Waterbrick Down

Heroica RPG - Quest #159: An Unexpected Return

As the others talked to what appears to be another questionable Hero. 

So, what are we doing? Are we taking multiple boats, or something? 

21 hours ago, Flipz said:

"Nerwen.  It is good to see you again."  Despite the pleasure of reuniting with another long-lost friend, Arthur's heart drops at the realization that the Magpie is otherwise empty.  Fearing the worst, Arthur consults his Magic Compass as to the location of Captain Illdria.

"We could play a shell game with the three ships, assuming their crews haven't been taken.  Truth be told, I was hoping Captain Illdria and her crew could sail around and distract the fort troops from a distance after they dropped us off, but if she's not available--or worse, if they've been taken like so many others--then we'll unfortunately lack that advantage."

Arthur's compass points toward Fort Freedom.

18 hours ago, Asphalt said:

Vindsval crosses over to the ship and braces his feet firmly, it feels strangely comforting to be back onboard a vessel.  

Nerwen was it?  I am called Vindsval.  You say you have a ship, how many could it hold?  We are growing larger in number by the moment, and I fear if we are to put all of our eggs into one basket we would be too easily scrambled.  We have agreed to strike at the same target, but perhaps if we were as arrows shot from many bows, we would have a greater chance.

As the vindicator surveys the ship he notes 6 cannons and figures that she could sail with a crew of four and perhaps hold up to 25  passengers or so.

9 hours ago, Chromeknight said:

Arthur! Munk! This quite a reunion!

speakng to Atramor first, she replies,

I heard loud snores behind one of the hold doors, so yes, there's at least that. I don't know who it is, but if it's one of Illidra's crew, they may know where she is.

As if on cue Knife-tongue the Hobgoblin first-mate comes drunkenly swaying onto the deck, a bottle of Mulled Wine in hand.
15590598007_383e03f36d_t.jpg
"Effrybody off'n ma ship, befo' I wun you fwough!" *Hic*

8 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

"Arthur, would you mind lending Euflear your Winged Sandals for the nonce?"

(Why is Euflear hastened?)

Upon seeing Nerwen Throlar's manner became noticeably more reticent, as if he wasn't sure how she'd react to his presence. He opened his mouth as if to say something, but then closed it again and, while not actively hiding, assumed a position more or less at the back of the group.

QM Note: Sylvan Ranger Trait

Torald drinks one of his Grand Tonics, which should bring his ether back to full. 

14 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

"Arthur, would you mind lending Euflear your Winged Sandals for the nonce?"

"Hmm?  Oh, yes, of course.  Nice catch, Throlar."  Arthur lends Euflear his Winged Sandals.

5 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Arthur's compass points toward Fort Freedom.

As the vindicator surveys the ship he notes 6 cannons and figures that she could sail with a crew of four and perhaps hold up to 25  passengers or so.

As if on cue Knife-tongue the Hobgoblin first-mate comes drunkenly swaying onto the deck, a bottle of Mulled Wine in hand.

QM Note: Sylvan Ranger Trait

Arthur swears violently, before stepping between Knife-Tongue and the rest of the party.  "I didn't get off this ship last time we met, Knife-Tongue my friend, and I'm not about to this time."  The Skirmisher casually fiddles with the unlucky scarf that Knife-Tongue had given him during their last meeting, raising his voice slightly for the rest of the party's benefit as well as Knife-Tongue's.  "Captain Illdria is in trouble, and it's our job to rescue her and everyone else locked up in Fort Freedom.  You down to help, or are we doing this on our own?"

6 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Hi Knife-Tongue, Rone says absently as he turns back to the conversation. 

If people are going back to the Wind Thief then we might as well split up. Could take the Zeigfried ship too, I'm sure, but that divides our forces a lot more. We must have enough people to crew multiple ships. 

"Greetings!" I say, clearly remembering why I had never had a conversation of any length with the slurring...sailor. "Are any of the other crew members still with you?"

3 hours ago, Palathadric said:

"Greetings!" I say, clearly remembering why I had never had a conversation of any length with the slurring...sailor. "Are any of the other crew members still with you?"

8 hours ago, The Legonater said:

Hi Knife-Tongue, Rone says absently as he turns back to the conversation. 

If people are going back to the Wind Thief then we might as well split up. Could take the Zeigfried ship too, I'm sure, but that divides our forces a lot more. We must have enough people to crew multiple ships. 

9 hours ago, Flipz said:

"Hmm?  Oh, yes, of course.  Nice catch, Throlar."  Arthur lends Euflear his Winged Sandals.

Arthur swears violently, before stepping between Knife-Tongue and the rest of the party.  "I didn't get off this ship last time we met, Knife-Tongue my friend, and I'm not about to this time."  The Skirmisher casually fiddles with the unlucky scarf that Knife-Tongue had given him during their last meeting, raising his voice slightly for the rest of the party's benefit as well as Knife-Tongue's.  "Captain Illdria is in trouble, and it's our job to rescue her and everyone else locked up in Fort Freedom.  You down to help, or are we doing this on our own?"

"Awfer?" The hobgoblin blinks before as a look of recognition crosses his face as he takes in the surrounding heroes. "Capfin capfur'd, an' Mefwin and Za' miffin' whe' I'm off showe. Reafy bad spot, dey gonna... gonna sfing 'em all upf!" A few tears form in Knife-tongues's eyes. "I giff anyfing to 'elp fem."

A shriek echos overhead and the party can see they've been spotted by a wyvern, the heroes would only have a few more minutes alone.

24 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

A shriek echos overhead and the party can see they've been spotted by a wyvern, the heroes would only have a few more minutes alone.

Atramor looked up at the wyvern and turns back to the hobgoblin.

"Show us how to sail this thing and we'll get all of 'em back."

Vindsval looks to the sky and spots the flying beast.  He puts his hand to his side and realizes he has loaned his one ranged weapon.

Blocks, We had best be underway.  If we are attacked from the air, does anyone have a ranged weapon to spare?

2 hours ago, Asphalt said:

Vindsval looks to the sky and spots the flying beast.  He puts his hand to his side and realizes he has loaned his one ranged weapon.

Blocks, We had best be underway.  If we are attacked from the air, does anyone have a ranged weapon to spare?

Karie wags her spare guitar at Vindsval.

"I'd say you could borrow this, Vind, but ultimately I'd bet you'd just throw it." Karie teases.

2 hours ago, Asphalt said:

"Here," said Throlar, "I'll give back Verkenner. By the way, I asked this a moment ago but you might not have heard me, may I borrow Ludeus?"

8 hours ago, Palathadric said:

"Pretzel, as I'm returning Vind's weapon, may I borrow your Splinter Broom?"

"Nerwen." Boomingham's face breaks into a smile. "This is perhaps the first good surprise we've had in days. But of course if a brave elf like yourself is looking to turn tail and run, don't let us stop you." He winks before turning on Atramor. "We need to shove off immediately. You've got your plan, we stick to it. Hesitating isn't really a luxury we can afford." He rounds on all the other heroes. "All aboard. I'm slashing these lines in about fifteen seconds."

6 hours ago, Zepher said:

"Nerwen." Boomingham's face breaks into a smile. "This is perhaps the first good surprise we've had in days. But of course if a brave elf like yourself is looking to turn tail and run, don't let us stop you." He winks before turning on Atramor. "We need to shove off immediately. You've got your plan, we stick to it. Hesitating isn't really a luxury we can afford." He rounds on all the other heroes. "All aboard. I'm slashing these lines in about fifteen seconds."

Elves, and boats, Matthias thinks to himself. As if that dragon ride wasn't bad enough. The gnome gives Chesterine a weak smile as he tries to find a spot with a good field of fire.

On 7/19/2018 at 11:50 AM, Cutcobra said:

He then takes out his Bad Luck Charm and tosses it Ezeran, careful not to hit the slimy mouth in his belly.

Ezeran catches the Charm and inspects it, he equips it and nods a thanks in return.

Unable to say how she had missed the burly figure of Lord Lawrence Boomingham except for the crowd, Nerwen breaks into a grin. Catching him in a brief hug, she stands by the wheel and raises her voice.

You heard Boomingham. Let's get underway. If you know your starboard from your port, step to the rigging. If you've got a ranged weapon, find a clear patch of deck, otherwise, get to one of the cannons and begin readying it! Especially you ambassador, make yourself useful for once.

Pretzel hands the Splinter Staff to Throlar and the Flying Cross to Petaldan.

"May they prove useful."

I ready myself to take care of anything that needs doing.

14 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Hoke looks up and spots the lone wyvern.  He looks at Torc and estimates if she can catch up to the wyvern before it can sound the alarm.

14 hours ago, Asphalt said:

If Euflear is taking my handcannon, I suppose you could take Requiem. Just be gentle with her, okay?

13 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

"Here," said Throlar, "I'll give back Verkenner. By the way, I asked this a moment ago but you might not have heard me, may I borrow Ludeus?"

Did he serve you well?  

Vinsval returns the rock broom to its scabbard at his side and draws the massive Ludeas from his back.  He hands the enormous blade to Throlar. (Ludeus: WP: 25 ( Glowing Blade forged from the body of Immortalis. Be free from your endless burden, argent lord of lightning, and allow this blade to carry on your legacy. Successful hits have a 1/3 chance of Awakening the blade's true power, doubling the sword's WP for the next round. Doubling does not compound.Lightning, and Wood Elemental, Greatsword/Longsword.)

Enjoy this my friend, may it cleave as many heads for you as it has for me.  

45 minutes ago, The Legonater said:

If Euflear is taking my handcannon, I suppose you could take Requiem. Just be gentle with her, okay?

Vindsval gingerly accepts the offered bow. (Requiem (WP: 20;Wood and Light-elemental; Longbow))

I will treat he with the tenderness of a mother to her babe.

Ranged weapon in hand he plants his feet firms and prepares himself to be underway.

13 hours ago, Kintobor said:

Karie wags her spare guitar at Vindsval.

"I'd say you could borrow this, Vind, but ultimately I'd bet you'd just throw it." Karie teases.

Vindsval Accepts the Fine tuned guitar (WP 15 user is Lucky)

I would never dream of it, though I doubt much that my song would be up to your standards.

Edited by Asphalt

18 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Barely able to understand the hobgoblin, that is when he heard the wyvern.

Piss!

Thinking maning one of the ship guns might be the wiser move start looking for one. 

13 hours ago, Zepher said:

He winks before turning on Atramor. "We need to shove off immediately. You've got your plan, we stick to it. Hesitating isn't really a luxury we can afford." He rounds on all the other heroes. "All aboard. I'm slashing these lines in about fifteen seconds."

"Aye, judgin' by that wyvern, we're just 'bout outta time anyhow."

6 hours ago, Chromeknight said:

You heard Boomingham. Let's get underway. If you know your starboard from your port, step to the rigging. If you've got a ranged weapon, find a clear patch of deck, otherwise, get to one of the cannons and begin readying it! Especially you ambassador, make yourself useful for once.

"Aye, this is gonna get real rough real fast, so everyone be on your guard. Boomin'ham, once you're done with those ropes grab Eric, we're gonna need this anchor up fast as ya'll can manage." Atramor was quick to make his way to the ratlines and start moving up them with practiced speed. Despite the situation, it felt great to be on a ship again. Getting one ready in a hurry was half his job up until he joined Heroica...but about halfway up, he paused. This was more than a band of pirates. He hung off the side for a moment to yell down at the deck.

"HECKZ! Lind mentioned you're a weather mage - that true?" He cast his eyes over the rest of the party, counting pointy hats. "I count seven other mages here! Anyone that can cast a spell, go astern; once I drop this sail, we're gonna need the steadiest gust of wind ya' can manage, aimed right for the sail! Don't even need a gem with Althior around! Heckz, if ya' can calm the weather surroundin' the ship so that we're not gettin' blown 'round by the normal wind, we should be able to get a straight shot outta the harbor!"

As soon as they are separated from the harbor and the anchor is raised, Atramor will drop the Magpie's sail.

Edited by CMP

6 hours ago, Chromeknight said:

Unable to say how she had missed the burly figure of Lord Lawrence Boomingham except for the crowd, Nerwen breaks into a grin. Catching him in a brief hug, she stands by the wheel and raises her voice.

Boomingham blushes fiercely as Nerwen hugs him. “Who knew you were such a commander? Between you and Atramor yelling out orders you’d think you almost don’t need me here.” Boomingham considers for a moment before stressing: “But only almost.”

30 minutes ago, CMP said:

"Aye, judgin' by that wyvern, we're just 'bout outta time anyhow."

"Aye, this is gonna get real rough real fast, so everyone be on your guard. Boomin'ham, once you're done with those ropes grab Eric, we're gonna need this anchor up fast as ya'll can manage." Atramor was quick to make his way to the ratlines and start moving up them with practiced speed. Despite the situation, it felt great to be on a ship again. Getting one ready in a hurry was half his job up until he joined Heroica...but about halfway up, he paused. This was more than a band of pirates. He hung off the side for a moment to yell down at the deck.

"HECKZ! Lind mentioned you're a weather mage - that true?" He cast his eyes over the rest of the party, counting pointy hats. "I count seven other mages here! Anyone that can cast a spell, go astern; once I drop this sail, we're gonna need the steadiest gust of wind ya' can manage, aimed right for the sail! Don't even need a gem with Althior around! Heckz, if ya' can calm the weather surroundin' the ship so that we're not gettin' blown 'round by the normal wind, we should be able to get a straight shot outta the harbor!"

As soon as they are separated from the harbor and the anchor is raised, Atramor will drop the Magpie's sail.

“It’s too bad we didn’t take Guts’ boat. I wouldn’t mind driving that full force into the fortress and shattering the both of them.”

Once all the heroes are on board Boomingham slices the lines tied to the dock. He and Eric then go and raise the anchor. Boomingham immediately turns pale and sweaty as the waves rock the boat.

1 minute ago, Zepher said:

“It’s too bad we didn’t take Guts’ boat. I wouldn’t mind driving that full force into the fortress and shattering the both of them.”

"Take it from someone who's worked with a lotta dumb pirates in his day, mate; smashin' a wooden ship into a stone fortress ain't a pretty sight. Neither are the survivors," remarked Atramor as he clambered up to the sail.

1 hour ago, CMP said:

“HECKZ! Lind mentioned you're a weather mage - that true?" He cast his eyes over the rest of the party, counting pointy hats. "I count seven other mages here! Anyone that can cast a spell, go astern; once I drop this sail, we're gonna need the steadiest gust of wind ya' can manage, aimed right for the sail! Don't even need a gem with Althior around! Heckz, if ya' can calm the weather surroundin' the ship so that we're not gettin' blown 'round by the normal wind, we should be able to get a straight shot outta the harbor!"

I can take Heckz, Ezeran, and Torald with me to get us moving,” he says, mixing a nostrum, mead, and grand tonic. “You guys probably need all the firepower you can get with those Wyverns, especially if I’m preoccupied. If we need more kick, I trust that Carvenhall can bring the rest back to help,”

Just now, K-Nut said:

I can take Heckz, Ezeran, and Torald with me to get us moving,” he says, mixing a nostrum, mead, and grand tonic. “You guys probably need all the firepower you can get with those Wyverns, especially if I’m preoccupied. If we need more kick, I trust that Carvenhall can bring the rest back to help,”

"Will do. We'll let ya' know if we need help, but seein' as how we're just holdin' em off 'til we get to the fort, I'm thinkin' speed's important here."