Thanks! Please tell me afterwards how do you like the building experience itself and what would you change.
Designing instructions and build flow was bigger part of the job than building the model itself so I am very, very curious!

Absolutely beautiful TIEs! If I had the money, these and Inthert's X-wing would hang from my ceiling! Simply incredible models! :thumbup:

I would also suggest TIE Avenger, and TIE Bomber as my top two. Followed by Vader's TIE Advanced, and then a TIE Defender.

If we're making suggestions I'd clamor for the Tie Bomber. Lego hasn't produced one in years, we have an updated Tie Advanced already, and its a somewhat underloved canon Tie in MOCs.

It'd also serve as a threefer since the Tie Bomber, Tie Shuttle, and Tie Boarding Craft all share the exact same exterior design.  

The TIE Bomber is not ideal for producing now because it will not share any part of the design with these two TIEs I already have. Its hulls' diameter is actually smaller than diameter of T/F sphere. I am a huge fan of T/B design, but in general theory of project management, it is worth to make easy and high-gain things first, then hard with high-gain, then easy with low gain and finally - if you still have to continue - hard with low gain.

T/B falls into second category, but there are plenty of designs - like First Order TIE or TIE Defender - which will reuse a lot of design (even though instructions will most likely be 100% different). Still... if I had to rate my favourite TIEs, T/B would be second only to the Interceptor, so it will definitely happen!

EDIT: as for the TIE Avenger. You mean the one from Lucasarts X-Wing and Tie Fighter game series? The one with slightly flattened sphere and in general looking like a little beefier TIE Interceptor? If yes good news, I like this one, but it is a rare ship and not many people know it.  

Edited by Jerac

I'm absolutely loving the designs Jerac! In fact I've already ordered the instructions and parts and am looking forward to assembling both models. :)

Just a quick question though: one comment I've come across suggested that new(er) TIE pilots don't fit into the cockpit because of their somewhat larger helmets. That doesn't sit right with me but I can't find a picture of one inside so I'd rather check with you. :)

And if you're still looking for preferences on follow-up TIEs, I'm personally quite fond of what they tried to do with the Striker!

6 hours ago, DomMk said:

I'm absolutely loving the designs Jerac! In fact I've already ordered the instructions and parts and am looking forward to assembling both models. :)

Just a quick question though: one comment I've come across suggested that new(er) TIE pilots don't fit into the cockpit because of their somewhat larger helmets. That doesn't sit right with me but I can't find a picture of one inside so I'd rather check with you. :)

And if you're still looking for preferences on follow-up TIEs, I'm personally quite fond of what they tried to do with the Striker!

Yeah, the "head" space for the pilot is 2 studs wide, and a number of TIE helmets are too wide. The Bomber has more space.

Edited by TemjinStrife

I'm guessing those wide helmets include this one and the various print alternatives. Are there any correctly sized and shaped helmets? I'm aware of black stormtrooper helmets on the oldest TIE pilots but those are, ehh, not great.

I am waiting for the new TIE pilot minifig. It is possible the designs will be updated to fix some issues they have.

You'll probably know this by now but the new TIE pilots' helmets seem to come out of the same mould as the previous couple of iterations (at least based on photos). However I managed to fit pilots in just fine: all it took was to replace the topmost 2x2 red corner plate with a 2x1 plate, vacating the space beneath the pair of front-facing 1x1 bricks with a stud on one side, leaving them to attach only to the top 2x6 LBG plate and the two front top quarter domes. Structural integrity remains excellent and now there's a happy TIE pilot zooming around in her Interceptor. :)

This exact change is part of an update which will come eventually, but I got a little stuck on something else. Good to know it solves the issue though, so thanks!

For it to be stable, no. If you add tiles there - which you can do yourself to try it - you will notice top and bottom panel halves won't be fully clipped together, and as a result, they will sometimes disconnect. For display purposes it is enough but the compromise in durability was so big I decided to leave the gaps.

On 5/9/2018 at 12:06 AM, Makin Bacon said:

is it possible to fit a couple of black tiles on those studs where the gap on the wings is?

I know its not quite the answer you were looking for but having built it I can add the model doesnt look bad with the gaps.

With Lego there will always be some compromise made due to limitatioms with bricks but if you compare TLG's Tie to Jerac's you'll see how minor a compromise that gap really is.

Edited by Forresto

I have really enjoyed building these model. I should have taken better notes on the builds but overall, the plans have been very clear. I did assemble all the hinges before putting together various sub-assemblies. The bomber is the most difficult build with the way the ends of the tubes narrow down to match the 6x6 dishes on each end. I've got a couple of Interceptors to go to finish out what I want to build for display and am working on some stands. Anybody out there have a good design?

DSC02496

DSC02494

Hello Jerac and you all!

I finally decided to create an account on Eurobricks, thanks to this topic!

I find these creations absolutely fantastic!
I had already seen the video of Brickvault who was promoting it, but did not know this forum at that time.

Before buying the instructions on Brickvault, I would have liked to know the approximate amount that would have to be paid to get all the necessary parts for create the TIE Fighter for example.
To those who have the instructions and who have had the opportunity to create these models (Forresto, Ecmo47, apparently), can you help me by informing me an approximate price order? Currently, I have no parts because I just go out of dark age and still I do not have access to my childhood sets.

Best regards all.

I'm not the best one to ask that question as I had a bunch of parts, ordered a bunch of parts and built in multiples. Some where, Jerac posted info on the basic cost of parts. The regular TIE should only run about $100, I think. The bomber is the most expensive as it has the highest part count.  I will give you one warning, though. Since these plans have hit the market, the price of Part number 88293 (Light Bluish Grey, Round Corner 3x3x2 Dome top) has become a little scare and expensive. You need eight per ship (expect the bomber).

26 minutes ago, ecmo47 said:

......and 6 to 8 weeks delivery time! Good to know that though....

I have bought a bunch of stuff and its never been more than 3 weeks. I always make sure to group it to be more than $35 so I get free shipping tho :thumbup:

12 hours ago, ecmo47 said:

I'm not the best one to ask that question as I had a bunch of parts, ordered a bunch of parts and built in multiples. Some where, Jerac posted info on the basic cost of parts. The regular TIE should only run about $100, I think. The bomber is the most expensive as it has the highest part count.  I will give you one warning, though. Since these plans have hit the market, the price of Part number 88293 (Light Bluish Grey, Round Corner 3x3x2 Dome top) has become a little scare and expensive. You need eight per ship (expect the bomber).

Yes, sorry I did not see ...
Thank you for this warning!

11 hours ago, supertruper1988 said:

You can get them from shop.lego.com for $.57 each. 

Is the price difference much higher on the LEGO shop than on Bricklink? Are all the existing LEGO parts can be found on the official shop?
I do not know how to proceed at best.

3 hours ago, Khargeust said:

Is the price difference much higher on the LEGO shop than on Bricklink? Are all the existing LEGO parts can be found on the official shop?
I do not know how to proceed at best.

You have to check both if you are looking for parts in qty or the price seems outrageous. I had a look at BrickLink and for this part in LBG, there have been 2 set made, of which one is still in production. The price on BrickLink is averaging over $1 each for these even in "used" condition. 

Since that set is still in production, I figured it was likely that the part could be bought in quantity from bricks and pieces on LEGO.com. They are and they are cheaper than the prices on BrickLink for new parts. 

29 minutes ago, supertruper1988 said:

You have to check both if you are looking for parts in qty or the price seems outrageous. I had a look at BrickLink and for this part in LBG, there have been 2 set made, of which one is still in production. The price on BrickLink is averaging over $1 each for these even in "used" condition. 

Since that set is still in production, I figured it was likely that the part could be bought in quantity from bricks and pieces on LEGO.com. They are and they are cheaper than the prices on BrickLink for new parts. 

What sets you are talking about ?