Karalora

Year-Long Project: Through the Seasons

I hope this is the right forum; generic minifig-scale MOCs seem to default to Town but I won't be offended if the mods move it.

For this project, I have put together a very simple build of a deciduous tree, such as you might find in an average American suburb in the temperate zones. My plan is to change it a bit each week, to depict the tree as it goes through seasonal changes over the course of a year.

On January 1, the tree is denuded of not only leaves but twigs, having been pruned by its owner last fall. It snowed earlier in the winter, but it was gusty a few nights ago, and most of the snow was blown off the branches (except for small patches on the leeward side of the tree).

I can't seem to upload the first photo directly, so here's a link:

https://karalora.tumblr.com/image/169200903792

This is a very clever idea. I look forward to seeing the seasonal changes.

Andy D

These are neat. I want to make a beach scene through the seasons in New England (And New York state).

Thank you, Maple! Please do create your scene! I chose a tree because the seasonal changes are pretty well-known and easy to create in a modular way, but I'd love to see something similar done in a different setting.

I will be back in a few months to see how this project ends up. I wonder what kind of tree it is... Oh! Silly me, it's a Lego tree of course!

MAC

I hadn't really given much thought to species...I suppose subconsciously I'm probably patterning it after the sweetgums that grow around here (Los Angeles) and are one of the few local trees to exhibit much in the way of seasonal changes.

I would advise, if possible, setting up a tripod and taking a picture from the same angle/distance every time, so that you can create a nice video at the end.

@Huaijozu

I thank you for the suggestion, but I don't have access to a tripod...or a nice camera, for that matter.

14 hours ago, Karalora said:

@Huaijozu

I thank you for the suggestion, but I don't have access to a tripod...or a nice camera, for that matter.

Your phone is fine - maybe find a few books to prop it up with, across from the tree, to get the same angle every time.  Neat project - can't wait to see where it goes!

6 hours ago, SassQueen said:

Your phone is fine - maybe find a few books to prop it up with, across from the tree, to get the same angle every time.  Neat project - can't wait to see where it goes!

This is a good idea! You can also sit backwards on a chair and use your elbows to get the same height each time and most phones produce some very nice photos. With a a little imagination you can accomplish some nest things.

Andy D

Looking at the three photos so far, I remember now that I decided to take the third from a slightly different angle than the first two to get a better perspective on the bird.

I wish I had the luxury of setting up something permanent to take better photos, but I can't even leave the tree on the table where I have posed it so far. I just don't have enough space in here. :/

Week 4:

https://karalora.tumblr.com/image/169978604752

Continuing intermittent mild thaw conditions have resulted in more icicles and generally degraded the quality of the snow. Some kids tried to build a snowman, but it just wouldn’t mound up properly and they quickly gave up…leaving the carrot they had been planning to use for the nose!

Week 7:

https://karalora.tumblr.com/image/170784133227

I couldn’t do the full update I had planned because the new parts I ordered didn’t arrive in time, so here’s something simpler. The ice from last week’s storm has melted…not only that, but some buds of new growth have emerged on the branches!