Waterbrick Down

Heroica RPG - Quest #159: An Unexpected Return

@Waterbrick Down (I'm fine with the second option.)

"Attina," said Throlar diplomatically, "I know this is a difficult situation, but bear with me. We both know it's for the best that you and your fleet continue to protect Eubric, so in order to ensure this I think you should be selected as the Council's first Minister of War. Your duties will consist of protecting Eubric from foreign invasions and protecting merchant ships from attack by pirates. In addition you will be given command of the fort in the harbor once it is rebuilt and be  able to use it as your base of operations. You will also have the responsibility of seeing that the walls of the city are manned and kept in good repair. However, as Eubric is now to have a proper government it cannot tolerate a non-state actor possessing total control of a massive armed force within the city, especially when that city constitutes the cities defenses. The ships you command, the fort in the harbor, the walls of the city, none of these will be the property of you or your family but property of the city and the Ministry of War and any flag they fly will represent the city, not the Bonapartes. In addition, you and your ships and men will be held accountable to the rest of the council, a second council whose duties will be to ensure that you and the other council members do not abuse their position, and the laws of Eubirc themselves whatsoever they may be. I'd also suggest renaming the fort to reflect the changes in the nature of it's ownership. Finally, you will be stripped of the ability to collect or levy tariffs or to appoint Harbormasters, as those will be the exclusive domain of the Ministry of Trade, and the duties of policing the docks, as that will be part of the duties of the Ministry of Public Safety."

Throlar leaned forward slightly. "I know this must seem like an insult to you and your family, to be asked to give up so much after what you've already lost, but I assure you I am not making my demands out of malice. My only personal contact with your family prior to this, an encounter with Captain Lane during which he helped Heroica break up a ring of slavers, was entirely positive. But many people do not have fond memories of your family and your servants and if we want this council to work and prevent any future uprisings then we need to convince them that you can be trusted and that things won't just go back to the way they were. Furthermore, if Eubric is to remain stable in the long term then the different members of the council cannot operate it for their own gain nor can there be any competition between them. And we most emphatically cannot allow the city to remain lawless and ruled by a squabbling merchant aristocracy. I know that you probably aren't happy with my requests, I know that I wouldn't if I was you, but if you value the stability of this city then I beg you to seriously consider them at least. And I know you must love this city, why else would you spend so much effort protecting it?"

19 hours ago, The Legonater said:

VindsvalNerwen, thoughts? I also think we should have someone 'newer.' Throlar, perhaps? Torald? Hel, Lind, if you really want it, the position does seem to be up for grabs.

9 hours ago, Flipz said:

Throlar and Skrall are the first picks to come to mind for the last spot."

Throlar looked at his hands, and more specifically the letter he'd been intermittently writing for the last few minutes. On the one hand he was flattered that these people would want him to be a Veteran, and some part of him wanted to accept. On the other hand it was like he'd told Lind earlier, he couldn't sit idly by behind some desk while threats like Rosier and Amber Makepeace that threatened to bring absolute destruction festered in the background, growing in power till they struck without warning.

10 hours ago, Kintobor said:

@Lord Duvors

44715522275_80b9c58342_o.jpg
"Hey, Throlar? You probably have no clue who I am, but that's alright. Name's Olivia, I work for the Syndicate... or, uh, at least what's left of it. Anyways, I've been informed to come and take you to our mutual friend. The, uh, undead one. She's specifically calling for you. Made me write a whole list and everything to ensure you were the one to get it." Olivia shows Throlar the note she wrote out

"Hmm, what?" Said Throlar as he was jerked out of his contemplation by the voice beside him, "Mutual... you don't mean- no, that can't be, why on earth would she want to talk to me?" he said as he took the note and read it.

10 hours ago, The Legonater said:

Lind, Throlar and Skrall seem to be our candidates. All strong options. That said, Skrall has a direct link to the Wolfgang, and Throlar  seems to be on his way out...

26621841541_b6c025c0ed_t.jpg
"The Wolfgang'll be desolvin' movin' forward if yer acceptin' Ulric's help. I'm here to make sure the rest of my folk and the green skin race get their equal representation. If that be through Heroica, so be it, but figured I'd make my stance plain."

3 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

"Attina," said Throlar diplomatically, "I know this is a difficult situation, but bear with me. We both know it's for the best that you and your fleet continue to protect Eubric, so in order to ensure this I think you should be selected as the Council's first Minister of War. Your duties will consist of protecting Eubric from foreign invasions and protecting merchant ships from attack by pirates. In addition you will be given command of the fort in the harbor once it is rebuilt and be  able to use it as your base of operations. You will also have the responsibility of seeing that the walls of the city are manned and kept in good repair. However, as Eubric is now to have a proper government it cannot tolerate a non-state actor possessing total control of a massive armed force within the city, especially when that city constitutes the cities defenses. The ships you command, the fort in the harbor, the walls of the city, none of these will be the property of you or your family but property of the city and the Ministry of War and any flag they fly will represent the city, not the Bonapartes. In addition, you and your ships and men will be held accountable to the rest of the council, a second council whose duties will be to ensure that you and the other council members do not abuse their position, and the laws of Eubirc themselves whatsoever they may be. I'd also suggest renaming the fort to reflect the changes in the nature of it's ownership. Finally, you will be stripped of the ability to collect or levy tariffs or to appoint Harbormasters, as those will be the exclusive domain of the Ministry of Trade, and the duties of policing the docks, as that will be part of the duties of the Ministry of Public Safety."

tS0OKE6-uZO2QkUKHXWwUZzBIQi5JSeGMKpdiwKMzmFN2jKDfB7eatlaCB5OxTfFOoEDRg=s85
"So if I'm hearing you correctly, we get to protect Eubric on the condition that we surrender everything we've built over the last fifty years over to it?"

7 hours ago, Palathadric said:

"But perhaps, I should not be the one to say. It seems to me the city is in good enough hands as it is. As for me, I think it's time that I went for my second furlough from Heroica. I will be heading south, I think, far south. But don't worry, I have returned to Heroica before in its time of need and I have a feeling that I will be back again should it ever need me. If it's all the same to you all, I will take a couple of night's rest, as well as to put my things in order, and then I shall be saying farewell to our beloved hall...and all of you."

Dyric gives a nod to the old Monk, and extends his hand. 

We'll miss you, Pretzel. I don't know where Namyrra is these days, but you can be sure the DAMN team is going to miss you. 

Hey, Arthur, I get the suspicious feeling we should send a Z-Mail to Hoke. Ask him his thoughts, if he wants to put his name forward. It seemed he was going on a vacation or something - I'd hate to disrupt a nice exit, but, hey, it's a possibility. 

3 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

"Hmm, what?" Said Throlar as he was jerked out of his contemplation by the voice beside him, "Mutual... you don't mean- no, that can't be, why on earth would she want to talk to me?" he said as he took the note and read it.

Throlar opens the letter and begins to read it to himself. The letter is written in scratchy cursive, almost as if whoever was writing it was shaking. It's shortness is somewhat surprising, considering Amber's penchant for the dramatic.

Throlar,

I haven't forgotten about you.

Come see me in the Locunon. Peppy here can lead you to it.

I want to talk. I know where my father is.

-Amber Makepeace

"Before I head anywhere, I should like to retrain myself as a High Cleric. As much as having mercantile skills is a useful asset anywhere in the world, I just feel that I will be of more use to the world returning to my roots, in a sense. Keep up good relations with the people at the marketplace, though, but don't let them push you around. Heroica has long been one of their best sources of finance; use it. Or perhaps if you want to bring Heroica more under the city's wing, then the city should start purchasing equipment for you, but I think it is better as is.

"Anyway, once I complete my training much of my equipment will no longer be suitable to me. I fear that just sorting through it and handing it out may be tiresome for me to do. Perhaps I will just leave it somewhere for you to split as you will..."

On 11/8/2018 at 12:06 AM, The Legonater said:

Agreed. The finer details like city defense should probably be left to a council decision anyways, 

Anything else? Oh, right, Veteran stuff.

I like to hope that we'll keep seeing new faces, Lind. 

Myself, Atramor, and Karie seem like a lock. I had thought Hoke might be a good fit, but it seems he has other plans. I see the logic in having Asa or Euflear around in a mentor capacity, but I think I'd rather see as clean of a slate as possible when it comes to Veterans. 

VindsvalNerwen, thoughts? I also think we should have someone 'newer.' Throlar, perhaps? Torald? Hel, Lind, if you really want it, the position does seem to be up for grabs.

I'm ready to close things out if everyone else is. 

I support you all as leaders of this Hall. and If you would have me I would be honored to serve.  I would also support the Whisperer in his position among them.  Though on occasion his antics have caused much frustration, he has grown.  I can also support both Throlar and Torald.  

In what role would you have me?  To whom would I be patron?  I spent much time fighting the powers of venom, disease and blight.  Shall I once again put on the mantle of master of the Witchery Way?

OOC: do we have a veteran role for witches?  I know its kind of a back step in power but poisons and disease took a huge part in his story.

Edited by Asphalt

22 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

"So what are you suggesting they do with their current ships? Simply surrender them over to the city?

Also, what would this plan entail for the Paladins? They - or what's left of them - are a significant armed force in their own right, here in the city." 

Throlar leaned forward slightly. "I know this must seem like an insult to you and your family, to be asked to give up so much after what you've already lost, but I assure you I am not making my demands out of malice. My only personal contact with your family prior to this, an encounter with Captain Lane during which he helped Heroica break up a ring of slavers, was entirely positive. But many people do not have fond memories of your family and your servants and if we want this council to work and prevent any future uprisings then we need to convince them that you can be trusted and that things won't just go back to the way they were. Furthermore, if Eubric is to remain stable in the long term then the different members of the council cannot operate it for their own gain nor can there be any competition between them. And we most emphatically cannot allow the city to remain lawless and ruled by a squabbling merchant aristocracy. I know that you probably aren't happy with my requests, I know that I wouldn't if I was you, but if you value the stability of this city then I beg you to seriously consider them at least. And I know you must love this city, why else would you spend so much effort protecting it?"

"Would you propose similar measures for all of the other houses, as needed?"

On 11/8/2018 at 3:21 PM, Palathadric said:

"But perhaps, I should not be the one to say. It seems to me the city is in good enough hands as it is. As for me, I think it's time that I went for my second furlough from Heroica. I will be heading south, I think, far south. But don't worry, I have returned to Heroica before in its time of need and I have a feeling that I will be back again should it ever need me. If it's all the same to you all, I will take a couple of night's rest, as well as to put my things in order, and then I shall be saying farewell to our beloved hall...and all of you."

2 hours ago, Palathadric said:

"Before I head anywhere, I should like to retrain myself as a High Cleric. As much as having mercantile skills is a useful asset anywhere in the world, I just feel that I will be of more use to the world returning to my roots, in a sense. Keep up good relations with the people at the marketplace, though, but don't let them push you around. Heroica has long been one of their best sources of finance; use it. Or perhaps if you want to bring Heroica more under the city's wing, then the city should start purchasing equipment for you, but I think it is better as is.

"Anyway, once I complete my training much of my equipment will no longer be suitable to me. I fear that just sorting through it and handing it out may be tiresome for me to do. Perhaps I will just leave it somewhere for you to split as you will..."

"Our time spent questing together was short, but memorable."

Lind handed Pretzel back his Shadeaux Mace.

"Good speed, wherever you travel."

Edited by Lind Whisperer

2 hours ago, Asphalt said:

I support you all as leaders of this Hall. and If you would have me I would be honored to serve.  I would also support the Whisperer in his position among them.  Though on occasion his antics have caused much frustration, he has grown.  I can also support both Throlar and Torald.  

In what role would you have me?  To whom would I be patron?  I spent much time fighting the powers of venom, disease and blight.  Shall I once again put on the mantle of master of the Witchery Way?

19 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"The Wolfgang'll be desolvin' movin' forward if yer acceptin' Ulric's help. I'm here to make sure the rest of my folk and the green skin race get their equal representation. If that be through Heroica, so be it, but figured I'd make my stance plain."

"In role, I think that you would be at your best as our veteran Cleric, friend - though through what manner (job class), is up to you. Your dedication to your faith, and your skill with healing - I think, in that role, you could prove masterful.

We did say that we're wiping the slate clean, but perhaps you could follow in the footsteps of Kukulkan, and be a patron to the green skins of Eubric?"

OOC: do we have a veteran role for witches?  I know its kind of a back step in power but poisons and disease took a huge part in his story.

Kukulkan, an orcish witch doctor, came to Eubric as a slave in chains, but fought his way to freedom and sought refuge within Heroica. He began working for the rights of the enslaved greenskins in Eubric and over a decade achieved a lot of good for them. The Feathered Serpent is still one of the leading figures in the orcish uprising, using his status as a Veteranto further his cause. Recently he has felt that the time for diplomacy is over, and direct actions need to be taken in order to end slavery in the Free Islands once and for all.

Edited by Lind Whisperer

2 hours ago, Asphalt said:

17 minutes ago, Lind Whisperer said:

"In role, I think that you would be at your best as our veteran Cleric, friend - though through what manner (job class), is up to you. Your dedication to your faith, and your skill with healing - I think, in that role, you could prove masterful.

We did say that we're wiping the slate clean, but perhaps you could follow in the footsteps of Kukulkan, and be a patron to the green skins of Eubric?"

"I mean, does it matter?" Karie exclaimed, sweeping up the last bit of glass on the floor. "I don't think the other veterans really put themselves into a particular niche, and neither should we."

Edited by Kintobor

5 hours ago, Lind Whisperer said:

"Officially or not, I mean to see what he started brought to conclusion. The green skins of Eubric still require guidance and a protecting hand to ensure they aren't taken advantage of. I agree with Karie though, whoever we're pickin' for veterans, I don't think they need to be subscribing to some certain role, it's their character that counts."

"I... can't support Whisperer as a Veteran.  Throlar and I used to have a similar feud, but I've seen him change as a person, and he's shed his more destructive habits.  Whisperer... he's not as bad as he used to be, to be sure, but I've still seen enough red flags and echoes of his old habits in all of this that I still wouldn't trust him with that power... and more importantly, I can't bring myself to respect him as a leader I'd be willing to follow.  As much as I've clashed with Hoke over the years, I'd still trust him not to leap at power for its own sake or in the name of some 'greater good', and I respect his sense of morality even when I'm frustrated with his rigidness."

With that, Arthur dashes off a Z-Mail.

----------

Hoke,

Sorry to interrupt your hard-earned respite, but your name has popped up in our discussion of candidates for the new Veterans.  If you'd like to speak your piece either for or against the nomination, now's the time; if you'd rather not come back in person, feel free to send a reply via this parchment.

--Arthur

----------

"Normally I'd also bring up Althior, but he's grown quiet as of late, and I'd rather we choose someone who's willing to speak up for themselves.  Like I said, though, my ideal Veteran lineup would be Asa, Karie, Dyric, Atramor, Vindsval, and Skrall, if Throlar's not willing to take a Veteran role.  Everyone on that list would not only be willing to provide a mature and reasonable perspective on any issue Heroica might face, you're also people I know won't just sit on the sidelines but would take active roles in helping Heroica accomplish our missions.  Veteran shouldn't have to be a desk job, and I think we'd be well-served to make an effort to keep it from becoming one."

Edited by Flipz

19 hours ago, Asphalt said:

Sounds good enough to me. I imagine Thothwick would disagree, but, well, he hasn't been around to complain as of late. 

11 hours ago, Flipz said:

"I... can't support Whisperer as a Veteran.  Throlar and I used to have a similar feud, but I've seen him change as a person, and he's shed his more destructive habits.  Whisperer... he's not as bad as he used to be, to be sure, but I've still seen enough red flags and echoes of his old habits in all of this that I still wouldn't trust him with that power... and more importantly, I can't bring myself to respect him as a leader I'd be willing to follow.  As much as I've clashed with Hoke over the years, I'd still trust him not to leap at power for its own sake or in the name of some 'greater good', and I respect his sense of morality even when I'm frustrated with his rigidness."

"Normally I'd also bring up Althior, but he's grown quiet as of late, and I'd rather we choose someone who's willing to speak up for themselves.  Like I said, though, my ideal Veteran lineup would be Asa, Karie, Dyric, Atramor, Vindsval, and Skrall, if Throlar's not willing to take a Veteran role.  Everyone on that list would not only be willing to provide a mature and reasonable perspective on any issue Heroica might face, you're also people I know won't just sit on the sidelines but would take active roles in helping Heroica accomplish our missions.  Veteran shouldn't have to be a desk job, and I think we'd be well-served to make an effort to keep it from becoming one."

Those are all fair points. I'd be accepting of that, though should Hoke accept, I think he would take that sixth position. Hmm... Skrall would be good for the orc representation, but it would be nice to have a dragoon among the Veterans again. Especially one with the sheer manpower that Hoke has. I'm a little undecided... though I think my vote still swings towards Hoke. 

I would hope that none of you who would put me forth into a role of founder would expect me to sit in a planning room all day and speak politics.  I gained my power through the Wanderer.  He shows the Path to those who would see, and I will do the same.  If the people are to trust us again they will need to know our faces, they will know mine.

The air was cool against the dragoon's face as it whistled by.  An autumn chill nipped at him as he pulled his fur skin mantle tight around his mouth and nose.  Torc's body heat kept this core and legs warm.  She was never cold.

"This is long past due," Hoke thought to himself, having only had contact with his family by letter for years now.

He snapped out of his thoughts and focused ahead, chasing the setting sun on the waning horizon.  Stars began to twinkle high above him. The view was breathtakingly spectacular. He would now have more time, he hoped, to enjoy these simple moments.

The rhythmic movement and sound of Torc's body and wings was relaxing, almost hypnotic.  He sighed, becoming overcome, thinking about these past years spent in service to Heroica.  How many people he met, how many adventures he had been on, the lands he had seen, the...

POOF! 

He barely saw a pink cloud pop in front of him as a parchment folded into a letter smacked him square in the face.  Annoyed, he peeled it off his nose and cheek as it flapped in the wind, almost slipping of his face before he could secure it.

He read the letter quickly and smirked, shaking his head.

"And I thought I was done," he said aloud.

He couldn't help the exhausted sigh that escaped his lips as he fished for a charcoal stick in his pouch.

He wrote: @Flipz

If my peers believe me to be fit for this office, then I accept.  My proposal is that each party should elect a representative.  That representative will present their ideas, issues, and what-not to the Council.  The Council should have 7 to 9 members.  These are my only recommendations. All other decisions should be made by the people of Eubric, their representatives, and the Council. Heroica is to be a non-entity in the political workings of Eubric.  If these terms are agreeable, I accept.  I will guide the Knights, Dragoons, and Paragons in executing their duties righteously.  However, I will not be returning alone.

- Hoke du Bennett

He folded up the parchment and tossed it over his shoulder, leaving it to fate as the note disappeared with a small flash and a small pink cloud.

Edited by UsernameMDM

Atramor stirred slightly in his seat. The exhaustion finally seemed to be getting to him as he put his hand down on his table.

"Asa, Dyric, Karie, Hoke, Vindsval. And if ya' want me in on this too, then....aye, alright. Heroica was there buildin' me back up when I was at my worst. If I gotta chance to pay that back, it ain't gettin' passed up."

3 hours ago, Asphalt said:

I would hope that none of you who would put me forth into a role of founder would expect me to sit in a planning room all day and speak politics.  I gained my power through the Wanderer.  He shows the Path to those who would see, and I will do the same.  If the people are to trust us again they will need to know our faces, they will know mine.

"Hell no. You seein' how few of us are left? Now more'n ever, every single hero needs to be pitchin' in the fight. Veteran or...." He paused, rolling the word around his mouth for a moment. "Veteran or no."

On 11/9/2018 at 9:59 PM, Flipz said:

"'Greater Good'?"

Lind shook his head. "Arthur, do you even remember that last quest we were on together?

Watching the Proggs' village be destroyed taught me preciously why 'in the name of a greater good' is never a justification for anything.

All that hard work destroyed because some of the heroes couldn't wait a few extra minutes..."

On 10/30/2018 at 1:51 AM, CMP said:

"Military defense, business, magic nonsense, science nonsense, foreign stuff, the Watch, public works or whatever, and last but ain't least, a man of the people." Atramor jerks his thumb back at Ulric. "That makes eight. There's our council. And they can elect whoever they damn well please to step down from their council position...if they are one....and be the face of Eubric. I don't like the idea of callin' 'em a king, but...whatever suits the council's fancy. And Heroica stays neutral. We cut ourselves off from the politics, and remain unaffiliated. If anyone suspects corruption, they report it to us. And we deal with it. Like we do."

On 11/7/2018 at 9:06 PM, The Legonater said:

Myself, Atramor, and Karie seem like a lock. I had thought Hoke might be a good fit, but it seems he has other plans. I see the logic in having Asa or Euflear around in a mentor capacity, but I think I'd rather see as clean of a slate as possible when it comes to Veterans.

On 11/8/2018 at 7:10 AM, Flipz said:

Arthur shakes his head.  "No, Asa stays.  Not only did she keep herself committed to the job and avoid political entanglements before the Founders showed up, but out of all the Veterans we had, she could have easily gotten away just like Hestia, and instead, she risked herself to try and sway public opinion, and nearly got hanged for it.  That's what a true Veteran looks like, it wouldn't be right to strip her of her position after setting such a sterling example."

"Arthur raises a point about Asa - but Dyric also raised one about making a clean slate."

He stepped forward.

"Given his tremendous support, and history, I also nominate Hoke Able...er, Du Bennett, for Veteran.

Åsa Nifelheimr also has significant support, and deserves recognition - but given this organization's need for a clean slate, I suggest that she be recognized for her service by being put in charge of 'magic nonsense,' as Atramor put it. This would guarantee that the position goes to the capable, while still keeping it free from Ziegfried power squabbles."

Edited by Lind Whisperer

On November 9, 2018 at 4:28 PM, Palathadric said:

Karie moves to Pretzel. "I'll take your gear you no longer need and put it somewhere. I'll make sure that if anyone wants anything they can snag it themselves." Karie says, holding her arms out to take the equipment. "I think Heroica needs to be independent of the city: we're here for everyone, not just it's elites.

If you need to train to be a High Cleric, feel free to do so. The training facilities are still open." Karie extends Pretzel a hand, giving him a grin. "Pretzel, take care, and safe journeys to you."

18 hours ago, Asphalt said:

"Absolutely not!" Karie proclaims! "You'll do no such thing! I doubt we could find a desk to fit you behind!"

11 hours ago, Kintobor said:

Karie moves to Pretzel. "I'll take your gear you no longer need and put it somewhere. I'll make sure that if anyone wants anything they can snag it themselves." Karie says, holding her arms out to take the equipment. "I think Heroica needs to be independent of the city: we're here for everyone, not just it's elites.

If you need to train to be a High Cleric, feel free to do so. The training facilities are still open." Karie extends Pretzel a hand, giving him a grin. "Pretzel, take care, and safe journeys to you."

"Thanks, Karie. That will work well. I wanted to wait around and see how things progress here before going for my training. But it seems that we're about wrapped up with that.

"Thanks, for your well wishes too. Keep well yourselves.

"I...just need to take my time to sort through the equipment and see what I will leave behind."

On 11/8/2018 at 11:47 PM, Waterbrick Down said:

"So if I'm hearing you correctly, we get to protect Eubric on the condition that we surrender everything we've built over the last fifty years over to it?"

"Yes." a sigh, "Believe me, if I felt I could offer you anything better I would, but quite frankly I don't think I can. I know you have given yourself and those directly under your command over entirely to protecting this city, and I know that you must have sacrificed much to accomplish what you've done. However, the person who has saved them from pirates and invaders time and time again is not what the people of Eubric see when they look at you. What they see is a member of the family that has levied ruinous tariffs against merchants, that helped fund the construction of a wall to imprison the city's poor in the Hovels, that can and has seized whatever they like from any ship in the port and uses a shell company as cover for illicit smuggling, that wanted to have the Sungold Alliance impress every person they could from the Hovels to serve on their ships, a member of the house so corrupt and tyrannical that your uncle felt he had to kill your father, the head of the house, in order to accomplish any meaningful reform. No, wait, I shouldn't have mentioned that, I'm sorry." he said with genuine contrition.

After a brief and awkward silence he began again. "You saw how easily the mutinying sailors took the fort away from you? How willing the populace of Eubric was to be rid of you without even the slightest hint of a scandal like the ones that brought the other houses low? How long do you think, if we gave you back everything you had before with no strings attached, it would be before another mutiny occurred to drive you out of your home once again? And how likely do you think that this insurrection would also end up fighting against the leadership that allowed your return, destroying it even? And there's more, if they succeed in removing the old leadership once again they'll likely form their own council or government or whatever, at least until the next revolution destroys that. Think about it, if whatever council or government that's formed here isn't satisfactory to the people of Eubric there's a possibility they'll try to remove it violently. Then the removers will themselves be removed by the next set of disgruntled citizenry and so on ad infinitum. I'm legitimately worried about Eubric becoming a constant cycle of revolution and counterrevolution unless we stop it here and now. And if accomplishing that means asking you to willingly give up ownership of the docks, your fleet, and the smoking ruins of your childhood home then I will make that request."

He tapped his foot in agitation for a moment before speaking again. "Look," he said, "if you want a way to keep your family's property yours, then I have a suggestion. You can keep the ships and the fortress, but you lease them to the Council for use by the Ministry of War in return for regular payments. And if you chose to accept the position of War Minister then you'd still have command of them to boot. I don't think it would be quite the same as what you had before, like I said you'd still give up the rights to levy tariffs or undertake actions against criminals within the bounds of the city but it would be more then my original offer. But honestly I'm worried that if this is the course of action taken it could easily be seen by the people as a return to the status quo, which in turn would undermine their faith in the Council. And if that happens then, like I said, they may simply choose to replace it violently. And I would also be essentially turning your family into mercenaries employed by the city, which you may object to. However, if neither of my offers appeal to you, and no other agreement can be made that satisfies you, then I ask you to leave the city in peace. Because if you continue the blockade then the only option we'd have left to us to attempt to break it is violence, and the only restitution of your property you can possibly gain from it will be at the cost of the resentment of the city's population. Enough blood has been shed today, and I have no wish for further death."

He sat back in his chair, hoping that his diplomatic training would see him through.

On 11/9/2018 at 6:46 PM, Lind Whisperer said:

"So what are you suggesting they do with their current ships? Simply surrender them over to the city?

Also, what would this plan entail for the Paladins? They - or what's left of them - are a significant armed force in their own right, here in the city." 

"Would you propose similar measures for all of the other houses, as needed?"

"Err, yes to the first if possible. To the second I'd say they'd have to withdraw their military forces from the city as they have proven willing and able to use them for political ends, but otherwise can probably remain unmolested. As to the third I honestly don't know, I haven't had time to think about that and I don't think I will in the near future, sort it out yourselves if it bothers you."

On 11/10/2018 at 12:59 AM, Flipz said:

"Err, Thank you Arthur, it means a lot to me that you trust me enough to nominate me as a Veteran. And It's not that I'm unwilling to lead so much as I'm afraid to lead. I'm already worried about the possibility of messing up spectacularly and I'm not even decided on if I want to accept or not. Besides, it's like I told Lind, I can't just sit around here waiting for problems to come to me, being reactive instead of proactive. If that's what being a Veteran means then I can't accept. For instance, I've just had something brought to my attention that may concern the lives of everyone in the city and I have to act on it as soon as possible. Almost immediately actually. And thank you miss," he said addressing Olivia, "I'll be willing to follow you to the place in the letter as soon as possible, but I have some stops to make first. I have take a brief trip to the Faerie to see a friend, Pereville, and I'd also like to meet someone, the fiancée of a young man name Waldorf, if someone will tell me where they are. I have some very interesting reading material I found that I'd like to share with them."

@Kintobor@Palathadric

"I'm fine with Atramor's Veteran lineup.  Figure he's got the right of it."  The Skirmisher yawns widely.  "And frankly i'm getting too tired to keep arguing.  So long as no one else sees any blatant red flags or loopholes for abuse, I'd like to get home, see my brother, and get some rest.  Rest assured, I'll still be here in the morning -- and will be for a long time to come."

6 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

"Err, Thank you Arthur, it means a lot to me that you trust me enough to nominate me as a Veteran. And It's not that I'm unwilling to lead so much as I'm afraid to lead. I'm already worried about the possibility of messing up spectacularly and I'm not even decided on if I want to accept or not. Besides, it's like I told Lind, I can't just sit around here waiting for problems to come to me, being reactive instead of proactive. If that's what being a Veteran means then I can't accept. For instance, I've just had something brought to my attention that may concern the lives of everyone in the city and I have to act on it as soon as possible. Almost immediately actually. And thank you miss," he said addressing Olivia, "I'll be willing to follow you to the place in the letter as soon as possible, but I have some stops to make first. I have take a brief trip to the Faerie to see a friend, Pereville, and I'd also like to meet someone, the fiancée of a young man name Waldorf, if someone will tell me where they are. I have some very interesting reading material I found that I'd like to share with them."

@Kintobor@Palathadric

"Eh, do what you gotta do. Our mutual friend isn't going anywhere anytime soon."

On 11/12/2018 at 11:17 AM, Kintobor said:

"Eh, do what you gotta do. Our mutual friend isn't going anywhere anytime soon."

"Very well. What I want to do might not work in any case, but it's important to try."

Throlar looked at the letter in his hands, rereading it to make sure it had no spelling errors and just generally sounded good, before folding it as neatly as possible and quickly dashing off a name on the outside. He then reached back into his pack and drew forth a number of items, laying them across the table in front of him. A pair of boots made from white scales, a white spear carved in the likeness of an ancient dragon, and a black lance wrapped in a green and yellow banner that no-one had seen him with before. He then set to work bundling them up with the letter (a task that seemed to involve a multitude of oddly colored pieces of string he seemed to have in his pockets) and, once finished, tossed the resulting mess into the air where it promptly vanished with a soft 'pop'.

Spoiler

To Annienal Anavir;

Hi Hello Greetings Hi, this is Throlar, I know we haven't spoken in some time (or for some time for that matter) but there's something I wanted to do for some time now. I'd meant to speak to you in person but unfortunately by the time I came looking for you you'd already left. And then I was kind of distracted by the founders of Heroica returning (not the real founders, fake ones), and us having to stop them from installing a dictatorship in Eubric, and rescuing the Fey One (the real one) from the archdemon Rosier, and having to prevent Rosier form taking over the entire universe. All-in-all a rather exceptional Tuesday (Thursday? Wednesday? I honestly have no idea how much time has passed since this all started Ophaniel tells me it's morning of the following day, apparently everything that just happened did so over the course of one night. [Sorry, Ophaniel is my angel, a fallen one to be specific. Not in the bad way, he a very nice person. {Have I mentioned I'm a paladin now?}]).

But I digress, you remember Lethauros? He's sort of what I wanted to talk to you about. Quibbles about who struck the killing blow aside, it was you who actually defeated him, and I saw how much you wanted that armor, so I thought you should have the boots. The spear we took from Salvato is also here, as well as a weapon I found that I though you might like (though how useful it is is entirely up to you). I suspect it's made from fairy dust and memories but it's solid enough to use. In certain circumstances anyway.

Respectfully yours,   

Throlar Wineghilm.

Also included in the 'parcel';

Lethauros Crushers (While equipped, the wearer does double damage to Rock and Flying type enemies, suitable for anyone; footwear),

Miracle Lance (A white spear crafted in the likeness of an ancient dragon: WP: 10, doubled against Ancient enemies; lance),

Standard of the Golden Dragon (WP: Dragon's level, cannot be upgraded or infused; lance).

"There, that's that."

Throlar stood up from his seat.

@Waterbrick Down

"Captain Attina," he said, "I'm sorry about this, I really would like to stay and try to talk things out with you, but duty calls. I hope you understand."

With a quick bow, he turned and strode out the door.

13 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

"Captain Attina," he said, "I'm sorry about this, I really would like to stay and try to talk things out with you, but duty calls. I hope you understand."

With a quick bow, he turned and strode out the door.

"Need any back-up?" Lind called after the dwarf.

On 11/12/2018 at 10:12 AM, Lord Duvors said:

"I'd also like to meet someone, the fiancée of a young man name Waldorf, if someone will tell me where they are. I have some very interesting reading material I found that I'd like to share with them."

@Kintobor@Palathadric

"She...she's dead..." mutters Petaldan sadly. "But Waldorf could be in the gardens or around there."