Technivor

[WIP][MOC] ARC-170 starfighter

Hi!

First of all, Happy new here to all of you!

Today I am presenting you my first star wars project I'm working on in (I think) 6 years, my favourite ship from my favourite star wars movie: the ARC-170 starfighter!

Arc-170(5)

I didn't wanted to make a ucs model but wanted it to be a little bit larger than the two models Lego has done! But it appear actually to be more to minifig scale than the officials Lego models!

Right now I have encounter a problem that I can't find a way to solve (the base of the ship)

Arc-170(3)

Does someone have any ideas how I could do this part?

Fantastic start, I'm looking forward to seeing the end product! What is the problem you are having with the base of the ship?

1 hour ago, Ellisss_2 said:

Fantastic start, I'm looking forward to seeing the end product! What is the problem you are having with the base of the ship?

Thanks! It is the sloped part where it needs to go smaller towards the front of the ship but there is too much gap at this scale for the technique I've used.

Edited by Technivor

As fan of the ARC-170 myself, I find this absolutely stunning. You simply nailed the nose section!

As for your problem with the gap in the underside section, i would recommend trying to use wedge plates to fill the gaps to the sides.

I hope this can help and i look forward to more progress.

13 hours ago, Thomty said:

superb!

Thanks!

5 hours ago, Cypirate said:

As fan of the ARC-170 myself, I find this absolutely stunning. You simply nailed the nose section!

As for your problem with the gap in the underside section, i would recommend trying to use wedge plates to fill the gaps to the sides.

I hope this can help and i look forward to more progress.

Thank you but the nose goes to thin for me to put wedge plates!

By the way new update:

Arc-170(8)Arc-170(9)

1 hour ago, Technivor said:

Thank you but the nose goes to thin for me to put wedge plates!

Ah yes, I didn't think of that :/

What about replacing the tiles by one of these 12x3 wedge plate, this way it is only one plate's width but with the wedge?

I wish there was a way to make these s-foild thinner. Having 3 stud thick sandwith for the folded wings seems excessive for this scale. But I understand you don't want to loose accuracy and sleek studless look by just using plates. Also I'd suggest checking the width of the back portion of the hull - from the top view it seems to wide and bulky atm.

Impressive speed of design though! Im looking forward for the result.

11 hours ago, krisandkris12 said:

I wish there was a way to make these s-foild thinner. Having 3 stud thick sandwith for the folded wings seems excessive for this scale. But I understand you don't want to loose accuracy and sleek studless look by just using plates. Also I'd suggest checking the width of the back portion of the hull - from the top view it seems to wide and bulky atm.

Impressive speed of design though! Im looking forward for the result.

Thanks!

About the back of the hull, the engines are too short (I've changed that and elongated the wings) as for the bulkiness I think I will change the brick-built triangular windows for the official set's slope windows!

Arc-170(13)

Very impressive so far! This one of those ships I don't really have any interest in building but still love the design, and with the quality of your build so far I have a feeling I'm going to like it even more! Can't wait to see how you tackle those wing cannons! 

Just now, Inthert said:

Very impressive so far! This one of those ships I don't really have any interest in building but still love the design, and with the quality of your build so far I have a feeling I'm going to like it even more! Can't wait to see how you tackle those wing cannons! 

Thanks! For now I don't have any idea for the canons but I have already put some bricks with studs on the side to prepare for it!

Looks great, and you're a fast builder too!

I wonder if the wings will be able to maintain themselves under gravity - I'm assuming you want to build this in real bricks? I see a lot of supports, but fear those will not be enough. Perhaps trying to build those in physical bricks can help you figure this out?

Good luck with your progress!

42 minutes ago, TWP said:

Looks great, and you're a fast builder too!

I wonder if the wings will be able to maintain themselves under gravity - I'm assuming you want to build this in real bricks? I see a lot of supports, but fear those will not be enough. Perhaps trying to build those in physical bricks can help you figure this out?

Good luck with your progress!

Thanks! Yes I want to build it in real bricks but for now with the pieces I have I think I would just be able to make the nose  (and not with the right color). I am finishing school this before the summer so I would certainly be able to start building it this fall.

As for the wings, I am used to build with technic pieces so I think this would do (there is other pieces under the engines to add some rigidity) but if this is not enough It would be easy to reinforce!

Just now, Technivor said:

Thanks! Yes I want to build it in real bricks but for now with the pieces I have I think I would just be able to make the nose  (and not with the right color). I am finishing school this before the summer so I would certainly be able to start building it this fall.

As for the wings, I am used to build with technic pieces so I think this would do (there is other pieces under the engines to add some rigidity) but if this is not enough It would be easy to reinforce!

Ah, okay, hope it will do then. I might be able to build the wings for you (in different colors) to see how stable they are.

Also, I see you using a lot of plates in the wings that can easily be replaced with bricks. Is there any reason for this? I know the plate connection is stronger, but that does not differ that much, and the bricks are lighter and cheaper.

Just now, TWP said:

Ah, okay, hope it will do then. I might be able to build the wings for you (in different colors) to see how stable they are.

Also, I see you using a lot of plates in the wings that can easily be replaced with bricks. Is there any reason for this? I know the plate connection is stronger, but that does not differ that much, and the bricks are lighter and cheaper.

If you want I can send you the current version of the wing fo testing!

The main reason why there is so much plates is because it is more easy to remove or add some layer when some parts of the wing is too thin or to large!

12 minutes ago, Technivor said:

If you want I can send you the current version of the wing fo testing!

The main reason why there is so much plates is because it is more easy to remove or add some layer when some parts of the wing is too thin or to large!

Yeah, that sounds nice, I could figure out most from the pictures, but LDD/lfx is indeed easier :grin:

It would be great if you have the most final version of the wings completed first, and I will then try to make them work and see how they hold up :classic: (saves me doing the build in vain when you'll redesign them anyway ;) )

Ah, that's smart, I try to build physical first, then digital, order parts, then build physical with right colors. Works better for me I think :)

Just now, TWP said:

Yeah, that sounds nice, I could figure out most from the pictures, but LDD/lfx is indeed easier :grin:

It would be great if you have the most final version of the wings completed first, and I will then try to make them work and see how they hold up :classic: (saves me doing the build in vain when you'll redesign them anyway ;) )

Ah, that's smart, I try to build physical first, then digital, order parts, then build physical with right colors. Works better for me I think :)

For now I just need to make the smaller wings but the main buid won't be changed.

Just now, Technivor said:

For now I just need to make the smaller wings but the main buid won't be changed.

Okay, just shoot me a PM with the file when you're done, the smaller wings contribute to the weight too :wink:

On the plus side, I can then also test the mechanism!

The mechanisme is basically the same as the official sets but in a larger scale, rubber band and a beam that force them to open (I think it will need 4 of the small white rubber band on each wing to compensate for the weight).

Edited by Technivor

Very impressive and it seems like you've put it all together really quickly too. Your technic skills also are pretty obvious. I do think it would be a good idea to consider trying to make the s-foils with plates, ideally 2 plates tall maximum. They are quite thin compared to the rest of the ship so I think it would improve the overall look to try and slim them down somehow. Obviously lego has its limits as a medium but I think it's achievable while maintaining some kind of structural integrity. possibly adding a 1x2 cheese wedge on the rear edge of the wings would make the transition in the highlighted area more streamlined as well. Overall this is looking really good and it's obvious you are pretty talented. I like seeing the level of attention to detail that you've aspired to here - the front of the wings for example, it would be easy to leave it perfectly horizontal but the subtle angle is well represented.

yyKHrA9.png

Thanks! but the cheese slope doesn't exist in dark red. For the wings this was and still is my plan to make it with plates!