On 5/18/2020 at 7:31 PM, Redroe said:

(Hi... I'm new) superb design work. I've seen it so many times but only now realised it has the angled 1x2 grill bricks incorporated in the wing. Masterful. Have you a Defender? Watched the Rebels episode which re-introduces it recently, and was reminded how much I like it.

Yeah and finally I have to do that long-promised update. We are out of hatches on bricklink.
It will be just like in FO T/F, no dish in the bottom and more sturdy attachment for the canopy.

Wow, these are amazing.

I built two of your X-wings so far. I would love a T-70 model. The LEGO ones don't close the wings properly and are too bulky.

Hi Jerac, are you still planning to do an update? I’m thinking about having a stab at shortening the front tips of the Interceptor and perhaps extending both the bubble and the back of the wings by a stud; maybe this way the model won’t tip forward. I checked against an (admittedly fan-made) 3D model and it does seem as if the current design is a bit too long. Would be interesting to hear your thoughts on this. 

TF update is already done, and I am now working on the interceptor. They will be released together.

As for wings length - both tips and back parts are too short. Other dimensions and angles are about right.
I am using SW Squadrons 3d models as reference; I believe there won't be anything better available ever.

Kb65OmC.png

I am working on that.

Edited by Jerac

Very nice, thanks for the update and viz. I love the Interceptor but it's the only classic TIE I've kept in a box since moving, solely because of the awkward balance. Would you sacrifice the longer tips if it reduced the forward moment enough to ensure stability?

15 hours ago, danger_cabbage said:

I've made the Interceptor, it just doesn't sit well, is there a design for a base? 

I think this one might work? Hope so as I've ordered the pieces!

The updated designs have been posted on BrickVault for those who haven’t seen yet. Great work, Jerac!

Unfortunately, the 3 x 3 domes, part 88293, are now sold out in lbg on brick and pieces. Does anyone have any insider knowledge as to whether these will be restocked or not?

Sadly I am a bit drowned with internal-LUG-affairs. I'll get to that post, I promise!

2021 remake!

51150465435_b9cff7147f_k.jpg  51148681762_55b5f3ebbe_k.jpg  51150465415_7c47cc1563_b.jpg 51150465355_06f4f76a26_k.jpg 51150140894_3d3efc07d4_c.jpg 

Initially it started as a minor update to fix few issues, most notably weak guns/windshield attachment, but over time scope of the changes grew and grew and grew.

Changes:

- Cockpit now can has space for the pilot in any type of the helmet, including the grossly oversized one;

- Cockpit interior now features new controls layout and few more details; the "bowtie" detail taken almost 1:1 from 20feet's variant, with a slight modificiation to make it match the intended "flow' of the cockpit a bit more to my liking. Big thanks here!

- gun and windscreen attachment is redone to be much more solid; though this particular change was already implemented in First Order TIEs;

- top dish was replaced to use 4x4 one. This is a bit controversional, but bricklink prices for the 6x6 one are extreme, because they appeared on only one set some time ago. 4x4 is much more popular and so this is a better option for a model which is supposed to be built by other people too.

- side struts were redone to resemble original ones a bit more. I had great help here from 20feet who helped me to go through few ideas and find one which is a nice compromise between screen accuracy and fitting rest of the ship's styling. Thanks again!

- side struts were made longer, as I made a slight scaling mistake in the original TF.

- wing/panels are basically an entirely new build. The shape, which has proven to be a little bit controversional due to being much more rectangular, is more similar to what movie and Rogue Squadrons game TIEs are using. I know it is not 100% perfect and a bit too rectangular, but this particular layout enabled me to use most of 1x2 grille bricks, aside from the slopes. I believe it is a good trade-off and the angle is definitely closer to the original, even if wrong in the other direction now.

- I also tried 20feet's vertical stacked bricks idea and it looks great - on black background. It is included in the instructions pack, and is probably the best choice for people who will display the ship against black background. Otherwise, gaps between bricks are quite noticeable. Still - a super interesting idea and one which got implemented!

- New wing cores: Hexagonal, finally! Again thanks for 20feet's insistence on making them better! I thought my original idea was good enough but it was worth pushing a bit more!

- New color variant! This was Charlie's idea (one of Brickvault leads) and I was skeptical even after building it. Thankfully, he insisted and so, over time, this variant grew on me to the point that I now believe it is the best looking one. It is a bit assymetrical but overall a compromise worth doing!

- New universal stand debiuts here, and I intend to use it - in various similar versions - for all future ships in this size.

So, yeah. Quite a remake. I apologize for delaying it this much, especially after repeatedly telling people the update is "soon". Sorry. This is the first time since 2019 where I finally was able to get everything right.

Since T/F shares almost entire core with the T/I, I redid it too:

51148681697_feb384561e_k.jpg  51149587058_3abd54b3e5_k.jpg 

51148681277_f7efb1cf62_k.jpg  51148681687_c8a38ea7c3_k.jpg 

Interceptor shares most of the changes with the Fighter. Initially I did not want to redo the panels - I thought they were perfect, but, well, yeah. They were not. Having Rogue Squadrons 3d models as the sources enabled me to get proper dimensions finally. Ultimately, the panels simply required lenghtening the back part and making those weird offset guns at the tips. I still believe it is an odd choice, but nonetheless, I tried to replicate it.

The red one is a Royal Guard TIE Interceptor and aside from the obvious new racey paint scheme, it also features smaller additions to the wings. I tried to keep the angles same as on the main panels, which was quite a challenge, but eventually it ended up being perfectly possible. 

At this rate, 3.0 is scheduled for release around 2024. Let's place bets on what will change, and please tell me what's the weakest part of those designs, so I can focus on them in the future!
I want to ditch 3x3 dome pieces as they clog up the interior, and this probably will be the focus of 3.0 - if I get some good ideas to try. And who knows, maybe I'll be able to make a perfect T/F wing panel this time? 

3 hours ago, Jerac said:

At this rate, 3.0 is scheduled for release around 2024. Let's place bets on what will change, and please tell me what's the weakest part of those designs, so I can focus on them in the future!
I want to ditch 3x3 dome pieces as they clog up the interior, and this probably will be the focus of 3.0 - if I get some good ideas to try. And who knows, maybe I'll be able to make a perfect T/F wing panel this time? 

I think the most obvious change for 3.0 would be an opening hatch, which may or may not be easier without the 3x3 domes, depends on what you come up with to round it out instead. That's really my only gripe with this updated TIE, since you were able to close up those gaps on the wings that stuck out on the first version.

While it looks like the best T/F moc around, i still don’t like those 3x3 domes.

I may buy the instructions but just for the wings actually and yes the hexagonal core on them is really cool.

It's a great update, even in the places where you didn't take my advice :wink:

On 5/9/2021 at 5:50 AM, Jerac said:

- wing/panels are basically an entirely new build. The shape, which has proven to be a little bit controversional due to being much more rectangular, is more similar to what movie and Rogue Squadrons game TIEs are using. I know it is not 100% perfect and a bit too rectangular, but this particular layout enabled me to use most of 1x2 grille bricks, aside from the slopes. I believe it is a good trade-off and the angle is definitely closer to the original, even if wrong in the other direction now.

By my measure the top and bottom edges are about 1 stud too wide.  That's a reasonable compromise for people who like the grille bricks.  It's a nice texture, but it bothers me that the lines run the wrong way on one side, and the different texture of the non-grilled pieces is a bit messy.

Something I realized too late with my own model is that wear is quite noticeable on the black wing bricks.  I didn't want to shell out for all new bricks, but seeing how shiny your wings are I wish I had.  I'd recommend buying new to anyone planning to build that version.

I made an effort to stagger the horizontal breaks in my wings to keep the emphasis on the vertical lines, but I see you lined up all the 1x1x5s from the outside edge.  It looks quite good in this photo, but I wonder if having the shorter bricks at the centre is a bit distracting from the side?

By my measure the top and bottom edges are about 1 stud too wide.  That's a reasonable compromise for people who like the grille bricks.  It's a nice texture, but it bothers me that the lines run the wrong way on one side, and the different texture of the non-grilled pieces is a bit messy.

That's because I made some tiny mistake. Altough not with this particular area! :D

So the top and bottom are what I intended to be, and, in a way, the front and back parts of the wings also are. But I noticed they clamp together not quite perfectly, because the central grey horizontal spoke was getting into way. So I moved one brick one plate back towards the core, so it would be easier to assemble, and now everything was working smooth and all.

But I didn't notice this also made the wing front/back sections to be a tiny but crucial bit less pointy and thus everything is now a bit too rectangular.

We don't want to push an update right after an update at Brickvault, but I can solve this geometry issue with a relatively tiny fix involving rearranging just few pieces and getting 4 additional jumper plates. Then the distance between front and back tips of the wing will lengthen by about 1 stud and that's about what it has to be.

Something I realized too late with my own model is that wear is quite noticeable on the black wing bricks.  I didn't want to shell out for all new bricks, but seeing how shiny your wings are I wish I had.  I'd recommend buying new to anyone planning to build that version.

Yes... totally. I did not really plan getting them so new and shiny, simply I didn't have almost any and so I bought all 1x1x5 and 1x1x3s at one store which has very good pieces.

I made an effort to stagger the horizontal breaks in my wings to keep the emphasis on the vertical lines, but I see you lined up all the 1x1x5s from the outside edge.  It looks quite good in this photo, but I wonder if having the shorter bricks at the centre is a bit distracting from the side?

To be honest the gaps between bricks are so noticeable and let so much light between them, that the horizontal lines are not really visible. They did not bother me the slightiest.

Edited by Jerac

am I correct in thinking that making the wings slightly pointier will also reduce the size of the gaps above and below the main horizontal spoke?

20 minutes ago, AIex said:

am I correct in thinking that making the wings slightly pointier will also reduce the size of the gaps above and below the main horizontal spoke?

Very slightly, yes. But we're really talking about 1mm difference there at most.

Edited by Jerac

1 hour ago, Jerac said:

Very slightly, yes. But we're really talking about 1mm difference there at most.

It is what it is. They're already very small and not super noticeable if you're not looking for them, much moreso than the previous rendition. I have no doubt that this change will look excellent.

Aeg8UOz.png
Like this.

Right side is fixed, left is original.

Edited by Jerac

Well, if you own the game, you have all its files, including the 3d models, hint hint ;)

You can just google for them too.