Waterbrick Down

Heroica RPG - Quest #159: An Unexpected Return

"Oh...no, no, no," groans Petaldan in dismay. "I can fight the demon, but I can't fight Skuld or Wally..."

10 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

44999797722_052ffb9a9b_t.jpg
"AH, KINDRED, WORRY NOT, SOON WE SHALL BE ONE."

Ezeran grits his teeth. "I suppose that Meridia and her spouse is enjoying how this is proceeding, I would have thought that she would have had the guts to face me herself." 

Ezeran brings forth his diamond.

The sorcerer turns to Torald and Petaldan and nods with determination. "I want you to know that no matter what happens it's been a true honour to serve as heroes by your side."

10 hours ago, Palathadric said:

"Oh...no, no, no," groans Petaldan in dismay. "I can fight the demon, but I can't fight Skuld or Wally..."

"Those things are not Skuld and Wally they are aspects of demonic realm manifesting itself here, preying on our perceptions and emotions." Dipping his Ooze staff in venom Ezeran points with it towards the figures resembling Skuld and Wally. "They'll probably bleed all the same...."

Edited by MysticModulus
Undid the equpping of hood.

On 10/3/2018 at 4:20 PM, Lord Duvors said:

"Lind, 'I told you so'-isims are not endearing. Now let's focus on the task at hand.

Rone gives a quiet smirk at Throlar's words before turning to the battle.

13 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"YOU SPEAK TOO MUCH, IT SHALL BE YOUR UNDOING, MISERABLE WORM."

You're one to talk. Here, I thought archdemons would have better things to do than whine to a bunch of mortals and a gnome. 

With that, Dyric levels his crossbow at the oncoming specters. He couldn't deny there had been times he'd considered showing up Guts, but this was never quite what he'd had in mind.

Here goes nothing, Boss. Long live the king.

Dyric is ready to fire, when a glint of mental steals his attention. Cronk stands there, in full armour. His vision clouds in the moment. Cronk, Nyx, Bennaton, Guts - people he'd fought beside, people he'd considered friends-

With a shake of his head, he focused himself. These weren't his friends. A few hours ago he had been ready to strike down the Miracleworker for being a mockery, this would be the same. He wasn't fighting his friends, he was fighting for them.

He sighted in on Cronk this time. Guts was going to be a trickier target. With efficiency, he fired on Cronk (Kayla, Bennaton) twice from the back row.

Edited by The Legonater

2 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"YOU SPEAK TOO MUCH, IT SHALL BE YOUR UNDOING, MISERABLE WORM."

Lind chuckled.

"We'll see."

2 hours ago, Palathadric said:

The Black Knight patted the frightened Paladin on the back.

"Don't worry, kid, they're only dreams. The real Skuld and Wally are safe, miles away."

He got down on one knee. "Think of it this way. Your friends are safe - but if you don't fight those dreams, that demon is going to go after them and hurt them.

By attacking those two figures, you're not fighting Skuld and Wally - you're protecting them."

2 hours ago, MysticModulus said:

Ezeran equips his Hood of the Elementalist and brings forth his diamond.

Dipping his Ooze staff in venom Ezeran points with it towards the figures resembling Skuld and Wally.

OoC: Just checked, and you can do all of that in a single turn - I was suggesting you change gear before the battle, but this'll work fine, too. :thumbup:

Edited by Lind Whisperer

On 10/4/2018 at 5:52 AM, Waterbrick Down said:

QM Note: Alrighty folks, full battle is up. Seeing as this is really the final battle of Heroica, please look through it. If there's something that strikes you as completely screwing the party over let me know. If there's something that's going to reduce this battle to a trivial cake-walk, let me know. If no one minds, I'll reserve the right to make changes based on that feedback for the next 24hrs. I'll be up front and let you know that if there's something I've missed, I'll correct it prior to running the first round and will give everyone a chance to change actions if needed.

I could summon Archdemon and have all demons flee the battle right now. :tongue: But seeing as we're trying to kill her, counterproductive.

I should be Hastened (Smelling Salts) and Lucky (Kingpin). You may also want to edit my health to reflect Inspired. Can't believe it triggered only in the final battles. Also, Walking Mountain should be Encouraged while Erik (and Torald, if he was an original barbarian) should be Inspired. I'm still putting together one big battle order, so as far as I'm concerned we're all still part of the same big party. :laugh: 

Can I assume Stuck-fast Sap doesn't apply to ranged weapons?

Atramor sat up, eyes snapping open. In an instant he is frantically grabbing at his shirt.

"What- I don't- oh, HELL!" he yelps, jumping up to avoid the roots snaking around the cavern floor. He backs up into Althior and Hoke. "Damn. I mean...damn, mates, I thought for a second- hell, wouldn't that've been 'bout the most embrassin' thing?" he laughs nervously. "Well, that worked. Damn...that worked."

He shook his head, bringing forth his Mythril Claws from inside his sleeves as Rosier slams vines between the heroes, separating them, leaving the most experienced of them to deal with the archdemon herself. He grits his teeth.

"ALRIGHT! THIS IS IT, MATES! NO TURNIN' BACK! GIVE IT WHAT YA' GOT!"

Atramor whips the Archdemon Summonstone one last time, channeling 175 Mana into it from the back row. The rogue nearly crumples as the demon's massive shadow slides over the room, mirroring its demonic twin sister. Atramor watches, briefly, before pushing himself back up to his feet, gulping down an Elixir fast as he can manage.

Weather becomes Dim for three rounds, everyone deals only darkness-elemental damage as long as the weather is Dim.

"Benji, sleep bomb! Let that damn weed have a dream of her own, everyone focus on the right arm! We need that thing off before anyone else gets here! Front row, mates!"

Battle Order
Center
>Atramor summons Archdemon (-175 health)
>Atramor drinks Elixir
Archdemon does nothing
Euflear vs. Right Arm (Unlucky Crossbow)
Golden Dragon vs. Right Arm (Lance)
Walking Mountain vs. Right Arm (Club)
Luxidios vs. Right Arm (Breath)
Skrall vs. Right Arm (Greatsword)
Torc vs. Right Arm (Breath)
Althior uses Nostrum on himself
Althior vs. Right Arm (Light)
Hoke uses Smelling Salts on himself
Hoke vs. Right Arm (Zoot's Order)
Benji uses Smelling Salts on himself
Benji throws Sleep Bomb

Left
>Boomingham uses Smelling Salts on himself
>Boomingham throws Fire Bomb
>Pretzel uses Smelling Salts on himself
>Pretzel vs. Guts (Tyrant's Maul)
>Arthur vs. Bennetton (Dauntlet Index, thrown)
>Arthur vs. Reflecting Root B (Icy Halberd)
>Karie vs. Kayla (Finely-Tuned Guitar)
>Dyric vs. Cronk (Warmonger's)
>Vindsval consumes Smelling Salts
>Vindsval vs. Kayla (Wrath Lance)
>Lady Luck vs. Kayla (Throwing Knife, thrown)
>Nerwen vs. Chesterine (Mourning Star)
>Miracleworker arc heal if any injured, or vs. Reinvigorating Root C (Staff)
>Matthias heals lowest if any injured or vs. Nyx (Fireball)

Right
>Throlar gives Shield of Invisibility to Kiray
>Kiray takes Shield of Invisibility from Throlar
>Kiray vs. Diana (Hunter's Crossbow)
>Eric vs. Twisted Eight (Godricsleif)
>Heckz vs. Heckz (Darkness)
>Germ throws Fire Bomb
>Germ vs. Reflecting Root H (Flying Talon)
>Torald uses Mead on himself
>Torald vs. Waldorf (Fire)
>Ling drinks Nostrum
>Lind vs. Jinnipher (Bifrost Blades, twice)
>Lind vs. Jinnipher (Bifrost Blades, twice)
>Ezern applies Venom to Ooze Staff
>Ezeran vs. Skuld (Darkness)
>Petaldan vs. Twisted Eight (Slimy Sword)

Edited by CMP

Throlar looked at the... things surrounding the party. Some he recognized; Hoples, the man who had been willing to give his life for the lives of Throlar and his companions, Nazgulie, someone he had until recently believed dead, and Periwinkle, someone he had briefly met on the same quest. He also recognized Heckz, though his presence wasn't surprising, Throlar knew all along that the man only really cared about himself. And finally he recognized Cronk. Throlar had only met the man- well, orc- once, at the very start of his own career as a hero. Now he remembered something that the other paladin had said, 'Duty is an honorable cage'.

I wish I'd paid more attention at the time, Throlar thought, well, I suppose now I get to lock myself in and throw away the key.

2 hours ago, MysticModulus said:

Ezeran grits his teeth. "I suppose that Meridia and her spouse is enjoying how this is proceeding, I would have thought that she would have had the guts to face me herself." 

Ezeran equips his Hood of the Elementalist and brings forth his diamond.

"No, don't do that, there's only one enemy in the entire battle that deals darkness, and that's on a random chance! You're better off leaving your artifacts as they are."

8 minutes ago, CMP said:

Weather becomes Dim for three rounds, everyone deals only darkness-elemental damage as long as the weather is Dim.

Right
>Erik?
>Heckz?
>Kiray?
>Germ?
>Torald?
Lind vs. Jinnipher (Bifrost Blades, twice)
>Ezeran? (If you actually want to switch artifacts you need to specify what you're switching out)
>Petaldan?
>Throlar?

OoC: Good catch on Torald. If the Archdemon's going to make the Darkness dim, that's definitely going to change what Lind is going to suggest Heckz does...

@Waterbrick Down Who is controlling Heckz? If no one is, can I take him over until @Cutcobra returns?

@Zepher Could you post an action for Eric? If not, could I borrow him until we join the Center?

Ezeran was changing out his Etherium Pauldrons for the Hood. Throlar's making a good point, but unless I'm badly misinterpreting elemental damage, I figure wasting a turn now, in preparation for when we join the Center later, could be worse. Still, though, on reflection, it might be better to keep things the way they are and focus on clearing our Flank.

Althior smirks. "Didn't think I'd be able to take down two archdemons... No complaints here!" he takes a nostrum and casts light on the right arm from the front row.

Vindsval lets loose a deep gravelly laugh.

You fiend from the pits, you will not taste my blood, let alone see the realm of my lord.

"Alright, crew, let's start picking out targets!" The Black Knight began to size up the foes on the Right Flank.

"Torald - I'd focus on Skuld or Waldorf, with your Ruby. Not sure how this Weather is going to affect it, but under normal circumstances, you could take out all of the Roots with a single Circle of Might and Magic.

Ezeran, the same. If the two of you can wipe out all of these Roots together, that would greatly help the Center.

Heckz, see if you can use that Amethyst and your Weatherfax Broom to amplify Atramor's archdemon. Try targeting yourself, or Nazgulie.

Eric, possibly Godricsleif against the Eight Ball? The Topaz will help you do damage even despite the bad weather.

Throlar, I can't make any solid plans until you and Kiray figure out what you're going to do, but possibly try attacking Periwinkle or Nazgulie, or Diana. Their Specials aren't bad, but they could slow us down - better to put Lucky heroes on them.

Kiray, the same as Throlar."

OoC: Waiting on responses before I suggest anything for Germ/Petaldan.

4 minutes ago, Lind Whisperer said:

"Torald - I'd focus on Skuld or Waldorf, with your Ruby. Not sure how this Weather is going to affect it, but under normal circumstances, you could take out all of the Roots with a single Circle of Might and Magic.

Ezeran, the same. If the two of you can wipe out all of these Roots together, that would greatly help the Center.

(Are you sure that'll work? The roots are all immune to AoE effects which may include Circle of Might and Magic and Razzmatazz.)

Just now, Lord Duvors said:

(Are you sure that'll work? The roots are all immune to AoE effects which may include Circle of Might and Magic and Razzmatazz.)

:wall: OoC: You're right, just checked the Battle Notes:

...SPECIAL's that target multiple enemies

@Waterbrick Down Am I correct in assuming that a SPECIAL is the same thing as a SHIELD roll?

4 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"AH, LITTLE PUPPET, YOU PLAYED HARD TO GET ONCE, NOW I SHALL FINALLY HAVE YOU."

As he looks at the "Eight Ball". It looks like you already have a puppet, how many more do you need? 

(Free Item Use) Fire Bomb on Reflecting Root H, if still alive attacks H, if H is dead attacks Reflecting Root G with Flying Talon "of the Salamander" from the back row. 

OoC:

I think the free items use should fire bombs on the roots. It might not spread but it should kill it in one hit (if my thinking is right). Plus, everyone probably has enough fire bombs from the last fight.

"Atramor!" Arthur yells, "If you do that none of us can damage the roots at all, and I have no idea if we'll get a second chance at them once the illusions are gone."

4 minutes ago, Flipz said:

"Atramor!" Arthur yells, "If you do that none of us can damage the roots at all, and I have no idea if we'll get a second chance at them once the illusions are gone."

:facepalm: Forgot how elements worked. And I suppose if the reinforcing roots are taken out it won't matter anyway.

"Right...in that case, hold back, big guy."

2 hours ago, CMP said:

(Pretty sure this is wrong. According to both the wiki and the Training Room Dim weather simply doubles darkness elemental damage while halving light damage. Unless there's been some change to how it works that isn't reflected in either source or if someone has an artifact that changes how it works I see no way this statement can be correct.)

(Edit: Just checked, turns out it's a special quality of the Dies Irae ability. It appears I missed it by mistake.)

Edited by Lord Duvors

3 hours ago, CMP said:

I could summon Archdemon and have all demons flee the battle right now. :tongue: But seeing as we're trying to kill her, counterproductive.

I should be Hastened (Smelling Salts) and Lucky (Kingpin). You may also want to edit my health to reflect Inspired. Can't believe it triggered only in the final battles. Also, Walking Mountain should be Encouraged while Erik (and Torald, if he was an original barbarian) should be Inspired. I'm still putting together one big battle order, so as far as I'm concerned we're all still part of the same big party. :laugh: 

Can I assume Stuck-fast Sap doesn't apply to ranged weapons?

Atramor sat up, eyes snapping open. In an instant he is frantically grabbing at his shirt.

"What- I don't- oh, HELL!" he yelps, jumping up to avoid the roots snaking around the cavern floor. He backs up into Althior and Hoke. "Damn. I mean...damn, mates, I thought for a second- hell, wouldn't that've been 'bout the most embrassin' thing?" he laughs nervously. "Well, that worked. Damn...that worked."

He shook his head, bringing forth his Mythril Claws from inside his sleeves as Rosier slams vines between the heroes, separating them, leaving the most experienced of them to deal with the archdemon herself. He grits his teeth.

"ALRIGHT! THIS IS IT, MATES! NO TURNIN' BACK! GIVE IT WHAT YA' GOT!"

Atramor whips the Archdemon Summonstone one last time, channeling 175 Mana into it from the back row. The rogue nearly crumples as the demon's massive shadow slides over the room, mirroring its demonic twin sister. Atramor watches, briefly, before pushing himself back up to his feet, gulping down an Elixir fast as he can manage.

"Benji, sleep bomb! Let that damn weed have a dream of her own, everyone focus on the right arm! We need that thing off before anyone else gets here! Front row, mates!"

Battle Order
Center
>Atramor summons Archdemon (-175 health)
>Atramor drinks Elixir
Archdemon does nothing
Golden Dragon vs. Right Arm (Lance)
Walking Mountain vs. Right Arm (Club)
Luxidios vs. Right Arm (Breath)
Skrall?
Torc?
Althior?
Althior?
Hoke?
Benji?

Left
>Karie?
>Boomingham?
>Pretzel?
>Arthur vs. Bennetton (Dauntlet Index, thrown)
>Vindsval consumes Smelling Salts
>Vindsval vs. Kayla (Wrath Lance)
>Lady Luck vs. Kayla (Throwing Knife, thrown)
>Nerwen?
>Miracleworker arc heal if any injured, or vs. Reinvigorating Root C
>Matthias?

Right
>Erik?
>Heckz?
>Kiray?
>Germ?
>Torald?
>Ezeran? (If you actually want to switch artifacts you need to specify what you're switching out)
>Petaldan?
>Throlar?

QM Note: Stats fixed, Barbarian Chieftain traits taken into account, Stuck fast clarified to cover melee and retrievable weapons.

2 hours ago, Lind Whisperer said:

OoC: Good catch on Torald. If the Archdemon's going to make the Darkness dim, that's definitely going to change what Lind is going to suggest Heckz does...

@Waterbrick Down Who is controlling Heckz? If no one is, can I take him over until @Cutcobra returns?

@Zepher Could you post an action for Eric? If not, could I borrow him until we join the Center?

Ezeran was changing out his Etherium Pauldrons for the Hood. Throlar's making a good point, but unless I'm badly misinterpreting elemental damage, I figure wasting a turn now, in preparation for when we join the Center later, could be worse. Still, though, on reflection, it might be better to keep things the way they are and focus on clearing our Flank.

QM Note:  I'm good with you making suggestions for Heckz.

2 hours ago, Lind Whisperer said:

:wall: OoC: You're right, just checked the Battle Notes:

@Waterbrick Down Am I correct in assuming that a SPECIAL is the same thing as a SHIELD roll?

QM Note: Correct, yes it's SHIELD

Karie came to, jolted awake from the sudden attempts to leave the illusionary hall. She quickly tore the vines off of her and stood up, dusting herself off. She took one look at Rosier and scowled. 

"You are one ugly son of a bitch." Karie states in disgust. She notices her sister form from the dust as she joins the crowd.

Karie targets Kayla from the back row with her Finely Tuned Guitar.

8 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

(I made those suggestions under the impression that we would have a moment to prepare before the battle began, now I'm not certain. Do you still want to spend your action on the exchange?)

If that's the case, since Kiray is hastened she can split up so we can get an attack in.

4 hours ago, Lind Whisperer said:

Throlar, I can't make any solid plans until you and Kiray figure out what you're going to do, but possibly try attacking Periwinkle or Nazgulie, or Diana. Their Specials aren't bad, but they could slow us down - better to put Lucky heroes on them.

Kiray, the same as Throlar."

"I've got 'Diana'," Kiray said through gritted teeth. She accepts the shield and then fires the crossbow at Diana. "Spirits I hope this is just a nightmare."

27 minutes ago, KotZ said:

If that's the case, since Kiray is hastened she can split up so we can get an attack in.

"I've got 'Diana'," Kiray said through gritted teeth. She accepts the shield and then fires the crossbow at Diana. "Spirits I hope this is just a nightmare."

"in that case, Kiray and I should go first, she's immune to free hits and none of these enemies are capable of harming me."

Just now, Lord Duvors said:

...she's immune to free hits...

"Let's be a pain in the side of this demon, especially since they can't hurt me too badly."

2 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

(Sorry to bother you with more work, but I've noticed that Heckz's evil twin has a passive special but what the special actually does is not described.)

OoC: I changed back from equipping the hood. On another note: we are expecting our second child any day now so if I go AWOL you'll know why. Can someone please take care of Ezerans battleactions if I don't answer in 24 hrs?

@Waterbrick Down is it possible I downed a Mead before the battle? Or should I have said that earlier? I understand if that's the case. 

If allowed Torald has already drank a mead before the battle started. He then, in the first combat round, applies a Venom on his trident and shoots a fire ball at Waldorf, back row. 

If not allowed, Torald downs a mead and shoots a fire ball at Waldorf, back row. 

Torald applies Venom on his trident and shoots a fireball at Waldorf, back row. 

Edited by Alfadas

11 minutes ago, Alfadas said:

@Waterbrick Down is it possible I downed a Mead before the battle? Or should I have said that earlier? I understand if that's the case. 

I think you should be encouraged automatically because you are a barbarian.

Pretzel takes a Smelling Salts and Attacks Guts from the Back Row with the Tyrant's Maul.