Sign in to follow this  
SlyOwl

El Bacalao

thindexedgif.gif 43a

Well, here's my entry, as B. suggested. It came about as I wanted to defend my title |-/ but didn't have the right part, so I cheated improvised X-O Not too successfully, mind you ;-)

So you want to be a pirate, eh matey? Ye've come te the right place!

Each time a man escapes from jail, a cruel slave-master or a nagging wife and thinks of setting out to sea, El Bacalao gives him a call. Since 1645, this ship has prowled the Windward passage, selling its Piratical wares to new recruits to the brethren.

A Pirate has lost his sword? No problem, El Bacalao comes sailing into Tortuga and for a shiny 20 coin, it can be his. What's this? An Imperial is deserting in Port Royal? Harr harr! A Bicorn hat 'll do ye fine - we'll make a cap'n out o' ye yet, laddy buck! Narr, it can't be! Captain Roger has lost his Parrot in Kingston! A king's ransom in gold it'll cost ye there! Lucky fer you, El Bacalao is just around the corner, laden with piratical merchandise.

Although normally confined to the Caribbean, this ship has been seen to stalk ships sailing out of eBay, in order to make scurvy dogs out of the underarmed and underclothed sailors that man the dusty ol' ships!

I give you El Bacalao, Piratical suppliers since 1645!

A fine ship 'tis - a single sail enough to outrun the Imperials scum! The lookout, a deserter from the East India company, keeps his eye on the horizon for potential customers, whilst the cap'n models the latest fashion to the world.

10.jpg

A tiller is enough to steer this fine ship, with ropes securing the bottom corners of the sail, allowing it to rapidly unfurl to flee angry customers. Oh aye, we sell it all to any takers, even those Islanders - a fair few monkey's they've had from us. We don't quite know why they keep running out... :hmpf: Such disrespect to our produce!

20.jpg

Lookee there! Maps, telescopes, hooks, peglegs, hats, compasses, rum - and ye wonder where they get it all? And who's that at the helm? ;-)

30.jpg

Pests are not tolerated on board this ship - pet rats belong strictly to the castle and HP folk!

40.jpg

A fine figurehead, almost lifelike...

50.jpg

And our hull.

hull3.jpg

Ye can see more of how our fine shipwright built it here

I hope ye enjoy this fine ship!

SylOwl

Edited by SlyOwl

Mr SlyOwl I love the details you manage to cram into your MOCs - the way you take seemingly simple things and use them to effect is incredible! By this I refer to things like the bucket of hooks or the crates containing parrots and peg legs.

The figurehead is brilliant too! Does that hat fit onto the owl's heat or do you need to use something to make it stay there?

I love this little ship *wub*

the building technique is brilliant.

And it gave me a good idea for the barges on my frigate .

thanks Mr Slyowl :-$

Btw the telescope is pretty amazing as well

I admire the innovative design of this ship.

The way this hull is constructed is UNIQUE!

And all the details give it the finishing touch.

Thankee! :-D

The figurehead is brilliant too! Does that hat fit onto the owl's heat or do you need to use something to make it stay there?

It is mostly balanced, but I did use a curled-up elastic band on the inside of the hat to give it a little more grip, but I still had to be very careful, as I do with my sigowl! :-)

Sly! :-P

Must not get angry... >:-(

Mr SylOwl, you've used a very interesting technique to create the hull for this ship. If I remember correctly there's pictures of the process you used to reach this design, perhaps you could also post them for the interest of others.

Unless of course you want them patterned exclusively to you X-D

I really do like this little trading ship of yours. It looks so simple, yet detailed at the same time :-) The way you made the hull is truly ingenious, and looks great for this type of boat. A great choice of a sail too, makes it look very 'merchant-y'. Great work *sweet*

If I remember correctly there's pictures of the process you used to reach this design, perhaps you could also post them for the interest of others.

Well, there is a link at the bottom of the first post ;-) But here's the best picture and a link

hull2.jpg

-SylOwl :'-)

What a creative way to build a hull. I had never seen this done in a MOC before. Quite clever SlyOwl.

Nice job! *y*

Looks great! You have some great details there!

But, perhaps using these pieces for holding the mast with the kind of system you have there:

3614.gif

Egad! That link is not very visible amongst all that text!

And done! But what does Egad mean? :-$

But, perhaps using these pieces for holding the mast with the kind of system you have there:

3614.gif

I haven't got any of them 8-|

I haven't got any of them 8-|

How is that possible? X-O

You've got every other weird and obscure lego brick out there that's used like an art form with your creations. X-D

You've got some very innovative and creative techniques with your construction Cap'n. *y*

I'm gonna have to borrow steal some of your techniques, like your spyglass. *wub*

I placed this ship into the Index of MOC Ships a week ago. 8-|

I just forgot to tell ya until today. :-$

P

3614.gif

What is that thing anyway?

And done! But what does Egad mean? :-$

It's an interjection used as a mild exclaimation. X-D

Very good although you might want to move the mast forward a bit. As it is it looks a bit like a viking longboat rather than a pirate/imperial navy ship.

Regards, Captain Zuloo :-$

Hmmm... Ya know I think Captain Zuloo has a point here. I knew there was something that looked Vikingish about this MOC but I couldn't put my finger on it till just now.

How is that possible? X-O

You've got every other weird and obscure lego brick out there that's used like an art form with your creations. X-D

Really? I thought my collection was small when compared to many people on here; 12000 pieces at the most. X-D As for the "obscure" bricks, I simply add about 5 strange but possibly useful bricks onto each Bricklink order I do, so I build them up that way. First I go through every category adding the parts I need and want, with any "could be useful" pieces I see, and then knock off most of the pieces as I'm liable to overspend. Then I check that I've got some "could be useful" parts relatively cheaply, and voila! ;-)

Very good although you might want to move the mast forward a bit. As it is it looks a bit like a viking longboat rather than a pirate/imperial navy ship.

I think it's not the position of the mast, but the sail. It was originally designed as a 3-sail sloop, but I couldn't scale the sails well enough or get the right shape. Furthermore, the vertical prow and stern are more Viking-like - Pirates had more curved and angled tips to their boats...so I see where you're coming from ;-)

What is that thing anyway?

I believe that it's a Homemaker figure hand, although it's been used for other stuff too...

Edited by SlyOwl