Waterbrick Down

Heroica RPG - Quest #159: An Unexpected Return

Rone heard the voice, and slowly glances back over his shoulder, weapon still pointed to the tomb.

A body proves that the Golden Dragon they have is fake. Other signs of disturbance may prove that the Miracleworker revived her, though his survival is a whole separate matter.

At this, Rone remembers who he's talking to.

Matthias, you have a bit of a new lease on life, as it were. What do you make of all this? Ancients Veterans appearing out of nowhere?

23 hours ago, CMP said:

Atramor, with some hesitation, pries open the sarcophagus with his magic shovel.

"Never thought I'd be desecratin' a grave for justice....here goes nothin'..."

Atramor's attempt to open the sarcophagus are met with some resistance. Upon closer inspection, the rogue notices an intricate jade pattern of tiles seemingly jumbled on the tomb's lid. Two of the tiles seem already fitted in place. He could try to force the grave open or look for a simpler way.

39599187034_299231bed0_c.jpg

QM Note:  Send me a PM within the next 24hrs with the unscrambled order of the above tiles for experience. The tiles are in the correct orientation and do not need to be rotated, only their position needs to be changed.The bolded tiles are already in the correct position.The tiles are currently lain out in the following format:
ABCD
EFGH
IJKL
MNOP

9 hours ago, StickFig said:

Matthias, still wondering about the roots burning behind them, watches the others gathered around the sarcophagus. The room gives the gnome the heebie-jeebies... he inspects the solemn cavern, paying special attention to the exit tunnel, and then speaks a strange thought aloud. "What will it prove to open it? What can we find? A dead body would prove nothing, and neither would an empty tomb. Suddenly this feels a very strange place to be for me."

Matthias finds a few other crypts in the side walls of the cavern belonging to other members of the Tiamateus family. The exit tunnel leads further down and in the distance Matthias can see a fiery glow and the glitter of gleaming metal.

On 2/16/2018 at 8:02 PM, The Legonater said:

Rone heard the voice, and slowly glances back over his shoulder, weapon still pointed to the tomb.

A body proves that the Golden Dragon they have is fake. Other signs of disturbance may prove that the Miracleworker revived her, though his survival is a whole separate matter.

At this, Rone remembers who he's talking to.

Matthias, you have a bit of a new lease on life, as it were. What do you make of all this? Ancients Veterans appearing out of nowhere?

Not close enough (or tall enough) to see the puzzle the others are working on, Matthias replies from his spot near the exit. "A body proves nothing - we have no way to know it is the actual Golden Dragon, unless you think Master Althior - or perhaps myself - powerful enough to revive someone so long dead. And every part of that scenario seems like a bad idea to me. But as you note, we have 'ancient veterans' appearing out of nowhere, so I don't know what to think. I suppose if, even after only a few years in Heroica, I have found eternal life - if not true immortality, now that the Norns' artifact is gone - it is possible that others much more experienced and much more powerful than any of us existed. But I don't believe it. I think someone with quite a bit of coin is meddling behind the scenes, and we are in their way."

1 hour ago, StickFig said:

Not close enough (or tall enough) to see the puzzle the others are working on, Matthias replies from his spot near the exit. "A body proves nothing - we have no way to know it is the actual Golden Dragon, unless you think Master Althior - or perhaps myself - powerful enough to revive someone so long dead. And every part of that scenario seems like a bad idea to me. But as you note, we have 'ancient veterans' appearing out of nowhere, so I don't know what to think. I suppose if, even after only a few years in Heroica, I have found eternal life - if not true immortality, now that the Norns' artifact is gone - it is possible that others much more experienced and much more powerful than any of us existed. But I don't believe it. I think someone with quite a bit of coin is meddling behind the scenes, and we are in their way."

Do you really think someone would go to all the trouble of planting a fake body in the Dragon's grave? Someone is meddling, sure, but to what ends?

2 hours ago, StickFig said:

"I think someone with quite a bit of coin is meddling behind the scenes, and we are in their way."

"I'd wager a few of those coins that we will find those answers at Fort 'Freedom', but for now, it looks like this is another riddle to solve."

After a lot of tinkering, the experienced Dyric finally cracks the code and rearrange the tiles.

25478411057_3c2da835be_z.jpg

An audible click resounds throughout the cavern and a previously unexposed seal above the lid is revealed. The party gingerly pushes back the lid and note glowing trap runes covering the original seal that Atramor had tried to force open. Inside the casket the corpse of a woman dressed in scarlet garb lies in repose.

38540687420_fee11fb391_z.jpg

Some lockset you got there Atramor. I might give that another look-over if I were you.

Rone peers into the sarcophagus, fighting through the smell.

Well, I'll be. Certainly looks like the Golden Dragon to me. C'mere, Matthias, take a look. Do you see any signs of tampering?

Hoke pats the assassin on the back and peers into the sarcophagus

Edited by UsernameMDM

18 hours ago, The Legonater said:

Do you really think someone would go to all the trouble of planting a fake body in the Dragon's grave? Someone is meddling, sure, but to what ends?

8 hours ago, The Legonater said:

Well, I'll be. Certainly looks like the Golden Dragon to me. C'mere, Matthias, take a look. Do you see any signs of tampering?

Careful of the glowing trap runes, Matthias climbs up to see. "It looks pretty well intact, so I guess we go with that, but we still have no way to prove it. Whoever is messing with us might have staged this whole thing for all we know. Did you ever see her alive, Master Dyric? Or are you just thinking it looks like her from a portrait in the Hall?"

The gnome looks carefully - without touching! - around the body, and reaches out into the ether, not knowing what he's doing, hoping somehow to find traces of what once was, marks left behind by the life before him.

The gnome looks carefully - without touching! - around the body, and reaches out into the ether, not knowing what he's doing, hoping somehow to find traces of what once was, marks left behind by the life before him.

The body is old, Matthias estimates nearly 200 years, and at this point beyond his Druidic powers of revival.

Careful of the glowing trap runes, Matthias climbs up to see. "It looks pretty well intact, so I guess we go with that, but we still have no way to prove it. Whoever is messing with us might have staged this whole thing for all we know. Did you ever see her alive, Master Dyric? Or are you just thinking it looks like her from a portrait in the Hall?"

13 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

The body is old, Matthias estimates nearly 200 years, and at this point beyond his Druidic powers of revival.

"If you really want to try," Hoke says as he offers the druid his Iceborn's Improved Summoning Amulet. (Can be used once per quest to revive a fallen enemy to join the party. The enemy has a level equal to their previous level, and health equal to the half the health of the hero reviving them. Their class can be determined by the QM, and they cannot be revived by Phoenix Essences. Accessory)

12 hours ago, The Legonater said:

Some lockset you got there Atramor. I might give that another look-over if I were you.

"Yaknow, back in the day, everyone used regular damn locks, I dunno when the hell this nonsense became so damn popular," grumbled Atramor.

Dyric passes a wry grin to Atramor, before returning to the situation at hand.

7 hours ago, StickFig said:

5 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

I suppose you have a point, but I still don't get the intention. Why go through the effort of reviving a Veteran, and then faking the body? Surely an empty grave would be all the evidence they need? No, I think this is the genuine article. 

5 hours ago, UsernameMDM said:

"If you really want to try," Hoke says as he offers the druid his Iceborn's Improved Summoning Amulet. 

Hel, are we really doing this? That seems... unethical. Like we're disturbing something sacred. 

Rone gives a long look to the still body. They needed to be as sure as they could be.

...Give it a shot, Hoke. If it doesn't work, I still say we have our findings. Anyone disagree?

On 2/19/2018 at 4:41 PM, The Legonater said:

...Give it a shot, Hoke. If it doesn't work, I still say we have our findings. Anyone disagree?

"It'll have to the the druid or the prophet who does it.  I believer their ethereal powers are most likely required to do this.

@StickFig @K-Nut

15 hours ago, UsernameMDM said:

"It'll have to the the druid or the prophet who does it.  I believer their ethereal powers are most likely required to do this.

@StickFig @K-Nut

Althior and Matthias glance at the amulet, from a brief analysis it would seem that the restorative powers within would be better suited for raising a hostile corpse, the party may need to seek out someone with more spiritism based skills.

It's a shame you don't have a knack for necromancy anymore, Althior.

For a long, long time, the Heroes take in the sight, considering their next move. Finally, Rone tentatively lifts his head.

Here's what I say. We take a vote. Anyone opposed to the potential desecration of the corpse of one of Heroica's founders, speak up. It's perfectly understandable. Otherwise, if we're all still inclined, we go through with it. And I think I know who may be able to help.

Bellanotte, I heard there were some accusations thrown at the Ziegfrieds. Have they moved shop, and if so, would you know where?

Althior nods. “I have no issues,”

OoC: Sorry for the lack of participation lately. A busy work week mixed with a foot injury have made me forget about this game a bit. Hopefully I’ll be back in full swing early next week.

9 hours ago, The Legonater said:

For a long, long time, the Heroes take in the sight, considering their next move. Finally, Rone tentatively lifts his head.

Here's what I say. We take a vote. Anyone opposed to the potential desecration of the corpse of one of Heroica's founders, speak up. It's perfectly understandable. Otherwise, if we're all still inclined, we go through with it. And I think I know who may be able to help.

Bellanotte, I heard there were some accusations thrown at the Ziegfrieds. Have they moved shop, and if so, would you know where?

39209738684_688c2e3d3a_t.jpg
"I think they're still in town, though most of the family is staying indoors with the latest headlines. Can you believe what they've done to their own children?"

11 minutes ago, UsernameMDM said:

"Let's get this done," Hoke says as he looks around the chamber again.

Aside from the other tomb's Matthias had spotted earlier, the only other noticable feature seems to be the exit tunnel leading away from the cavern opposite where the party had entered.

11 hours ago, The Legonater said:

"Not a bad idea." Atramor frowned and scratched his chin. "But...well, the body's still here, so it's probably been here for a good two and a half centuries. What kinda insights are we hopin' she might have?"

3 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

39209738684_688c2e3d3a_t.jpg
"I think they're still in town, though most of the family is staying indoors with the latest headlines. Can you believe what they've done to their own children?

I'll believe unsubstantiated claims when I see them. The Eubric Herald has an agenda, there's no way the Houses simply all fold at once. Until we figure out what they're motive is, I'll take their news with a grain of salt.

1 hour ago, CMP said:

"Not a bad idea." Atramor frowned and scratched his chin. "But...well, the body's still here, so it's probably been here for a good two and a half centuries. What kinda insights are we hopin' she might have?"

Rone looked down at the long-dead Dragoon. These fake veterans are portraying themselves as the most legitimate form of Heroica. They are playing judge and jury, and will leave Eubric defenseless. The only way we can stop them is to de-legitimize them, and having the Golden Dragon walking and talking with us will do a lot to serve that purpose. 

This is dark, uncharted territory - I get that. She might not be willing to help us at all. But the least we can do is try. 

On 2/24/2018 at 10:38 AM, Waterbrick Down said:

Aside from the other tomb's Matthias had spotted earlier, the only other noticable feature seems to be the exit tunnel leading away from the cavern opposite where the party had entered.

"Should we take this way out?  Torc can catch-up with us when we are outside."

4 hours ago, UsernameMDM said:

"Should we take this way out?  Torc can catch-up with us when we are outside."

Sounds good, I don't think we have reason to investigate the other graves. I'm assuming we're leaving the body here, and coming back for it? There's no sense hauling it around. 

58 minutes ago, The Legonater said:

Sounds good, I don't think we have reason to investigate the other graves. I'm assuming we're leaving the body here, and coming back for it? There's no sense hauling it around. 

Matthias nods assent to the departure plan. "Let's close it back up, and reset the key-tiles. No sense in making it easy for anyone to come through behind us and destroy her." The gnome shivers a little as he looks in again, then helps to close the tomb before heading to the unexplored tunnel.

Whoops! Had a crazy few days at work and lost track of time! I'm so sorry, y'all!