Waterbrick Down

Heroica RPG - Quest #159: An Unexpected Return

5 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Uggg, are we really going down there?"

Matthias gags a little and nods, but without much passion.

16 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Althior's lockpicks work like a charm, the book case slides across the wall revealing a gaping dark tunnel leading downward. Tucked behind the furniture Atramor notes a canister of noxious gas strapped to a trip wire. The stench of decay and rot rise from the tunnel nearly overpowering the heroes.

39209738684_688c2e3d3a_t.jpg
"Uggg, are we really going down there?"

"Yes," Hoke says as he cautiously steps over the trip wire and heads down the stairs.

"Tripwire, ya'll be careful," remarked Atramor as he stepped over it and followed Hoke's lead.

On 2/9/2018 at 3:43 PM, The Legonater said:

As Atramor fumbles with the lock, Dyric turns to his companions.

Hey, Althior. I know it's been a bit, but I can't help but notice an uncharacteristic silence from your corner of things. Have you finally managed to cast off that stupid blue ghost that followed you around?

great... he's asking about me now....

Althior looks over his shoulder suddenly, hearing a whisper in his ear. It was a voice he hadn't heard in a while. He turned to Rone.

"Long story short, he's gone. I'll spare you the details but, since I left after helping the Bonapartes build their wall, I got stuck in a very real, very dark place; hel, I was there until you lot came into that bar. I cut myself off from Heroica, Ethereth, the ether itself. As an embodiment of my connection to the ether, he simply faded." he steps over the trip wire, "He's still rattling around in here somewhere, and when I'm strong enough, I might even be able to bring him back into this plane. But for now, he may as well have never existed..."

how..... sweet of you...

Matthias removes his hands from his nose and places them on the nearest roots, attempting to feel of what nature they might be - what plant or what veins of ore produce such strange formations.

4 minutes ago, StickFig said:

Matthias removes his hands from his nose and places them on the nearest roots, attempting to feel of what nature they might be - what plant or what veins of ore produce such strange formations.

The smell of rot seems to come from the roots. As Matthias places a hand upon the botanical structures he discerns that they are unnatural to this plane.

6 hours ago, K-Nut said:

great... he's asking about me now....

Althior looks over his shoulder suddenly, hearing a whisper in his ear. It was a voice he hadn't heard in a while. He turned to Rone.

"Long story short, he's gone. I'll spare you the details but, since I left after helping the Bonapartes build their wall, I got stuck in a very real, very dark place; hel, I was there until you lot came into that bar. I cut myself off from Heroica, Ethereth, the ether itself. As an embodiment of my connection to the ether, he simply faded." he steps over the trip wire, "He's still rattling around in here somewhere, and when I'm strong enough, I might even be able to bring him back into this plane. But for now, he may as well have never existed..."

how..... sweet of you...

Rone casts a long gaze at the broken mage. They hadn't quested together since, what? Before the assault on Wren? The years had been hard on them both. 

I'm... sorry. 

Look, presuming we all get out of this in one piece, I'm buying you a drink, alright? No one deserves to be left behind like that, no matter what they've done. 

His attention turns to the mess of roots before them.

I might want that fire bomb back, though. Dyric steps closer, trying to see if they might be able to burn through the roots. 

19 hours ago, The Legonater said:

Rone casts a long gaze at the broken mage. They hadn't quested together since, what? Before the assault on Wren? The years had been hard on them both. 

I'm... sorry. 

Look, presuming we all get out of this in one piece, I'm buying you a drink, alright? No one deserves to be left behind like that, no matter what they've done. 

His attention turns to the mess of roots before them.

I might want that fire bomb back, though. Dyric steps closer, trying to see if they might be able to burn through the roots. 

Hoke leans towards the assassin and whispers out of the corner of his mouth, "We could use dragon fire..."

21 hours ago, The Legonater said:

Dyric discerns that the roots are indeed plant like and very likely burnable.

Rone rises to his feet, content with his findings. 

3 hours ago, UsernameMDM said:

Hoke leans towards the assassin and whispers out of the corner of his mouth, "We could use dragon fire..."

By all means, have at 'em. 

6 hours ago, The Legonater said:

Rone rises to his feet, content with his findings. 

By all means, have at 'em. 

Now that he thought about it, Hoke looks around, unsure if a mammoth sized dragon could fit in the house.

"Mayhaps you should just throw the bomb."

7 hours ago, UsernameMDM said:

Now that he thought about it, Hoke looks around, unsure if a mammoth sized dragon could fit in the house.

"Mayhaps you should just throw the bomb."

As you wish. 

Rone untwists the bomb, letting it spark in the darkness. He turns to the party.

Don't gather too close, now.

Dyric grins, and lobs the fire-bomb into the mess of roots, ducking around the corner.

7 hours ago, The Legonater said:

Dyric grins, and lobs the fire-bomb into the mess of roots, ducking around the corner.

With a sizzle and pop, the bomb goes off within the stone passage way. A thick black smoke arises from the burning vines and a maddening painful shrieking seems to emanate from the roots as they writhe in the flames. The blaze is soon put out by a greasy black oil that seeps from the innards of the plant that lets off an acrid smell. Glancing back down the tunnel, the group notes that it will take quite a bit more fire to purge the passageway if they wish to continue forward.

Atramor crossed his arms and glanced sideways at Althior, with a raised eyebrow, and after a moment, decided to toss his Greater Tonic (30 ether) to the prophet.

"Ya' wanna do the honors and light it up, mate?"

7 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Glancing back down the tunnel, the group notes that it will take quite a bit more fire to purge the passageway if they wish to continue forward.

Hoke looks around to see if Torc can fit in the house, mayhaps to use her fire breath to burn through the roots a bit more.

Althior smirks. "I'm a bit rusty, but I guess we'll see," Placing both hands on his scepter, he uses as much ether as necessary to make it down through the tunnel.

2 hours ago, UsernameMDM said:

Hoke looks around to see if Torc can fit in the house, mayhaps to use her fire breath to burn through the roots a bit more.

Hoke is sure that in order for Torc to fit, she would demolish the first floor of the house and even then wouldn't be able to squeeze through the tunnel itself.

37 minutes ago, K-Nut said:

Althior smirks. "I'm a bit rusty, but I guess we'll see," Placing both hands on his scepter, he uses as much ether as necessary to make it down through the tunnel.

A small glow begins to emanate from Althior's scepter, it slowly builds until a scorching ray of flame shoots forth as hot as dragon fire. The inferno begins to blaze through the corridor, smoke billowing out, the shrieking intensifies as the mass of roots are consumed by the ravaging flames. After expending 93 Ether, the way is cleared and the party is able to pass through 100 more feet of tunnel before arriving in a solemn cavern. Situated in the center of the cavern on a raised dais a solitary stone sarcophagi sits, beyond a further tunnel leading downwards.

3 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

A small glow begins to emanate from Althior's scepter, it slowly builds until a scorching ray of flame shoots forth as hot as dragon fire. The inferno begins to blaze through the corridor, smoke billowing out, the shrieking intensifies as the mass of roots are consumed by the ravaging flames. After expending 93 Ether, the way is cleared and the party is able to pass through 100 more feet of tunnel before arriving in a solemn cavern. Situated in the center of the cavern on a raised dais a solitary stone sarcophagi sits, beyond a further tunnel leading downwards.

"Is that it?" Hoke asks as he inspects the sarcophagi.

22 minutes ago, UsernameMDM said:

"Is that it?" Hoke asks as he inspects the sarcophagi.

QM Note: Huh for some reason the picture didn't come through.

26411618678_3809226aa5_o.png

Hoke inspects the lid of the sarcophagi and notes a scrawling script upon its stone surface.

Here lies
YULIANA TIAMATEUS
aka. the Golden Dragon

Veteran of the Orcish Invasion
Founder of Heroica
Died at the age of 72

Atramor, with some hesitation, pries open the sarcophagus with his magic shovel.

"Never thought I'd be desecratin' a grave for justice....here goes nothin'..."

10 hours ago, CMP said:

Atramor, with some hesitation, pries open the sarcophagus with his magic shovel.

"Never thought I'd be desecratin' a grave for justice....here goes nothin'..."

"It is a dangerous business," Hoke said as he willed the dark metallic orb into his hand, ready for what was going to happen next.

Watching Hoke move for his weapon, Dyric tensed up. Following suit, the assassin unslung his massive crossbow and dropped to one knee. 

Matthias, still wondering about the roots burning behind them, watches the others gathered around the sarcophagus. The room gives the gnome the heebie-jeebies... he inspects the solemn cavern, paying special attention to the exit tunnel, and then speaks a strange thought aloud. "What will it prove to open it? What can we find? A dead body would prove nothing, and neither would an empty tomb. Suddenly this feels a very strange place to be for me."