Mesabi

[COR-FB1] Protests in Weelond

Type: Medium Educational

The shouts echoed through the streets as a large crowd walked towards the library where the independent political movement was making campaign materials.

39433549682_1a5917f324_z.jpgWeelond Protests by North White, on Flickr

Some were armed. Some were not. All were angry at the prospect of losing a seat that represented them. 

39433549602_c8c08b8b89_z.jpgWeelond Protests by North White, on Flickr

"We have to go now! They're at the door!"

39464216181_df33c2c350_z.jpgWeelond Protests by North White, on Flickr

The lead protester tried to kick the door in. 

24597186717_c2aefa104b_z.jpgWeelond Protests by North White, on Flickr

A campaign staffer paused briefly to look at the door as they banged on the doors.

38755582644_253208d24a_z.jpgWeelond Protests by North White, on Flickr

They dropped their things and bolted out the back.

39464216091_f7685126de_z.jpgWeelond Protests by North White, on Flickr

With a cry of, "You idiot, the doors open the other way!" the protesters rushed in. 

25593738118_2e453fd3cd_z.jpgWeelond Protests by North White, on Flickr

One grabbed a candlestick and brought it down on the printing press. 

24597186587_89f504e904_z.jpgWeelond Protests by North White, on Flickr

Outside, the city guard arrived, but were blocked by the protesters. 

Clearly, it would be a violent campaign season...

FIN

Thanks for viewing my build for Weelond. C&C appreciated!

Nice nuild, Mesabi, and excellent photography.

2 hours ago, Mesabi said:

"You idiot, the doors open the other way!"

:rofl:

Nice build, Mesabi (although you have some unattached plates in the second picture! :pir-oh:) - the facade has a nice look to it and the brick-bricks give it a nice texture. The printing press sign is great, as is the interior of the printing house. Will it be licensed?

As always, your story is amusing, and you posing is good, although it still seems a bit angular to me. I would suggest you try to use more of angle poses. BoBS isn't a 1995 top down adventure game, after all! :pir-tongue:

I have to raise a flag, though, in regards to RP etiquette. I don't know where the story is going, but RP-wise, you are threading a fine line here. Similar to the discussion about the trial of Sinbad, you seem to be taking on the role of someone else's character/population/settlement, defining their reactions. Consider where this leaves the Eslandians? They can ignore this; accept that some of their citizens are rioting against their political system (and possibly show a counter-reaction); suggest that it is the work of foreign agents; or similar, but in any case, you are forcing a reaction, not by your own actions, but by high-jacking someone else's people.

Of course, you may have coordinated this with the right people, or continue the story and showing that this is the work of foreign agents (although that should really be someone you control too, not to commit the same faux pas again - is the WTC getting itself into further trouble?), or something similar, and then it is all probably ok.

I don't know if anyone in ESL or anyone else takes an issue with this, but in principle, this appears to be on the verge of stepping outside general good RP behaviour. I certainly would raise a brow if some Oleander started showing revolts against the Colonial Governor in King's Harbour, for instance.

Nice build, with some good details (masonry bricks for texture, printing press, candlesticks) and excellent figure posing, and good storytelling, too. And I was planning on building a library for Weelond, so you've saved me the trouble for now. :pir-grin:

That said, two points:

(1) The campaign season has ended. The independent seat has been filled, marking the first time the independent traders will be represented in Eslandola's colonial council. The new council thread will be posted soon.

(2) I must side with @Bregir on the RP aspects: since it is you, and not an ESL player, that has defined the actions of these "protesters," I am left to assume they are WTC agents in disguise. As such, all town guard, militia, and port authorities will be on alert for WTC agents. If further outbreaks occur, there will be consequences. For now, once Guilder is back in Weelond, he will likely correspond with Montoya on the matter.

The library and printing press actually help with my future pre-election story. Common wisdom labels this event as spurred on by outside agitators, and helps legitimize the election results.

Future efforts should be coordinated with the players with who's stories you hope to connect. Cooperation is the byword for this kind of storytelling, even if the characters in the story will be at odds.

10 hours ago, Bregir said:

Nice build, Mesabi (although you have some unattached plates in the second picture! :pir-oh:) - the facade has a nice look to it and the brick-bricks give it a nice texture. The printing press sign is great, as is the interior of the printing house. Will it be licensed?

As always, your story is amusing, and you posing is good, although it still seems a bit angular to me. I would suggest you try to use more of angle poses. BoBS isn't a 1995 top down adventure game, after all! :pir-tongue:

Thanks Bregir. I do plan to license the build. I'll do my best to make things not look like "a 1995 top down adventure game," lol

11 hours ago, Bodi said:

Nice nuild, Mesabi, and excellent photography.

:rofl:

Thanks Bodi!

4 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

Nice build, with some good details (masonry bricks for texture, printing press, candlesticks) and excellent figure posing, and good storytelling, too. And I was planning on building a library for Weelond, so you've saved me the trouble for now. :pir-grin:

Glad to hear you liked it! And glad I can help.

10 hours ago, Bregir said:

I have to raise a flag, though, in regards to RP etiquette. I don't know where the story is going, but RP-wise, you are threading a fine line here. Similar to the discussion about the trial of Sinbad, you seem to be taking on the role of someone else's character/population/settlement, defining their reactions. Consider where this leaves the Eslandians? They can ignore this; accept that some of their citizens are rioting against their political system (and possibly show a counter-reaction); suggest that it is the work of foreign agents; or similar, but in any case, you are forcing a reaction, not by your own actions, but by high-jacking someone else's people.

I don't know if anyone in ESL or anyone else takes an issue with this, but in principle, this appears to be on the verge of stepping outside general good RP behaviour. I certainly would raise a brow if some Oleander started showing revolts against the Colonial Governor in King's Harbour, for instance.

I do understand I'm treading a line here. But, since the election season is over (Which I had no idea about) I'll lay my cards on the table. (Because I actually had larger plans for this. :sceptic:) I was trying to influence Eslandolan seats away from @Capt Wolf to weaken Eslandola. I figured if I did builds showing @gedren_y's movement being attacked, people would vote for him more out of dislike for the WTC's actions. By the way, this is all OOC: so I don't want you guys using this against me. 

As for showing someone else's people in a build, I felt like I could show a few Eslandolan citizens showing their dissent. I mean there are 10 minifigs doing this. You can take that as you will, either as a whole movement, or as 10 angry jerks. But, this was really just testing the waters for me, and if I went to far, I'll be more careful in the future.

4 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

That said, two points:

(1) The campaign season has ended. The independent seat has been filled, marking the first time the independent traders will be represented in Eslandola's colonial council. The new council thread will be posted soon.

(2) I must side with @Bregir on the RP aspects: since it is you, and not an ESL player, that has defined the actions of these "protesters," I am left to assume they are WTC agents in disguise. As such, all town guard, militia, and port authorities will be on alert for WTC agents. If further outbreaks occur, there will be consequences. For now, once Guilder is back in Weelond, he will likely correspond with Montoya on the matter.

1) Dangit! You guys should post that stuff. :pir_tong2:

2) If you look to the far right in first photo, you'll see something interesting... Anyways, the way I see it, the WTC guys came in, made a speech and riled up some Eslandolan citizens. I don't feel like that is to far over the line for rping, but again, I was testing the waters here. And, since campaign season is over, I don't think their will be anymore incidents. (Though I lament the fact that that is the case.)

3 hours ago, gedren_y said:

The library and printing press actually help with my future pre-election story. Common wisdom labels this event as spurred on by outside agitators, and helps legitimize the election results.

Future efforts should be coordinated with the players with who's stories you hope to connect. Cooperation is the byword for this kind of storytelling, even if the characters in the story will be at odds.

Thanks! And that is the case. I didn't reach out to you or @Capt Wolf because I was literally trying to influence your guy's politics. I figured that would just lead to big ole "Nos!" from you guys. 

2 hours ago, Mesabi said:

I was trying to influence Eslandolan seats away from @Capt Wolf to weaken Eslandola. I figured if I did builds showing @gedren_y's movement being attacked, people would vote for him more out of dislike for the WTC's actions. By the way, this is all OOC: so I don't want you guys using this against me. 

My man - you deserve a good clap on the back for that one! :roflmao: :iamded_lol:  Must say, I absolutely love the reverse engineering you were going for here!

Unfortunately for you (in the present case, at least :pir-tongue:), I'm not in leadership anymore, but personally I'm fine with this - obviously we'll interpret it as a bunch of WTC rabblerousers trying to mess with our politics (you might get the WTC into a bit of IC trouble with Esl though :pir-laugh:), which, obviously, is what it actually is :pir-grin:  It's not like you tried to blow half of Weelond to bits and pieces or anything.  We probably would have fallen for your backwards engineering too if Eslandolan politics weren't so raveled that we'd outsmarted you already :tongue: :grin: :laugh:

To be short - as a general rule (IMHO, this is, of course), if you are messing with other members' characters or building or towns themselves, of course, you should ask them first; but if you want to build a WTC wooden blacksmith's shop in Pontelli and then burn it down right away, that's fine (you can't burn down the my house right next to it without my permission though, of course!) as long as you're quite willing to take whatever IC reaction the ETWC might impose upon you (fire escapes and ready water in all your houses in ETWC settlements from here on out).  So these characters protesting here are your creation so they may do as they like if they don't hurt anybody else's anything, but since you made them Eslandolan, we can hang 'em all if we like (thankfully, we're openminded folk :pir_tong2:).  (Note that they are your characters, so we couldn't just kill them without your permission.  They'd just be held accountable to ESL law like all other Eslandolans - we'd probably have a talk and find out something to do with them if we wanted to retaliate).  Fact is, it makes it easier and more fun both for leadership and members if we do our best not to be stricter than necessary.  So, for instance, I'm fine with MKJ's monkey court stuff (though obviously he's threading a thinner line here with official Corrie characters in supposed government positions), but if I was a Corrie I'd have that judge fined and kicked out to the Sea Rats when he's done with him :pir-devil: :pir-grin:

Still, when it's a close thing, I'd obviously advocate asking first if possible/sensible in the circumstances. 

Well, there you've got my couple o' doubloons.  Do remember they ain't officially worth much unless the others agree as I'm not actually a faction leader anymore!

9 hours ago, Garmadon said:

So, for instance, I'm fine with MKJ's monkey court stuff (though obviously he's threading a thinner line here with official Corrie characters in supposed government positions), but if I was a Corrie I'd have that judge fined and kicked out to the Sea Rats when he's done with him 

I disagree. The cardinal rule of good RP is interaction. Interaction requires allowing the other party the opportunity to react. MKJoshA did not. Yes, as you say, we can react after the fact, watching official Corrington being dretched through the mud first, and, in our minds, heavily misrepresented.

But the logical IC reaction when a pirate shows up, confessing that he is the man behind the attacks on Corlander shipping, would be to put him in prison, and then prosecute him next we had time for a court case. Any Corlander soldier or officer of the court would of course know this, and react accordingly, not take up the court case out of nowhere.

But sending in a platoon of troops would have been outright sabotage of MKJoshA's (obviously planned) storyline. Hence, the only reasonable response that I see is to ignore it as official lore, and express that this is not how we like to play.

I can't and won't stop him from telling his story, but I just can't accept it those premises. If someone wants to tell stories in the setting of BoBS, fine, but if anyone wants rp with me or Corrington and be accepted as part of our storyline and lore, it has to be on reasonable terms. And I think it reasonable that we ask that.

Honestly, what is most funny at all is that Mesabi doesn’t know how the Eslandola system works :p

We are not talking about campaigning for one seat but for multiple seats. There is a seat for each TC and a seat for independent traders (so 4 seats in total) + a seat for the representative of each region. So there is no need for rioting as both Capt Wolf and Gedren will have a seat :p