Basiliscus

[MOC] Spyrius Saucer Scout MK2

Like many of you, I did most of my growing up in the 90s and as a result LEGO themes from this time have a special place in my heart. Who can forget Wolfpack, Indigo Islanders, Octan, Ice Planet 2002 and Spyrius. Those names conjure up hours spent on my bedroom floor in worlds far away!

These days, the Neo 90s Space movement has brought many of these space themes back to life in ways which expand upon the originals like never before. This MOC is my interpretation of how the Spyrius set 6835 would look in this context.

For those of you who can't remember (or weren't born yet :laugh:), this set was a small scout ship, with a mostly symmetrical body and four thrusters at the edges of it's diamond body. At just 45 pieces, it was small yet it left a lasting impression on me that to this day I can't help but smile when I see the images of it, albeit it hasn't aged all that well.

6835-1.jpg

In my upgraded MK2 version, I've made the ship much larger and longer in keeping with the Neo Space precedents set by other AFOLs. The classic elements which make up the design I have tried to keep: the prominent thrusters, the diamond body, the computer tile at the front and the hexagonal cockpit. The gun above the cockpit always bothered me - I'm no shrinking violet but I always imagined a small scout ship to use stealth and manoeuvrability to get it out of a tight spot. One piddly little gun won't make any difference to its survival chances! Instead, I've re purposed it as a sensor array connected to a transmission antenna at the rear of the ship. With this new addition, the ship can communicate while in deep space with Spyrius HQ, sending information on its whereabouts and findings from deep cover.

38750782654_217d2893fd_c.jpg

Inspired by several other ships with snazzy presentations, I made an attempt at my own. With it's mission deep behind enemy lines, one saucer scout uses its secret Spyrius maps to land on a remote moon and take advantage of a Spyrius supply dump, complete with food, a hibernating repair robot, power generator and communications antenna.

38548986115_41479bf220_c.jpg

Larger pictures can be found on my Flickr stream.

Happy to hear any feedback!

Edited by Basiliscus
spelling

OK that's so cool. Such an awesome recreation of a set from a theme that was sort of end of the line for space. Surprising for me, a quick image search brings up quite a few MOCs based off the theme. Two thumbs up!

Edited by LegoMonorailFan

That is a very nice version of the Saucer Scout.

I love the landscape you've build.

Are you planning to build other vehicles/spaceships as well?

On 03/01/2018 at 1:07 PM, LegoMonorailFan said:

OK that's so cool. Such an awesome recreation of a set from a theme that was sort of end of the line for space. Surprising for me, a quick image search brings up quite a few MOCs based off the theme. Two thumbs up!

Thank you!

On 04/01/2018 at 10:47 AM, sander1992 said:

That is a very nice version of the Saucer Scout.

I love the landscape you've build.

Are you planning to build other vehicles/spaceships as well?

Thanks for the kind words. At the moment it's just a one off build, but I did enjoy it so I might do some more in the future.

You're one is much more beautiful than the original who seems to be unfinished or botched (I already had this impression in the 90s about the whole spyrius sets and the early black and blue space police sets)

Nicely done. I loved spyrius as a kid. I only had a handful of the sets, but the black/red/dark blue color scheme was very different and interesting.

This captured the shape of the original pretty well. I like the details you added in to make it more updated. It's hard for me to wrap my head around how to update a previous build. That is my goal from last year, to build updated versions of sets I liked as a kid. I've only done Forestman River Fortress so far, but I hope to do more including some Blacktron II or Ice Planet (and now maybe Spyrius).

Keep up the good work.

Very nice!  While the picture of the set brings on feelings of nostalgia, the updated version you present here is a superb improvement!  :sweet:

I really like all the detail you have included while keeping to the basic idea of the set.  The landscaping and additional pieces really make this MOC stand out!

Looking forward to any additional builds you may do.

Wow, I love this one, Ice Planet and Spyrius were my favorite themes back when I was a young kid just getting started with LEGO.  The second you see it you realize its an updated version of the classic scout spacecraft, but bigger and better. 

Creations like this always make me so nostalgic, I wish LEGO would bring back some of the old themes. Rock Raiders, Spyrius, Ice Planet, Blacktron etc. :sweet: