Waterbrick Down

Heroica RPG - Quest #159: An Unexpected Return

On 10/28/2018 at 8:39 PM, StickFig said:

Matthias catches the assassin's glance, but continues to sit quietly behind a mug of cider.

Throughout the conversations around him, Matthias simply listens... but when Hoke mentions leaving, the gnome finds it's the best idea he's heard. Too many politicians, he decides, and he slips out the door, heading vaguely towards Ziegfried Manor.

Matthias takes his leave but doesn't get far along the road before he bumps into Chesterine and her mother Zelda.

U4elhYHsxzDYMGkfFf6IX6IEmzjJhlNxtKeyFYGKwHIW3vds0QTSmLom1HwHA-r9SHrp=s85
"Matthias! Oh, imagine seeing you here, we heard the news that things were turning around and Heroica needed help rebuilding."

z6NmGGnGLhR0Ry8C4TPgYLXquS506AYkI5JuiVKKqW67FvxyOk41MaaMiSWBqYW-VfTxNHs=s85
"Chesterine dear, I believe I can carry on without you. Feel free to catch up with this nice young gnome."

Within the hall, representatives from across the city all begin to gather.

30687070687_d119a2d11e_z.jpg

"This better be good, I was so enjoying my vacation."

U8yPClmIcGehuh97iyQM9uAhNP4hLG1weqCxwkC-2eBRwFLfCNRcS5nNdU5YCFLEwgpYX6M=s85
"Well this certainly beats a jail cell."

PVYusz8SGbvnFEIbBCsLqCehvB39uqaDN3DPdLR3bbzYvBGe-gdeog7cBRtGfD_DQh77_A=s85
"I sure hope the heroes know what they're doing. That fleet in the harbor isn't looking too friendly."

ava-countlewisknyghton.png
"Have a little faith my good man, they've handled their fair share of negotiations in the past."

27377227557_9c9fda1443_t.jpg
"Indeed!"

97044e91-b3a8-4b3b-95c7-412bd3ca9efe_zps626f4568.jpg
"Besides, with this many level heads in the room, I'm sure reason and fairness will win out in the end."

14487117009_ae93ed93c4_t.jpg
"Don't go assuming Doc, if that was the case, I wouldn't have been facing the gallows earlier this morning."

40942014745_9a7dab1536_t.jpg
"The future is indeed uncertain, but perhaps that is something that we should grow comfortable with as opposed to always seeking the security of consistency no matter the cost."

lyrMdih91tdQpHIbdFbvmY_H6_Qwz1HDqVvnylvQpJddC5vjb1TithqlAxnSArRKayz1eg=s85
"Since when did the Guild start practicing philosophy?"

TMDIyPgcMEUhhoqnFfxxmhYSfkFOA68EnTkeC3mbNGNJbal78mVxuznm587Bfz_8k1JXig=s85
"Since they discovered monopolizing businesses doesn't win them any friends."

25404690297_36491a070f_t.jpg
"Neither does being out of touch with the city you live in."

Upstairs, the heroes continue to debate and deliberate.

45577562072_caf716a0b5_z.jpg

Skrall sighs,
26621841541_b6c025c0ed_t.jpg
"When I joined this organization, I had nearly a half dozen brothers an' sisters in the orcish liberation movement, and another half attending university wantin' to discuss philosophy and the best way to rule men. This organization has gotten further than any of 'em ever did in actually solvin' the worlds problems. You want to know why?  Because Heroica was never belonged to this city, sure we based ourselves here and even then many of us have ties here, but we never constrained ourselves to simply acting for this city. Our allegiance didn't lie to it and I don't believe it ever should. Houses, organizations, councils, even kings are corruptible, but ideals, standards, morals, those are the things that can truly ever be unblemished. Those are the things to swear one's self to. I follow Ulric, not because he's some sort of savior, or because he has power, I follow him because of the ideas he stands for and sorry boss, but you stray from those, you betray those and I'm out. I ain't opposed to those in Heroica being involved in this city's politics, but Heroica itself doesn't owe any people, city, or nation any fealty."

45577493342_b52e667deb_z.jpg

Mean while Kiray and Diana find a cozy corner of their own to watch the proceedings.

QM Note: Technically the quest is over, if there are other things some folks wanted to do. There will be a few epilogue posts for me to have up and I'd like to see a satisfactory conclusion reached with the current conversations, but other players need not feel obligated to continue participating if they do not wish to. I'll post final stats in my next update. Thanks to everyone who participated not only in this quest but in the last seven years, it's been one amazing ride! I'll have more to say about the quest and the game itself once things wrap in this thread, but feel free to post any thoughts in the QM lounge or general discussion.

11 hours ago, UsernameMDM said:

"Why not set up the council, and let the council elect their own 'leader-king'."

2 hours ago, The Legonater said:

Which is why we don't put a king forward. An evenly split council will make sure all interests are presents. This isn't going to be the Houses, this is going to be a discussion. If one leader goes south, the rest can make sure they step in line. There are plenty of good people in this city who have a stake in making it better, I say we trust them to make the right choices.

1 hour ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"When I joined this organization, I had nearly a half dozen brothers an' sisters in the orcish liberation movement, and another half attending university wantin' to discuss philosophy and the best way to rule men. This organization has gotten further than any of 'em ever did in actually solvin' the worlds problems. You want to know why?  Because Heroica was never belonged to this city, sure we based ourselves here and even then many of us have ties here, but we never constrained ourselves to simply acting for this city. Our allegiance didn't lie to it and I don't believe it ever should. Houses, organizations, councils, even kings are corruptible, but ideals, standards, morals, those are the things that can truly ever be unblemished. Those are the things to swear one's self to. I follow Ulric, not because he's some sort of savior, or because he has power, I follow him because of the ideas he stands for and sorry boss, but you stray from those, you betray those and I'm out. I ain't opposed to those in Heroica being involved in this city's politics, but Heroica itself doesn't owe any people, city, or nation any fealty."

Atramor scratches his chin, trying to ignore the din under the saloon, for a moment. In his mind, there was no approaching them until they had a solid plan. Finally, he plants his hands on a table.

"I think Hoke's found the compromise we need, mates."

He then starts gesticulating and pointing at the tabletop wildly, as if it improved his point.

"Military defense, business, magic nonsense, science nonsense, foreign stuff, the Watch, public works or whatever, and last but ain't least, a man of the people." Atramor jerks his thumb back at Ulric. "That makes eight. There's our council. And they can elect whoever they damn well please to step down from their council position...if they are one....and be the face of Eubric. I don't like the idea of callin' 'em a king, but...whatever suits the council's fancy. And Heroica stays neutral. We cut ourselves off from the politics, and remain unaffiliated. If anyone suspects corruption, they report it to us. And we deal with it. Like we do."

"Every angle's covered as far as the city's concerned. There's people checkin' eachother's power, but if things come to a standstill, there's one leader 'round to break deadlocks. And Heroica doesn't have to get caught up in the politics."

"This sound agreeable? Anyone got anythin' else they wanna add?"

Edited by CMP

2 hours ago, CMP said:

"Propose it to the gathered representatives and let them run with it."

7 hours ago, CMP said:

"Every angle's covered as far as the city's concerned. There's people checkin' eachother's power, but if things come to a standstill, there's one leader 'round to break deadlocks. And Heroica doesn't have to get caught up in the politics."

That... could actually work. 

Rone glanced towards the others around the table. 

Any final disagreements? Tweaks? Thoughts?

8 hours ago, CMP said:

"Military defense, business, magic nonsense, science nonsense, foreign stuff, the Watch, public works or whatever, and last but ain't least, a man of the people." Atramor jerks his thumb back at Ulric. "That makes eight. There's our council. And they can elect whoever they damn well please to step down from their council position...if they are one....and be the face of Eubric. I don't like the idea of callin' 'em a king, but...whatever suits the council's fancy. And Heroica stays neutral. We cut ourselves off from the politics, and remain unaffiliated. If anyone suspects corruption, they report it to us. And we deal with it. Like we do."

"I like this idea," Kiray chimes in. "Seems better than a solitary ruler or going back to the Houses."

9 hours ago, CMP said:

"That's about as good an idea as any. The only issue is, who will take up those positions. I know Heroica knows fairly reasonable heads in each organization, but how will each faction appoint their representative in the future? Or do we leave them to figure it out? I guess, we may as well just take it one step at a time? I don't think we should have many more than eight. If a council gets too big it stops becoming a council and starts becoming an endless deliberation. By the way, I think I can figure the others out, but who are you thinking of when you say, 'Public works'?"

7 minutes ago, Palathadric said:

"That's about as good an idea as any. The only issue is, who will take up those positions. I know Heroica knows fairly reasonable heads in each organization, but how will each faction appoint their representative in the future? Or do we leave them to figure it out? I guess, we may as well just take it one step at a time? I don't think we should have many more than eight. If a council gets too big it stops becoming a council and starts becoming an endless deliberation. By the way, I think I can figure the others out, but who are you thinking of when you say, 'Public works'?"

"No factions. I'm thinkin' everyone has a say in fillin' empty seats. That way just because there's, say, a Shadeuax on the council doesn't mean they have to be replaced by another one."

"Public works is, I dunno, buildin's, park, city stuff."

10 hours ago, CMP said:

Atramor scratches his chin, trying to ignore the din under the saloon, for a moment. In his mind, there was no approaching them until they had a solid plan. Finally, he plants his hands on a table.

He then starts gesticulating and pointing at the tabletop wildly, as if it improved his point.

"Excellent, that's more or less what I was going to suggest. Though I was thinking that the 'king' position would be a separate individual who would have the responsibility of casting a tiebreaker vote in case of the rest of the council getting into a deadlock. Though I don't think they should be called king."

Throlar thought for a moment before speaking again. "How's this," he said, "We can have a Minister of Self Defense, a Minister of the Economy, a Minister of Magic, a Minister of Scientific Progress, a Minister of Foreign Affairs, a Minister of Public Safety, a Minister of Education and Infrastructure, and a Voice of the Public. The 'top dog' position can be something like... oh, I don't know, Prime Minister maybe? It's a work in progress really, I did just come up with these names off the top of my head after all. There should also be a treasury and mint responsible for issuing currency and taxing people (preferably rich people). You can't run a government without money."

"As for the matter of Heroica being held accountable to this council, well I think just them taking the time to put a proper code of laws in place and us adhering to it and allowing members who violate it without good cause to be punished should do the trick. And obviously our own leadership should be willing to cooperate with this council, though we should not be part of it."

22 minutes ago, CMP said:

"Public works is making sure the sewer system works properly, making sure garbage is disposed of on time, making sure the walls and buildings in the city don't spontaneously collapse, keeping roads in good condition, building almshouses, hospitals, and schools and seeing that people have access to them, the construction and maintenance of firehouses (places that act as headquarters for people who go around putting out buildings that are on fire), maintaining public parks, and just making sure stuff works."

@Flipz

"Arthur," said Throlar turning to face the man, "while I have a chance, would you mind lending me two of those Z-mail slips? And, err... would you be willing to give me your Sylvania's Cowl? The ability to speak to animals is something I miss about being a Warden. I'm willing to buy it from you if that's what it takes."

Karie excused herself from the table as the political think tank had seemingly come to some sort of a solution. She moved over to the bar, rubbing her hands along the wood. She took a seat, putting all of her belongings down next to the stool. Karie's posture visibly shifted as she let out an exhausted groan, resting her head on the table for a moment, taking in the previous few days. Looking up, Karie tried to cancel out the noise around her as she looked into her glass of water. She knew she couldn't stick around here forever: she had to check on Masson and Rachelle. For now though, things were quiet, and Karie felt too tired to move much. She felt her legs ache, her head began to feel sore, and she noticed her makeup had started to wear off as she looked into her reflection casting off of the water in her glass. She finished of her drink, too tired to reapply anymore cosmetics.

Peace, at last.

"Scheherazade. something for a headache, if you got something like that." 

Sitting back, somewhat as things seem to be taking their course, I let out a sigh.

"I just have to wonder, with all of our talk of Heroica balancing out whatever government is formed, how many of us are really thinking of hanging around? As much as I care for this city...sometimes I just think I'm too tired to keep on sorting out everyone's problems...especially when their problems are on the scale of demonic invasions and suchlike. ...But I guess somebody has to do it.

"I suggest we submit our ideas to the delegates present and see how they respond. Has Attina showed up?" I add the last question somewhat worriedly.

17 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Matthias takes his leave but doesn't get far along the road before he bumps into Chesterine and her mother Zelda.

"Matthias! Oh, imagine seeing you here, we heard the news that things were turning around and Heroica needed help rebuilding."

"Chesterine dear, I believe I can carry on without you. Feel free to catch up with this nice young gnome."

The gnome can only blush as the Ziegfried matriarch marches off.

"Uh, hi, Lady Chesterine. ... ... Could I buy you an ice cream?"

15 hours ago, CMP said:

"So it sounds like you'll have a bunch of guilds runnin' around each with their own agenda and an independent king to try and corral them. Yer guilds are going to be tempted to tear each other down, either through corruption or power, there's no way your less militaristic or capitalistic factions, like the hovels, are goin'' to be able to maintain their independence, without someone backing them up. You'll need another group that operates independently, that the guilds can hold accountable via some sort of laws, but can make sure the lesser factions ain't over-run by the wealthier or stronger guilds. With equal representation all voices within the city should have a say in its governance. Now I don't think Heroica should be that independent group, but I wouldn't object to members servin' on the group."

The Wolf-king scratches his chin.
38613641175_2cbff027fb_t.jpg
"So separation of powers is what your proposing? The diplomatic head of the city, a group of delegates or advisers representing the different factions within the city, and an auxiliary group capable of keeping the other two in check. But how do you propose keeping the auxiliary group from banding together and overthrowing the city?"

"Simple, they hide their identifies. It'll keep them protected from the influence of the other two groups as well as ensuring they can't coordinate for their own personal gains."

3 hours ago, Palathadric said:

"I suggest we submit our ideas to the delegates present and see how they respond. Has Attina showed up?" I add the last question somewhat worriedly.

"I don't think anyone's sent for her yet, do we know how we're going to handle the Bonapartes? Their fleet is a valuable asset to the island, it'd be a shame to lose it completely."

4 hours ago, Kintobor said:

Peace, at last.

"Scheherazade. something for a headache, if you got something like that." 

heroicanpc-scheherazade2.jpg
"Well assuming the Founders didn't get to it, I think Byblos might have left a bottle or two of Metasimian Ale tucked away behind the bar. That'll certainly do it." Scheherazade soon returns with an amber bottle and a highball glass.

1 hour ago, StickFig said:

The gnome can only blush as the Ziegfried matriarch marches off.

"Uh, hi, Lady Chesterine. ... ... Could I buy you an ice cream?"

Chesterine smiles sheepishly,
"You remembered, I don't do that very well." and with that the Ziegfried witch takes Matthias's hand and the two stroll off to an ice-cream social hosted by the academy of enlightenment

4 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"I don't think anyone's sent for her yet, do we know how we're going to handle the Bonapartes? Their fleet is a valuable asset to the island, it'd be a shame to lose it completely."

"Well assuming the Founders didn't get to it, I think Byblos might have left a bottle or two of Metasimian Ale tucked away behind the bar. That'll certainly do it." Scheherazade soon returns with an amber bottle and a highball glass.

Karie opens the bottle of Metasimian Ale and takes a whiff. "Huh. Never smelt something like this before." She pours herself a glass from the amber bottle and begins to drink from the glass. Overhearing Skrall talk about the Bonaparte fleet, Karie picks up an empty bottle from early still on the bar and purposefully knocks it onto the floor, the glass shattering on impact. She points to it.

"There's our chances of getting the Bonapartes to agreeing to maintaining a fleet. We saw to that when we blew up their fort. You'll have an easier time drinking from that bottle than you will bringing Attina around to maintain any sort of a fleet."

24 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"So it sounds like you'll have a bunch of guilds runnin' around each with their own agenda and an independent king to try and corral them. Yer guilds are going to be tempted to tear each other down, either through corruption or power, there's no way your less militaristic or capitalistic factions, like the hovels, are goin'' to be able to maintain their independence, without someone backing them up. You'll need another group that operates independently, that the guilds can hold accountable via some sort of laws, but can make sure the lesser factions ain't over-run by the wealthier or stronger guilds. With equal representation all voices within the city should have a say in its governance. Now I don't think Heroica should be that independent group, but I wouldn't object to members servin' on the group."

"So separation of powers is what your proposing? The diplomatic head of the city, a group of delegates or advisers representing the different factions within the city, and an auxiliary group capable of keeping the other two in check. But how do you propose keeping the auxiliary group from banding together and overthrowing the city?"

Representatives, not guilds. Still, a neutral party isn't the worst idea. How do you intend on organizing that? Picking members and leaders and all.

1 hour ago, The Legonater said:

Representatives, not guilds. Still, a neutral party isn't the worst idea. How do you intend on organizing that? Picking members and leaders and all.

"Guilds, ministries, all the same... as for the other group, I'd say a list is made of suitable candidates, we then determine the 'council', for lack of a better term, through lots. Those chosen will then convene in secret preferably through the use of disguises in a place chosen by the king, from there the council will determine their own business as it relates to the city and the other governing bodies. When a need for a successor is required a short list shall be compiled and a new proconsul chosen and initiated by the king."

3 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Their agenda is the same. Generally speakin'. If each representative is doin' somethin' different, nobody's toes are gettin' tread on. There's no way to tear eachother down because nobody has power over the others, there's no point since every seat is equal, and everyone is servin' the city, not themselves. There is no independence to be maintained, mate, that's the whole point, because nobody is separate. There are no factions or guilds in this plan."

"The problem with the Houses is that each one was its own deal, with their own interests. This ain't that. This is eight people, each responsible for a different function of Eubric. It's not different factions, it's pieces of one faction."

3 hours ago, Kintobor said:

"There's our chances of getting the Bonapartes to agreeing to maintaining a fleet. We saw to that when we blew up their fort. You'll have an easier time drinking from that bottle than you will bringing Attina around to maintain any sort of a fleet."

"Where else are they gonna go? What else are they gonna do? We're leavin' 'em in an impossible position. They put aside their differences and work with us, or the Bonapartes basically cease existin'."

43 minutes ago, CMP said:

"Where else are they gonna go? What else are they gonna do? We're leavin' 'em in an impossible position. They put aside their differences and work with us, or the Bonapartes basically cease existin'."

"I don't know what they're going to do, but I doubt they'll stick around to act as this city's first line of defence from coastal attacks." Karie remarks. "Where will they go? Anywhere that'll take them. I doubt they'll just disappear off the face of the earth. There's several port cities that'd love to have the Bonapartes protecting them. Brendenton comes to mind." Karie gets out of her stool, shaking herself off. Her headache seemed to be dissipating, but she still had a bit of the bottle left, and the headache wasn't fully gone. "It'd probably be best someone went out and dealt with Attina, eh? She is asking for a parlay. Atramor, you want to come along for this? Anyone else interested?"

On 10/28/2018 at 3:56 PM, KotZ said:

"You know what I mean when I said 'friend'," Kiray whispers to Diana, taking her hand and interlocking fingers.

Diana blushes bright red, but tightens her grip on Kiray's hand as she smiles happily.

On 10/29/2018 at 4:23 PM, Lord Duvors said:

"Really?" Throlar raised an eyebrow.

"Well I don't think I've known Kiray long enough to be her friend, but thank you. The name's Throlar Wineghilm." he said extending a hand.

With some trepidation, Diana accepts the handshake, awkwardly using her left hand so as not to let go of Kiray's.

On 10/29/2018 at 4:23 PM, Lord Duvors said:

Throlar looked at the storm of an argument growing around them, sighed, and held up a hand;

"Everyone, please. If I may, I feel we should probably bring a few more people in, specifically the leaders of the remaining major factions in Eubric, before we begin discussing how the city is going to be run. After all they have as much (or more) of a stake in this as we do. And besides, I have some opinions of my own I'd like to state and I don't want to have to repeat myself to them later."

Arthur nods along in agreement with Throlar, but grimaces in dismay as Boomingham pipes up and the arguments begin anew.

22 hours ago, CMP said:

14 hours ago, The Legonater said:

That... could actually work. 

Rone glanced towards the others around the table. 

Any final disagreements? Tweaks? Thoughts?

12 hours ago, Palathadric said:

12 hours ago, CMP said:

"No factions. I'm thinkin' everyone has a say in fillin' empty seats. That way just because there's, say, a Shadeuax on the council doesn't mean they have to be replaced by another one."

11 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

"Excellent, that's more or less what I was going to suggest. Though I was thinking that the 'king' position would be a separate individual who would have the responsibility of casting a tiebreaker vote in case of the rest of the council getting into a deadlock. Though I don't think they should be called king."

Throlar thought for a moment before speaking again. "How's this," he said, "We can have a Minister of Self Defense, a Minister of the Economy, a Minister of Magic, a Minister of Scientific Progress, a Minister of Foreign Affairs, a Minister of Public Safety, a Minister of Education and Infrastructure, and a Voice of the Public. The 'top dog' position can be something like... oh, I don't know, Prime Minister maybe? It's a work in progress really, I did just come up with these names off the top of my head after all. There should also be a treasury and mint responsible for issuing currency and taxing people (preferably rich people). You can't run a government without money."

"As for the matter of Heroica being held accountable to this council, well I think just them taking the time to put a proper code of laws in place and us adhering to it and allowing members who violate it without good cause to be punished should do the trick. And obviously our own leadership should be willing to cooperate with this council, though we should not be part of it."

"Public works is making sure the sewer system works properly, making sure garbage is disposed of on time, making sure the walls and buildings in the city don't spontaneously collapse, keeping roads in good condition, building almshouses, hospitals, and schools and seeing that people have access to them, the construction and maintenance of firehouses (places that act as headquarters for people who go around putting out buildings that are on fire), maintaining public parks, and just making sure stuff works."

"Two concerns: firstly, anyone on the Council has to forfeit their other positions and place their businesses in trust for the full duration they serve, with fully transparent publicly-accessible financial auditing to back it up.  That should cover the loopholes to prevent people from using their office to enrich themselves.  Second, who picks the members of the Council?  I like the idea of a popular vote, but we'd have to put protections in place to make sure Hovels residents get equal and fair access to the polls compared to the richer neighborhoods.  I'd suggest Z-Mail, but that raises neutrality issues, and after what the Founders did hijacking Mom's system I'm not exactly keen on just handing the system over even if it'd make it easier to keep things fairer."

9 hours ago, Palathadric said:

Sitting back, somewhat as things seem to be taking their course, I let out a sigh.

"I just have to wonder, with all of our talk of Heroica balancing out whatever government is formed, how many of us are really thinking of hanging around? As much as I care for this city...sometimes I just think I'm too tired to keep on sorting out everyone's problems...especially when their problems are on the scale of demonic invasions and suchlike. ...But I guess somebody has to do it.

"I mean, I'm staying, if that's not obvious, but then again I'm a bit more directly tied up in all this compared to most.  As for Attina, I'm working on an invitation now, but..."

5 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Simple, they hide their identifies. It'll keep them protected from the influence of the other two groups as well as ensuring they can't coordinate for their own personal gains."

"Hmm.  Remind me to touch on that accountability group thought later, then, for now I need to address the Bonapartes."

5 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

5 hours ago, Kintobor said:

Karie opens the bottle of Metasimian Ale and takes a whiff. "Huh. Never smelt something like this before." She pours herself a glass from the amber bottle and begins to drink from the glass. Overhearing Skrall talk about the Bonaparte fleet, Karie picks up an empty bottle from early still on the bar and purposefully knocks it onto the floor, the glass shattering on impact. She points to it.

2 hours ago, CMP said:

1 hour ago, Kintobor said:

"I don't know what they're going to do, but I doubt they'll stick around to act as this city's first line of defence from coastal attacks." Karie remarks. "Where will they go? Anywhere that'll take them. I doubt they'll just disappear off the face of the earth. There's several port cities that'd love to have the Bonapartes protecting them. Brendenton comes to mind." Karie gets out of her stool, shaking herself off. Her headache seemed to be dissipating, but she still had a bit of the bottle left, and the headache wasn't fully gone. "It'd probably be best someone went out and dealt with Attina, eh? She is asking for a parlay. Atramor, you want to come along for this? Anyone else interested?"

"We still need to decide how we're addressing the Hestia problem.  Are we holding her to account for her failures as Veteran?  Or are we sweeping her under the rug and calling her in as the Bonaparte representative in the vain hope that she'll be more cooperative than her daughter?  I've got mail slips right here, we just need to decide who we're sending them to and what we're telling them.  Personally, I don't see them accepting anything short of the same dominance they had before, which I 100% refuse to accept, so as far as I'm concerned they're more than welcome to eff right off and leave the city defense to Heroica and Tritech, but that's just me.  If y'all want a message zapped off to someone, just say the word and I'll make the contact."

11 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

"Arthur," said Throlar turning to face the man, "while I have a chance, would you mind lending me two of those Z-mail slips? And, err... would you be willing to give me your Sylvania's Cowl? The ability to speak to animals is something I miss about being a Warden. I'm willing to buy it from you if that's what it takes."

"Not a problem, Throlar," Arthur says, handing over the parchments and the Cowl.  "I bought the cowl in hopes of talking more easily to Sir Poletad if we met again, but sadly I... doubt that'll be possible anymore, it has been several years after all and he was a frog.  May it serve you well."

1 hour ago, Kintobor said:

"They ain't a mercenary fleet. They're born Ulanders. They were 'round since the Invasion. Once we tell them what was at stake....explain this whole Rosier thing....they're either gonna be reasonable about it, or they aren't. Keep in mind we saved everyone that was actually at the Fort, and they seemed like a fair sort." Atramor crossed his arms. "Aye. We screwed 'em royally. But they didn't leave us any other choice. The Bonapartes are either going to accept that they chose the wrong side and lost, or they're going to sail off into the sunset with their tail between their legs. First one's preferable. Second one, I mean, Eubric has no shortage of ships, roundin' up a small, defensible navy wouldn't be outta the question. All I'm sayin' is, don't count 'em out quite yet. The Bonies are a royal pain in the megablocks. I known that since I was a pirate. But they've been in Eubric since before Heroica. They won't abandon the city lightly."

31 minutes ago, Flipz said:

"Two concerns: firstly, anyone on the Council has to forfeit their other positions and place their businesses in trust for the full duration they serve, with fully transparent publicly-accessible financial auditing to back it up.  That should cover the loopholes to prevent people from using their office to enrich themselves.  Second, who picks the members of the Council?  I like the idea of a popular vote, but we'd have to put protections in place to make sure Hovels residents get equal and fair access to the polls compared to the richer neighborhoods.  I'd suggest Z-Mail, but that raises neutrality issues, and after what the Founders did hijacking Mom's system I'm not exactly keen on just handing the system over even if it'd make it easier to keep things fairer."

"We still need to decide how we're addressing the Hestia problem.  Are we holding her to account for her failures as Veteran?  Or are we sweeping her under the rug and calling her in as the Bonaparte representative in the vain hope that she'll be more cooperative than her daughter?  I've got mail slips right here, we just need to decide who we're sending them to and what we're telling them.  Personally, I don't see them accepting anything short of the same dominance they had before, which I 100% refuse to accept, so as far as I'm concerned they're more than welcome to eff right off and leave the city defense to Heroica and Tritech, but that's just me.  If y'all want a message zapped off to someone, just say the word and I'll make the contact."

"Sounds reasonable. As for pickin' out the members of this council, I'd say we could put together the right people for the job now, and after that....see, populate vote sounds 'bout right for whoever's representin' the people, but for the rest of the representatives, I think the council should vote amongst themselves. It's not 'bout who's liked best for those roles, it's 'bout who can do the job and get things done."

"I think send messages to Attina and Hestia to parlay. Once we're done explainin' our idea to the people in the Hall, we can invite whoever's present in the fleet to dock with Eubric. We can parlay in the Hall after we have the other leaders on our side. Maybe they can help convince the Bonies to play ball. If Attina's the only one here, I don't think she's gonna wait for mom and pop. I think whoever's there are the people we're dealin' with."

"Far as Hestia's concerned...I don't think she's done her job as a Veteran. I think she's put her allegiance to the Bonapartes ahead of her allegiance to Heroica. This is why we need heroes to stay neutral. We can explain that to her if she's here, and if not, send her a message after we're done dealin' with the rest of this. I think we ought to remove her from Heroica."

Atramor sighs and sits down. He tries to take a sip of rum from his empty bottle, then is forced to take a moment to scoop up a fresh one.

"Let's figure out this council thing. Then the Bonaparte thing. Then the Veteran thing. Keeps things simpler."

He takes a sip of his drink, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand messily.

"Also, best clean up that glass Karie, we ain't thugs in here."

Edited by CMP

As the details seem to get more and more complicated, with each Heroican throwing in their thoughts, Hoke quietly gathers his pack onto his back and slips out the door, glancing back one last time at the people and the Hall.  He closes the door slowly behind him.  He steps out into the street and looks up to see Torc circling.  She lands where he stands, and he climbs up onto her back.  He sits tall in the saddle, looking about one last time.

"It's time to go home," he says to Torc.

She lazily beats her swings against the air, gently lifting higher and higher.  Soon, they are just a speck on the horizon and then nothing at all.

Edited by UsernameMDM

5 hours ago, CMP said:

"Let's figure out this council thing. Then the Bonaparte thing. Then the Veteran thing. Keeps things simpler."

He takes a sip of his drink, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand messily.

"Also, best clean up that glass Karie, we ain't thugs in here."

Skrall pipes up, “We should also figure out who’ll be leadin’ Heroica as well. I think we should keep Asa around for her counsel even if I’m against the Norialis. Unlike Hestia she still strive to remain neutral in all of this and right the wrongs committed by this organization.”

9 hours ago, Flipz said:

"Not a problem, Throlar," Arthur says, handing over the parchments and the Cowl.  "I bought the cowl in hopes of talking more easily to Sir Poletad if we met again, but sadly I... doubt that'll be possible anymore, it has been several years after all and he was a frog.  May it serve you well."

"Thank you. And... sorry about your friend."

Throlar took one of the letters and began to write.

@Palathadric, @Lind Whisperer, @KotZ, @Asphalt, @Kintobor@Flare;

"By the way, said Throlar retrieving the Scroll of Minimization from Benji, "I've borrowed several items from some of you people and I was wondering if you wouldn't mind me keeping some of them? The Spring Staff from Karie, the Trickster's Mask of the Human that Lind gave me, and the Scrolls, Lens of Speed Reading, Splinter Broom, and Shredding Star that Pretzel lent. I have a feeling I'll be needing them in the future if I want to keep doing this Hero stuff."

So saying Throlar returned Ludeus and the Gloves of the Hypocritical/Hippocratic Oath to Vindsval, the Infernal Armor to Pretzel, the Ruby to Lind, and the Emerald to Kiray, as well as returning any of the previously mentioned items to any of their owners who wanted them back.

Edited by Lord Duvors

4 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

"By the way, said Throlar retrieving the Scroll of Minimization from Benji, "I've borrowed several items from some of you people and I was wondering if you wouldn't mind me keeping some of them? The Spring Staff from Karie, the Trickster's Mask of the Human that Lind gave me, and the Scrolls, Lens of Speed Reading, Splinter Broom, and Shredding Star that Pretzel lent. I have a feeling I'll be needing them in the future if I want to keep doing this Hero stuff."

"I still have plans of training as a High Cleric. I'm not sure which role is more needed for the future though. Hell, if I'll be honest, I don't even know if I intend to hang around anymore. God knows I've done my bit for this city and part of me feels called elsewhere, to a quieter existence where I can focus on training people who actually want to learn to do more to help others and not just helping those who are continually in a fight for their own survival due to problems that they helped bring into existence. But, I guess it depends on how all of this turns out. I am somehow inextricably linked with Heroica, and not just Heroica, but Eubric itself. Even if I go, I almost certain that I will at some point find my way back, Heroica is in my blood now. Still, though, I just feel that my time here has torn me away from my purpose of living, spending all my time sorting through other people's problems. But, hell, maybe that's what living is all about, eh?"

On 10/30/2018 at 11:13 PM, Palathadric said:

Ezeran sighs and takes a big sip from his mulled wine. "I will be leaving pretty soon, I never planned to stay this long in the first place and I don't want to risk to lure more demonic powers here. I've lost to many to those realms as it is. By the way..." Ezeran looks around at the hall and the empty seat next to him. "It wouldn't be the same without him." Ezerans gaze locks on to Petaldan and for the first time in a while a smile could be seen  in the old sorcerers face, it could even be mistaken for paternal pride. "My young master knight, how would you like to depart on a journey with me to foreign places and new kind of adventures?" 

On 10/30/2018 at 1:51 AM, CMP said:

22 hours ago, CMP said:

"Their agenda is the same. Generally speakin'. If each representative is doin' somethin' different, nobody's toes are gettin' tread on. There's no way to tear eachother down because nobody has power over the others, there's no point since every seat is equal, and everyone is servin' the city, not themselves. There is no independence to be maintained, mate, that's the whole point, because nobody is separate. There are no factions or guilds in this plan."

"The problem with the Houses is that each one was its own deal, with their own interests. This ain't that. This is eight people, each responsible for a different function of Eubric. It's not different factions, it's pieces of one faction."

"I don't know if a single 'man of the people' will be enough representation," Lind shrugged. "Twenty-seven people may have been a lot to propose, but it would have guaranteed nearly all of the city's people had a chance at being represented."

He shrugged again. "With this new plan...well, I still think it could be vulnerable to abuse - but if we're able to investigate corruption, in some fashion, and the precautions Arthur suggested are taken...well, it seems like it could work."

10 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

So saying Throlar returned Ludeus and the Gloves of the Hypocritical/Hippocratic Oath to Vindsval, the Infernal Armor to Pretzel, the Ruby to Lind, and the Emerald to Kiray, as well as returning any of the previously mentioned items to any of their owners who wanted them back.

21 hours ago, Kintobor said:

The Munchkin frowned. "You're a good friend, Throlar, and I don't want to say no...but I've had that Mask ever since my first quest. It's a bit sentimental to me...I'd rather not give it away."

"I'd join in, but they probably don't want to parlay with a Shadeaux..."

5 hours ago, MysticModulus said:

Ezeran sighs and takes a big sip from his mulled wine. "I will be leaving pretty soon, I never planned to stay this long in the first place and I don't want to risk to lure more demonic powers here. I've lost to many to those realms as it is. By the way..." Ezeran looks around at the hall and the empty seat next to him. "It wouldn't be the same without him." Ezerans gaze locks on to Petaldan and for the first time in a while a smile could be seen  in the old sorcerers face, it could even be mistaken for paternal pride. "My young master knight, how would you like to depart on a journey with me to foreign places and new kind of adventures?" 

14 hours ago, UsernameMDM said:

As the details seem to get more and more complicated, with each Heroican throwing in their thoughts, Hoke quietly gathers his pack onto his back and slips out the door, glancing back one last time at the people and the Hall.  He closes the door slowly behind him.  He steps out into the street and looks up to see Torc circling.  She lands where he stands, and he climbs up onto her back.  He sits tall in the saddle, looking about one last time.

"It's time to go home," he says to Torc.

She lazily beats her swings against the air, gently lifting higher and higher.  Soon, they are just a speck on the horizon.

The Black Knight sighed, sadly. Even as new things began, all of the old was ending faster than he could imagine.

He walked out of the door, stood quietly in the street, and silently saluted as the dragoon and dragon flew away into the sky, a single tear rolling down his face.

Edited by Lind Whisperer