mission - Ennio Morricone
The Right Stuff - Bill Conti
Jaws - John Williams

It may not be a film but Tchaikovsky’s “Waltz of the Flower” is my absolute favourite; I think it may have even been used in the first Lego Batman game in the Joker levels.

After rewatching Captain America: The First Avenger back in July, I've grown rather fond of Alan Silvestri's score for this MCU entry, particularly its "Captain America March" from the end credits which I can play for hours on end. Anyone else dig this piece, or its entire score for that matter? :smug:

Imma just gonna go with the Star Wars main theme by John Williams lol

Another score I've grown to love more recently is Michael Giacchino's work on J.J. Abrams' Super 8 from 2011, particularly one of its last tracks, Letting Go:blush:

My seven favourite score composers with the scores that I like them for:

1. John Williams (Star Wars, Indiana Jones, ET, Hook, Home Alone, Schindlers List, Jurassic Park, Harry Potter, Empire of the Sun, Superman)
  2. Bernard Herrmann (Psycho, Vertigo, Citizen Kane)
  3. Danny Elfman (Batman, Nightmare before Christmas)
  4. Alan Silvestri (Back to the Future, Ready Player One, Forrest Gump)
  5. Michael Giacchino (many Pixar movies (especially: Up), Rogue One)
  6. Vangelis (1492, Blade Runner, Chariots of Fire)
  7. Hans Zimmer (Inception, Lion King, Pirates of the Carribean)
Edited by Praetorian_Guard

Ennio Morricone. One of the most versatile composers of our time. The Ecstasy of Gold is perhaps one of the greatest pieces of film music ever written. The motifs of Once Upon A Time in the West too is supberb and The Thing is one of the most atmospheric horror scores ever (even though John Carpenter eliminated most of Morricone's score from the film in favour of his own.)

I do like John Williams, Bernard Hermann, John Barry and Howard Shore, however I feel Morricone has a sound more distinct and more versatile than the others. 

My least favourite is Hans Zimmer. Whilst I enjoy Gladiator, I feel his scores are too similar to one another. 

The score for How to Train Your Dragon 3 is just god-like. John Powell totally nailed the first two films, and this one is certainly nothing less. The choral work in this is just insane. Especially the end is just so powerful, ahh could listen to it every day.