Waterbrick Down

Heroica RPG - Quest #159: An Unexpected Return

(Two things; firstly, I used my tonic before the battle started, so my ether should be full now. Secondly, I gave the Shattering Arrows (and maybe the Skull Mask, though I'm not certain about that one) to Kiray, so it (they?) should be in their inventory. Other than that, all looks okay.)

Anyone who can push us forward should devote themselves to doing so, for the moment.

The longer we stay out in here, the worse it's going to get. We need to get to the Fort, now

QM Note: The battle is now up, I'll give 72hours before I run the round to hopefully provide time for any questions if anything is unclear.

19 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

Germ keeps an eye out for the enemy to eventually appear...

OoC:

Reveal hidden contents

It look like my status is messed up from the "Tiny Shroom". It seems like you put the +1 on "power bonus" instead of "health". (And I did double check the Hovels thread on page 24. It does say the Tiny Shroom add +1 to health.) 

Plus, I do have a few questions about the Cannons. Are they stuck on a pacific side or it can be switched? And the second question is, does being Lucky affect the aim of the Cannon? (If it doesn't I am not totally sure if I want to use the Nostrum from earlier.)

QM Note: Fixed, enemies are capable of being Grounded and thus open to attacks from melee weapons, but if you'd still like to hold off on the consumable, let me know when you state your action. The cannon may shoot off either side.

14 hours ago, UsernameMDM said:

@Waterbrick Down - Can Torc pick up more party members to give them the "In Flight" status?

QM Note: I will rule yes for now, but they must attack the same target as Hoke and Torc, and Torc will need to spend an action picking them up.

6 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

(Two things; firstly, I used my tonic before the battle started, so my ether should be full now. Secondly, I gave the Shattering Arrows (and maybe the Skull Mask, though I'm not certain about that one) to Kiray, so it (they?) should be in their inventory. Other than that, all looks okay.)

QM Note: Fixed, do note however that a tonic only restores 5 ether.

Are the Black Drakes intended to not be in flight? And does firing a cannon cost no action, a single action or consume a hero's entire turn?

Arthur scans the battlefield, his tactical mind already dropping into place.  "Cannons A, B, C, and D, we need to take out Shadow Drake A, that passive ability is far too dangerous to let stand.  E and F, getting Shadow Drake B down is the next most important thing for you, if someone else can finish it off once it hits the deck that would be fantastic.  Benji, you and Torc are basically immune to the Hunter Wyverns, so those should be your job, alongside Knife-Tongue once one of the Hunter Wyverns is down on deck--double strike the same target for extra damage, please."  Arthur pauses, looking to Atramor expectantly.  "I'm afraid I've lost my touch for setting up Battle Orders tactically.  Pretzel and I can handle the two Obsidian Wyverns, provided he uses his Flying Cross and I throw something else, and of course all our Mages with a Sapphire should be on Wind duty.  Any other priority targets you can see?"

Edited by Flipz

Atramor slid down the ratlines to the deck of the ship, smirking with satisfaction as the ship launched itself into the harbor. It was only seconds that satisfaction evaporated as a single, shifting shadow slid over the sail, the mast, the deck, and he could only look upward in silent awe as the mass of dragons swirled around the party like a storm before swooping down, claws grasping and snatching at anyone they could. He whirled around to squint towards the sea. He couldn't even make out the Fort for all the distraction. He bit his lip and started shouting over the squall.

"Hell! We need more speed! If anyone's got a Sapphire, get it to a mage! Every mage that's got one, get us movin' faster, no matter what! If a mage needs to be hastened and ya've got a spare smellin' salt, do it!"

Atramor darted past everyone manning the guns. "Arthur's got it right, first four cannons on Shadow Drake A, last two on Shadow Drake B, we need 'em down quick!" He also nodded at Bellanotte and Karie. "I'm thinkin' haste and luck. Sound good, ladies? 'cuz ya'll are the experts there."

He then slid to a stop between Dyric and Matthias, clapping a hand on each one's shoulder, stooping slightly to reach the latter's. "Dyric: I want ya' on those Dream Drakes. Right in the heart, aye? Matthias, I assume ya've been takin' care of that scroll. Now's your chance to tame a dragon. Don't blow it in fronta' Chesterine, mate, the gals love a man ridin' a dragon. If we're lucky, Euflear's got the same idea. About the dragon-tamin'."

"If ya' don't have a ranged weapon, throw your weaker bombs, those hatchlin' swarms ain't gonna drop outta the sky on their own! Most importantly, everyone stay in the back so Arthur can cover us!"

With that, he once more drew the shimmery black stone from within his coat, gripping it tight as he could until he could feel it leech the life from him. Atramor gave 175 of his health as mana to the Archdemon's Summonstone, and as the massive demon reached up from the abyss to grasp onto the Magpie, its Devil's Whisper could be heard as far as the Port side of the ship. The rogue then quaffed a Greater Potion from the back row.

Battle Order (Ohh boy. I will update this to be more specific as we go along.)
>Atramor summons Archdemon
>Atramor drinks Greater Potions
Archdemon
>Germ shoots Shadow Drake A
>Waldorf shoots Shadow Drake A
>Torald shoots Shadow Drake A
>Skuld shoots Shadow Drake A
>Germ uses Smelling Salts on Ezeran
>Boomingham shoots Shadow Drake B
>Petaldan shoots Shadow Drake B
>Nerwen gives Torald Sapphire
>Karie sings Rapid March (20 heroes; -40 ether)
>Heckz changes weather to Humid (Water)
>Heckz speeds up the Magpie (Water)
>Heckz speeds up the Magpie (Water)
>Ezeran speeds up the Magpie (Wind)
>Althior speeds up the Magpie (Wind)
>Torald takes Sapphire from Nerwen
>Torald speeds up the Magpie (Wind)
>Chesterine speeds up the Magpie (Wind)
>Chesterine speeds up the Magpie (Wind)
>Bellanotte sings Lucky Chant (16 heroes; -32 ether)
>Bellanotte vs. White Mob A (Flute)
>Dyric vs. Dream Drake A and following two (Warmonger's Crossbow)
>Dyric vs. Dream Drake B and following two (Warmonger's Crossbow)
>Dyric vs. Red Mob A and following two (Warmonger's Crossbow)
>Vindsval vs. Black Drake A (Requiem)
>Vindsval vs. Black Drake A (Requiem)
>Kiray vs. Speckled Wyvern B (Hunter's Crossbow)
>Kiray vs. Speckled Wyvern B (Hunter's Crossbow)
>Erik vs. Gold Mob A (Conspirator)
>Erik vs. Gold Mob B (Conspirator)
>Lind vs. Green Mob A (Wind Spitter's Deck)
>Lind vs. Green Mob B (Wind Spitter's Deck)
>Marco vs. White Mob B (Earth)
>Marco vs. Red Mob B (Earth)
>Euflear tames Vermillion Wyvern A
>Euflear tames Vermillion Wyvern A (or B)
>Euflear tames Vermillion Wyvern A (or B, or shoots Green Drake A with Unlucky Crossbow)
>Skrall vs. Green Drake A (Giant Hammer)
>Skrall vs. Green Drake B (Giant Hammer)
>Pretzel vs. Obsidian Wyvern B (Flying Cross)
>Pretzel vs. Obsidian Wyvern B (Flying Cross)
>Arthur vs. Obsidian Wyvern A (Gladiator's Trident)
>Arthur vs. Obsidian Wyvern A (Gladiator's Trident)
>Hoke consumes Titan Heart
>Hoke vs. Speckled Wyvern A (Zoot's Order)
>Hoke vs. Speckled Wyvern A (Zoot's Order)
>Torc vs. Hunter Wyvern A (Earth)
>Torc vs. Hunter Wyvern A (Earth)
>Matthias casts Scroll of the Chasm vs. Black Drake B
>Matthias heals first injured party member (or shoots Green Drake B with Extraordinaire)
>Matthias heals first injured party member (or shoots Green Drake B with Extraordinaire)
>Benji vs. Hunter Wyvern A (Meduiak)
>Benji vs. Hunter Wyvern A (Meduiak)
>Benji vs. Hunter Wyvern A (Meduiak)
>Knife-Tongue vs. Hunter Wyvern B (Twice)
>Knife-Tongue vs. Hunter Wyvern B (Twice)
>Elphaba vs. White Mob B (Broomstick)

Edited by CMP

OoC: I asked Hoke for a fire gem, I thought he was offering it. Never got it. Do you want to give it to me or keep it? @UsernameMDM

Seeing a literal buttload of dragons around the ship, Torald suddenly feels it might have been a bad mistake to step on an airship... 

Also, does anyone have a Sapphire for me? Torald shouts

OOC: Small note, Pretzel's Defense should be 692 counting Reinforced. :wink:

Ezeran grabs his sapphire and focuses on the void to bring forth winds to fill the sails. The symbiont tries to help by blowing as well with a lingering smell of sulphur spreading around the sorcerer.

4 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

QM Note: Fixed, enemies are capable of being Grounded and thus open to attacks from melee weapons, but if you'd still like to hold off on the consumable, let me know when you state your action. The cannon may shoot off either side.

OoC:

I think will be using the cannon most of the time. So, I want to hold off on using the Nostrum. 

I got another question about a weapon. (Since I think someone is going to ask about it anyway.) Is Lind's "Wind Spitters Deck of Cards" going to cause three hits to the mobs if it hits the target.

Hearing all the commotion and someone barking orders out. All Germ wanted to do was fire the cannon at big stuff to see them explode. 

Free item use Smelling Salts on Ezeran. Use the Cannon on the Shadow Drake A. 

27 minutes ago, MysticModulus said:

Ezeran grabs his sapphire and focuses on the void to bring forth winds to fill the sails. The symbiont tries to help by blowing as well with a lingering smell of sulphur spreading around the sorcerer.

Here, see if you whip up a big tornado now. 

Hearing all the commotion and someone barking orders out. All Germ wanted to do was fire the cannon at big stuff to see them explode. 

33 minutes ago, MysticModulus said:

Here, see if you can whip up a big tornado now.

Edited by samurai-turtle
Trying to fix the format

9 hours ago, CMP said:

Are the Black Drakes intended to not be in flight? And does firing a cannon cost no action, a single action or consume a hero's entire turn?

QM Note: Fixed the Black Drakes, and specified in the notes that firing a cannon consume a hero's entire turn.

7 hours ago, Flipz said:

OOC: Small note, Pretzel's Defense should be 692 counting Reinforced. :wink:

QM Note: Fixed, at this point I should just write "higher than everybody else's." :laugh:

5 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

OoC:

Reveal hidden contents

I think will be using the cannon most of the time. So, I want to hold off on using the Nostrum. 

I got another question about a weapon. (Since I think someone is going to ask about it anyway.) Is Lind's "Wind Spitters Deck of Cards" going to cause three hits to the mobs if it hits the target.

Here, see if you whip up a big tornado now. 

Here, see if you can whip up a big tornado now.

QM Note: Alright, Germ has his Nostrum back. Also, yes I'll rule the Windsplitter deck will deal 3 hits.

7 hours ago, Alfadas said:

OoC: I asked Hoke for a fire gem, I thought he was offering it. Never got it. Do you want to give it to me or keep it? @UsernameMDM

Seeing a literal buttload of dragons around the ship, Torald suddenly feels it might have been a bad mistake to step on an airship... 

QM Note: Fixed, it's in your inventory.

8 hours ago, CMP said:

He then slid to a stop between Dyric and Matthias, clapping a hand on each one's shoulder, stooping slightly to reach the latter's. "Dyric: I want ya' on those Dream Drakes. Right in the heart, aye? Matthias, I assume ya've been takin' care of that scroll. Now's your chance to tame a dragon. Don't blow it in fronta' Chesterine, mate, the gals love a man ridin' a dragon. If we're lucky, Euflear's got the same idea. About the dragon-tamin'."

With that, he once more drew the shimmery black stone from within his coat, gripping it tight as he could until he could feel it leech the life from him. Atramor gave 175 of his health as mana to the Archdemon's Summonstone, and as the massive demon reached up from the abyss to grasp onto the Magpie, its Devil's Whisper could be heard as far as the Port side of the ship.

Dream Drakes, got it. Rone represses a small chuckle as Atramor pokes fun of the gnome, and sights in his next target. His concentration is broken when he hears the ritual beginning behind him.

Uh, Atramor? Are you sure you want to summon him now? You may only get one shot at it.

That is to say, if this is one big multi-phase battle, and you can only summon the archdemon once per battle, using it now may be a waste. Unless, the 10-round rule also applies here, which I think would make sense.

Bellanotte, this is it. Just like we practiced. For the family. 

Bellanotte sings her lucky chant from the back row, while Dyric fires on Dream Drake A (Shadow A, Green A) and Dream Drake B (Shadow B, Green B) from the back.

Couple housekeeping things. So if Dyric is hastened and is hastened again by Karie, is he hastened x3 or x4? Also, CMP, if we're hastening first, should we get the second mistral to play two songs? Also, also, if you're on wind duty and hastened, make sure to get us going as fast as we can. 

Oh, and another thing. Jinn only has physical attacks, right? As in he's worthless for the round?

1 hour ago, The Legonater said:

That is to say, if this is one big multi-phase battle, and you can only summon the archdemon once per battle, using it now may be a waste. Unless, the 10-round rule also applies here, which I think would make sense.

Couple housekeeping things. So if Dyric is hastened and is hastened again by Karie, is he hastened x3 or x4? Also, CMP, if we're hastening first, should we get the second mistral to play two songs? Also, also, if you're on wind duty and hastened, make sure to get us going as fast as we can. 

Oh, and another thing. Jinn only has physical attacks, right? As in he's worthless for the round?

QM Note: For now, yes I'll let the summon stones reset after 10 rounds. The intention behind the 10-round timer is to keep the party moving, if it starts becoming a crutch where-in the party puts things on hold so Atramor can recharge the stones, I may have to revisit it. Concerning Dyric being hastened, it's just like Bellanotte, you'll have 3 actions. Yes the Jinn's attacks are physical, he's only worthless if the Party doesn't manage to ground a dragon.

By the lords of the wind.  That is truly a horde.

Vindsval scans the sky, knocks and arrow in Requiem and chooses his target.

Vindsval Attacks Black Drake B from the back Row with Requiem.

(if hastened repeats his attack)

Edited by Asphalt

OoC: Why is Benji immune to ice? Just wondering, I don't see any item he has that would cause thay immunity.

"HA!!" Benji roars expectantly at the upcoming battle. "FINALLY, This! This is a fight worthy of my time. Bring it on, lizards!" 

Benji looks around at the large array of heroes assembled with him on the boat. "We can do this, fellow heroes! Listen to the advice given by the respected heroes who have more experience in these things. As for me - I'm going to savor this fight. En garde, winged salamander! " 

Benji stops the sudden burst of words to let loose a burst of arrows, as he attacks Hunter Drake A twice from the back row with Meduiak! 

Edited by Flare

3 hours ago, The Legonater said:

Uh, Atramor? Are you sure you want to summon him now? You may only get one shot at it.

"We've got four mages speedin' us up non-stop." Atramor whirled around to point at the hurricane of dragons swirling around the party. "We're not fightin' that, mate. This ain't a battle of attrition; this is gonna be quick and dirty so we can get to the fort as fast as possible."

We have three Sapphires and Chesterine's Zirconia. Each of them should have three actions a round (except this round, where Nerwen needs to give her Sapphire to someone). That plus our base speed means the Magpie moves 1200 feet per round, roughly. This shouldn't take more than four rounds, the Archdemon has as much mana as I can possibly give it and Devil's Whisper really doesn't cost that much. 

Also, I don't think a minstrel can sing two songs at once. Even if they could, neither has enough of a mana pool to boost the whole party, that's why I'm being selective about who gets buffs when.

Petaldan fires his cannon at Shadow Drake B.

"Well, this is almost like a revisit of the last time we quested together, eh, Atramor? Just with dragons instead of demons. Let's deal with them like we did last time!"

Pretzel turns and launches himself at Obsidian Dragon B from the Back Row with the Flying Cross happily missing out on Atramor's demon-summoning antics.

15 hours ago, Flipz said:

Arthur scans the battlefield, his tactical mind already dropping into place.  "Cannons A, B, C, and D, we need to take out Shadow Drake A, that passive ability is far too dangerous to let stand.  E and F, getting Shadow Drake B down is the next most important thing for you, if someone else can finish it off once it hits the deck that would be fantastic

"Arthur, I have an idea! I have a sleep bomb in my possession that could temporarily disable most of our foes on one side and remove the swarms from the battle completely! The downside is that I won't be able to use my cannon if I do that, do you think it's worth it?"

11 hours ago, CMP said:

Also, I don't think a minstrel can sing two songs at once. Even if they could, neither has enough of a mana pool to boost the whole party, that's why I'm being selective about who gets buffs when.

OOC: This is true. Karie can switch songs during a round if she's hastened, but even with the ether pool Karie has, there's no way she's covering the entire party for even a single round unless you had a stockpile of grand tonics and people wanted to turn Karie into an ether-devouring, positive status effect delivering machine. My advice would be to use Karie and Bellanote when you want to make an offensive push. I should also note that if Karie plays the same song for more than a round, the ether cost is halved, so you may want to consider bumping her up the battle order when you really want to spread some damage as she can encourage the party and heal for quite a bit.

Also, let me know where The Fey One's use of the portable catapult would be best utilized. I'm thinking the Shadow Drakes, just because their passive is going to be an issue.

Karie begins to play on her guitar as she steels herself for the coming onslaught.

"Bellanote, whatever it is you plan on playing, my advice is you keep intake with me so we don't sound like a pair of dying gulls."

Karie plays a Rapid March from the back row.

Edited by Kintobor

6 hours ago, CMP said:

"We've got four mages speedin' us up non-stop." Atramor whirled around to point at the hurricane of dragons swirling around the party. "We're not fightin' that, mate. This ain't a battle of attrition; this is gonna be quick and dirty so we can get to the fort as fast as possible."

Boomingham gags and burps violently as the dragons descend, further churning up the sea. "Agreed. This isn't the fight. Just a warm up." Turning his cannon on the target Arthur indicated he smiles at the young mage. "You're much more fun when you're barking orders than philsophizing about sparing criminals, you know that?" Boomingham fires on Shadow Drake B. "Once these suckers start to hit the deck I'm going to need someone else to take over this cannon. I'll do better with a sword in my hand."

Althior looks towards the rest of the mages. “Our goal is to get this ship to the fort. At any cost!” He grips his scepter tight before spinning around, sending two full gusts of wind towards the sail.

6 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

"Arthur, I have an idea! I have a sleep bomb in my possession that could temporarily disable most of our foes on one side and remove the swarms from the battle completely! The downside is that I won't be able to use my cannon if I do that, do you think it's worth it?"

Arthur shakes his head.  "The Dream Drakes are too likely to negate a bomb right now, both before and after it detonates.  Better to keep at the cannon until our priority targets are down."

2 hours ago, Zepher said:

Boomingham gags and burps violently as the dragons descend, further churning up the sea. "Agreed. This isn't the fight. Just a warm up." Turning his cannon on the target Arthur indicated he smiles at the young mage. "You're much more fun when you're barking orders than philsophizing about sparing criminals, you know that?" Boomingham fires on Shadow Drake B. "Once these suckers start to hit the deck I'm going to need someone else to take over this cannon. I'll do better with a sword in my hand."

Arthur shakes his head in amusement and continues barking orders.  "Knife-Tongue will rotate into your spot next Round, then."  Taking a breath to steady himself (OOC: a First Breath if he is somehow hastened or given a second action, not quite clear on what songs we're singing/how they'll interact), Arthur launches a Gladiator Trident at Obsidian Wyvern A from the Back Row.

21 hours ago, Alfadas said:

5 hours ago, Chromeknight said:

Nerwen digs a sapphire out of her satchel.

Who needs this?

I think the Barbarian was looking for one. 

Nerwen pitches the blue gem through the air across the rolling deck, between the milling heroes, landing it unerringly in Toralds hand.

Nerwen hands Sapphire to Torald.

Edited by Chromeknight